• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM scores (Issue 221)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Bebpo said:
The biggest news really are the Drac X scores. If there was ever a niche game destined for 5s, this was it.

Must be pretty good.

What? Why? Isnt it like other hand held Castlevanias?

Woo-Fu

Banned
egmfan89 said:
ogre battle team to work on a wii strategy game

What? I'm going to feel silly if I end up buying a waggle-equipped platform just for strategy games I'll play with a classic controller.

Put it on the DS or PSP, perfect platforms for the SRPG genre.

adelante

Steroyd said:
I'll wait for European reviews of Fifa I'm not going to start on the American's and football.
Unless they're throwing some generic statements regarding what makes a good game, i don't see how the review shouldn't hold any weight. If you know your footie well enough (and have tried the demo), it'll be easy to discern which points in the review are valid

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Saying Tony Hawk > Skate is an interesting proposition, because much like rockband and guitar hero, the "hardcore" have already chosen their champion.

and tony hawk isn't it

beerbelly

Banned
dionysus said:
No point on risking my account on something I don't really care about, and....anything is possible and stranger things have happened.

Who are you and why would a week ban of yourself be of any significance to any of us? :lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Judging from he demo, I cannot trust that FIFA review. Anyways, I would buy an European magazine if I wanted a deep review for a soccer game, not EGM.

fjiofaj;vnmvkl;l,lv,v,v,v

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
haunts said:
What? Why? Isnt it like other hand held Castlevanias?

No, its level - by - level based, none of this huge castle exploration thing. It has more in common with Castlevania3 or the SNes ones (and obviously the PC-Engine original that its a remake of)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I just hope its way more FFT then OB.

I so disliked whatever that SNES Ogre game was, that I've written off the entire series.

No_Style

speculawyer said:
Skate did get a 9 and 8 . . . yeah one guy didn't think it was great and gave it a 6.5

And EGM's NHL reviewers must have got all the EA gift baskets because they drooled all over NHL 08 while shitting on NHL 2K8 . . . both games are very good.

Todd didn't get his. He was disgruntled over it.
I kid.

As for NBA Live 08, I thought it was a huge improvement over Live 07 which was a trainwreck. Oh well.

John Harker said:

I so disliked whatever that SNES Ogre game was, that I've written off the entire series.

There were two, depending on which side of the atlantic (pacific?) you were on.

Ogre battle: march of the black queen was the first one and substantially different from the rest of the series. If THIS was the one you played, writing off the rest of the series was a bad move.

Ogre battle: Let us cling together came second, but didn't see a US release until the Playstation port. It's tactical RPG GENIUS.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Manmademan said:
There were two, depending on which side of the atlantic (pacific?) you were on.

Ogre battle: march of the black queen was the first one and substantially different from the rest of the series. If THIS was the one you played, writing off the rest of the series was a bad move.

Ogre battle: Let us cling together came second, but didn't see a US release until the Playstation port. It's tactical RPG GENIUS.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't Let Us Cling Together, because I think i took a 2nd look at it because it looked like a tactics game, but then i noticed it had "Ogre" in the title and the bad taste in my mouth came back from that shitty SNES game I rented :)

ethelred

John Harker said:

You never played Tactics Ogre? Your loss -- the game is genius, it revolutionized SRPGs, and it's much better than FFT. It's Matsuno's best game and it is the perfect combination of gameplay, story, music, and art.

Ogre Battle isn't shitty. It's just so experimental that it is almost always a love/hate game. OB64 improved and refined the formula considerably.

John Harker said:
I'm fairly certain it wasn't Let Us Cling Together, because I think i took a 2nd look at it because it looked like a tactics game, but then i noticed it had "Ogre" in the title and the bad taste in my mouth came back from that shitty SNES game I rented :)

If you rented it, it was definitely march of the black queen. I liked it personally but it's so different from the rest of the Ogre games it might as well be another series entirely.

Good luck finding LUCT though. It's rare as hell even on PSX these days. it had an absurdly small print run.

you can find the GBA game "the knight of lodis" fairly easily though and it's really good.

There was also an N64 game I don't know much about, so I can't reccomend it to you.

He Wants Chalupas said:
I'm surprised Shane scored it higher than JP. Parish is quite the SotN freak. Hell, Drac X is the reason I'm getting a PSP next month.

While he loves SotN, he's a bigger fan of Dawn of Sorrow, but I digress. He also loved Rondo of Blood, so him giving an 8 probably means the package as a whole could have been better. No big thing. Already been preordered quite happily. Anyone else who wants another old-school Castlevania experience, buy it, for the love of * insert favorite Belmont here *!

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
:lol at the Fifa score, judging from the demo the game will probably be trashed in the Euro press. But atleast the Americans like it...that has to count for something, right?

JudgeN

ethelred said:
You never played Tactics Ogre? Your loss -- the game is genius, it revolutionized SRPGs, and it's much better than FFT. It's Matsuno's best game and it is the perfect combination of gameplay, story, music, and art.

