• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new heavenly sword pics

theBishop

Banned
OK kids, i promised a summary, so here it is.

The core of the story is Heavenly Sword, but its put into the greater message is "PS3 has finally arrived".

A new generation of PS3 games are on the way, with Heavenly Sword at the crest.

On to Heavenly Sword:

* The sword feeds on your life. Your challenge is to stay alive long enough to finish your quest.

* No platforming

* Cinematics take place during gameplay, villains taunt you through Picture-in-Picture

* The sword has 3 forms that can be changed at any time by holding L1 and R1:

- Power Style: Broad sword form, slow, short-range, lots of damage

- Speed Style: Two short swords, rapid attack, short-range

- Ranged Style: Blades of Chaos. Grab foes at a distance, slam them around

You can create combos by switching weapon styles mid-attack.

* As you kill more baddies, your attacks become more devastating

* You can throw most objects and do "aftertouch" via sixaxis

* "incredible" numbers of enemies onscreen at once.

* AI becomes more elaborate as enemies get closer.

* Multiplayer is unconfirmed

* 1080p is unconfirmed

Deepblue

Banned
theBishop said:
OK kids, i promised a summary, so here it is.

The core of the story is Heavenly Sword, but its put into the greater message is "PS3 has finally arrived".

On to Heavenly Sword:

* The sword feeds on your life. Your challenge is to stay alive long enough to finish your quest.

* No platforming

* Cinematics take place during gameplay, villains taunt you through Picture-in-Picture

I don't like this. Hopefully it works out anyway though.

spwolf

theBishop said:

that sounds pretty good actually... i usually dont give crap about "story" in the game...

Deepblue

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
"That's a fact" huh?

The leaves look pretty awesome on the big tree in this shot:

108390-16-2.jpg

...and the trunk of this tree actually looks like it is better textured to me than the one in the preview vid, even when looking at these low-res images and from more of a distance.

----------------------

The textures on this bridge:

108390-7-2.jpg

...look pretty darn good to me in comparison to your screenshot, (again, considering the low-res shots here) and in some ways, this bridge looks superior to the one in your shot. The design is better, with far more details, (look, a manhole cover!) and your shot which you claim to be an example of better textures, displays some pretty horrible texture tiling junk along the vertical wall. (See the four repeated "blotches" along the wall?)

It's pretty harsh that you accuse others of lying, when something you claim as a fact is so up for debate.

...and we haven't even seen high-res versions of these shots yet.

This game looks great to me. It's way up there on my list of PS3 games to be excited about.

Not even close man.

Deepblue said:
I don't like this. Hopefully it works out anyway though.

pretty much the same thoughts. the combat also sounds like button-basher handholding, but i've been thinking that for a while now so take that for what it's worth. don't know how they intend to work in multiplayer..

sounds like something lots of people other than myself will be very into. one bit i'm liking about the time thing is it will probably push for some night/dawn/dust stages if they intend to keep with their storyline.

Draft

No platforming is a good thing. Leave platforming in platforming games. What were the worst parts of God of War? The platforming. Platforming game play is antagonistic to the kind of controls you want in a tight action game.

Has Ninja Theory elaborated on the whole "death clock" thing? Because in the first motion-cap documentary video they showed you could clearly see a timer in the bottom left of the screen that said something like "11 hours xx minutes xx seconds." I hope there isn't an issue of screwing up how much time you have left 10 hours into the game and having to start over. Part of that video also showed the death clock at infinite, so maybe it only counts down in certain situations.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Question:

Do people view games like Devil May Cry or Ninja Giden to be platformers? And I don't believe you can jump in either game can you?

mckmas8808 said:
Question:

Do people view games like Devil May Cry or Ninja Giden to be platformers? And I don't believe you can jump in either game can you?
You can jump in both, but the platforming parts of those games are the pits. The jumping was crucial to their combat systems, though, and there's plenty to be said for NG's wall running.

I'm fine with there being no jumping in Heavenly Sword, as long as it doesn't feel constricting. It really all comes down to how well the mechanics and level design are matched in the final game.

Aren't there any bigger shots yet?

Some of the pics look like submissions for CG artwork competitions, nevermind ingame screenshots, they're amazing, this is in-game folks.

Zen

Banned
Draft said:
No platforming is a good thing. Leave platforming in platforming games. What were the worst parts of God of War? The platforming. Platforming game play is antagonistic to the kind of controls you want in a tight action game.

The only difficult platforming part of God of War was the rotating blades, aside from that the platforming elements are a key part of what makes God of War so good. I mean if Kratos had no real wall climbing, jumping or rope swinging and it was restricted to incredibly simplistic environments like Devil May Cry, it would be a lot less engaging. God of War isn't a Devil May Cry, God of War is a combat platformer and it kicks ass because of it.

