• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War III screenshots

zoukka

C- Warrior said:
I have no interest in this game simply due to all the fuckin bitching in this thread. Holy shit. We actually have Gears of War screenshots in here ?!?! :lol

What's next, Killzone 2 shots?

Look for the reasons behind the GeoW shots dude.

Actually, I'd say most games don't really look much better in motion.

I'd say this gen is the first to do this. In the PS2 days you couldn't say pretty much anything about games with screens alone.

This gen is the generation of off-screen shots :lol

antiloop

mr_nothin said:
Just cause the scale is great...doesnt mean that the graphics are.
Technical achievements dont always translate well to the eyes.

High res textures have nothing on scale and a powerful score to match the awesomeness.

It's like comparing the big battles in Lord of the Rings and zoomed in close-ups of Gandalf or Aragorn.

JardeL

New GOWIII scans from OPM ; @ another forum ... :D

And "Lead in-game animator for God of War3" , Bruno Velazquez' comment on them , on his blog ;
Wow, I haven't seen that magazine yet, I need to go pick it up. I can confirm that, based on the scans, all the images are take straight from the game engine. All of the characters shown are the actual in-game models, not concept art. The build that these images were captured from is months old.
[ http://elanimador.blogspot.com/2009...howComment=1243745129557#c1936839680740328610 ] ...

BeeDog

:lol You ought to edit your post, scan's aren't allowed at all here.

But looking good, the new goatish enemy is awesome.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Already looks more detailed even from the low quality scans. Looking forward to seeing more gameplay footage at this E3. Shit will be insane.

21al354.jpg

Painting coming to life! :lol :lol :lol

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174465

New God of War 3 Combat and Boss Details
PTOM cover story reveals a few choice nuggets about Kratos' PS3 adventure.

The July issue of PlayStation: The Official Magazine (PTOM) features God of War 3 on its cover, and inside includes the first new info. on the game since Sony unveiled it back in February.

Kicking things off, lead combat designer Adam Puhl goes into detail on the game's Spider-Man-style grappling ability, which essentially takes the grapple points from God of War 2 and places them on the game's enemies. "At any point, if there's an enemy on the ground, in the air, wherever, Kratos can throw his blades at them, pull himself into that enemy [or pull the enemy over, or toss the enemy left or right], and perform a shoulder ram," he says. "When it hits, the game slows down, so you get this impactful attack, and you can continue to combo after that...the combat grapple is a linker for the entire combat system."

While the article doesn't reveal any new weapons, it confirms there will be four "main" ones in the finished game, so that leaves two (in addition to the blades and the Cestus) that have yet to be revealed. Apparently each weapon will be tied to its own magic attacks, and one of the Cestus' magics sees Kratos "pound the ground to send a massive wave of destruction in front of him," according to PTOM 's Teresa Dun. Puhl notes that magic attacks "will have more gameplay [than magics in previous God of War games]" and that "there'll be more interesting things that you can do" with them."

Another change to the game's mechanics is the addition -- or perhaps I should say rebranding -- of what the game calls "items." Puhl explains that players hesitated to use the Wind Bow in God of War 2 because it shared the same power bar as other, stronger magic attacks, so the developers created the "items" distinction to encourage players to use them more often. Items (such as the previously revealed Fire Bow and Helios' Head) will have their own power bar, which will automatically refill, so there's limited punishment for using them.

PTOM also had a chance to see a few new scenarios from the game for their story, the most newsworthy being the boss fight with Hades. As Dun describes it, the fight takes place in a "circular space" surrounded by souls that Hades can pick up and throw at Kratos, and at one point in the battle Hades tries to steal Kratos' soul from his body in a button-mashing tug of war.

That's it for now, but we'll have much more God of War 3 coverage on Tuesday, when Sony will bring the game by 1UP's E3 setup for an in-booth video demo and we'll get our first hands-on time with the game. Check out our E3 hub page for more details on what to expect from the show.

-viper-

Banned
Scans look great. Game looks better each time I see it. The screenshots are a few months old as well (from an old build) so I can't wait to see how it looks now!

