• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New features for Pikmin and Mario Power Tennis re-releases

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dash Kappei said:
what are the confirmed release dates and titles for EU/NA so far?
Oh, I got what Amazon says the NA dates are for Pikmin and Mario Tennis. Boxes too:

Pikmin: March 9th
51BUG6%2Bzv%2BL._SS500_.jpg

Mario Tennis: March 9th
box-3.png

Dash Kappei said:
what are the confirmed release dates and titles for EU/NA so far?

For the US, Pikmin and Mario Tennis will be out on the 9th of March.

For Europe, Pikmin will be out on February 7 (!) and Mario Tennis sometime in March.

Great to see Prime's Japanese release date announced. The only thing is - we have no idea when it will make it over here. Logic would suggest that it would be next in line after Pikmin/Mario Tennis, but Jungle Beat's US date hasn't even been announced yet, and that was the first game to come out in Japan. :\

Cipherr

AFreak said:

Yeah but your AFreak.

No but seriously Control+F "Online" = "Phrase not found"

Online for the Mario Tennis would have sold me, but I'm not springing for this without it. Pikmin and Beat I was interested in the first time, so they aren't even getting a second look from me. Opportunity missed IMO. Slap MarioKart Wii's online into the tennis game and it would have been awesome.

DarkWish

So basically, this is the release schedule:

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - Released (JP), TBA (US), TBA (EU)
Pikmin - Released (JP), March 9th (US), February 6th (EU)
Mario Power Tennis - Released (JP), March 9th (US), March (EU)
Metroid Prime - February 19th (JP), TBA (US), TBA (EU)
Pikmin 2 - March (JP), TBA (US), TBA (EU)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - TBA (JP), TBA (US), TBA (EU)
Chibi-Robo! - TBA (JP), TBA (US), TBA (EU)

If I had to guess, I'd say the US will probably get two more games at once like we are on March 9th, and I'd say those would be Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat and Metroid Prime maybe by the beginning of the Summer. That's a complete guess though.

Vinci

Danish
pakkit said:
Man that shit is ugly.

I've said it before: All that unnecessary packaging and 'New Play Control' emblem will sell those games in the States. I'm serious. We look at it and go, "WTF? That's hideous." Others look at it, see the words 'New' and 'Play' and think that basically encapsulates what the Wii is about anyway.

Vagabundo

Should I sell me copy of Metroid Prime for the GC? I've gotten about 20% through it, amazing game and I've started MP3.

What do u guys think?

Where are the metroid prime 1&2 wiimakes for North America? I really liked MP3 on the wii and I never played much of the first 2 on GC. I'm just waiting to give Nintendo my money.

Mantorok

Vagabundo said:
Should I sell me copy of Metroid Prime for the GC? I've gotten about 20% through it, amazing game and I've started MP3.

What do u guys think?

You're playing MP and MP3 simultaneously? That must be....weird.

I think you should play through the GC version because that's exactly how MP was intended to be played, we don't know yet if the new controls on the Wii will gimp the experience, so it's best to see some reviews first.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
thought this was interesting:

What They Play - Today - Top 10 video game preorders on Amazon

Wondering what the top 10 most pre-ordered games are right now? Amazon has a list that highlights what games are on the minds of gamers right now. Apparently everyone's psyched for strategy games right now, and a lot of PlayStation 3 owners are pre-ordering stuff. Click the links to check out screens for (most) of these upcoming games.

and sitting at number one?

1. Mario Power Tennis
The updated Gamecube tennis game for Wii, now with added "swing the controller around" controls. Dubbed "new play" by Nintendo.

:lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, fantastic game. just unreal the hype surrounding a repurposed gamecube game, no matter HOW good it is. it's right ahead of killzone 2, this symbol of high-tech graphical design

sorry, just, awesome and hilarious

:lol

[Nintex]

So Pikmin is out this friday in PAL land, who's buying?

I never finished Pikmin 2, so I'm not sure if I'll bother with Pikmin when I've got Chrono Trigger, House of the Dead, Street Fighter IV and other games to play.

Cdammen

wsippel said:
You can flip the covers as far as I can tell:

http://i42.tinypic.com/5ugx.jpg

There seem to be fullsize covers without that strange box on the back.
That's pretty cool. One cover to get people that don't know what it is to buy it and another one for the fans.

Could anyone confirm this cover switcheroo for US and EU covers?

farnham

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Mario Power Tennis is fucking awesome, it deserves it.
yes it is... i cannot rebuy it unfortunately... but i own the GC version and i can confirm that its a great game

Squeak said:
So what are the graphical enhancements for the Wii version? Higher res textures? Higher framerate?

Some games have added embellishments (Split screen for Mario Power Tennis and a picture in picture camera shot like what they had in the N64 game :D) and extra things added (DKJB has extra level objects, slightly touched up environments and models etc, but a great number of its stages have been heavily modified as well)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Alcibiades

f*ck!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/949/949811p2.html

I do have to admit, though, that it takes some getting used to the line controls. On GameCube, you could quickly pull Pikmin into a line with the second analog stick, deploying groups to allows, after enemies or even falling behind you as you walked between narrow areas. Now, you do this with by holding down on the D-Pad and pointing the Wii remote in the direction you want the line to form. If you're running forward and you want the Pikmin to fall behind you, you simply hold down on D-Pad and point behind Olimar. It certainly works, but it's a little less tactile than moving an analog stick around in 360-degree circles depending on the orientation you required. One of my coworkers has complained that his Pikmin were more prone to falling off ledges with the new control scheme. I haven't found that to be true, but I would say it's a little trickier and a little less natural than it was before.

