• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new heavenly sword pics

Sandman7 said:
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that we were going to see new media every week from Gamepro as part of their Heavenly Sword week. Is that true?

Yes, HS is Gamepros cover story in their next issue so they're having updates about the game for the rest of the week.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Zen said:
It's not that I necessarily disagree with your end comment, but jebus man you could have been a bit more forthcoming instead of waiting until you were caught. (It will probably 'look like' that as much as any RT graphics can closely emulate that of CGI) :lol:

That's not to say that I don't think that the real up to date Heavenly Sword doesn't look great, but these screens have a lot of flaws and can be a bit of a roller coaster ride.

They definitely 'seem' have some slight polygon issues (But you can argue that's because they aren't 'covering up' with normal mapping very surface known to man like other games do), you can see it in everything that isn't a part of the 'waterfall background' as it were, from the rocks to the trees; tons of effects are missing, etc.

There's no way these screens are from a recent build. Unless it was the mother of all downgrades in the history of this next gen era thus far.

In all it's PS1 Era Fog and 2D Bitmap Glory.

108390-11-2.jpg

When we've already seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XufHe6bhWFk

Looking forward to this game. :D

Zen we've seen the game in motion before man. Everything in that previs we've seen in other 'real-time' videos. We've seen that same beautiful lighting before. We've seen that same nice waterfall before. We've seen those same quality textures before.

And all of those videos I'm talking about were made/released last year. Hopefully Nostormo could come in here and discuss that video with us.

Chrono

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Yes, HS is Gamepros cover story in their next issue so they're having updates about the game for the rest of the week.

Any idea when subscribers will start getting that issue?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dunpeal said:
I find it rather amuzing that there's some unspoken rule where you can't criticize a game's graphics
I think the unspoken rule is if you're going to criticize, do it with some thought and sincerity, not just to spam the thread with the first nitpicking thing you see because you feel like you're obliged to respond on behalf of your corporate masters.

I mean, this didn't really have to be a 9 page thread about pics this size. You'd think GAF might be able to band together against a common enemy like miniaturized pics for HD games, but noooooo.

Chrono said:
Any idea when subscribers will start getting that issue?

They're already getting them. Mostly new info except for how they're going to handle the huge enemy battles

Group Ai uses the cell processor by having large groups in the distance function on one SPU. When they get closer the hundreds will split into various other groups to combat Noriko and will then function on to seperate SPUs. This will enable a great amount of interaction between enemies as a whole.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
They're already getting them. From the overview i've read its mostly the same info we've seen except for the way they're handeling the large enemies groups

holy shit ssx, you are alive? Just noticed u posting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
antiloop said:
Love the detail. Freckles and details on the lips, and is there sweat above her left eye brow?
Yeah, I think their skin shader, both in-game and cutscenes is second to none. Combined with facial animation, and I can safely say I've seen worse looking pre-rendered human faces lately than what they have running realtime. Sure, stylization is also big part of it, but that just shows they know how to avoid the creepy look.

Steroyd

TTP said:
holy shit ssx, you are alive? Just noticed u posting.

offtopic:

Can someone PLEASE tell me what's up with everyone acting like SolidSnakeX has come back from the dead, there's been responses like this for a week straight.

mckmas8808

antiloop said:
resized:

hHa4T7.jpg

Love the detail. Freckles and details on the lips, and is there sweat above her left eye brow?

Can you lighten up that pic? It looks too dark.

Ploid 3.0

SSX took a few monts off of posting without notice. Has the most posts on gaf, a good average on posts per day. Those few months away was a shocker, rumors of SSX death and such.

mckmas8808

Marconelly said:
Yeah, I think their skin shader, both in-game and cutscenes is second to none. Combined with facial animation, and I can safely say I've seen worse looking pre-rendered human faces lately than what they have running realtime. Sure, stylization is also big part of it, but that just shows they know how to avoid the creepy look.

Nostormo said that they have some programming logic that can simulate SSS. I hate using the term 'fake' SSS, but that's why the skin looks so good.

karasu

Steroyd said:
offtopic:

Can someone PLEASE tell me what's up with everyone acting like SolidSnakeX has come back from the dead, there's been responses like this for a week straight.

Because SSX has come back from the dead.

Steroyd

Ploid 3.0 said:
SSX took a few monts off of posting without notice. Has the most posts on gaf, a good average on posts per day. Those few months away was a shocker, rumors of SSX death and such.

/checks post count

:O
Holy shit he took months off and his ppd is at 22.

Holy shit dude. :O

Wow now I sound like everyone else.

Bit-Bit

*Bows down to PS3*

"All at once, the multi-consoles made sense. The power of PS TRIPLE surge through my eyeballs. No mountains too high. No explosions too big. Face me and you shall surely perish."

