• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hot Shots Golf 5 Info and Screens

nofi

kpop100 said:
obviously I'm not going to go back and delete that mammoth install to double check, but I saw no indication of a choice when I booted the game. I have to say though, it so seamless and load free, I'd have probably installed it even if I had been given the choice. And I am still running my lowly 20GB HDD btw.

Game looks great, frame rate means nothing in a golf game.

Any chance of a list of the menu options - I'm super excited to see what the game offers in terms of single player modes, offline multiplayer etc?

Cheers.

Duke Togo

Somebody hit up that multiplayer action yo! I will play this game even if I can't understand a damn word, as long as the multiplayer is oiled up nicely. :D

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
Whilst having stuff on a drive is fine, having to install things MANDATORY is worrying. What is the problem there ? I though seek times on the BR drive were more than good enough , so i wonder if it's something to help with the online or something weird like that?
I can't speak for a golf game, but if you were say, playing some kind of shooting/action with persistent destructable environments, then mandatory installation starts to make a lot of sense.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'm sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous. Where the hell were you when games only had 240 vertical pixels, and ran in 8 colours at between 5 and 10 fps if you were lucky?

This whole graphics whore thing is a horrible state of mind, dude.

well, standards do change with time of course - it would be made to be expected to live with 8 bit standards, but yeah - i agree when you look back on some games and see the frame rate you realise that 'back in the day' people didn't care.

As mentioned though - 720p and 30fps... in a golf game... who cares? 60fps would have been nice, but it's not a game breaker .... at least not in my opinion anyways.

I can't speak for a golf game, but if you were say, playing some kind of shooting/action with persistent destructable environments, then mandatory installation starts to make a lot of sense.

perhaps the RPG lite elements of Mingol have been fleshed out. Actually ... did mingol JP require a HDD install? i seem to think it did ... perhaps not? Ah, it DID need HDD install.

Weird - code reuse or something?

nofi

DCharlie said:
well, standards do change with time of course - it would be made to be expected to live with 8 bit standards, but yeah - i agree when you look back on some games and see the frame rate you realise that 'back in the day' people didn't care.

I didn't mean to say we should be happy with 8-bit standards, what I meant was that when I used to play Knightlore and there were 3 bad guys on screen the framerate dropped like crazy. Did I care? Not a jot - but then this was before hive minds...

DCharlie said:
As mentioned though - 720p and 30fps... in a golf game... who cares? 60fps would have been nice, but it's not a game breaker .... at least not in my opinion anyways.

As long as it's constant, I can't stand a wonky frame-rate. ;)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
As long as it's constant, I can't stand a wonky frame-rate. ;)

yeah, steady is good - non-steady gives me a bit of a headache! :)

I'm more excited for the online aspect. Mingol PS2 was insanely addictive.

I didn't mean to say we should be happy with 8-bit standards, what I meant was that when I used to play Knightlore and there were 3 bad guys on screen the framerate dropped like crazy.

now that is spooky - i thought about the same game...
the interesting thing was rooms with enemies and port cullisis...

because the sound would have a certain rhythm to it along with your walking noise ... go into a room with no enemies and a port cullis and you'd hear "wii woo wii woo (walking) tatatatatatatata (port cullis raising). wii woo wii woo *clunk*" , lots of enemies and it was "wiii.... wooo .... wiii ... wooo ... ta... ta.... ta.... ta.."

anyways...

Really looking forward to this-- Play-Asia should be shipping it out soon, just in time for me to finish Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Blue Dragon. Played the demo with a few friends last night, was a good time, especially since some of us had spent hours playing the PSP multiplayer years earlier. Looks great too.

DC-- thought you quit gaf? :lol

nofi

DCharlie said:
"wii woo wii woo (walking) tatatatatatatata (port cullis raising). wii woo wii woo *clunk*" , lots of enemies and it was "wiii.... wooo .... wiii ... wooo ... ta... ta.... ta.... ta.."

If only you didn't have a tag already... :D

Perfect description, I can hear it in my head.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Sorry for not reading through this thread, I just want to know real quick before I make an impulse purchase...

How import friendly is the title? (I'm familiar with the series).... also are there any online vs modes? Thanks in advance.

nofi

Jonnyram said:
You know, tags break.

521l1t0.gif

I giggled.

MarkMan said:
Sorry for not reading through this thread, I just want to know real quick before I make an impulse purchase...

How import friendly is the title? (I'm familiar with the series).... also are there any online vs modes? Thanks in advance.

It's all in Japanese, we're told, but don't let that put you off.

MarkMan said:
How import friendly is the title?
This just occurred to me, but I already have it ordered, so it doesn't really matter at this point. I'm just thinking about how ****ed I will be when I can't install it to the HD to play online because I can't negotiate my way through moon language menus.

nofi

chinmonster said:
This just occurred to me, but I already have it ordered, so it doesn't really matter at this point. I'm just thinking about how ****ed I will be when I can't install it to the HD to play online because I can't negotiate my way through moon language menus.

As soon as I get it I'll translate all the important bits. It's on express order, but I still probably won't get it until late next week.

Brofist

chinmonster said:

If you need any help just PM me when you get your copy

btw just dropped a 200+ yard Eagle, the Mingol skills always come back quickly ;)

Snowball

Banned
3 questions:

1. Famitsu gave this game a 36 (9-9-9-9)
Could you confirm this news?

2. Why 4 gigs of installation? In order to save loading times?

3. I live in Europe. Where could I buy this game online for a good price (I remind you that playasia doens't send PS3/PSP games to Europe)

Thanks.

nofi

Snowball said:
questions

1 - see the "this week's Japanese news thread"

2 - i presume so.

