• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New features for Pikmin and Mario Power Tennis re-releases

jrricky

Banned
bryehn said:
What would be really sweet is if they announced these games for release outside of Japan. If they have I totally missed it.
I can vouch that they are all coming next year.....

santouras

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Did they do anything to the AI on Mario Tennis? It's such a bitch on the higher levels...nothing but power shot after power shot.
once you learn how to counter the power shots and do strong spin its pretty easy to win on any level.

Alcibiades

Minsc said:
Please tell me you own RE4:Wii Edition. If for no other reason than if you don't own it, that is perhaps the most ironic post I've ever read.
I owned RE:4 on GCN and this past summer bought the Wii Edition. Awesome game, and I play with GCN controller. Some people are just more comfortable with a controller. I know one person that didn't like the game until I lent him a GCN controller.

Be great if they added checkpoints into the Prime games. I remember playing for over an hour at one point (I think it was some kind of lab in the Phandrena section) and then having to fight a boss, which I lost to, before being able to save. Needless to say, my wavebird took to the skies after that one.

I have absolutely zero hope for this feature, however.

Stryder

Why Pikmin 1??!

Pikmin 2 had that feature built into it didn't it??!

Give us Pikmin 3 please Nintendo, if this was announced it would become my most wanted game.

Big meh.
Make a new Mario Tennis; what's the point of releasing Power Tour WITHOUT GC control support. Same with DK Jungle Beat. Inferior versions confirmed (and they're wasting time porting them instead of just slapping them on a GC disc with Wii branding).

The only GC first party game I missed (that I wanted) is Chibi-Robo. Hope they don't ruin that. Then again if they do I won't realize :lol

MarkusRJR

EmCeeGramr said:
Glad that they're actually changing stuff up other than controls. Makes me hopeful for the Metroid Prime 1 and 2 rereleases.
Is it confirmed whether or not Metroid Prime 1 and 2 Wii ports are coming to North America yet? I just re-bought Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (my previous disc gave me disc read errors out of the box :\) and I really want to play through Metroid Prime 1 & 2 before starting 3. I'm even contemplating getting the Gamecube versions of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 via ebay ($70, both brand new), but I can wait for Wii versions if I know they'll be coming out in NA in 2009.

Whats the price? Full 50?

Dunno if I would pay that just for waggle and silly features... The original is likely out there for under $20

EDIT: Now a sequel is another story... Nintendo, stop wasting time!

EDIT2: Though Pikmin with waggle would rock.... must resist temptation... don't support Nintendo wasting time.... can't ... help... it..... :(

ampere

EmCeeGramr said:
Glad that they're actually changing stuff up other than controls. Makes me hopeful for the Metroid Prime 1 and 2 rereleases.
If they add 16:9 I'll preorder.
If they don't, I'll just Day 1.

Guled said:
They have Camelot doing a stupid port instead of Golden Sun 3, dam you Nintendo
That was one of my first thoughts too :/
DS or Wii, even GBA! Just give us more Golden Sun!! :O

racerx77

Banned
Didn't the European version of Metroid Prime 1 have a few things added over the US version? Seems like I remember hearing about more cinemas, voice and maybe different difficulty levels? Hope those get added to the US release!

Osuwari

racerx77 said:
Didn't the European version of Metroid Prime 1 have a few things added over the US version? Seems like I remember hearing about more cinemas, voice and maybe different difficulty levels? Hope those get added to the US release!

there was a narrator, they fixed lots of sequence break glitches and some other issues i don't remember atm.

seeing as they're likely to fix even more sequence break glitches again, i want them to put in all the extra changes in the re-release also. they should give us the most complete version of the game.

for all the SB purists, just buy it now. the point of the ports will be to play through the games with new controls. also, it doesn't mean ALL glitches will be removed. they could miss 1 or 2 that are significant, especially in a game as broken as mp1.

btw, to the guy who mentioned Four Swords, that's a great idea. no more cables and the DS is more popular than the GBA and is much more functional (damn light-less GBAs). it could be the best way to tide us over until they make a real sequel.

edit: about GC controls, they could do like in MKWii and make it so the GC controller only registers if you press A at the title screen to avoid complications.

Taichu

The Wii-makes seem very hit or miss.

