• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

FranXico

As in previous videos, the dynamic lighting brings everything to life. And you guys are still upgrading it? wow.

Sorry for the annoying question, but like others I am wondering if you are also going to include dynamic weather now that you have a bit more time before releasing the game.

That draw distance, oh my.

You could see into the horizon and not a single drop of pop-in I could see. Next-Gen ... I'm going to love it. And they still have 6 months of optimizations to do? Lawd help us.

Loudninja

I love how in tune Evo is to the internet (i.e. GAF).

It's like they can predict every single place where the game will be criticized on and have a rebuttal for every criticism ready to go.
Yes that's what I love about them very single thing wrong with the videos they tell you about beforehand.

Arukado

R9r5Z3.gif

Looking forward to the improvements.

FranXico

That draw distance, oh my.

You could see into the horizon and not a single drop of pop-in I could see. Next-Gen ... I'm going to love it. And they still have 6 months of optimizations to do? Lawd help us.

Heh, you're right... I didn't even notice how far the draw distance goes.

FranXico

Yes that's what I love about them very single thing wrong with the videos they tell you about beforehand.

It really comes across as very professional of them when right after they post videos online, they tell us about those imperfections and rough edges they are trying to improve, even before anybody else notices it.

I really appreciate their candor.

https://twitter.com/PhenomEvolution/status/393874874755579904

"We captured a few more moments like this today, so expect more before our full race vid (hopefully next week)."

Thank you Rushy. I can't wait for the full race video because of this quote:

The sun, the clouds and the ambient lighting inside the car will all look better soon, because we're about to upgrade the lighting and atmospheric optics. When we do, we will share a full race with you. You won't have to wait much longer.

Racer1977

Driveclub and Crew have nothing in common besides they are both games with cars.

And I am giving my opinion where I say Crew will flop bad - being multiplatform - because that game does not know what it wants to be at all.

Driveclub will do more then fine, especially once PS+ attracts potential drivers, it is a great way to promote and popularize the competitive racer.

Crew is the openrace carnager whose unique features will not even get attantion they deserve becuase of the carnaging, but yeah, I can completely see why it appeals more to ingorant types.
I agree with your view on the sales potential of The Crew, it seems to be one of those driving games that appeals to journalists because "it does something new", but alienates car enthusiasts as you can't relate to it.

Driveclub may not be doing anything too revolutionary, but this has always been a genre were subtle evolution (no pun intended), is the best policy.

jett

D-Member
da krew is betters cuz it's open wurld amirite. OPEN WURLD IS ALWAYZ BETTER NO MATTER WHAT HURHUR

Fucking The Crew. :lol I think between all the genres, racing is where the opinion of game reviewers least matters.

Shaneus

How is it funny? If anything it confirmed what I was saying. I complained that it was only 35% complete and it looked unfinished.

And guess what? It was unfinished, they delayed the game... I'm happy they did though, looks really great in that clip.
Yeah, who'd have thought it would look unfinished at 35% complete?

Vire

Yeah, who'd have thought it would look unfinished at 35% complete?

That wasn't the point, the point was that it was worrying that it was only 35% done with 6 months remaining at the time and that they had a long way to go.

And guess what? I was right. They did have a long way to go, they had to do delay it.

Vire

Yeah I know odd huh!

The lesson here is not to judge something so quickly.We know how Evolution works yet people keep doing the same thing.

There is no lesson to be learned. I was right in that they needed more time to get it to the level it needed to be.

I don't apologize for that thread, the game looked like a disaster at that point, and I wasn't surprised with the delay.

If they didn't delay the game and the game came out looking like this, you might have had a point.

That wasn't the point, the point was that it was worrying that it was only 35% done with 6 months remaining at the time and that they had a long way to go.

And guess what? I was right. They did have a long way to go, they had to do delay it.

There's no such thing as a "point" in your OP post in that thread.

Bad framerate, pop in everywhere, foliage looks like ass, very unpolished looking:

High quality vid from showfloor:

http://gamersyde.com/news_e3_two_videos_of_driveclub-14226_en.html

Cockpit View

External View

1080P Offscreen Youtube.

