• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God Of War III screens/trailer

DrPirate

Banned
Holy fuck, this is the end of God of War 2.

I can't believe it! I CAN'T WAIT!!! Trailer was epicly awesome and I can't believe that was gameplay, dear god!

I think most of the game will be scaling mt. olympus. Each new enviorment will be a different titan that you move to while climbing. Towards the end of the game you finally reach the top. It makes sense when you see how high they have left to climb and how slow they are moving.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
More from IGN on the trailer - it was made last Fall..just to put things into perspective a little..

The trailer, he stated, was a piece of work that had been completed last Fall, but the team had been waiting to fully unveil the entire thing. Everything within the trailer itself was "100% real," according to Asmussen. While the action within the trailer was scripted to tell the story that he wanted to tell for the trailer, "everything that you see in here is using actual in-game engine, resolution, effects. Let me assure you, we can draw Kratos in these levels and we can do all this stuff that's happening in here right now."

jett

D-Member
So...seems what we got at the VGAs was a truncated version of this trailer. I'm guessing this is still not what Jaffe saw. I hope we get more videos and not just this.

Haunted

Paracelsus said:
Especially if you consider that target render is actual gameplay.
I'd say it's neither. Obviously in-engine, but staged, not played (No HUD, camera angles, no orbs etc.).

Fuck that Sony rep, he doesn't know what he's talking about. :p

edit: told you.
The trailer, he stated, was a piece of work that had been completed last Fall, but the team had been waiting to fully unveil the entire thing. Everything within the trailer itself was "100% real," according to Asmussen. While the action within the trailer was scripted to tell the story that he wanted to tell for the trailer, "everything that you see in here is using actual in-game engine, resolution, effects. Let me assure you, we can draw Kratos in these levels and we can do all this stuff that's happening in here right now."

I have little doubt that Santa Monica can do that. Should be awesome :D Here's hoping for a '09 release.

Johann

elostyle said:
It looks very nice but I am surprised they stuck to the exact same look and style in textures and setting design that was essentially picked to make the game look good on PS2 hardware. It did, but it makes it look a bit dated now I think.

I believe they using the same game engine in GoW1/2 but re-writing some of its code for the PS3 hardware. That would explain the similarities.

Anyway, I'd be happy if it runs great. I've seen a lot of action games, most notably Ninja Gaiden 2, play terribly because of technical issues.

Tieno

Holy shit at the trailer. Now that's God of War, so much speaks through the animation and the fights. Very good fidelity too.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Damn, that actually made me excited. I really need to save up cash to buy a PS3 now.

I should've known it'd be this game that makes me get one in the end. I should've seen it coming.

jrricky said:
Yep you are hurt that I dont think the art direction is impressive after reading that flamebait comment. :lol

Wait so you thought it "was impressive" before the comment. You are a strange kid aren't you?:lol :lol

Did you even watch that trailer? Holy shit.

Esch

Banned
IGN said:
"Kratos 3.0." Essentially, what he was telling the audience was that this was a next gen Kratos. Not only has the development team focused solely upon using the game engine to create cinematics in-game, they've spent a large amount of time trying to make sure that Kratos looked as high res as possible. As a result, Stig mentioned that the amount of elements that had been added would possibly blur the lines between high res shots and in-game footage. The new Kratos features blended normal maps for realistic muscle flexing, high res shaders, rim shaders to stand out from the environment and other elements. In fact, Stig mentioned that his character model wouldn't even fit on the PS2 in its memory. Compared to the five thousand polygon count on the PS2, Kratos is now running around twenty thousand polygons on the PS3 alone.

So much for "GOW1 in HD"

IGN said:
the design team did state that there would be plenty of news coming about God of War III soon. Personally, I can't wait, because if it's even close to what we were shown during the screening, in the end, there might be only chaos, but it could also be one of the best games any system will ever have.

Omg where are my sedatives hnnnngh

____

PressAnnc06.bmp.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The IGN preview is really detailed..goes through another live demo they were shown as well.

Todd hit the start button, and the camera zoomed out from Kratos' face, which displayed realistic pores and texture on his teeth to the Spartan angrily flexing in a cave before he emerged to witness a titan made of molten lava that scaled one of the walls of the city. As the deity crested the wall, Helios attacked the titan from his chariot of the sun, waging a mighty battle with flashes of light bursting throughout the air. Kratos leapt from the cave into the courtyard of the city and landed in the middle of a battle with undead skeletons. Todd hit the circle button, and immediately grabbed the nearest soldier to use as a battering ram. According to Stig, if Todd hit the circle button once more, he would immediately start to beat the soldier, but if he hit the triangle button, he would rip him apart. Hitting X would throw him, while the square button would turn him into a battering ram. Todd proceeded to smash through some of the other enemies with the soldier before completing a combo to eject many of the collected troops. He then hit the circle button one last time and smashed the troops head against a wall.

Also...omnomnom @ 'Zippertech' :p

RamzaIsCool said:
Really the end part part of that trailer made me go wow, when I realised
that the whole thing took place on the back of a fucking huge Titan, climbing the Olympos (I presume)

Holy craps I didn't even catch that until now.

Nizz

Ok, trailer just makes me want this game right now! That was pretty impressive. The music, the game in motion, the enemies surrounding Kratos, him on top of a Cyclops, on top of
a TITAN PROBABLY CLIMBING MT. OLYMPUS!
C'mon, man! If you're a GoW fan and that didn't get you excited....

plovie

It's true that the screens are unimpressive, but it doesn't really matter since it's also true that it looks a lot better in motion.

rexor0717

That trailer looked pretty good. I'm not really flipping out on the graphics, but they are definitely nice. Luckily there is a long time until the game comes out, there is lots of room for improvement. But that gameplay looks great and it seems as if this game will redefine what epic really is.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Watched it again, and so yeah, this is basically the most amazing looking game after all. That trailer is simply insane. It's just funny how ridiculous some of the downputting comments will look now.

Top Bottom