Draft

Zen said:
The only difficult platforming part of God of War was the rotating blades, aside from that the platforming elements are a key part of what makes God of War so good. I mean if Kratos ahd no real wall climbing, jumping, rope swinging and it was restricted to incredibly simplistic environments like Devil May Cry, it would be a lot less engaging. God of War isn't a Devil May Cry, God of War is a combat platformer and it kicks ass because of it.
It would be a lot less engaging, because its combat system is shit compared to real action games like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. Platforming in action games is filler.

Deepblue

Banned
Draft said:
It would be a lot less engaging, because its combat system is shit compared to real action games like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. Platforming in action games is filler.
That's exactly right. And from what I've seen, I don't think Heavenly Sword's combat system is going to be enough to carry the game.

Deepblue said:
That's exactly right. And it doesn't look like Heavenly Sword's combat system is going to be enough to carry the game.

What are you basing this on?
Everything I think we have seen on the game along with early hands-on reports seems to be the combat is one thing we dont need to worry about.

mabuza

Banned
Deepblue said:
That's exactly right. And it doesn't look like Heavenly Sword's combat system is going to be enough to carry the game.
i'm surprised you survived the mass cullings that happened in this thread. well done

Deepblue said:
Based on what, exactly? I mean, I'm definitely not sold on it yet, but I'd like to know where you got that impression.

Deepblue

Banned
Based on descriptions of the combat system. Also, the videos. I still have hope however. :) The game looks gorgeous, and I want the game play to match it.

Zen

Banned
'Real' Action games... ok........

That's like saying Ratchet and Clank has shit guns compared to 'real' third person shooters. When in reality none of this is a one to one comparison. Would Ratchet and Clank better better if it had no platforming and they just focused on shooting? Oh yeah they tried that and it sucked.

God of War isn't suppose to soley be focused on combat, and frankly the people who enjoy God of War probably wouldn't want it ot be like that either. God of War is suppose to be an action platformer with amazing set peices and animations and brutality, it's not about chaining combo's as much as it's the overall experience of the game. You like games that are pretty much soley focused on combat, goody for you, personally I like God of War, a game with engaging atmosphere plot, characters, with an awesome balance of environment exploration and brutal combat. I personally wouldn't want the game to be devolved (that's right devolved) into something of the focus of Devil May Cry because God of War is unique as a blend of Action Combat and Platforming that has been executed perfectly.

The environments and the platforming abilities of Kratos aren't filler, and at the end of the day all that matters is how well the mechanics of any game are executed, not how many button combinations are in teh combo system, that's retarded. We'll see if Heavenly Sword, between the balance it's aiming to strike and how well implimented its features are, ends up a good game or not, but just because it doesn't appeal to your tastes as far as the combat depth goes (funny how you haven't played it yet you know how deep or engaging the combat system will be) doesn't mean it will be bad.

On to Heavenly Sword:

* no jump button.
I've been anticipating this game for a long time and I will most probably be getting it day one but those two things have really bugged the shit out of me since I first learned of them months ago.

Game clocks that count down in a 3d game ****ING SUCK. Always have, always will. All they do is piss people off without adding ANYTHING to the game experience because by it's very nature it's taking away from it. Forcing people to get through a game by a certain time or else the game ends is a dumb-ass cop out to create a false sense of urgency.
I really hope that the whole death clock thing is optional or else the quality of the game will drop drastically.

And the lack of a jump button also make no sense. Don't get me wrong, in certain scenarios I can live with it (Onimusha series) but for something like HS where there are all these QTEs which are so acrobatic in nature to NOT have a vertical dimension under your direct control is just bizarre and as far as I can tell will result in the game feeling very disjointed.

Draft

Zen said:
'Real' Action games... ok........

That's like saying Ratchet and Clank has shit guns compared to 'real' third person shooters. When in reality none of this is a one to one comparison. Would Ratchet and Clank better better if it had no platforming and they just focused on shooting? Oh yeah they tried that and it sucked.

God of War isn't suppose to soley be focused on combat, and frankly the people who enjoy God of War probably wouldn't want it ot be like that either. God of War is suppose to be an action platformer with amazing set peices and animations and brutality, it's not about chaining combo's as much as it's the overall experience of the game. You like games that are pretty much soley focused on combat, goody for you, personally I like God of War, a game with engaging atmosphere plot, characters, with an awesome balance of environment exploration and brutal combat. I personally wouldn't want the game to be devolved (that's right devolved) into something of the focus of Devil May Cry because God of War is unique as a blend of Action Combat and Platforming that has been executed perfectly.

