• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New features for Pikmin and Mario Power Tennis re-releases

ksamedi

Never played Mario Tennis, Pikmin 2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat so I'm happy that these get new (enchanced) rereleases.

Watching the video of Mario Tennis, I wonder how they implemented the walking controls.

Shiggy

I'd expect something like this soon: Play on Wii! With Motion+
Now there'll be a Mario Power Tennis rererelease.

Captain N

Shiggy said:
I'd expect something like this soon: Play on Wii! With Motion+
Now there'll be a Mario Power Tennis rererelease.

I think we'll see Mario Tennis Wii & Mario Golf Wii using Motion +

Cheez-It

santouras said:
wiisports tennis controls with player movement via nunchuck.......... I will double dip as well as no-one else can seem to get this right.

w
t
f

Is that the control method? Or are you under the very mistaken idea that this would be good? If the latter, have you ever played tennis? The only possible way to control a tennis game without making it fucking idiotic would be using the d-pad, and that would still fuck with one's grip, unless it involved pressing that button in preparation (you don't press it to keep running, but to start and the game handles the rest).

Azar

cvxfreak said:
As someone who liked Super Mario Sunshine, I hope that game comes to this line up too.
Me too! I just wrote an article about that today, in fact. :lol I'm really waiting for Pikmin 2, though. That game is <3.

ElFly

cvxfreak said:
As someone who liked Super Mario Sunshine, I hope that game comes to this line up too.

They should really use the extra gamecube to give it a better framerate.

Sailor

Does anyone know if Mario Tennis remake is going to have online play?
If so, day one for me..if not, they can go screw themselves :mad:

666 said:
Fuck Nintendo are lazy. Make an actual sequel to these, dickheads! Not like you don't have the money.
This is just the beginning. Expect to see "Super Mario Galaxy HD" and "Super Smash Bros. Brawl HD" when they finally get around to making an HD console.

And trust me, no one is going to turn down SMG in glorious 1080p. Nobody.

Yes Boss!

Sailor said:
Does anyone know if Mario Tennis remake is going to have online play?
If so, day one for me..if not, they can go screw themselves :mad:

I think they are going to go screw themselves. :lol

These Wiimakes are simple control additions, only.

AFreak

Banned
Blu_LED said:
This is just the beginning. Expect to see "Super Mario Galaxy HD" and "Super Smash Bros. Brawl HD" when they finally get around to making an HD console.

I could.

TJ Spyke

Blu_LED said:

Sadly, I know I would double dip.

Sailor

Yes Boss! said:
I think they are going to go screw themselves. :lol

What? :( Screw that...this is just lazy.
I only have 2 wii-motes, is it really that hard to add in online support for games these days?

btw, is IGN's release date on the game right?

New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Wii
Release Date: March 9, 2009
Release Region: United States

jts

...hate me...
Yes Boss! said:
Not only, but mostly. They've been adding and tweaking stuff here and there, but online play is really stretching it too hard. Won't happen.

Yes Boss!

^^Yeah, correct. We also get Pikmin 1 on that day.

$60 well spent!

jts said:
Not only, but mostly. They've been adding and tweaking stuff here and there, but online play is really stretching it too hard. Won't happen.

Yeah, does seem like the games will be slightly easier across the board. Not a bad thing necessarily...there are lots of folks who will be playing these for the first time. I reckon the sales potential for Mario Tennis in North America is pretty huge.

Blu_LED said:

And don't forget all of the HD games from this gen that could probably be ported for a minimal fee.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Cheez-It said:
w
t
f

Is that the control method? Or are you under the very mistaken idea that this would be good? If the latter, have you ever played tennis? The only possible way to control a tennis game without making it fucking idiotic would be using the d-pad, and that would still fuck with one's grip, unless it involved pressing that button in preparation (you don't press it to keep running, but to start and the game handles the rest).
The videos posted in the thread show a wiimote only control method, but the way I play wii sports tennis, little flicks of the wrist to make the shots, would work fine with nunchuck attached.

Pikmin changes seem good. I'll pick it up when it's released in the states. Mario Power Tennis changes look worthless, or actually lessen the game. I'll stick with the Gamecube version until an actual sequel.

Zoc

I just bought the Japanese version of Wii Pikmin today. Seems very well done to me, the controls are perfectly intuitive and natural. I never tried the original, though, so I have no point of comparison. The widescreen is perfect, and the cover is even reversible!

This is definitely a well-put-together update.

swerve

ksamedi said:
Never played Mario Tennis, Pikmin 2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat so I'm happy that these get new (enchanced) rereleases.

Just a note: DK:Jungle Beat has been changed so much that it's barely even close to the original.

They've added health, and lives, where the original just has bananas.
They're reduced the importance of bananas and combos.
They've completely changed what seems like 25-33% of the stages
They've changed the unlock system to fit with the lack of decent combos.

Both versions are great, but they feel *totally* different and you should definitely pick up the GC one, with bongos, first.

AniHawk

swerve said:
They've added health, and lives, where the original just has bananas.
They're reduced the importance of bananas and combos.

