• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hot Shots Golf 5 Info and Screens

tyler

AstroLad said:
I wish we had some idea of the US release date so I could further justify importing. Haven't imported since the DC but HSG is my second favorite sports series and the text is generally unimportant.

Import. If past games in the series are anything to go by then getting to the game this fall in the west is very optimistic.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

nofi

AstroLad said:
Yeah, I think I will. Is Play-Asia the best way to go? They seem to have two different sales:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-77-1-49-en-15-hot+shots-70-1zgf.html
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-15-hot+shots-70-21dl.html

Are they identical such that I should go with the $54 "Asia" version?

The 'Asia' version is likely to have an English translation booklet in the box. Possibly. I've never had a problem with the language in the Mingol games though.

tyler

I went with NCSX, even though it's around $30 more. 'Asia' version is more likely to be English as nofilter says, so aslong as that's the same release date, go for it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
nofilter said:
The 'Asia' version is likely to have an English translation booklet in the box. Possibly. I've never had a problem with the language in the Mingol games though.

Will it have English menus in the game? I may import if it does.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
tyler said:
I went with NCSX, even though it's around $30 more. 'Asia' version is more likely to be English as nofilter says, so aslong as that's the same release date, go for it.

It's weird, the Asia version appears to be already released (today)--"ships in 1-5" vs. the JP which is still in pre-order mode.

Crow-kun

Banned
egocrata said:
Uncanny valley on the characters, anyone? It really looks amazing, but boy some of the players creep me out.

I dunno, after Tiger Woods Wii, I am having trouble thinking I'd have fun playing a golf game without waggle. Button presses, even if they are more precise, won't have the same solid feeling, I guess.

On a sidenote, is this game "related" to Hot Shots Golf Wii?
God I wish I could ban you.

tyler

It's possible it's out in Hong Kong today, someone was saying they get them a couple of days early.

I can see it having English and then me re-ordering once my JPN copy arrives...

DenogginizerOS

tyler said:
There's no guarantee but it's more likely. Just wait until release if it's a deciding factor for you.

Ok. If someone gets a copy, let me know. My wife wants to play this and she will need the English menus.

nofi

DenogginizerOS said:
Ok. If someone gets a copy, let me know. My wife wants to play this and she will need the English menus.

My wife's the same. As soon as she sees a single Japanese character she switches off. Mingol's dead easy though mate, honestly.

I'll do a menu translation as soon as I get the game, promise.

DenogginizerOS

nofilter said:
My wife's the same. As soon as she sees a single Japanese character she switches off. Mingol's dead easy though mate, honestly.

I'll do a menu translation as soon as I get the game, promise.

Cheers!

The next question is whether or not the online will work with those of us here in the US. I have plenty to play right now, but I love the Hot Shots golf games. This is mega-tempting.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just ordered the Asia version. Had a coupon that was going to run out anyway, so bonus. $53 shipped; I'm guessing I'll get it early next week but maybe I'll luck out and have it for the weekend. I'm going to bug you for that menu translation, though, nofilter. ;P

nofi

DenogginizerOS said:
Cheers!

The next question is whether or not the online will work with those of us here in the US. I have plenty to play right now, but I love the Hot Shots golf games. This is mega-tempting.

I'm in the UK, and as far as I can see there are 3 options:

1. You'll only be able to play against people with the same region GAME - ie, everyone that gets the JP import will be able to play with everyone else with the JP import.

or:

2. You'll only be able to play against people with the same region PS3 - ie, you will be able to play with other US PS3s owners that import the game, and eventually, US owners with the US version of the game.

or:

3. Everyone can play with everyone in a huge global golf-lovefest.

I like option 3, but who knows?

tyler

I just checked my NCSX order and it says I have no outstanding orders. The optimist in me says it's shipped but I think it's more likely something is up as I ordered on the old site. I've e-mailed them anyway. Worst case I order the game at half-price elsewhere and get it a day or so later...

nofi

tyler said:
I just checked my NCSX order and it says I have no outstanding orders. The optimist in me says it's shipped but I think it's more likely something is up as I ordered on the old site. I've e-mailed them anyway. Worst case I order the game at half-price elsewhere and get it a day or so later...

Don't worry, YesAsia have just told me they're 'sourcing from supplier' which probably means they've run out of pre-order copies, and are now looking for another copy for me. Probably be about a month... ;)

tanod

when is my burrito
If this didn't have online play, it would be JUST another HS game. I'm definitely getting this one, at least for the online play.

I like the new swing system too. The mechanic feels better and seems more rewarding adn skill based to me while it still maintains the arcady-ness of the 2 click power-accuracy mechanic. What is even better is that you can switch between the two.

nofi

tanod said:
If this didn't have online play, it would be JUST another HS game. I'm definitely getting this one, at least for the online play.

