• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Game Center CX/Retro Game Challenge game coming for 3DS from G.Rev

Def Jukie

If this doesn't come to the US I may finally have to get a Japanese 3DS. I loved Retro Game Challenge. It's a shame the second one didn't make it to North America. Hopefully this one make's it over.

I want to be excited about this.
Unfortunately, while I could (and did) import GCCX 2, I will be unable to play this unless it gets localized. FML

emb

I got excited when I saw this announcement... then I realized, it's just another game to get not localized. :(

GhaleonQ

Brilliant. Indieszero to G.Rev is probably an overall upgrade in gameplay, though I do enjoy Indieszero. Can they capture the tone as flawless as Indieszero did? I'd argue that's more important.

Nice that Indieszero is not in the picture. The DS GCCX games are little funny throwbacks and homages to the show, but they... aren't very good games.

I hope they try something way different this time, too!

Detective Kacho is a legitimately fun, Capcom (or was it Konami?)-style graphic adventure game for the Famicom Disk System, right? Is it just that I like any graphic adventure game?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Detective Kacho is a legitimately fun, Capcom (or was it Konami?)-style graphic adventure game for the Famicom Disk System, right? Is it just that I like any graphic adventure game?

It's a tribute to games like Nintendo's Famicom Tantei Club and Yoji Hori's Portopia.

I would love to see an eShop release for this in the United States. I don't know how significant the GCCX overseas fan-base has grown since Arino no Chousenjou 2, but seems hefty just going by the SA team Facebook page alone.

I always enjoy the trivia quiz games Arino plays, especially that one game where you were raising a kid and her attributes and characteristics. I'd love a take on that.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Woah I just heard about this now. This is awesome.

Also, I wonder if this has any chance of being localized. 2 was not, but...well, I'll remain annoyingly hopeful considering this is a new system and developer...

mclem

Although it's worth noting Half Minute Hero probably doesn't have the licensing issue and still failed to come as a PSN title, but that's probably a bit more dialogue heavy and was THE biggest bomb of theirs as I recall, if RGC was ALMOST successful enough and brought down partially due to cart prices I can see eShop being more appealing.

I wonder about the possibility of a Guild01 approach: Cartridge release in Japan, games split up and (disappointingly!) contextual material removed for an eShop release in the west.

Dave Long

Banned
Retro Game Challenge is one of the best games I've played in the last five years. No lie. I really hope this one makes it here. :(

Tain

This is kind of a bummer to me. I thought the first game was pretty bad, but I don't think that handing it to an incredible developer like G.Rev will make a masterpiece out of it (assuming they keep a similar structure).

Eusis

I wonder about the possibility of a Guild01 approach: Cartridge release in Japan, games split up and (disappointingly!) contextual material removed for an eShop release in the west.
I thought about that, but the Guild games ARE more substantial. I think while a few games may survive alone this you'd be better off just bundling.

Then again it's not as if they can't charge just $3 for that early NES/Famicom style game.

Game came out on the Japanese eShop today. Played through the first two challenges for the Mario Brothers clone and it seems pretty good.

antun

I just unlocked the 4th real game "Saurus Boy" and so far the quality of the games is excellent! I really like them all so far.

Can´t wait to get them all and play for high scores and such!

I'm very tempted to pick this up. I enjoyed the first two GC:CX games.

Those who purchased: how much outside dialog do you have to wade through? From the promotional materials it seems like the game is even more focused on that than the previous ones. All I care about are the mock retro games.

Just an FYI, there is a fan translation in the works for RGC2 (can we provide links for that sort of thing?). Can't wait till it comes out.

I want to play this one too!

There is quite a bit more taking than the last two. One example is going around town to score the home version of the 3rd game you've been playing at the arcade by doing some simple fetch quests. It's skippable for the most part, if you're only interested in the faux-retro games. Just keep hitting A.

Just an FYI, there is a fan translation in the works for RGC2 (can we provide links for that sort of thing?).

You can talk about fan translations and link to the site for the patch as long as there aren't any links or instructions for downloading ROMs or disc images.

At this point, RGC2 is one of my two Holy Grails for DS translations (the other being 7th Dragon), and this is far and away the more likely one to come out. Plus, I think Ray Barnholdt was involved in this project in some way?

Especially since the platform is region locked.

Yeah, I imported RGC2 but clearly that's off the table for this one.

antun

Now I´m up to the part where you get the shmup "Zoliates" and the last game before it was FANTASTIC! It´s a Neo Geo mock up which is very fun to play and it has awesome music.

I feel as if all of the new games are really fun to play on their own and I cannot wait to get the other ones.

I´ve played both of the games for the original DS and I must say the playability of the mock up games in this one is higher when compared to the old ones. And I should add that I loved the old ones.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You can talk about fan translations and link to the site for the patch as long as there aren't any links or instructions for downloading ROMs or disc images.

At this point, RGC2 is one of my two Holy Grails for DS translations (the other being 7th Dragon), and this is far and away the more likely one to come out. Plus, I think Ray Barnholdt was involved in this project in some way?
At some point the original project died and got rolled into another project. I think the actual text was near done, since Zani-gari and some of the other SAGCCX people started working on it a while ago.

xk0sm0sx

I've been so fixated on LovePlus+ coming out next week I've forgotten about this game... Now I've got three games I need to get on 3DS in one shot (GCX, LovePlus+, A-Train 3D)

Why didn't they release A-Train on the E-Shop, damn it...

Definitely wanna hear more impressions on this. I totally forgot it came out today and passed on grabbing it at the store cause I hadn't heard much.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I´ve played both of the games for the original DS and I must say the playability of the mock up games in this one is higher when compared to the old ones. And I should add that I loved the old ones.
Well, this one was done by a different studio.

I've only played the eShop demo and didn't like the non-game part of it, but maybe I'll grab it once I get bored with and sell J-Stars if impressions from other people are good enough.

Top Bottom