• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New features for Pikmin and Mario Power Tennis re-releases

From Famitsu, via IGN:

For Pikmin, the new feature mentioned in Famitsu concerns saving. When you save, the game stores day-by-day records of your play. You're free to restart play from the day of your choice.

For Mario Power Tennis, Nintendo has made the game fully Wiimote compatible. You can now swing the Wiimote like a tennis racket to control your swings, performing forehands, backhands, tosses and smashes by swinging the Wiimote as you would a normal racket. For spin shots, you simply change the angle of the Wiimote when swinging. To perform special shots, you press buttons during the swing.

Mario Power Tennis will support play both through the Wiimote on its own and through a Wiimote/Nunchuck combo, the latter presumably allowing you to control your characters on the court.

Famitsu lists Camelot as developer for Mario Power Tennis. It's unclear if the studio is working on the Wii update or if the Famitsu listing is just in reference to the original.

Pikmin hits Japan on December 25. Mario Power Tennis follows on January 15. Both are priced at 3,800 yen.

Glad that they're actually changing stuff up other than controls. Makes me hopeful for the Metroid Prime 1 and 2 rereleases.

Hesemonni

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Glad that they're actually changing stuff up other than controls. Makes me hopeful for the Metroid Prime 1 and 2 rereleases.
What's there to change in Metroid Prime 1? Besides 16:9 that is.

meppi

A bit like a directors cut then.
Makes me look forward to these remakes even more.
I just wish we knew something more about US and European release dates.

Hesemonni said:
Controls like MP3. Or am I misreading your question?

What I Goddamn NEED is Pikmin 2 re-released with ONLINE ADDED for the multiplayer. I would turn on my Wii again! Please!

Azure J

Hesemonni said:

Kraid was supposed to be a boss in Prime 1. [/no fucking way this happens]

But yeah, Wii controls and widescreen are the big draws.

Edit - Quoted the wrong person.

lopaz

Banned
The Power Tennis controls are interesting, cause no one has made a good tennis game on Wii yet except for the one in Wii Sports.

Haunted

More or less missed Mario Tennis on the Cube, so this is excellent news for me.

Chris Remo said:
What I Goddamn NEED is Pikmin 2 re-released with ONLINE ADDED for the multiplayer. I would turn on my Wii again! Please!
They're saving that feature for Pikmin 3, believe.

Put Toad and Toadette in Mario Tennis Nintendo!! :mad:

Chris Remo said:
Haunted said:
They're saving that feature for Pikmin 3, believe.
That is an AWESOME idea! :O

Now I am hyped :(

a new control scheme is not an additional feature.
I'm surprised they're not making a new Mario Tennis from the ground up, but I guess BWii and Mario Soccer earned enough black to make it worth their while.

And I'd be happy with a Metroid Prime double pack, but I'm not usually that lucky.

bryehn

What would be really sweet is if they announced these games for release outside of Japan. If they have I totally missed it.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
lopaz said:
The Power Tennis controls are interesting, cause no one has made a good tennis game on Wii yet except for the one in Wii Sports.
I'm hyped for this one. And I think if it turns out to play with the wiimote, it will sell 3 times more than on GC.

Sloane

Banned
I don't get it. Is a NEW Mario Tennis really too much to ask? It's not like they had to put much effort in it anyway but just re-releasing the GameCube game with different controls is a fucking joke. I'm not buying the same game twice, even if it's only 30 bucks.

Alcibiades

I will be happy with these if I get a wealth of control options like in Brawl and Mario Kart Wii:

-wiimote
-wiimote + nunchuck
-classic controller
-GCN controller

They certainly don't need more than a single control method, but it would be a great gesture on their part to give gamers more options.

Good to see that the Mario Power Tennis controls are done properly, Wii Sports style and not just mapped to buttons.

So I guess there's no point in holding out for a proper tennis game for Wii anymore :D

TJ Spyke

I never picked up Mario Power Tennis, so I might get the Wii re-release if it's a good price (I hope Nintendo doesn't plan on charging a full $50 for these "Play it on Wii" titles).

donny2112

bryehn said:
What would be really sweet is if they announced these games for release outside of Japan. If they have I totally missed it.

AniHawk said that Pikmin 1 was coming in February @ $30. The rest will be sure to follow. :D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
meppi said:
I just wish we knew something more about US and European release dates.

I was sure that I read, somewhere, that ONE of the rereleases was coming to the USA in January. Jungle Beat, Tennis, or Pikmin. One of them... but I can't remember where I read it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Sounds fantastic. They really could have gone the lazy route with this. *cough* NES Classics on GBA *cough*

santouras

wiisports tennis controls with player movement via nunchuck.......... I will double dip as well as no-one else can seem to get this right.

