• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Grand Theft Auto V screens and interview

Dabanton

Me too, GTA4 easily had the weakest soundtrack for me since the GTAs went 3d.

I'd say it was better.

The problem is it wasn't obvious.

It's easy to collate a soundtrack like Vice City due to the era of music. You can practically pick any 80's song and it would have been the acquired mood setter. San Andreas with the exception of K-Rose was also pretty obvious due to the era it was in.

Much more of a difficult job to do that in a game set in modern times.

And considering the breadth of stations in GTA:IV I would say they pretty much nailed it. Only the Jazz station was disappointing the rest though were great. Even the rap/hip hop stations avoided the obvious songs.

Marleyman

Banned
I'd say it was better.

The problems was it wasn't obvious.

It's easy to collate a soundtrack like Vice City due to the era of music. You can practically pick any 80's song and it would have been the acquired mood setter. San Andreas with the exception of K-Rose was also pretty obvious due to the era it was in.

Much more of a difficult job to do that in a game set in modern times.

And considering the breadth of stations in GTA:IV I would say they pretty much nailed it. Only the Jazz station was disappointing the rest though were great. Even the rap/hip hop stations avoided the obvious songs.

Great post. I really liked the songs that mentioned the fake boroughs; just added to the immersion for me.

GlamFM

Banned
Need MORE.

Here you go my friend - Two new screens:

251.s1280

491.s1280

Edit - Damn, I was too slow...

Edit#2 - Screens are getting worse (more realistic) the closer we get to release I think.

Fjordson

Can't wait to see the cover. Hope they keep the style similar to the previous games.

I'd say it was better.

The problems was it wasn't obvious.
Absolutely.

Hits from the 80's and 90's (Vice City and San Andreas) are pretty awesome, and made for soundtracks that are almost universally recognizable and enjoyable.

Popular radio today? Pretty boring.

This has been circlulating 4chan, but apparently Kavinsky is confirmed to have his own radio station "NightRideFM" as was announced by a french reporter, and was hinted on Kavinsky's own twitter

make fun of me if old

Oh dude....Really hyped if true. Sleeping Dogs had a lot of music that really added to the atmosphere on Ninja Tune, Warp Radio, and Softly. Kavinsky having his own station would do the same for GTAV.

Dennis

Banned
That's....horrible.

Yes.

People try to quote them, and thus downsample them, to hide the truth. But they are ugly as hell.

But we should keep in mind that that is in fact what current gen console games look like.

Kudos to Rockstar on being honest.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yes.

People try to quote them, and thus downsample them, to hide the truth. But they are ugly as hell.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure that's the reason why people quote pics.

*facepalm*

Derrick01

Banned
Christ who the hell cares? These games are always ugly for their time, all that matters is if they're fun to play.

I'm currently having way more fun with the barf inducing San Andreas on my PC than I did with GTA 4 with that ice mod on PC.

Aguirre

Yes.

But we should keep in mind that that is in fact what current gen console games look like.

they always look better in motion.

omonimo

Banned
It's quite... strange. Even RDR on ps3 has more foliage of those GTA V pics. Probably the area is so huge which not allow so many 'grass' details.

NinjaBoiX

I don't understand the complaints about da grafix. It's a huge, open world, with advanced physics systems, weather, loads of AI routines running; it's not going to look like GoW3.

I think it looks great all things considered.

Eideka

Banned
Yes.

I agree at least Rockstar is not trying to fool us with regard to what the game looks like. I expect a despicable IQ and a lot of aliasing.

GlamFM

Banned
Yes.

Or you know.. maybe people just quote them so they dont take up the entire screen.

What´s your deal?

Dennis

Banned
I don't understand the complaints about da grafix. It's a huge, open world, with advanced physics systems, weather, loads of AI routines running; it's not going to look like GoW3.

I think it looks great all things considered.

So is Far Cry 3 and that looks stunning.

What is the budget for GTA V? 100 million dollars? More?

Derrick01

Banned
It's quite... strange. Even RDR on ps3 has more foliage of those GTA V pics. Probably the area is so huge which not allow so many 'grass' details.

RDR is nothing but desert, mountains in the background and a few "towns" with a few buildings placed next to each other. They have more room and leeway to pepper the area with pieces of foliage.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, but FC3 tears like a mofo for us console plebians. I'd like to think gta5 will run a little more smoothly.

But yeah, FC3 is outstanding, I'm loving it.

I haven't even played Far Cry 3 and I can guess it probably isn't even doing half of what GTAV will be. The amount of vehicles + pedestrians + Euphoria under the hood alone is hugely taxing with the tiny amount of RAM they're using. A bigger budget doesn't mean magic.