THAT'S BULLSHIT. That's what that whole game was about.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
THAT'S BULLSHIT. That's what that whole game was about.
Yeah the Jungle Beat one has me conflicted. If they removed one enemey that breaks former level long combos I will be dissapointed :(

Super stoked to replay Pikmin 1 (and play more than 10 minutes of Pikmin 2) with the new controls!

Will make these great games so much more fluid

TJ Spyke said:
I don' think so. We are still getting Pikmin 3 afterall.

That's different, Pikmin 3 is a plot game. If Mario Power Tennis on Wii is quality, they may forgo a true sequel. Hopefully if they do this, they will add significant content to it.

swerve

scola said:
Yeah the Jungle Beat one has me conflicted. If they removed one enemey that breaks former level long combos I will be dissapointed :(

Dude, it's a DIFFERENT GAME. Combos are simply 'nice things you can sort of do' in the new version.

The controls are simply far too different, and as I said, a HUGE number of stages are totally re-done. Seriously, at first you'll consider the button config totally broken.

There's no decent way to grab bananas in mid-jump (it can be done, but it's not good and it's not important). It's a totally different experience. I spent last weekend playing gc and wii versions back to back and they're both fun, but they're very, very different.

Therefore to avoid later disappointment (let's get it out of the way now):

JUNGLE BEAT ON WII IS NOT LIKE A RE-MAKE. It's a game 'based on' another game, but with totally different controls and many different stages. And the core elements (combos) and values (replaying to get platinum) are totally different. Gone, in fact.

But there are areas which have become more fun. Swimming, especially. The karate fights are still fun (but less violent without clapping). The bird boss is confusing. The elephant cannons are fine.

They've added lots of new graphical touches. It's very, very pretty on Wii (but then, it's one of my favourite looking games ever).

If you have the original, you don't really need this one. Just play the bongo version.

I should state, the GC version is one of my favourite games of all time - in my top 15 - so I'm very attached to it. I like the Wii version, but I wish they'd called it something different.

A great comparison is comparing Yoshi's Island original, to Yoshi's Island DS.

Bizzyb

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
The only 2 new characters in Sonic Adventure 2 were Shadow (who pretty cool in that game, they screwed him up in later games) and Rouge (who isn't that bad). The first SA had the character that almost every Sega fan I have seen hates: Big the Cat.

I was replaying Adventure DX the other day and wow...I swear I wanted to put my hands through the tv and violently strangle that mother****er.

Dammit Bigs, I hate you and you ****ing suck.

If only 25-33% of the stages are different, it's not a very good comparison. YIDS was completely different level-wise.

Anyway, since it's so different, I may get it. No point in buying the same thing I already got all Platinium medals in. Sucks for people that were claiming that they were getting the superior versions, though (hopefully they don't change Chibi Robo, as it's the only one in the wii-make list I haven't got :lol)

Squeak

radioheadrule83 said:
Me too. Wind Waker uncut dammit! I want to see this mentioned in every Play-on-Wii game thread until it happens!
No no, you want a downcut version of WW, with shorter, faster, more fun sailing, a better, less tedious way of turning the wind, no triforce or mandatory treasure hunt, 60 fps and highres textures.

I want a WW with those two "lost temples" thrown in! And widescreen! Make it happen!

Anyway, this Jungle Beat remake sounds interesting to me, because I never played the original. I know it may be unfair or lame or whatever, but I never had any interest in playing a platformer with bongos...but now that it has "normal" controls, I am interested. Does it resemble the SNES DK games?

Ridley327

MadraptorMan said:
Does it resemble the SNES DK games?

There are three things that DK:JB shares with DKC: both star Donkey Kong, both are side-scrollers and both repeat their bosses. Other than that, they're nothing alike. I'd actually liken JB to a Genesis Sonic title, really.

Teknoman

swerve said:
Dude, it's a DIFFERENT GAME. Combos are simply 'nice things you can sort of do' in the new version.

The controls are simply far too different, and as I said, a HUGE number of stages are totally re-done. Seriously, at first you'll consider the button config totally broken.

There's no decent way to grab bananas in mid-jump (it can be done, but it's not good and it's not important). It's a totally different experience. I spent last weekend playing gc and wii versions back to back and they're both fun, but they're very, very different.

Therefore to avoid later disappointment (let's get it out of the way now):

JUNGLE BEAT ON WII IS NOT LIKE A RE-MAKE. It's a game 'based on' another game, but with totally different controls and many different stages. And the core elements (combos) and values (replaying to get platinum) are totally different. Gone, in fact.

But there are areas which have become more fun. Swimming, especially. The karate fights are still fun (but less violent without clapping). The bird boss is confusing. The elephant cannons are fine.

They've added lots of new graphical touches. It's very, very pretty on Wii (but then, it's one of my favourite looking games ever).

If you have the original, you don't really need this one. Just play the bongo version.

I should state, the GC version is one of my favourite games of all time - in my top 15 - so I'm very attached to it. I like the Wii version, but I wish they'd called it something different.

A great comparison is comparing Yoshi's Island original, to Yoshi's Island DS.

Well isnt Yoshi Island DS a sequel? Dunno if that really counts. Though I am interested in what the new graphical touches are.

swerve

Yeah, maybe that was a bit overstating it with the yoshi's island thing.