There is a god. Granted I would have wanted a brand new Mario Tennis, but MPT is just perfect now with awesome sauce Wii-mote controls.

jts

...hate me...
santouras said:
wiisports tennis controls with player movement via nunchuck.......... I will double dip as well as no-one else can seem to get this right.
Not too cool with the short-ass cord nunchuck has :/ But it should be awesome with a wireless nunchuck.
AzureJericho said:
But yeah, Wii controls and widescreen are the big draws.
That's the bread and butter of these "Play it on Wii" games. It's why they are being made. What's surprising is that Nintendo is actually throwing new stuff on the games. New levels, new features and whatnot.
Teddman said:
Are there any Wii controls for Pikmin?
See above.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
I would pay an arm and a leg to get an uncut version of The Wind Waker.

Me too. Wind Waker uncut dammit! I want to see this mentioned in every Play-on-Wii game thread until it happens!

No pointer controls for Pikmin?

Four Swords needs a Play-on-Wii version that will work wirelessly with DS. I would jizz my pants etc.

Neomoto

Good thing I never played any of the Cube re-releases, these new features sound awesome. Likely day one for Mario Power Tennis, it's perfect for the Wii. Should've already been released though, third parties really dropped the ball with such obvious Wii games.

Alcibiades

If they add widescreen support by remove GCN-controls I'm gonna be so pissed.

There is NO EXCUSE or reason to remove functionality. It's taking one step forward and one step back. What is the point of removing something unecessarily.

Is keeping the game intact while adding widescreen, extra modes, and waggle going to hurt the game?

I've defended Nintendo's approach to the Wii due to their firm support for traditional gamers through classic controller and GCN-compatibility, but it's getting hard to do so. Even if only 1% of gamers are gonna use a function from the Gamecube era, why remove it? People are different and some would like to have widescreen versions of their entire GCN lineup played exactly the same, others would like waggle, others would like to try both and pick a preferred style.

There are tens of millions of GCN controllers in use with Smash Brothers and Mario Kart and 3rd party GCN controllers are making a killing at retail now that Nintendo has discontinued them, so why remove the option from re-releases?

edit: If they keep the games entirely as they are (no widescreen, extra stuff) and JUST change the control then I won't be pissed, because I won't feel like I'm missing out on anything...

What they need to do for Prime is reinstate the sequence breaking glitches that they removed from subsequent releases. That was a red flag that they didn't really understand the Metroid fan base; a notion that the structure of the sequels solidified.

TJ Spyke

I can't think of a single reason why a company who put glitches back in. The percentage of people who actually use them is negligible anyways.

KevinCow

Banned
Gato said:
It'd be cool if they added a Zero Suit Samus option for the Prime games.
That makes me wonder, will the Fusion Suit still be in Prime? Because you needed to link Fusion and Prime to get it.

TJ Spyke said:
I can't think of a single reason why a company who put glitches back in. The percentage of people who actually use them is negligible anyways.
They weren't game breakers though, that's what drives me nuts. They actually extended the replay value significantly. If the percentage of people who use them is so small why did they go through the trouble of modifying them to begin with? Especially in a series that popularized sequence breaking. Like I said, red flag. It was a slap in the face to the people who loved the series the most.

Minsc

Gold Member
Alcibiades said:
If they add widescreen support by remove GCN-controls I'm gonna be so pissed.

There is NO EXCUSE or reason to remove functionality. It's taking one step forward and one step back. What is the point of removing something unecessarily.

Is keeping the game intact while adding widescreen, extra modes, and waggle going to hurt the game?

I've defended Nintendo's approach to the Wii due to their firm support for traditional gamers through classic controller and GCN-compatibility, but it's getting hard to do so. Even if only 1% of gamers are gonna use a function from the Gamecube era, why remove it? People are different and some would like to have widescreen versions of their entire GCN lineup played exactly the same, others would like waggle, others would like to try both and pick a preferred style.

There are tens of millions of GCN controllers in use with Smash Brothers and Mario Kart and 3rd party GCN controllers are making a killing at retail now that Nintendo has discontinued them, so why remove the option from re-releases?

edit: If they keep the games entirely as they are (no widescreen, extra stuff) and JUST change the control then I won't be pissed, because I won't feel like I'm missing out on anything...

Please tell me you own RE4:Wii Edition. If for no other reason than if you don't own it, that is perhaps the most ironic post I've ever read.

Banned
Fuck Nintendo are lazy. Make an actual sequel to these, dickheads! Not like you don't have the money.

Koren

If they indeed add decent pointer functionality into Pikmin, I'm sold... I'm still fan of the first one (I prefer it over 2), partly because of the 9-day challenge.

666 said:
Fuck Nintendo are lazy. Make an actual sequel to these, dickheads! Not like you don't have the money.

I think they're trying to generate interest from the mainstream.

The Wii obviously has had a lot bigger audience than the Gamecube. They want to reintroduce these to everyone before doing the full sequels.

Plus, it's cheaper and quicker for Nintendo to make, and we already know they are working on Pikmin 3 for example. They aren't being lazy.

Top Bottom