• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Grand Theft Auto V screens: TRANSPORT

Coolwhip

Banned
Surely someone so passionate about pointing out jaggies realises that jaggies are improved by increasing the resolution and AA, options that are typically readily available in PC games in all but the shittest of ports (Dark Souls). Very bizarre thing to be dismayed about.

It's the sharp knee syndrome. Best to ignore it.

abundant

Oh look, some GTA 5 media after a better game comes out.

First it was the trailer before SR3 and now it's screens after Sleeping Dogs. Man, R* must be shitting bricks over how their series is fast becoming irrelevant.

How is GTA becoming irrelevant when GTA 4 is still one of the most played games on the 360?

ekim

AFter looking at the screens again I'm not completely sure whether the bike shot is a bullshot or even a pc/nextgen one.

First it was the trailer before SR3 and now it's screens after Sleeping Dogs. Man, R* must be shitting bricks over how their series is fast becoming irrelevant.

So much wrong in this post I am really not sure where to start....

Salacious Crumb

I love both of those games, but neither will ever come close to GTA IVs sales, which is over 20 million at this point. GTA is no where close to irrelevant.

Ranger X

Rockstar is hilarious. Remember their reasons for the planes not being there in GTA4? Supposedly their were hitting some technical problems and didn't want to sacrifice whatever the hell there was in order to implement it. Obviously I didn't believe this shit at the time, Rockstar simply didn't have time to implement gameplay in GTA4 so they had to tell the public something remotely believable.

ANYHOW, with this said, I am happy to see those 2 pics. They indicate there are planes and bikes and this gives the opportunity of having more gameplay like bringing back plane stuff from San Andreas and the courrier missions.

lefantome

Has the marketing started?
R* released the first trailer in november probably only to pump Max Payne 3 marketing. If they are releasing these screenshots because of Sleeping Dogs, it means that GTA V is coming in the following few months, if not Sleeping Dogs won't cause no harm to GTAV like all the SR did.

What happened in the last period:

-Rockstar released two screenshots in july after months of complaints by fans, probably they did it only because of this.
-Rockstar updated Episolon Program website and opened a twitter(is working almost daily) and a youtube account.
-Rockstar update the game page on their website with a screenshot section and after few days new screenshots are released.

What could happen:

-Thursday/friday: the other 3 screenshots are released, announcement of the new trailer that will come in the following 1-2 weeks.
-1-2 weeks from now: Trailer 2 released with release date and platform. preaorders start.
-September: Game informer cover
-mid september: limited edition reveal.
-Late october/november: release.

Forever Junior.

Idiot.

How is GTA becoming irrelevant when GTA 4 is still one of the most played games on the 360?

Except it's not.

So much wrong in this post I am really not sure where to start....

Why don't you try, enlighten me on what's wrong...

I love both of those games, but neither will ever come close to GTA IVs sales, which is over 20 million at this point. GTA is no where close to irrelevant.

Sales-wise it dominated, but in a market where open world story driven weren't as plentiful as they are now, they've also lost a lot of fans after GTA4.

GTA5 has a lot of live up to after SR's phenomenal leap in quality, sames goes for Sleeping Dogs. There's also the fun factor, they'll be competing against Saints Row 4 next year and if it's anything like GTA4....oh boy.

There's also the tiny little fact that GTA4 sold off the extremely good and well received San Andreas, GTA5 will be coming off GTA4...

July 12th was the last time they released screenshots for the game.

This line was included in the release:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...wered-max-payne-3-and-grand-theft-auto-v.html

"We just have not been in a position to show more of the game than the trailer and will not be for a while yet."

They consider a month and 1 week to be "a while"

by my calculations 37 days perfectly lines up with september 26th. This also happens to be when Yom Kippur ends. ipso factso this represents Kraf as the antithesis of the jewish holiday. GTAV will either release on September 27th or there will be a new trailer on this day.

So says Kraf.

ironcreed

Banned

Irrelevant? Remember that after it's sales are through the roof, lol. Seriously, I can enjoy GTA as well as other games within the genre as well. Why does it always have to be one or the other? Some games may do certain things better, but that does not make GTA irrelevant on the whole.

Love or hate the series, there is no denying that it is an absolute top shelf production. GTA IV in particular has an amazing city-life atmosphere and I appreciate it for trying to deliver that. Sure, the gameplay was still a bit wonky, the driving was a bit too heavy and it lacked that Vice City edge, but the game was still a fantastic piece of work for what it was. I can understand if it was not your cup of tea, but if you can't see and at least respect the amount of work that went into Liberty City then I don't know what to say.

Currently 11th in the most active titles on Live: Link

Now, I think that's pretty damn good for a game that's over 4 years old, doesn't shout 'irrelevant' to me.

Look at all of the fanfare surrounding the initial announcement of GTAV and the subsequent trailer too.

Irrelevant? Remember that after it's sales are through the roof, lol. Seriously, I can enjoy GTA as well as other games within the genre as well. Why does it always have to be one or the other? Some games may do certain things better, but that does not make GTA irrelevant on the whole.