On the one hand, I would love Prime 1 and 2 with the Wiimote controls from Prime 3. I only borrowed Prime 1 back in the day, and would love to play it again.

On the other hand... why not just make a new Mario Tennis? Mario Power Tennis was a very great multiplayer game, but I don't think the Wiimote functionality will work as well as it could in Prime's case. I fear it will end up playing like Sega Superstar Tennis. Online would be cool though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Koren said:
If they indeed add decent pointer functionality into Pikmin, I'm sold... I'm still fan of the first one (I prefer it over 2), partly because of the 9-day challenge.

you and me both, Pikmin 1 is ten steps above its sequel... and why the fuck they've removed the 30 days limit and added those long ass boring caverns I will never understand.
So I'll say again here, because it's not like Nintendo doesn't listen to me and my Neogaf buddies :lol

It was still a good game, godly multiplayer which I wish I had more chances to play it with my friends, but it's not like I FUCKING LOVED it like the first... so buying this wiimake :)

Osuwari

Taichu said:
The Wii-makes seem very hit or miss.

On the one hand, I would love Prime 1 and 2 with the Wiimote controls from Prime 3. I only borrowed Prime 1 back in the day, and would love to play it again.

On the other hand... why not just make a new Mario Tennis? Mario Power Tennis was a very great multiplayer game, but I don't think the Wiimote functionality will work as well as it could in Prime's case. I fear it will end up playing like Sega Superstar Tennis. Online would be cool though.

i don't see why they would need to develop a new tennis game from the ground-up since the stages are basically the same in tennis games. a tennis court can't vary like a golf field. they can just add a few new minigames and characters to the GC port in the process.

now, a game i want brand new on Wii is Mario Golf. there's much more possibilities for a new installment in that kind of game. if they announce a MG GC-to-wii conversion, i'll be the first to get mad at nintendo and i'm already day 1 for MPT Wii and MP1&2 Wii and might buy DKJB this time (bongos were a no-no for me) and get pikmin again (i sold it but the new version with enhancements is enticing)

namor7

Hesemonni said:
What's there to change in Metroid Prime 1? Besides 16:9 that is.

Bring the graphics and effects, water in particular, up to the level of MP3. That combined with MP3 controls will be incredible.

SCReuter

namor7 said:
Bring the graphics and effects, water in particular, up to the level of MP3. That combined with MP3 controls will be incredible.

And get rid of the reappearing ghost pirates.

bdouble

Osuwari said:
now, a game i want brand new on Wii is Mario Golf.

Save it for motion+. I freaking love MG.

Pretty excited for Mario Power Tennis. I loved the 64 version but never got around to this one. Might have to get this as an upgrade from Wiisports.

Osuwari

MoogPaul said:
Has MP wiimakes even been confirmed? I believe gaf is getting ahead of itself.

they were mentioned when nintendo announced that they were making the gc-to-wii lineup but no further details have been provided.

i guess they're just saving the best for last.

DarkWish

Sloane said:
We'll see. I know what they said, but I can't imagine why they would re-release Pikmin now if Pikmin 3 has actually been in development for some time.
I don't see how anyone could think the Pikmin 1 re-release means there is no Pikmin 3. I believe Miyamoto stated that Pikmin 3 is entirely new and is not the Pikmin re-release.

As for what games are coming in the US (since others were asking), all that has been confirmed is Mario Power Tennis and Pikmin. I would be very surprised though if Pikmin 2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, and Chibi Robo don't release in the US as well.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Osuwari said:
btw, to the guy who mentioned Four Swords, that's a great idea. no more cables and the DS is more popular than the GBA and is much more functional (damn light-less GBAs). it could be the best way to tide us over until they make a real sequel..

To be honest, I think a WiiWare 4 Swords would make more sense. Even with the DS as popular as it is, it's still a bit of a "niche" title... but it should work nicely as a downloadable game.

Memles

If they fix it so the main tournament mode can be played without the special moves, I'll bite on Mario Tennis.

jts

...hate me...
Caesar III said:
I own all of them and I won't bite for any of them again.
While I for one, stopped caring about cleaning my GC backlog. I'll wait for these fuckers :D

I like all of them (a lot!), but I never finished prime because of a damn bug, prime 2 never clicked. Mario Tennis is great with Cube Pad, I don't want to play it with waggle.
Pikmin 1 and 2 are great games but I never finished them, too. But only because I don't want to sacrifice my sweet pikmin :D I cannot do it. Jungle Beat without bongos is no Jungle Beat. So nothing for me here.