I would settle for straight ports with the ability to save on the Wii flash memory... unfortunately I doubt Nintendo is gonna bother with a definitive version later on that keeps the GCN conrols as an option...

yeah, the impressions are mostly positive but I can't shake the feeling that Wii controls are both better and worse in some ways rather than just straight improvements...

PLEASE Nintendo give us an option going forward.

Zoc

I never played Pikmin on the GC, but I never had a single problem with the controls on the Wii.

Actually, I don't even understand what they were like. I assumed the first stick controlled Olimar, and the second stick controlled the target where you throw the pikmin. Is that not how it was?

Zoc said:
I never played Pikmin on the Wii, but I never had a single problem with the controls on the Wii.

Actually, I don't even understand what they were like. I assumed the first stick controlled Olimar, and the second stick controlled the target where you throw the pikmin. Is that not how it was?
It was more like the main stick controlled both the target and Olimar. You'd move the target around freely and Olimar would follow. It didn't feel disconnected at all, it's just difficult to explain.

Zoc

ShockingAlberto said:
It was more like the main stick controlled both the target and Olimar. You'd move the target around freely and Olimar would follow. It didn't feel disconnected at all, it's just difficult to explain.

Hmm. Well, the Wii controls were so natural, I don't think I'd want them any other way. Nobody should worry about them at all.

Anyway, if anyone thinks the original controls in any of these games were better, there's nothing stopping them from just going back and playing the originals.

Long ago when theorizing about how various older games would work with wiimote controls, my main thought for replacement of Pikmin's C-stick was that it would use a button in conjunction with the pointer, which it seems is the method they went with. My other thought was that you could just use the d-pad in place of the C-stick, though that would definitely remove precision.
Cassamassina said:
New Play Control! Pikmin looks like the GameCube title with widescreen support. Not some faked, stretched 16:9 mode, but the real deal, which is a huge plus because I had some concerns about how Nintendo planned to approach the addition.
Err, how is it any more real than any other anamorphic 16:9? What games with "fake" 16:9 is he even thinking of, other than the extremely rare goofiness like RE4 GCN which just used a 16:9 portion within a 4:3 frame.

Johnas

Vagabundo said:

What do u guys think?

A couple of things to point out here:

1) Are you playing the original black-label MP or the yellow-label Player's Choice version? I ask because in the PC version, Retro added some roadblocks and other things to prevent players from exploiting unintended sequence-breaking. A couple of things are still possible with workarounds, but the black-label original version is the purest and the most fun to play with all those added possibilities. I don't know for sure, but I would almost guarantee that this Wii version of MP will be like the PC version as far as that goes.

2) The game was designed around the GC controller, and as far as I'm concerned it works perfectly. I'm sure the Wii version will play well also, but I really like the GC controls, as do many others.

Bottom line-I'd definitely keep it if it's the black-label version, if it's the PC version then possibly, depending on how much you like/dislike the GC control scheme.

Chibi-Robo will probably be the only game i'll buy in this list but I'll definitely look after NeoGAF's impressions about the other games

hyduK

Banned
Vagabundo said:

What do u guys think?
Keep the GC version, MP is better without Wii controls.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zoc said:
I never played Pikmin on the GC, but I never had a single problem with the controls on the Wii.

My guess is that all the play on Wii titles are going to be great for people who never played them on GC (the target audience) but are gonna get slammed by people who had them for GC because the controls are different. There are people who think that the Wii RE4 controls are worse than using the GC controller, but as a newcomer to the game I can't imagine playing it with dual analog.

Datschge

PuppetSlave said:
Really sucks since I was looking forward too playing mario tennis with wii sport controls...
I'm honestly not sure if I can trust usual reviewers on this. I love Wii Sports' tennis controls, so if Mario Tennis GC Wii does nothing more than combining Mario Tennis GC with a carbon copy of the controls of Wii Sports it's already day one for me. My respect of the reviewers completely flushed through the toilet when most reviewed Wii Sports too superficially, and just this may happen again.

Leezard

hyduK said:
Keep the GC version, MP is better without Wii controls.
Aren't they the same as MP3 controls? If so, then the Wii controls are superior. They might make the game too easy though.

Slavik81

Mario Tennis looks pretty cool, actually.

666 said:
Fuck Nintendo are lazy. Make an actual sequel to these, dickheads! Not like you don't have the money.
Yeah. It's really unfortunate that Metroid Prime and Pikmen never got sequels.

Squeak

Leezard said:
Aren't they the same as MP3 controls? If so, then the Wii controls are superior. They might make the game too easy though.
Turning has taken a turn for the worse. Turning is probably the single action you are going to be doing the most of, in a fps style game, so it's inexplicable why Nintendo chose this control method.
Look at the Weather Channels Globe, how well a grab and pull interface works.
It would be much better and a lot closer to M&K, with some benefits.

Leezard

Squeak said:
Turning has taken a turn for the worse. Turning is probably the single action you are going to be doing the most of, in a fps style game, so it's inexplicable why Nintendo chose this control method.
You mean as in worse than MP3? I had no problems with turning there. Perhaps that I would sometimes look at something outside the game and accidentally turn around, but nothing worse.

Cdammen said:
That's pretty cool. One cover to get people that don't know what it is to buy it and another one for the fans.

Could anyone confirm this cover switcheroo for US and EU covers?

Yes, EU has a switch cover!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Squeak said:
As long as it is configurable then FPS controls can work great with the Wii remote. Medal of Honor:Heroes 2 proved this. Just make sure you allow for complete customization of bounding boxes.

Top Bottom