3 - i got it for about £30 including 'express' shipping from yesasia.com (global site, not the US one)

warthog

nofilter said:
3-click. 2-click is for babies! ;)

3-click? uh-oh, I've never had to 3-click. I suppose it's an option, how do I turn it on? I only ever played Minna No Golf vor PSP and obviously never changed any of the settings since I don't understand Japanese.
When the English version of Hot Shots Golf is coming out I'm also gonna buy that 1, I feel like I'm missing out on stuff...

nofi

warthog said:
3-click? uh-oh, I've never had to 3-click. I suppose it's an option, how do I turn it on? I only ever played Minna No Golf vor PSP and obviously never changed any of the settings since I don't understand Japanese.
When the English version of Hot Shots Golf is coming out I'm also gonna buy that 1, I feel like I'm missing out on stuff...

I can't remember the menus on the PSP version (sold my machine a while back) but I think 3-click is the default, and 2-click is labelled as an easy mode on the (I think) character select screen, the one where you pick the clubs etc before a match.

It's circle to start the bar, circle to set strength and then circle to sit direction. Without the last click it always hits bang on perfect shot, which is fine to start with but it's then impossible to bend the ball around trees etc.

Dunno if you can do the left-right slices/hooks with the 2-click method, though.

MadFuzzy

kpop100 said:
- I started out with 3 different golfers, the ones from the demo and another old looking guy. Could be because I still had the demo on my system?

You unlock the old guy (Suzuke) by having the demo on your HDD when you first boot-up the game. He's unlockable via other means if you don't still have the demo though (apparently).

tyler

jiggle said:
wow...that's like 39 bucks in the US D: good price

impressions please ><
esp. the character customization part

There's no character customisation in this version. That was just for PSP.

Thanks for the impressions and information kpop.

warthog

nofilter said:
I can't remember the menus on the PSP version (sold my machine a while back) but I think 3-click is the default, and 2-click is labelled as an easy mode on the (I think) character select screen, the one where you pick the clubs etc before a match.

It's circle to start the bar, circle to set strength and then circle to sit direction. Without the last click it always hits bang on perfect shot, which is fine to start with but it's then impossible to bend the ball around trees etc.

Dunno if you can do the left-right slices/hooks with the 2-click method, though.

Hahaha, stupid me. I do use the 3-click method then, I didn't count the first click to start the bar :D
Everything is ok then.

DrXym

The Japanese really get excited over some bizarre titles. It might be a cute game but at the end of the day its golf FFS.

jiggle

Thansk for the intro ^^

tyler said:
There's no character customisation in this version. That was just for PSP.

That's disappointing to hear. Probably gonna have some made available through PSN (free and paid?). If Boku no Natsu Yasumi can get some, Minna better also.

tyler

The thing is, for people who love golf these are the best games, as discussed earlier they're far better than Tiger at getting the feel of golf right. And even if you don't like golf it does translate brilliantly to fun gaming. Especially multi-player.

tyler

My above post was for DrXym.

jiggle said:
That's disappointing to hear. Probably gonna have some made available through PSN (free and paid?). If Boku no Natsu Yasumi can get some, Minna better also.

I doubt you'll see character customisation through DLC but you never know. I expect a course or two and possibly some more of their own characters.

jiggle

tyler said:
My above post was for DrXym.

I doubt you'll see character customisation through DLC but you never know. I expect a course or two and possibly some more of their own characters.

Sorry, meant alternate costumes. >,.<

PSP version is my only experience with this series (so far), did the other iterations not have customization?

tyler

Nope. That was new for PSP. Yeah we may get costumes as DLC. Hopefully there are some unlockable through normal play. If it's the same as the demo each character has 2 to begin with.

tyler

People who have the game early are required to translate the menus and postpics. Did you not read the rules?

el Diablo

Banned
tyler said:
Nope. That was new for PSP. Yeah we may get costumes as DLC. Hopefully there are some unlockable through normal play. If it's the same as the demo each character has 2 to begin with.

Gah that sucks, really liked this in the PSP version. Not so much for the costumes but because of the special clubs and the fact that it made grinding through all the tournaments easier (since you got a real reward everytime heh).

One question, is there any way to improve your golfer's stats? Thought the special clubs were money in the PSP game since it made the starting golfers usable on the harder courses and against tougher opponents. If there's no way to improve them they become irrelevant the further you get.

nofilter said:
Are you sure you can't unlock costumes?
When you chose your player there is 2 choices of costumes and 3 empty spaces, so I guess as you progressive through the game you're able to unlock new costumes.
I just haven't gotten there yet...a new video will be up soon on gamersyde

nofi

DJmizuhara said:
When you chose your player there is 2 choices of costumes and 3 empty spaces, so I guess as you progressive through the game you're able to unlock new costumes.

No that's cool - just wanted confirmation. Cheers!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
MadFuzzy said:
You unlock the old guy (Suzuke) by having the demo on your HDD when you first boot-up the game. He's unlockable via other means if you don't still have the demo though (apparently).
I assume you can then delete the demo, as soon as he's been unlocked - can anyone confirm? Otherwise, this game really wants to chew through your hdd space any which way it can!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Play-Asia shipped out my order this morning. If the stars align, hopefully some or all of us will be able to play next week. I'm not too worried about the language barrier since it's a golf game and I'll just bug kpop or nofi if I have any problems (I'm sure the menu translation will be useful). I'm more worried about my lack of skill than anything since I missed out on HSG4 altogether while PES/WE9 was consuming all my gaming time.

el Diablo

Banned
DJmizuhara said:

C'mon man WTF if you get to gloat it on us at least hurry up and show us more :lol.

Top Bottom