Love or hate the series, there is no denying that it is an absolute top shelf production. GTA IV in particular has an amazing city-life atmosphere and I appreciate it for trying to deliver that. Sure, the gameplay was still a bit wonky, the driving was a bit too heavy and it lacked that Vice City edge, but the game was still a fantastic piece of work for what it was. I can understand if it was not your cup of tea, but if you can't see and at least respect the amount of work that went into Liberty City then I don't know what to say.

I don't need to respect the city or the work that went into it. I respect developers for their work on story, etc and that's where GTA4 was completely lacking.

The story was ass, the missions were ass, the game was shockingly repetitive, the car handling was somewhat decent once you got used to it, but Niko's controls were shockingly bad...there's also the fact that the game tried too hard to capture a more realistic tone which resulted in them having virtually nothing fun for players to do.

Was the city good? Sure, but even there the game is positively redundant when compared to the significantly better Sleeping Dogs.

Bicycles!

It's gonna be fun doing some MP races in them.

F58Y5.jpg

exactly, an homage to one of San Andreas' most awesome mission sets.

I don't need to respect the city or the work that went into it. I respect developers for their work on story, etc and that's where GTA4 was completely lacking.

The story was ass, the missions were ass, the game was shockingly repetitive, the car handling was somewhat decent once you got used to it, but Niko's controls were shockingly bad...there's also the fact that the game tried too hard to capture a more realistic tone which resulted in them having virtually nothing fun for players to do.

Was the city good? Sure, but even there the game is positively redundant when compared to the significantly better Sleeping Dogs.

Did you play the expansions?

Ballad of Gay Tony was fantastic and brought back some of the OTT nature of previous games.

mozi

Neo Member
After seeing these screens I hopr Rockstar Games brings back the fun and mayhem factor to GTA after Saints Row 3 raised the bar.

Fingers crossed that it is San Andreas 2.0 and not morbid, depressing, fat cousins want to go bowling and hang out sim 2.0

Idiot.

Except it's not.

There's also the tiny little fact that GTA4 sold off the extremely good and well received San Andreas, GTA5 will be coming off GTA4...

Lol you are joking right? Also great job on keeping it classy.

Here's the list of Live's most played games for the week of May 14:

1)Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

2)Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition

3)Call of Duty: Black Ops

4)FIFA 12

5)Battlefield 3

6)Halo: Reach

7)Modern Warfare 2

8)NBA 2K12

9)Skyrim

10)Gears of War 3

11)GTA IV

12)Forza Motorsport 4

13)Max Payne 3

14)Trials Evolution

15)Mass Effect 3

16)NHL12

17)Madden NFL 12

18)Halo 3

19)Red Dead Redemption

20)Saints Row: The Third

3 Rockstar games above SR3. Rockstar still owns sales and play time on name alone. Same as CoD. LA Noire also sold a bazillion copies just because it was classified as free-roam and came from Rockstar. Laymen buy it on thse aspects alone. GAF is small talk in the grand scheme of things and our enthusiast opinions don't mean jack to the big picture.

canedaddy

Sleeping Dogs is a fun game, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but it's not on the same level as GTA. It's a shame this nonsense has to start every time a new clone comes out that doesn't suck.

Did you play the expansions?

Ballad of Gay Tony was fantastic and brought back some of the OTT nature of previous games.

I did, but the games were still lacking in virtually all departments. The story was somewhat better in Gay Tony and especially Lost and Damned, but the core gameplay was still as bad as it was in 4.

UrbanRats

Sales-wise it dominated, but in a market where open world story driven weren't as plentiful as they are now, they've also lost a lot of fans after GTA4.

GTA5 has a lot of live up to after SR's phenomenal leap in quality, sames goes for Sleeping Dogs. There's also the fun factor, they'll be competing against Saints Row 4 next year and if it's anything like GTA4....oh boy.

As far as i know, RDR sold a shitload and a ton of people consider it one of the best game this gen.
Also Ballad of Gay Tony already showed that they're getting back on track with the "fun" factor.

Saint's Row 4 coming out next year is not exactly a fact, that said, i doubt R* has been sitting on their asses all this time, and the sheer amount of money and resources they have at their disposal is unmatched, i don't think they'd go and be cheap on GTAV, after all the crap they've overdone for Max Payne 3, that was a far smaller franchise.

Ranger X

LA setting? Check
Jets? Check
Bikes? Check

Best Theft Auto is back, bitches.

Things being "back" doesn't warranty you any gameplay or improvements. I was super happy the taxis were coming back in GTA4... until I realised they removed all of what was making the taxis an incredibly fun sub-game ala Crazy Taxi. So what if bikes are there but there's only the NPCs using them? What if the planes are there but there's no missions or sub-games using them at all? Seriously, I can't give back my trust this easily. I will need video of gameplay stuff to believe GTA is back.