Very disappointing, and now the whole "it's free with PSN" is starting to make sense. So far I'd definitely would give the edge to Forza.

The screenshots released a while back are not indicative of what the game actually plays like. Infamous/Killzone poop all over this.

You're just saying "it looks bad", to which most people replied "yeah, it's representative of 1/3 of development time".

Vire

There's no such thing as a "point" in your OP post in that thread.

You're just saying "it looks bad", to which most people replied "yeah, it's representative of 1/3 of development time".

It did look bad? I'm not sure what there is to apologize about, it looked awful compared to the other launch titles. And it needed to be delayed because it wasn't were it should have been at the time of the E3 demo.

If it wasn't delayed and came out looking like this:

ibrWwxVIIJtsaW.gif

Then I would have gladly ate the crow.

But it didn't. Period.

Vire

Look we don't need to argue about old ancient stuff just saying we need to not be so quick to judge anymore.

You say quick to judge but I was going in with the expectation that they had only 6 months left to get in done, not close a year.

If I knew it was coming out in 2014, I wouldn't have been as critical - I assumed it was going to be a launch title like they told us.

Dibbz

You say quick to judge but I was going in with the expectation that they had only 6 months left to get in done, not close a year.

If I knew it was coming out in 2014, I wouldn't have been as critical - I assumed it was going to be a launch title like they told us.

Seen the recent stuff from DC? It all looks miles ahead of the demo. If they released it in this state you'd be eating crow because it looks great. We don't know the ins and outs of the delay. For all we know it could be down to some sort of issue with gameplay features, ai, networking etc etc and not to do with improving the graphical fidelity.

Vire

Seen the recent stuff from DC? It all looks miles ahead of the demo. If they released it in this state you'd be eating crow because it looks great. We don't know the ins and outs of the delay. For all we know it could be down to some sort of issue with gameplay features, ai, networking etc etc and not to do with improving the graphical fidelity.

As great as it looks, it still does not look nearly as good as the initial reveal trailer.

They released a bullshot trailer, followed up with extremely underwhelming gameplay at E3 that was no way indicative of the quality of the initial reveal.

Realizing that the game wasn't where they said it should be for launch (like I said), they delay the game to fully deliver on what was originally promised, and I'm the one who needs to apologize? No sir, you can thank Evolution for releasing the initial reveal trailer that was full of horseshit.

Realizing that the game wasn't where they said it should be for launch, they delay the game to fully deliver on what was originally promised, and I'm the one who needs to apologize? No sir, you can thank Evolution for releasing the initial reveal trailer that was full of horseshit.

It was using in-game assets to produce a trailer for a game that wasn't going to be released for months. Considering you complain if they release a demo of work-in-progress then complain if they release a video representing the end of development, I'm afraid the game isn't the one full of horseshit here.

Vire

It was using in-game assets to produce a trailer for a game that wasn't going to be released for months. The game isn't the one full of horseshit here.

Your right, months as in not the 6 months originally planned to get it to that level. Delayed into 2014 months kinda months.

I'm not a mind reader and I had no idea they were going to delay the game at the time of the E3 gameplay demonstration. Hindsight is 20/20. Evolution is a great team, but they aren't miracle workers. To take it from where it was at E3 to the bullshot trailer, was simply not possible in the time given.

Cuyejo

Hoping the next video is encoded properly and sent to gamersyde. It's the only way to appreciate the graphics upgrades.

Vire

Hoping the next video is encoded properly and sent to gamersyde. It's the only way to appreciate the graphics upgrades.

I imagine the full race that is coming next week will be given to Gamersyde. Seems a bit silly to send over an 11 second clip.

Your right, months as in not the 6 months originally planned to get it to that level. Delayed into 2014 months kinda months.

I'm not a mind reader and I had no idea they were going to delay the game at the time of the E3 gameplay demonstration. Hindsight is 20/20. Evolution is a great team, but they aren't miracle workers. To take it from where it was at E3 to the bullshot trailer, was simply not possible in the time given.