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Remedy said:
after rendering her face, was the ps3 short on polygons for the rest of the game?

ooohhhh boy.... you're just asking for it.

anyway, the face is covered by texture, the polygon count doesn't really matter as much. the key is a good artist. And for god's sake, look at the draw distance! THAT was polygons.

tha_con

Banned
Man you guy's suck, I'm at work and you keep talking up these photo's and I can't friggin see em!!!! Stupid blocks...gah....7 hours is such a long time to wait!

Remedy said:
after rendering her face, was the ps3 short on polygons for the rest of the game?

Yes because these aren't some of the most impressive (if not probably the most impressive) next-gen backrounds seen yet:

108390-9-2.jpg

108390-20-2.jpg

108390-15-2.jpg

Fix your eyes, you people don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Prax

I think this game is very technically impressive from what I can gather about polygons, lighting, texture, etc... Artistically though, it's not my cup of tea. I'm not sure why. It could be that it makes me think of an uneasy mix between a photoshopped image (honestly, I don't know how to explain this except that the things "assembled" in the image don't look like they are cohesive as a whole to me) and generic shiny 3d stuff (Neverwinternights 2-ery?--not saying it's at the level of Neverwinter Nights 2, but that's what the style reminds me of).

Maybe it's reaching too much into the uncanny valley for me. For instance, I can't get over how much I dislike Nariko's face. The fakeness of her uneven-skin-toned-but-smooth-and-shiny face (and maybe the positioning of her eyes in the close-up shot) are bothering me. Maybe I just hate the character in general. XD I like the artwork of her a lot more than her kind-of-awkward 3D model. I demand better female lead character designs! I will be appeased if she can equip cool armour in the game. I love girls in armour.

I don't like the stills, but it looks great in motion (would be even better if it was 60 FPS.. that would balance out the shiny-hate that I have).
I haven't followed the game much, so I have no idea what the story could be like, etc. I think I get more biased the more I like the story/background/characters of a game, so if I liked the those, maybe I'd magically like the images more. Since that's not the case though, I guess I'm unimpressed.

Maybe if my cousin buys it, I'll get to experience it! >.> I'm always interested in epic-looking games that feature female leads (but my cousin isn't.. wonder if he'll buy it or even rent it..).

Remedy

Banned
bobbytkc said:
ooohhhh boy.... you're just asking for it.

anyway, the face is covered by texture, the polygon count doesn't really matter as much. the key is a good artist. And for god's sake, look at the draw distance! THAT was polygons.

i never said it looked bad, quite like the look. I just wished we could have a game, that had that level of integrity over the whole games visuals.

antiloop

Remedy said:
i never said it looked bad, quite like the look. I just wished we could have a game, that had that level of integrity over the whole games visuals.

5 year extra development time confirmed. Every game so far has textures and shaders that aren't up to par.

Prax said:
I think this game is very technically impressive from what I can gather about polygons, lighting, texture, etc... Artistically though, it's not my cup of tea. I'm not sure why. It could be that it makes me think of an uneasy mix between a photoshopped image (honestly, I don't know how to explain this except that the things "assembled" in the image don't look like they are cohesive as a whole to me) and generic shiny 3d stuff (Neverwinternights 2-ery?--not saying it's at the level of Neverwinter Nights 2, but that's what the style reminds me of).

I think the game looks, unnatural. Can't put my finger on it.

antiloop

Level 8 Boss said:
I think the game looks, unnatural. Can't put my finger on it.

I do too in some screens. But then I see one of the HQ E3 gameplay videos and I see nothing wrong again. :)

something about the lightning in screens?!

antiloop said:
I do too in some screens. But then I see one of the HQ E3 gameplay videos and I see nothing wrong again. :)

something about the lightning in screens?!

Maybe it's something to do with the lighting not sure. Nariko and her surroundings seem to clash, like a conflicting art directions. The character and backgrounds don't appear as seemless.

Need to check the vids and see what the animation is like.

Prax

Cdammen said:
Meh... screens... We need movies, no, we demand movies! This game has animation to die for :)

I agree. I saw the Colosseum-ish battle video and was enjoying the animation. The only thing that looked awkward to me was how slowly she ran around and made jumps, like she looked really heavy. Her weight seems to be off or something, since she can spin on a dime (kind of floaty look), but she runs pretty slowly. Maybe they need to work more on the animations so the weight of things looks more natural (seeing those barrels and chairs sliding and flying round didn't look convincing either, but I'm sure they'll work on that? Was that a really old video?).

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I thought the whole "next-gen should only be judged in motion and not from screenshots" doctrine was still in effect. Why do people still forget that? This game is pure sex in motion.

Top Bottom