Marleyman

Banned
I will need video of gameplay stuff to believe GTA is back.

It never left. Also, Rockstar isn't going to put out a similar game to GTA IV vanilla; we all should know that. It was there first attempt this gen w/ an open world game. They made improvements with the expansions and RDR continued that improvement. They will throw out all the stops for this title because they have built towards that being the case.

Dabanton

The fact that people are seriously comparing games released in 2008 and 2012 speaks volumes of GTA:IV staying power.

A s for Sleeping Dogs it's fresh and we all know when it comes to games fresh stuff is always awesome. At least for the first few weeks. So it will be interesting to see if people are still love with it in a few months time.

Ranger X

It never left. Also, Rockstar isn't going to put out a similar game to GTA IV vanilla; we all should know that. It was there first attempt this gen w/ an open world game. They made improvements with the expansions and RDR continued that improvement. They will throw out all the stops for this title because they have built towards that being the case.

This is of course a sensible thing to say. It makes sense that this is what's supposed to happen. BUT I won't get excited just yet. Anybody can screw up, Rockstar included. They might think that people want GTA to become even more serious, realistic and cinematic. They might think they were on the right track with GTA4 ---- I personally think they weren't.

derFeef

Many people disagree with me, but to me it left with SA.

Dabanton

After playing Max Payne 3 and then going back to GTA:IV you can se the massive steps that R* has taken just not in using RAGE and natural motion, but in art direction and character design

Can't wait to see what they have in store.

As far as i know, RDR sold a shitload and a ton of people consider it one of the best game this gen.
Also Ballad of Gay Tony already showed that they're getting back on track with the "fun" factor.

Saint's Row 4 coming out next year is not exactly a fact, that said, i doubt R* has been sitting on their asses all this time, and the sheer amount of money and resources they have at their disposal is unmatched, i don't think they'd go and be cheap on GTAV, after all the crap they've overdone for Max Payne 3, that was a far smaller franchise.

What does RDR have to do with anything?

See, this is all wrong. There was virtually nothing in Gay Tony that showed or even hinted at them getting back on track with the 'fun factor'.

Two to three 'fun' missions isn't a sign of them getting 'back on track with the fun factor', hell, the majority of the other missions were cookie cutter missions/similar to those from the core game.

As for resources, yeah, they had those resources when they were working on GTA4 and look how that turned out. Having more resources than other developers doesn't mean you'll put out a better game.

Marleyman

Banned
This is of course a sensible thing to say. It makes sense that this is what's supposed to happen. BUT I won't get excited just yet. Anybody can screw up, Rockstar included. They might think that people want GTA to become even more serious, realistic and cinematic. They might think they were on the right track with GTA4 ---- I personally think they weren't.

But the track record speaks differently. Sure, anyone can screw up but to not have faith in this particular company, who own the open world space for years basically, is just strange.

They changed things up to satisfy fan complaints with the expansions though; they obviously changed it up in response to criticism.

Sethos

Banned

So low intellect based on oxygen deprivation wasn't a myth after all

Hey You

Rockstar is hilarious. Remember their reasons for the planes not being there in GTA4? Supposedly their were hitting some technical problems and didn't want to sacrifice whatever the hell there was in order to implement it. Obviously I didn't believe this shit at the time, Rockstar simply didn't have time to implement gameplay in GTA4 so they had to tell the public something remotely believable.

I thought they removed jets so people didn't recreate 9/11? Or was that what was just made up?

I honestly cannot remember.

ironcreed

Banned

I'll grant you the wonky controls and Sleeping Dogs having much better gameplay. We agree on those points. But on the whole, GTV IV still captured me with things like the amazing atmosphere and wonderful physics to play around with. While it certainly was not as crazy as Vice City or San Andreas, that city realism they were going for still resonated with me. As it did with many. *shrugs*

In terms of horrible story? Well, it may not be Oscar worthy material, but it sure as hell beats the pants off of the ultra-stupid Saints Row. In which a horrible story is in place merely to give you an excuse to run around in Licha Libre gear, while swatting people with giant dildos. Sure, it's funny for awhile. But the game does not offer much, if any substance beneath all of the silliness and it sure as hell does not have the production value of GTA. But hey, to each their own.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Things being "back" doesn't warranty you any gameplay or improvements. I was super happy the taxis were coming back in GTA4... until I realised they removed all of what was making the taxis an incredibly fun sub-game ala Crazy Taxi. So what if bikes are there but there's only the NPCs using them? What if the planes are there but there's no missions or sub-games using them at all? Seriously, I can't give back my trust this easily. I will need video of gameplay stuff to believe GTA is back.
There's nothing wrong with being a cynic, but come on.. you really think they're showing this stuff off and wont allow you to use them? Especially considering the previous game that was in the same setting allowed you to do so? Rockstar is not that cruel. They are not Gamfreak.

They've really only fucked up once with the mainline GTA, and Red Dead was fucking ace. Again, there's nothing wrong with being a cynic but don't take it overboard.

Top Bottom