Dante

Just saw em :) The character models are amazing. I thought Mehdi Jssef was the animation lead at Santa Monica now???

Cardon

"Hope “God of War 3” isn’t on your holiday wish list. Despite widespread assumptions that the game is due this year, word now is that it has been pushed to 2010 (as has the next “Gran Turismo”). We may get official confirmation of this tomorrow at Sony’s press conference. "

People actually expected it to be released this year? Such silliness.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
With Uncharted 2, and the new Ratchet and clank already coming this Fall, did anyone REALLY think that GOW3 would also come out this year?

Shurs

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
With Uncharted 2, and the new Ratchet and clank already coming this Fall, did anyone REALLY think that GOW3 would also come out this year?

Not expected, but I'd hoped for it.

Sony had already confirmed GOWIII to hit within the fiscal year 2010, and amar also confirmed a worldwide launch of GT5 around March or April 2010. Not many were expecting those games this year.

Shurs

H_Prestige said:
Sony had already confirmed GOWIII to hit within the fiscal year 2010, and amar also confirmed a worldwide launch of GT5 around March or April 2010. Not many were expecting those games this year.

But do you see Sony, outside of the holiday season, releasing two major titles so close together?

Edit: I guess Capcom did it this year with Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5.

Shurs said:
But do you see Sony, outside of the holiday season, releasing two major titles so close together?

Why not? GT and GoW are two extremely different markets. They definitely wouldn't hurt each other if the were released a month or two apart. If anything it'd be good for the PS3 to have big guns pumping out like that early in the year.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That last one is... wow.

Huttie0

Banned
In the second picture, they used the same kratos as the painting with the rail cars.

And he's still not in correct perspective. Who's copy pasting Kratos in these? :lol

alr1ghtstart said:

Are those Hermes' Boots(the ones Kratos are wearing)?Notice the wing design on them and that in the screenshots he isn't wearing them yet.
Does that mean we get them at some point? :D

Arsenic

Fimbulvetr said:
Are those Hermes' Boots(the ones Kratos are wearing)?Notice the wing design on them and that in the screenshots he isn't wearing them yet.
aww man. why'd you have to point that out :lol

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Fimbulvetr said:
Nice, Kratos is gonna Megaman his way through the entire Greek god line-up.

noah111

Still Alive
alr1ghtstart said:
some PSN wallpapers
sep62gzgvnu2azx5bib.jpg
I totally understand what jaffe meant with the whole 'painting come to life' statement. It's not just on the visual or artistic front, but they really capture that brutality and feeling they portray in the concept arts, it's just awesome to see. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm pretty excited for the game, but considering it's going head to head with Bayonetta, the lack of graphical wow is a little underwhelming.

kikanny

thetrin said:
I'm pretty excited for the game, but considering it's going head to head with Bayonetta, the lack of graphical wow is a little underwhelming.
What do you mean by lack of graphical wow? The game looks amazing as it is. Looks miles better than Bayonetta. I'm not expecting Uncharted 2 level graphics...I'm just wondering what you're expectations are...

thetrin said:

Do people think Bayonetta is graphically 'wow' then? I've always felt it looks too shiny and 'meh'. God of War III (and Dantes Inferno) are much more my style graphically. I like that given the sense of scale, the development team have given attention to the small things like Krato's expressions, the light glimmering off his armour and weapons, some excellent texturing etc. All of those things added up make it a real looker for me.

I'm excited to see the new media due out later this month, only a few days away now! I bet the animations on Hades are awesome.

jett

D-Member
thetrin said:

Graphically GOW3 takes a giant shit on either version of Bayonetta.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
kikanny said:
What do you mean by lack of graphical wow? The game looks amazing as it is. Looks miles better than Bayonetta. I'm not expecting Uncharted 2 level graphics...I'm just wondering what you're expectations are...

I'm not looking at it and saying "HOLY CRAP THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE!"

I find myself saying that when I play Bayonetta.

I'm certainly not shitting on the game. I'm pretty excited for it. I just wish it looked a little better.

Pterion

thetrin said:
:lol Bayonetta looks impressive to some?

Top Bottom