• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Evolve screenshots

Jamie OD

It's like they're all from different games. I wonder if there is some kind of Wreck-it-Ralph type backstory....

I like it. Seems to be every character is a different trope you'd find in monster/sci-fi survival movies (the bounty hunter, the space marine, the female medic, etc.).

Doodis

I look at these characters and just think "Gears of Evolve." It does look pretty, though.

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the first to make this observation. But my Internet timed out.

Chabbles

Predator must have been a big influence for this game. Looks class!

EvolveGI_Fire%20Monster.jpg

EvolveGI_LightningGun.jpg

Vizzeh

Banned
I think I like what I see. The monsters etc look awesome. Getting a tiny bit tired of 1st person shooters, hopefully there is enough interesting things happening to side step that, potentially a good game :)

Violater

4 soldiers take on 1 monster over several rounds. Each new round, the monster evolves new powers. I think the person controller the monster gets to pick what powers they have, thus adapting to whatever beat them in the previous round. Each round would, in theory, become tougher and tougher for the 4 soldiers over the course of the game.

Rumor going around that one of the monsters will be Morgan Freeman and he will evolve invisibility.

I see what you did there.

Also They better have some sort of open beta for this game, the thought of just playing against one person who may or may not even put up much of a challenge is a bit worrying.

modulaire

Everytime there is a new "cool" effect developers just overdo it.

Too much bloom.
Dirt on the "lens".
Extreme godrays.
Massive lens flares.
Too much vignetting
And now over the top chromatic aberrations.

Use it in moderation please.

Wow, this looks like it has a ton of potential.

Almost like a Monster Hunter game where another player is playing the Boss character. Awesome idea.

Could be implemented well. could be fun. Can't wait to see how it shapes up. Atleast they are trying something different.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Something reminiscent of Unreal Tournament in the style (giant guns, burly folk).

Hope there's plenty of depth to the combat. Not enough asymmetrical multiplayer out there.

DocSeuss

The gun is TOO BIG in that shot, obscuring too much of the player vision.

Also, this is now my most anticipated game, aside from Tropico 5.

Metal-Geo

The depth of field in the second screenshot doesn't make sense. And it's pissing me off...!

Either way, it's still on my watch list. They're the original developers of Left 4 Dead. And I fucking love(d) Left 4 Dead.

And is it possible they're using a Crysis 3 build of the CryEngine? The, ahum, 'colour grading' really reminds me of Crysis 3. Even the washed out explosion in the sixth shot looks like it came straight from Crysis 3. Hell, it might even explain the unnecessary chromatic aberration effect. Which was just a console command away from disabling.

The idea sounds great, but i really dislike the character design. adding more serious space-marine dudes would be way cooler than these redneck-grandpas with powerweapons (we already got these kinda comic like type of characters in l4d and borderlands) :/

The depth of field in the second screenshot doesn't make sense. And it's pissing me off...!

Either way, it's still on my watch list. They're the original developers of Left 4 Dead. And I fucking love(d) Left 4 Dead.

And is it possible they're using a Crysis 3 build of the CryEngine? The, ahum, 'colour grading' really reminds me of Crysis 3. Even the washed out explosion in the sixth shot looks like it came straight from Crysis 3. Hell, it might even explain the unnecessary chromatic aberration effect. Which was just a console command away from disabling.

They are 100% using the Crysis 3 build in all likelihood. A lot of stuff in there is ver yeiminiscent of Crysis 3... except looking decidedly worse in material definition, texture res, and well... just generally everything.

CA makes sense in Crysis 3 due to the visor. Why is it in this game?

I just hope the gunplay/character movement in this game is way better than it was in L4D. I felt like I was skating in that game and the gun reload animations seemed like a sped up video.

I am cautiously optimistic though, co-op games will always have my attention.

Draft

The bearded hunters look great. I'm 50/50 on the robotic guy. The woman is... I dunno. is it unfair that I think any attractive female character is cliche at this point? She doesn't stand out like the two bearded guys. Like, her visual distinction is tits and hips. Boring.

Blinck

Gaming websites shouldn't be allowed to compress screenshots like this. It's a freaking embarrassment.
I would be pissed like hell if I was one of the developers and saw a website presenting my game like this.

As for the graphics - They look OK, not very good, not very bad. Your average PC game nowadays, I would say.

Still, I think this game will be pretty cool!

btw, who thought it was a good idea to release such freaking compressed screens?

Makes the game look even worse... with the CA combined. Ugh.

Ragnarok

yikes those character designs are....not great. Creature designs are better but still not all that inspired.

I dunno, could definitely be fun. Art style is pretty lame though, IMO.

majik13

Everytime there is a new "cool" effect developers just overdo it.

Too much bloom.
Dirt on the "lens".
Extreme godrays.
Massive lens flares.
Too much vignetting
And now over the top chromatic aberrations.

Use it in moderation please.

I dont know what everyone is harping about, the CromAb is not overly used here, compared to what most other games do. Some screens it is not even discernable. I think it is moderatly used in this case. I think the issue is probabaly just heavy color filters and grading in general, and some generic character design/art. Or just heavey image compression.

Caayn

Once again this look very promising. Hope that they will follow the insomniac road of creating weapons.

Top Bottom