Ogre Battle isn't shitty. It's just so experimental that it is almost always a love/hate game. OB64 improved and refined the formula considerably.

How in the hell did Tactics Orge revolutionize SRRG's? The lvling system is all screwed up and balancing of jobs was horrible. I used to love how all the enemies you fought where the same lvl as your highest lvl character, and the boss was freaking 3 lvls higher then him. Shit in that game 1 lvl difference was huge, but a 3 lvl difference was insane.

Jesus so many restarts playing that game, i'm have a nightmare this evening when I go to bed :lol

Y2Kev said:
Saying Tony Hawk > Skate is an interesting proposition, because much like rockband and guitar hero, the "hardcore" have already chosen their champion.

and tony hawk isn't it

I go one farther than that, me and my buds are casual skate boarding fans at best, and we all perfer it too Tony Hawk. We had a blast with it over the weekend, its pretty much the party game now.

6.5 for skate? BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG NNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

skate is atleast an 8

Broktune

Banned
Y2Kev said:

and tony hawk isn't it

Not that it means anything, but I wonder how TH project 8's sales compare to skate's and how the new TH will compare to Skate.

It seems many people take any criticism towards Skate to heart. Interesting.

I like both TH and Skate. The thing I really like about TH are the environments. Does anyone like both games?

Sanjay

RamzaIsCool

"at the Fifa score, judging from the demo the game will probably be trashed in the Euro press. But atleast the Americans like it...that has to count for something, right?"

but john anit american.

ethelred

JudgeN said:
How in the hell did Tactics Orge revolutionize SRRG's? The lvling system is all screwed up and balancing of jobs was horrible. I used to love how all the enemies you fought where the same lvl as your highest lvl character, and the boss was freaking 3 lvls higher then him. Shit in that game 1 lvl difference was huge, but a 3 lvl difference was insane.

Jesus so many restarts playing that game, i'm have a nightmare this evening when I go to bed :lol

It introduced the isometric battlefield design which has had a massive impact on srpgs -- before that everything was like Fire Emblem or Langrisser where tactical elements like positioning, facing, and height were nonexistent.

And aside from the disparate emphasis raced on archers because of agility's value, the class system was incredibly well balanced. It was precise with every class giving a set statistical bonus at every level and allowed you to plan ahead and perfectly shape characters not based on their class at the moment but rather based on their overall levelling arc. Its use of free class change and generic make-your-own characters also helped establish a framework still being aped by 90% of srpgs today. I see elements of the Tactics Ofre template in everything from FFT to Disgaea to Front Mission.

How has it NOT revolutionized srpgs?

Definitely looking forward to FFT PSP.
The translation is getting cleaned up for the US release right? If they fixed that and somehow got rid of the Chocobos on the river rapefest I'd consider it one of the best games ever.

WickedLaharl said:

yay?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Definitely looking forward to FFT PSP.
The translation is getting cleaned up for the US release right? If they fixed that and somehow got rid of the Chocobos on the river rapefest I'd consider it one of the best games ever.

HE LIVES

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
John Harker said:

fuck that, there are tons of turn based strategy rpgs like FFT.

the last time we got an Ogre Battle type game was Ogre Battle 64 almost what? 9 years ago? bring on another ogre battle type game.

oh and Ogre Battle 64 owns your fucking face, that thing needs a VC release.

Milky gave a 8 to Zelda to make sure Ninja Gaiden would be the best reviewed DS game. I honestly think Milky is infatuated with LeatherPants.

RumFore

Banned
These magazines need to go weekly because its kind of pathetic reviews of a game like Halo 3 is coming a month after release but something tells me thats how MS wanted it.

And the PS3 version of Bioshock was going to be different? Nixed PS3 features? Heh, I guess maybe it was the things that could only fit on a Bluray disk.:lol

keyrat

The OP seems to have left out the best rumor:

PS3 owners aren't completely left in the cold, though, as Sony's not finished digging through the old Singletrac classics from the PS One era. With Warhawk enjoying online success (though the jury's still out on its sales numbers), Sony's now eyeing Jet Moto for a revival. No word on whether it's a full-fledged update, a PlayStation Network diddy or something for the PSP -- but it's on Sony's plate and something that's been too long coming.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163164

Personally, I'd love this. Give it a freestyle mode and I'm sold.

AniHawk

RumpledForeskin said:
These magazines need to go weekly because its kind of pathetic reviews of a game like Halo 3 is coming a month after release but something tells me thats how MS wanted it.

Agreed. It would look bad having Metroid Prime 3 get GotM over Halo 3.

egmfan89

Maxwell House said:
This issue isn't really new is it? I swear I received it in the mail over 2 weeks ago.

The new issue should have the Halo 3 review in it.

How on earth could you have gotten this two weeks ago?

Also, the good for FFT is the new translation and addictive gameplay, so I'm pretty pumped for it, and you all should be too.

Gazunta

Guys I don't even have time to think about a Wii version, we're too busy finishing the Commodore 64 version instead:

a6fd626229923faf17bfa0e86dcf1fa4.gif

Top Bottom