It's still good, it just takes lots of getting used to and the first stages are a bit poor.

And people who've played the GC version will hate the lives, because they are really not what it used to be about. Being able to take only 3 hits before dying on a boss is really weird (whereas previously you'd just lose bananas, taking your medal-earing power down).

Also, there's no medals-open-next-world mechanic going on. It's just 'clear this one, open next one'.

That said, I just played another hour of it (Cherry kingdom) and it's pretty rocking.

And now I'm on Peach kingdom and it's even more rocking. The underwater stages are great now.

Lives still suck, though.

swerve

It's a 'they took away the most elegant feature (bananas as lives) and made some weird decisions with the controls, and the first few kingdoms are a bit slow going, but it picks up and is nearly as awesome as the original version in many ways.

A button is now both jump AND grab bananas, where previously Jump was [both bongos] and grab was [clap] so it takes some mental shift to merge the two previously separate actions to one button.

Riding animals was previously a test of bongo-bashing speed mixed with timing. Now it's just timing of the A button (which is really fun, but a lot less frantic).

Visually the Wii version is a fair bit better than the original, not least because of widescreen but also new effects.

If you have the GC one, and can still play that, I'd suggest this only if you're able to view it as what it is; a different team making some new bits of one of your favourite gc games.

If you care about widescreen more than visceral bongo gameplay, get the Wii version. If you care about seeing it in its perfect original form no matter the volume or stretched-image, then seek out the GC one.

Also, as if to acknowledge that the lives system is weird, some bosses don't use it, and just revert back to the banana gauge...

It's still amazing. Rammed full of great moments.

Azure J

Indeed, thanks for the input Swerve. I didn't get a chance to get Jungle Beat last gen but this sounds like something I'll definitely jump on now.

Chris FOM

So as someone who always meant to pick up DK:JB but never quite got around to it, do the differences between the two versions mean that it's still one of those games that I absolutely MUST track down, or will the Wiimake alone suffice? Can you break it down for someone that never played the original?

andthebeatgoeson

Cheesemeister said:
That reminds me, I still need to raise a hundred purple Pikmin. And finish the last half of the game, for that matter.
Me too. I never finished 2. I can't decide if I want to play Pikmin 1 again. I definitely want to replay Metroid 1 and play Prime 2.

swerve

Chris FOM said:
So as someone who always meant to pick up DK:JB but never quite got around to it, do the differences between the two versions mean that it's still one of those games that I absolutely MUST track down, or will the Wiimake alone suffice? Can you break it down for someone that never played the original?

I'm always going to view the GC original as the best version. There's no doubt about that. If you don't mind 4:3 and playing with loud bongos which will annoy your wife and downstairs neighbours, then get that one. Otherwise, the Wii version is a fine game, and visually upgraded from the GC, so it's still easy to recommend.

HOWEVER, the lower importance of combos is a BIG change for me. I'm a completist type of gamer and I have spent days combo-ing my way through the GC version to get platinum medals. Combos are still there, and still beneficial, but their importance has been undermined with a lives system. Part of this is because the new controls don't accurately mimic the originals so the beautifully set-up combos were no longer achievable. Many stages have been altered or simply replaced to account for this.

In the original, you clapped to create a soundwave in all directions. In this version, you can direct your sound waves with the analogue stick, which is more complex and really takes a while to get used to.

Also, the new bits of the GUI have less charm than the original

Swimming and yak-riding have been significantly altered. Both are still fun, but very very different.

Essentially, everything is less frantic, violent, and visceral. But still awesome. I could never hate a game with levels this brave and fresh and fun. Swerve to Jungle Beat is the same as cvxfreak to Resident Evil.

Nicktals

Banned
Are level-long combos still in?

Or, perhaps a better question...Are the levels still designed to allow lengthy combos?

And how is level-unlocking accomplished?

I assume medals are still in?

swerve

There are still long combos, but I'm yet to find any good examples of level long ones. I must admit, at more than 60% done it's still taking me time to adjust to the new controls so perhaps they allow different types of combo.

Chains between bird->monkeythrow->dragon-mouth->backflip, etc... is still all there, but not the focus anymore.

Not least because medals, as you know them, have gone. You still get medals for performance, but stages are simply unlocked by finishing the previous level. Because of the addition of lives, the ability to clear a kingdom is based on your ability to not get hit three times, rather than clear a level with sufficiently high banana ratings to be able to get through the boss over 800/1200.

farnham

Banned
Nintendo will release Play with Wii Metroid Prime in February. Play with Wii Pikmin 2 in March. Both are remakes of GCN titles with new controlls.

&#9670;&#12300;Play with Wii Metroid Prime&#12301;

Maker&#65306;Nintendo
Platform&#65306;Wii

Date&#65306;2009. 2.19 (Thur)

Price&#65306;3,800 Yen

CERO Rating&#65306;A

&#9670;&#12300;Play with Wii Pikmin 2&#12301;

Maker&#65306;Nintendo

Platform&#65306;Wii

Date&#65306;March 2009

Price&#65306;3,800 yen

CERO Rating&#65306;A