The environments and the platforming abilities of Kratos aren't filler, and at the end of the day all that matters is how well the mechanics of any game are executed, not how many button combinations are in teh combo system, that's retarded. We'll see if Heavenly Sword, between the balance it's aiming to strike and how well implimented its features are, ends up a good game or not, but just because it doesn't appeal to your tastes as far as the combat depth goes (funny how you haven't played it yet you know how deep or engaging the combat system will be) doesn't mean it will be bad.
Maybe the Ratchet and Clank guys just suck at making shooters? But going with that little analogy, platforming is also the worst aspect of many excellent first person shooters.

The worst parts of GOW are the platforming. I don't know why you'd argue otherwise. The cliff climbing, the beam balancing, the spinning blades, the hand over hand kick battles (lol). It's all terrible. Black marks on an otherwise good game.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Deepblue said:
Based on descriptions of the combat system. Also, the videos. I still have hope however. :) The game looks gorgeous, and I want the game play to match it.

Based on the videos the combat system looks better than anything I have seen so far. The animations are amazing and it looks well integrated...

Time will tell.

mabuza

Banned
Draft said:
Maybe the Ratchet and Clank guys just suck at making shooters? But going with that little analogy, platforming is also the worst aspect of many excellent first person shooters.

The worst parts of GOW are the platforming. I don't know why you'd argue otherwise. The cliff climbing, the beam balancing, the spinning blades, the hand over hand kick battles (lol). It's all terrible. Black marks on an otherwise good game.
yep i agree, i loved god of war but the platforming almost made me quit halfway through, i detest platforming games with a passion, and i'm actually happy heavenly sword wont be having none

Draft

Thunderbear said:
Based on the videos the combat system looks better than anything I have seen so far. The animations are amazing and it looks well integrated...

Time will tell.
I have my own doubts about the combat system, and they stem from those same animations. They are very beautiful. And very long. Very, very long. My concern is that you'll spend a lot of time watching complex attack animations generated from simple key presses, or that God of War's QTE kills are gonna be turned up several notches.

However, it's way too early to say shit like that definitively.

Draft

kaching said:
Platforming I want big, loose jumps, analog running with slow movement that can be quickly ramped up for bursts of speed. In an action game I want tight, precise jumps and to be moving at 100 mph at all times.

Basically, I want different controls depending on whether the environment or the monsters are going to kill me.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So basically you like a particular kind of platforming game which doesn't happen to be complimentary to the particular kind of action game you like. Not every platformer is designed the way you describe.

So your original comment that painted it more as a universal truth that they can't mix was just you passing off personal opinion as such. We're clear now, thanks.

SPEA

HomerSimpson-Man said:
A life limit and still no jumping....not sure I like the sound of that at all.
i feel the same way. I was really pumped for this game but i really don't like the way that sounds.

karasu

I still don't see why a jump button is a necessity, but whatever. If the gameplay supports that kind of omission, then I'm all for it.

Draft

kaching said:
So basically you like a particular kind of platforming game which doesn't happen to be complimentary to the particular kind of action game you like. Not every platformer is designed the way you describe.

So your original comment that painted it more as a universal truth that they can't mix was just you passing off personal opinion as such. We're clear now, thanks.
Just so we're super clear, I like great action games, not good action games held down by shitty platforming sequences. Thanks.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Draft said:
Just so we're super clear, I like great action games, not good action games held down by shitty platforming sequences. Thanks.
So does that mean that Itagaki couldn't design a great action game with excellent platforming sequences?

Why are people acting like the no jump button feature is new? We've known that since E3 last year. Unless people thought that them complaining about it was going to make NT rethink their entire game design.

Zen

Banned
Draft said:

Hey everybody Insomniac sucks at shooters.

Alternatively, see any Ratchet and Clank game that isn't Deadlocked.

Being the 'worst part' (in your opinion) doesn't mean that a feature of aspect of the design isn't complimentry to the overall game. So just because the jumping was basic or the 'worst' aspect in Halo (yet again this ties into your basic = bad personal opinion) it was detremental to the game and should be taken out?

While it was by no means bad, and in fact is probably considered quite good in conjunction with the rest of the game, it was probably the weakest part of God of War I/II in most people's eyes. But the platforming focus that allowed for a real sense of exploration was a key part of the game design and also a key part of what people like about the ****ing thing. In the end nobody gives a shit how in depth an aspect is as long as it's well integrated and complements the overall game experience (which by the way it does in God of War). I mean would includng a 3 button combo to get up a ledge make you happy? Jebus.

