• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Grand Theft Auto V screens: TRANSPORT

Ranger X

But the track record speaks differently. Sure, anyone can screw up but to not have faith in this particular company, who own the open world space for years basically, is just strange.

They changed things up to satisfy fan complaints with the expansions though; they obviously changed it up in response to criticism.

Maybe, but I won't be deceived this time. Low expectations for the win. At worse I will end up surprised and will love GTA5.

Horns

I've always wondered what the % of people are who just run from the police and mess around in GTAs while ignoring the missions. I know 2 people IRL who do this, they're not big gamers, they just like the thrill of causing chaos.

I'm sure Rockstar will keep them in mind for GTA V by making planes and bikes accessible early on.

I'll grant you the wonky controls and Sleeping Dogs having much better gameplay. We agree on those points. But on the whole, GTV IV still captured me with things like the amazing atmosphere and wonderful physics to play around with. While it certainly was not as crazy as Vice City or San Andreas, that city realism they were going for still resonated with me. As it did with many. *shrugs*

In terms of horrible story? Well, it may not be Oscar worthy material, but it sure as hell beats the pants off of the ultra-stupid Saints Row. In which a horrible story is in place merely to give you an excuse to run around in Licha Libre gear, while swatting people with giant dildos. Sure, it's funny for awhile, but the game does not offer much, if any substance beneath all of the silliness and it sure as hell does not have the production value of GTA. But hey, to each their own.

See, now I don't consider SR to have a good story, it's never had a good story but that's not the point of SR. The point of SR is to allow players complete freedom to have as miuch fun as possible in a city, This is where SR2 excels and this where SR4 will excel.

I do consider SP to have a good story (unless it drops off a cliff towards the end), that's what I'll be comparing GTS5 to and R* have their work cut out for them trying to match that level of good storytelling.

Your perogative; I just trust them to deliver as they have for every open world title they have released.

The thing I'm most excited about in a new GTA game isn't the gameplay, but all the immersive extra stuff. The Scientology church like tease last month already alluded to that, so I can't wait what North comes up with in terms of Radio, TV, Internet, comedy clubs and other stuff. If you think about it that shit is bananas. I know more fake brands and dialogue from GTA IV than I know mainline stuff from other open world games. That's how strong the immersion is in GTA, even if you don't like the gameplay that much.

See, now I don't consider SR to have a good story, it's never had a good story but that's not the point of SR. The point of SR is to allow players complete freedom to have as miuch fun as possible in a city, This is where SR2 excels and this where SR4 will excel.

SR3 was my #2 in the 2011 GotY but seriously, that city has NO soul.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
I've always wondered what the % of people are who just run from the police and mess around in GTAs while ignoring the missions. I know 2 people IRL who do this, they're not big gamers, they just like the thrill of causing chaos.

I'm sure Rockstar will keep them in mind for GTA V by making planes and bikes accessible early on.

Cheat code

Ranger X

Your perogative; I just trust them to deliver as they have for every open world title they have released.

Man, the GTA4 knife. I'm sorry. My expectations killed me back there. I still loved the game but you could have said to me it's another franchise than GTA and I wouldn't have broke a sweat.

UrbanRats

What does RDR have to do with anything?

See, this is all wrong. There was virtually nothing in Gay Tony that showed or even hinted at them getting back on track with the 'fun factor'.

Two to three 'fun' missions isn't a sign of them getting 'back on track with the fun factor', hell, the majority of the other missions were cookie cutter missions/similar to those from the core game.

As for resources, yeah, they had those resources when they were working on GTA4 and look how that turned out. Having more resources than other developers doesn't mean you'll put out a better game.
So we talking marketing or we talking quality?

Marketing wise Red Dead Redemption IS relevant, because it restored a lot of people's worries, it's a beloved game that people associate with R* in general (as opposed to R* San Diego) so it factors in the market power of GTA5.

If we're talking quality, we don't know shit about GTA5, after the improvements i've seen in Ballad of Gay Tony and RDR, i'm pretty confident they'll deliver something very solid.
It helps that i love GTA4's car handling more than any other open world game's.

woundedbear

Neo Member
Getting on the bike in San Andreas is one of my fondest video game memories for some reason. I felt very connected to the game world straight away.

Dabanton

This is of course a sensible thing to say. It makes sense that this is what's supposed to happen. BUT I won't get excited just yet. Anybody can screw up, Rockstar included. They might think that people want GTA to become even more serious, realistic and cinematic. They might think they were on the right track with GTA4 ---- I personally think they weren't.

GTA:IV was never really serious though.

I don't know how that meme has continued to this day but it seems to some people no jet pack = 'serious' game. GTA:IV imo controlled better,played better, the gunplay was actually useful and fun instead of being a frustrating clusterfuck of blind luck and rage. (And the groundwork they layed down in GTA:IV on the guns meant they nailed it in Max Payne 3)

They just brought the game down to ground level. got ride of the OTT scarface fantasies. But the characters and situations were still just as ridiculous

I mean Brucie,Packie heck even Jacob how are those serious characters? Playboy X and Duane,Dimitri and Vlad. and countless others I could name Manny Escuela.

What game were people playing where those were serious characters.

Even Niko was pretty funny albeit dry humoured

And don't get me started on The Ballad Of Gay Tony...

Who ever wrote the DoF code for GTAV deserves the best award in the history of DoF-gaming-code.

Those screenshots are amazing too. I really hope they re-boot the infernus, that was my favorite car in GTA =)

I don't need to respect the city or the work that went into it. I respect developers for their work on story, etc and that's where GTA4 was completely lacking.