Horns

People forget how terrible San Andreas looked when it first came out on consoles. It did so much, looked good in motion and was so much fun that Rockstar was largely not criticized for the graphics. I'm not sure why people expect V to be much different.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Or you know.. maybe people just quote them so they dont take up the entire screen.

What´s your deal?
He's the guy that went "it must ne running on a pc with two graphic cards OMG" when he saw the trailer. PC MASTER RACE DUDE that doesn't know better joke character.

Also, two nice screens. Gimme a release date so I can make myself free for a couple of days R*!

Fjordson

Eh, I don't know if FC 3 counts outside of the PC version. The game runs like total shit on consoles. I'm hoping this will be better.

Now if GTA V sacrifices some visual bells and whistles and is still running at 12 FPS then that'll be unfortunate, but I'll keep faith for now that R* can pull it off.

UrbanRats

Ah, can't wait to see the cover.
Yes those screens look rough, but it's a console game, they all look like shit at this point in time, if you're used to play on PC.
Unless they are corridor games with a huge budget, that is.

lefantome

Ok some screens shows some problems but:

1) It's an huge improvement compared to GTA IV
2) I've never seen a console game offering the same features and better graphics

Sleeping dogs console for example:

1280x-1

1280x-1

1280x-1

Aguirre

Ok some screens shows some problems but:

1) It's an huge improvement compared to GTA IV
2) I've never seen a console game offering the same features and better graphics

Sleeping dogs console for example:

how come the buildings are blurred, some vehicles are blurred but some arent? the people dont seem blurred either

lefantome

Today I've found an interesting rumor from November 3 2011, just a day after Trailer 1.

The original post was made on GTAforums by an user who claimed to be a journalist of a UK magazine who had seen the game in advance. He later claimed to be a PSM3 journalists announcing the first preview for January 2012.
All these info were clearly not exactly true and could have been a way to put on the wrong track and also, the user act like a troll but could be staged,who knows.

The most important thing is that a great part lots of infos have been confirmed afterwards, a couple of them, one protagonist(Franklin) and the one about body weight could be interpreted.

As today none of these info has been proven completely wrong.

Lucky and/or smart guess or real leak?

Infos confirmed after the leak and notes underlined
The game world is absolutely massive and will push both Xbox and PS3 to the very limit in terms of what it has accomplished. Yes, the main city is simply Los Santos however is it AT LEAST 4 times bigger than Liberty City in GTA 4 and that is just Los Santos. The surrounding country side, beaches, etc are massive. For instance, we saw the main character (an African/American, early 30′s)[After Trailer 1 a middle age caucasian man was more likely and Franklin is one of the three protagonists] travel by car from the center of Los Santos into the wildnerness and it took over 15 minutes.

The views were incredible from farmhouses with cattle, huge wind farms, an oil refinery which appeared to be living and breathing with nearly 100 NPCs working on machinery, operating vehicles, lifting and loaded, etc, unlike the gas works in GTA 4 which seemed to only house a few NPC at a time.
The forests are more beautiful than those in RDR and featured people camping, young NPC drinking and dancing around campfires, people riding dirt bikes[Trailer 2 + screenshot] and jumping over logs, streams, etc. The water effects, forna, plants, trees all looked beautiful.

The shooting mechanics have been greatly improved[Game Informer] with animations for diving, climbing, rolling and crawling all added for better realism. The re-loading animations for new ammo also look cooler, less static.

There is much more climbable elements in the world such as ladders, overhand climbing, etc.[Trevor vinewood sign screenshots?]

There are animals in the game from dogs to cattle[Other Previews + Leslie Benzies interview] but at this time it is not confirmed if you will be able to harm the animals. Rockstar were able to get away with it in RDR as it was a true depiction of the world in which the game was set. Allowing dogs/cattle to die in a game sent in current times may cause headaches with PETA. Its unclear if Rockstar were joking here.
There are planes to pilot and they can be crashed into buildings if you choose to do so….

Rockstar have included many, many more interior locations [As Houser was counting interiors to estimate the map size we can assume that there will be more and bigger interiors. Game Informer] such as a shopping mall, college campus, police station, a huge hospital and there is also a vast underground sewer network which one mission later in the game involves a jet ski chase that culminates in a Fugitive-esque waterfall jump ( there are nods to the ridiculous but awesome Ballad Of Gay Tony missions)
The city is full of NPCs jogging, weight-lifting, hitting on women, being chased on foot by cops, shopping, washing cars, fixing fences, moving home, filling up their cars, etc.[compatible with Game Informer info]

The following is a list of what the employee called the “real juicy info”:

Cars can be upgraded/repaired and it has been considered to have a car have fuel forcing the player to fill her up.
The dating aspect of the game is gone. [Game Informer] You still have a cell-phone but only people you will meet in the game will call you to ask you to do a mission or to ask you to do something else before the mission.[Game Informer]

Weapons include the usual arsenal you’d aspect but the flamethrowers, remote mines, laxer trip mines and claymores are included. It is possible now to pick up random objects in a street/buidling to use as a weapon. There is also a museam where it is possible to steal old age swords, axes, etc.