Maybe you missed it but you can do more then just kick when you're on a rope. Yes, the rotating blades were bad... and they made up 2 percent of the game. Beam Balancing was good because of the way it allowed the levels to be structured, having Kratos balancing across a beam hundreds of feet in the air, and frankly it's nice to have things to break up the pacing and let the gamer do some different things unlike a pure Devil May Cry which had a very poor sort of jumping platforming aspect to it (but even THAT was better then not having anything at all in taht game, every game is different).

xaosslug

SolidSnakex said:
Why are people acting like the no jump button feature is new? We've known that since E3 last year. Unless people thought that them complaining about it was going to make NT rethink their entire game design.

it's called exploiting HS' weak point for massive
trolling/
damage, peeps do it with the main character's hair too. It's hilarious.

Draft

Zen said:
Hey everybody Insomniac sucks at shooters.

Alternatively, see any Ratchet and Clank game that isn't Deadlocked.

Being the 'worst part' (in your opinion) doesn't mean that a feature of aspect of the design isn't complimentry to the overall game. So just because the jumping was basic or the 'worst' aspect in Halo (yet again this ties into your basic = bad personal opinion) it was detremental to the game and should be taken out?

While it was by no means bad, and in fact is probably considered quite good in conjunction with the rest of the game, it was probably the weakest part of God of War I/II in most people's eyes. But the platforming focus that allowed for a real sense of exploration was a key part of the game design and also a key part of what people like about the ****ing thing. In the end nobody gives a shit how in depth an aspect is as long as it's well integrated and complements the overall game experience (which by the way it does in God of War). I mean would includng a 3 button combo to get up a ledge make you happy? Jebus.

Maybe you missed it but you can do more then just kick when you're on a rope. Yes, the rotating blades were bad... and they made up 2 percent of the game. Beam Balancing was good because of the way it allowed the levels to be structured, having Kratos balancing across a beam hundreds of feet in the air, and frankly it's nice to have things to break up the pacing and let the gamer do some different things unlike a pure Devil May Cry which had a very poor sort of jumping platforming aspect to it (but even THAT was better then not having anything at all in taht game, every game is different).
I'm not the one who said the pure shooting Ratchet and Clank sucked.

Pimpwerx

We've known all this info for a while. You don't need a jump button for QTEs. Each motion is different and displayed on screen. The combat system also seems devoid of any jump attacks. When she launches into the air, it seems to be part of grappling combos or a move setup by an uppercut type motion. PEACE.

Zen

Banned
Draft said:
I'm not the one who said the pure shooting Ratchet and Clank sucked.

You're right, and if you'd bothered to listen that might explain why with every game it's up to how well the parts come together to form the whole, how deep any one aspect is doesn't matter as much as much as how well executed a component is in tandem with all the other aspects of the game, and if something is designed as a central component (like platforming in Ratchet and Clank) moving away from that tends not to do the product any favors. God of War has a focus on platforming that doesn't fall into your tastes, big deal. It's a part of what helps facilitate the exploration and set peices in God of War, and as simple as they are, they a key part of what allows God of War to be what people love.

KTallguy

Banned
Draft said:
Platforming in action games is filler.

QFT!! Except if it's done extremely well. Ninja Gaiden has some pretty fun (but also pretty frustrating) platforming sequences. I can't really think of any other combat centric games with good platforming though. Gun games with platforming are even worse... ugh.

Draft said:
I have my own doubts about the combat system, and they stem from those same animations. They are very beautiful. And very long. Very, very long. My concern is that you'll spend a lot of time watching complex attack animations generated from simple key presses, or that God of War's QTE kills are gonna be turned up several notches.

However, it's way too early to say shit like that definitively.

Yes, the animations do look very long, but you can switch to short blades and do damage up close, so hopefully we'll see some really fast paced combat and combo possibilities. I'll miss the omission of a jump button unless the game is VERY well designed to do without one. Is it confirmed that there's no jump button, or is this just speculation?

AAK

KTallguy said:
QFT!! Except if it's done extremely well. Ninja Gaiden has some pretty fun (but also pretty frustrating) platforming sequences. I can't really think of any other combat centric games with good platforming though. Gun games with platforming are even worse... ugh.

The train-bomb pathmaker stage in Jak 3 was the greatest use of gunning and platforming I've ever seen. That's an example of platforming in an action game which make it breath-taking.

In fact, almost all of Jak 2 and 3 were action-platformer matches made in heaven. I loved the way the surfboard was integrated into so many of the missions. But anyways, the point is, is that platforming IS NOT just a filler in action games at times.

Top Bottom