You're using the delay to fit your narrative.

As you mentioned you did not know there would be a delay at the time of the original topic, and you basically said

"it looks like shit, now I understand why they are releasing for free on PSN".

They are not the words of someone who thought it could be improved with time, be that 6 months or 12 months.

Dibbz

Realizing that the game wasn't where they said it should be for launch (like I said), they delay the game to fully deliver on what was originally promised, and I'm the one who needs to apologize? No sir, you can thank Evolution for releasing the initial reveal trailer that was full of horseshit.

You keep pulling this fact out of nowhere. We don't know what the delay was for. We've seen almost nothing outside of that demo and the Chile video.

Vire

You're using the delay to fit your narrative.

As you mentioned you did not know there would be a delay at the time of the original topic, and you basically said

"it looks like shit, now I understand why they are releasing for free on PSN".

They are not the words of someone who thought it could be improved with time, be that 6 months or 12 months.

Ok, sure.

I said I was skeptical not two posts later that they could finish it in 6 months being only 35% done.

Amusingly enough, this guy was closer than he could have imagined when replying to my post.

I don't get why you are arguing with me over this, the game was an unmitigated disaster at E3 and you should be happy that it was delayed.

Skeff

Ok, sure.

I said I was skeptical not two posts later that they could finish it in 6 months being only 35% done.

Amusingly enough, this guy was closer than he could have imagined when replying to my post.

I don't get why you are arguing with me over this, the game was an unmitigated disaster at E3 and you should be happy that people complained enough, because the game got delayed.

Just to clarify, showing a 35% complete build in June does not mean development is only 35% complete in June, that's not how these trade shows work.

Vire

You keep pulling this fact out of nowhere. We don't know what the delay was for. We've seen almost nothing outside of that demo and the Chile video.

The delay was to improve the game as a whole, including the visuals:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/18/driveclub-update/

Shuhei Yoshida said:
DRIVECLUB is a really ambitious racing title and the game is looking stunning. The extra time we’re giving the team means the visuals and overall experience are only going to get better. We can assure you that it will be worth the wait.

They already said that they are currently working on improving the ambient lighting in the Facebook post today. The game would have had to go gold by now already to meet the launch deadline.

Dibbz

Ok, sure.

I don't get why you are arguing with me over this, the game was an unmitigated disaster at E3 and you should be happy that it was delayed.

You keep saying it was delayed simply to improve the visuals. Where are you getting this from?

Edit;- That hardly means that is the sole reason for the delay. Of course everything will get a polish with the extra time, that is a given. My point is you make it sound like if the game released on PS4 launch it would look like the build from 4 months or so ago. I'm saying the game right now looks amazing and this is before the delay time to work on it.

viveks86

Can everyone please give Vire a break? Hindsight is always 20/20. Vire had every right to be disappointed when the game looked rough, just as many of us had the right to be optimistic. Can we stop dwelling on it? Looks like an overwhelming majority, including Vire, recognize the giant leaps Evo has made since then. So who cares what was said before?

Just let it go y'all. :)

Vire

Can everyone please give Vire a break? Hindsight is always 20/20. Vire had every right to be disappointed when the game looked rough, just as many of us had the right to be optimistic. Can we stop dwelling on it? Looks like an overwhelming majority, including Vire, recognize the giant leaps Evo has made since then. So who cares what was said before?

Thank you.

I'm very optimistic about the game since the delay because I feel like they won't have to compromise on their original vision. It's currently my most anticipated 2014 release, even over Infamous and Titanfall.

I've been waiting for a game like this since PGR4.

Dibbz

You don't understand. I have a stockpile of crow and it ain't gonna eat itself.

OK Vire but please take one thing away from this.

Motorstorm looked underwhelming when demoed, looked amazing at release
Pacific Rift looked underwhelming when demoed, looked amazing at release
Apocalypse looked underwhelming when demoed, looked amazing at release

Evo Studios know what they are doing.

Top Bottom