It is possible to rupture a fuel line and if you shot at the trail of gasoline it will lead straight back to the car blowing it up.[Trevor Screenshot + Previews]

Mini games such as bowling, darts, etc have all gone. [Preview ?] You can play basketball, weight train, arm wrestle, gamble and cage fight, enter triatholons, water races [Game Informer], cannoing, ab-saling, rock climbing, base jumping, ski diving [Game Informer]. More to be confirmed.
Character customisation is back but only in terms of clothing [Game Informer], body weight [They tried to include it but it didn't work well with the animation system. Game Informer], etc. The player you start off which, much like CJ, can’t be altered by race, age, height, etc.

Rockstar said burglary missions may return but only as part of missions and not on neigbourhood houses.[Confirmed but where? I don't remember]
No children NPC at all. Ever.

There is now an ability to grab people and use as sheilds or in “hostage” situations.

The cops are much, much, much more realistic. If you kill somebody when you know there are no cops around you will not run the risk of a one star as often as you would in GTA4. The cops will use smoke and tear gas, dogs, riot gear and rams to knock down the doors of buildings you are hiding in.

You can enter some buildings and lock doors, push objects in the way to barricade.
You become better at things as the game progresses. If you only ride motorbikes then you will increase your skills, same as individual weapons.

Certain weapons can be customisable[Confirmed by screenshots?] and some even home-made.

One mission involves breaking out a very familiar GTA icon from a previous game…[Previous HD era characters are confirmed. Game Informer]
Torrential rain fall and sunshine and even tremors will appear in the game.
http://www.vg247.com/2011/11/05/rumor-supp...azine-employee/

Work in progress. Help me track the confirmed details.

Notes Sources:
http://www.gtav.net/news/archive.php?year=2012&month=11
http://www.gtav.net/news/4486/game-informer-reader-qampa
http://www.gtav.net/news/4481/igns-intervi...cer-les-benzies
http://www.gtav.net/news/4477/first-gtav-o...new-screenshots
http://www.gtav.net/news/4473/game-informe...w-now-available

Official Sentences confirming Leak infos:

NY Times interview with Dan Houser

- In a demo version one character pours a ring of gasoline around a truck and lights it on fire.

IGN interview with Leslie Benzies

- But because of the scale of the map [in GTA V] and the different kinds of areas involved, a countryside without animals would feel quite hollow.
- to the triathlon, which makes a welcome return

IGN interview with Dan Houser

-On why San Andreas’ body building mechanic isn’t in GTA V:
It's a really cool feature, and we just haven't really used it since. We'd love to use it in a future game. It works really well in a California-set game. It just looked like, if the three characters were going to be something that was worth having, then that was something it would be worth not having.
-There may or may not be a few guest appearances.

Game Informer Preview + Interviews

-Shooting: we feel like we've evolved from where we had in any previous game long way. And not just in terms of how it works but also in terms of the core mechanic.
-When you include interior and exterior together, Los Santos is bigger than the world of Sand Andreas, Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto IV combined, with room to spare
-Allowing players to gain or lose weight had a unique set of technical challenges.... doing that with three different charachters, we definitely thought about it but was impossibile, we just weren't going to get the results we want with the way the rest of the animation system works
-You can still customize the look of your charachter with different clothing-
-GTA V expands on extra curricular activities in a major way with options like: yoga, jet skiing, base jumping, tennis and even a full fledged golf game.
- [about the return of romange] I don't think so, simply because of the nature of the characters.
- each protagonists has his own cast of friends to interact with
- Houser confirmed that some familiar faces from GTA4 and EEFLC may resourfaces in LS
- GTA V preserves the mobile phone concept but you won't get call from friends all the time.

It was posted on Gtaforums, but seems that the administration don't want people to talk about it, instead they allow people talk about crazy theories like 2405, deepthroatgta4 etc..

It was posted on Gtaforums, but seems that the administration don't want people to talk about it, instead they allow people talk about crazy theories like 2405, deepthroatgta4 etc..

image.php

But seriously, some of that sounds too specific to be lucky guesses (the gasoline lighting, specifically mentioning dogs and cattle which are the only land animals we've seen so far, Etc.).

If that's stuff true, then I certainly hope for the shooting mechanics to include all that too.

Top Bottom