The story was ass, the missions were ass, the game was shockingly repetitive, the car handling was somewhat decent once you got used to it, but Niko's controls were shockingly bad...there's also the fact that the game tried too hard to capture a more realistic tone which resulted in them having virtually nothing fun for players to do.

Was the city good? Sure, but even there the game is positively redundant when compared to the significantly better Sleeping Dogs.

Your opinion is noted. Though there are people who really enjoyed the story in GTAIV, myself included.

I also find it hilarious when people complain about too much driving in a game called GRAND THEFT AUTO.

jimi_dini

but all the immersive extra stuff. The Scientology church like tease last month already alluded to that

Oh yeah

visiting scientology church and being able to experience a complete sunday prayer just like the comedy clubs in IV.

Sounds really great...

wait, why am I getting sleepy?

I5K7zm.jpg

Marleyman

Banned
Oh yeah

visiting scientology church and being able to experience a complete sunday prayer just like the comedy clubs in IV.

Sounds really great...

I5K7zm.jpg

You found that stuff boring and I found it to be immersive; who is right? Do we go off of sales? review scores? people who still play GTA IV and its expansions?

Lol @ the idea that Rockstar is "afraid" of the competition. This game will probably outsell Sleeping Dogs in its first week.

Maybe it's coincidence, but the timing of their marketing is pretty suspect and reeks of fear and they have good reason to be fearful...

And since when has sales been a sign of quality? lol.

Your opinion is noted. Though there are people who really enjoyed the story in GTAIV, myself included.

I also find it hilarious when people complain about too much driving in a game called GRAND THEFT AUTO.

People complain about driving too much? Must have missed those complaints, but I do remember lots of complaints about the overly heavy handling of the vehicles and generally having to fight the controls.

It took a while but I got used to it and came to accept it, but I know people who hated it and simply stopped playing. These people loved San Andreas, with them still playing it regularly on 360 via BC.

ironcreed

Banned

I do consider SP to have a good story (unless it drops off a cliff towards the end), that's what I'll be comparing GTS5 to and R* have their work cut out for them trying to match that level of good storytelling.

I thought the story in GTA IV was passable for what it was. Nothing amazing or Oscar worthy, Like IGN was spewing, lol. Just a passable story in an amazing environment that I truly wanted to see through.

While it did not offer much in the way of craziness in terms of things to do on the side, I still enjoyed going to play pool, etc. It helped sell the city life vibe that it was shooting for, but by the same token, it is also what made many hate the game. Could GTA improve on certain things? Sure, but on the whole they are still fantastic games and that is enough for me.

I am hoping R* finds a balance and keeps the realism, but also brings back a bit of the over the top stuff. But even if they do, it still will not please everyone. That is impossible, but I am sure they will do their best. They always do and I am looking forward to it.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh yeah

Sounds really great...

I5K7zm.jpg

Don't worry I'm sure they'll throw in TVs and the internet too! Can't leave all that amazingly fun stuff from 4 out.

Maybe it's coincidence, but the timing of their marketing is pretty suspect and reeks of fear and they have good reason to be fearful...

And since when has sales been a sign of quality? lol.

C.

What did I say to make you think I believe sales are a sign of quality? You know what sales are a sign of? Relevance. And the sales for GTA versus the competition will show that in terms of relevance they are not on Rockstar's radar.

GlamFM

Banned
Releasing screenshots and announcing more screenshots by the end of the week?

Why? People would have been happy with one set of screenshots.

GTA V closer than we think? - I think so.

New screens and maybe a trailer-countdown by the end of the week, GI cover, 3rd trailer September/November - Game comes out.

Seems possible.

What did I say to make you think I believe sales are a sign of quality? You know what sales are a sign of? Relevance. And the sales for GTA versus the competition will show that in terms of relevance they are not on Rockstar's radar.

I think you're in for a very rude awakening. GTS5 might sell well, but it down on previous entries and there's also the fact that it's never faced direct competition before...

I gave the game a chance but it just wasn't for me i guess... That said i still need to check out Ballad of Gay Tony and Lost and Damned, that video was just hilarious ;)

looking forward to V though, the setting alone gets me excited, i'm just a sucker for sunshine and palm trees, naturally i loved SA and Vice City!

abundant

I think you're in for a very rude awakening. GTS5 might sell well, but it down on previous entries and there's also the fact that it's never faced direct competition before...

Do you like ignoring facts or what? Even against competition, GTA IV and RDR are still played more. Fact: They are at #11 and #18, above the "competition" SR3.

abundant

This has nothing to do with my prediction.

GTA5, in terms of sales, will be down on 4 and show that the series is slowly but surely becoming irrelevant.

Yes it does! You claim that GTA is becoming irrelevant and that the competition is going to hurt it, yet I show you facts disproving your claim. How is it becoming irrelevant when GTA IV is still being played more then the competition?

3 different vehicles. Sweet.

Vehicles have always been the core game mechanic in GTA, IMHO. It is Grand Theft AUTO after all. It will be nice to have chase sequences with all three of those vehicle types (and more different vehicles).

derFeef

This has nothing to do with my prediction.

GTA5, in terms of sales, will be down on 4 and show that the series is slowly but surely becoming irrelevant.

While I agree with some of your points, this will not happen.
Same as with Blizzard games. People may be disappointed with D3, but they will still buy the next Blizzard game and it will be a huge hit.

Top Bottom