Slavik81

666 said:
Fuck Nintendo are lazy. Make an actual sequel to these, dickheads! Not like you don't have the money.
These are games that are seriously begging for Wiimakes, and on top of that, they're fantastic good games that those many, many people who own Wiis (but not Gamecubes) can snag. It's a good way to quickly prop up next years lineup with a couple top-tier titles.

Besides, the two are not mutually exclusive. This seems more like a stopgap before the next Pikmin.

Anyways. I'm not buying any of them. I own all of the ones I want already. Metroid Prime 1 is slightly tempting, but as much as I love it, and as much as I loved Metroid Prime 3's controls....

Slavik81 said:
This seems more like a stopgap before the next Pikmen.
I'm really interested in Pikmin 3. It cannot be the same game again if they re-release Pikmin 1/2. Who would buy it if he can instead buy one of those 2 games for much less.

Alcibiades said:
If they add widescreen support by remove GCN-controls I'm gonna be so pissed.

There is NO EXCUSE or reason to remove functionality. It's taking one step forward and one step back. What is the point of removing something unecessarily.

Is keeping the game intact while adding widescreen, extra modes, and waggle going to hurt the game?

I've defended Nintendo's approach to the Wii due to their firm support for traditional gamers through classic controller and GCN-compatibility, but it's getting hard to do so. Even if only 1% of gamers are gonna use a function from the Gamecube era, why remove it? People are different and some would like to have widescreen versions of their entire GCN lineup played exactly the same, others would like waggle, others would like to try both and pick a preferred style.

There are tens of millions of GCN controllers in use with Smash Brothers and Mario Kart and 3rd party GCN controllers are making a killing at retail now that Nintendo has discontinued them, so why remove the option from re-releases?

edit: If they keep the games entirely as they are (no widescreen, extra stuff) and JUST change the control then I won't be pissed, because I won't feel like I'm missing out on anything...

Did you even read the OP? They're adding new stuff to the games. Also, why get so worked up when there's been no hints of dropping cube controller support? Also x2, the GCN controller isn't discontinued.

Stryder said:
Why Pikmin 1??!

Pikmin 2 had that feature built into it didn't it??!

Give us Pikmin 3 please Nintendo, if this was announced it would become my most wanted game.

Pikmin 3 is already confirmed in development, welcome to five months ago! :D

Somnid

I've never seen so many uninformed people in one thread. Here's the breakdown:

"Play on Wii" is a line of budget enhanced re-releases of popular Gamecube games designed to be played on Wii with minor upgrades.

This has nothing to do with Pikmin 3, any other sequels, or Wii-specific Nintendo software. It's a complete tangential software lineup. More than twice as many people own Wiis than Gamecubes. This is simply a quick and low cost way for Nintendo to make money by reviving Gamecube titles for people who didn't have Gamecubes.

The upgrades are simple to make them more passable as Wii software. This includes Wide-Screen, Wiimote controls and other small additions like remixed levels in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat to re balance the game for new controls. Large scale additions like upgraded graphics or online play probably aren't within the scope of these projects.

Nintendo is still making other software. These aren't huge productions, they are re-releases.

The release list is:

Mario Tennis
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Chibi Robo

They will retail for $30 in the US and should all release next year.

Get the facts straight.

BTW Metroid Prime will probably be built on the European/Japanese release which was harder, included different size missile pickups, glitch fixes, proper music when fighting Flaagrah and some light narration among a few other things.

Mantorok

You see, Prime 1 is my all time fucking favourite Prime game, yes fucking way it destroys MP2 & 3 in terms of immersiveness, level design, music and bosses. I really want to play it through again but since MP3 I can't envisage ever going back to those controls.

If MP1 goes 16:9 then that will be sweet as meat, and if it controls as well as MP3 then there will be a lot of happy Wii owners, because I can't think of anything as deliciously delightful as MP1 remade on the Wii.

Nintendo.....fucking...do...it.

Top Bottom