I like the new swing system too. The mechanic feels better and seems more rewarding adn skill based to me while it still maintains the arcady-ness of the 2 click power-accuracy mechanic. What is even better is that you can switch between the two.

3-click. 2-click is for babies! ;)

Brofist

I doubt it will have English menus, but online play is a toss up.

I'm going to try to pick this up a day early tomorrow at my usual shop, I'll post here once I get it.

tyler

nofilter said:

Indeed. I hope he meant the 3 click power bar and not 2 click. That one used to confuse me on Mario Golf though, where you had to alternate A+B for a 3 click. I'd forget and get called a cheat :(

Lightning

Banned
WOW.

Looks amazing. Normally I only buy Tiger Woods Golf but it looks like I will be giving both games a go this year. I will import the US version though to avoid the typical long EU wait.

Sh0k

I'm going to wait for more information in the US version, if they are taking the extra time to change the main characters to the more americanized version, I will import the japanese version; those US characters are way ugly.

tanod

when is my burrito
nofilter said:

I meant the powerbar. My memory seemed to have missed a click. I guess they both have 3 clicks. The swing indicator seems like it could potentially be more intuitive based on how they implement it.

nofi

tanod said:
I meant the powerbar. My memory seemed to have missed a click. I guess they both have 3 clicks. The swing indicator seems like it could potentially be more intuitive based on how they implement it.

I know, was just kidding. There is a 2 click version though, that always gives you a perfect shot. It's no good to subtle slices/hooks though, obviously.

Lightning said:
WOW.

Looks amazing. Normally I only buy Tiger Woods Golf but it looks like I will be giving both games a go this year. I will import the US version though to avoid the typical long EU wait.

EU version will be out first.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
To me, the simple Hot Shots system is the kb+m of golf games (or, maybe closer to my experience, the PES of golf games). No other golf game I've ever played (be it on Wii, PC, or elsewhere) gives you such a sense of accomplishment when you make a nice shot, due to both the great engine and the lacked of scripted-type shots (see: TW).

tyler

I agree it's by far a better golf game than Tiger but I'm not sure it does anything better than Mario Golf 64 in terms of control & physics. Well it didn't until this new version as I prefer the new swing system.

I can't believe how these so called 'cartoony' golf games do such a better job compared to Tiger both in terms of how the ball rolls & feels and in getting the relief of courses to come across. Tiger is so dull and flat in comparison.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
tyler said:
I agree it's by far a better golf game than Tiger but I'm not sure it does anything better than Mario Golf 64 in terms of control & physics. Well it didn't until this new version as I prefer the new swing system.

I can't believe how these so called 'cartoony' golf games do such a better job compared to Tiger both in terms of how the ball rolls & feels and in getting the relief of courses to come across. Tiger is so dull and flat in comparison.

I was never a big MG64 player, so I'll defer to you on that (I think I was playing Links or something on the PC at the time). Totally agree with you on the second point though. If you didn't know any better, by the looks of both games you'd think the engines were swapped.

Looking forward to trying out the new swing mechanic (haven't played the HSG5 demo).

el Diablo

Banned
Whoever gets this first please start a thread or something, have a ton of questions (i'm sure others as well) on how the game actually turns out since there's been such little media coverage on it.

Koren

tyler said:
I agree it's by far a better golf game than Tiger but I'm not sure it does anything better than Mario Golf 64
Same team created both series... Both are (very) good games. I like the ring shot and slots of MG when I've friends, the diversity of MnG. The tricky part is that, even if they've both convincing physics, they differ, especially on the green/fairway during roll. Playing one then the other is disturbing at times :)

Brofist

Just picked this up today, local store in Den Den was selling it early (4700 yen, starting to like Sony 1st party pricing). I'll be playing it, try to post some impressions if I have time.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
kpop100 said:
Just picked this up today, local store in Den Den was selling it early (4700 yen, starting to like Sony 1st party pricing). I'll be playing it, try to post some impressions if I have time.

Please let us know about language options :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
kpop100 said:
I doubt it will have English menus, but online play is a toss up.

I'm going to try to pick this up a day early tomorrow at my usual shop, I'll post here once I get it.

Yeah, I doubt it will have English as well. They always do a bunch of localization on the Hot Shots games, don't they?

Brofist

ok, upon booting the game it brings you to a mandatory HDD install menu. Didn't see any way around it, and since it's taking a while to install I can only imagine it must be a decent sized install.

Looking bleak for language options already, since the first menus were in Japanese, and my system setting is English. Usually games that have a language option default to the system setting.

Brofist

ok some (super early) impressions

- Initial install is 4GB. no wonder Sony is pushing larger HDDs.
- Game is 720p/30fps still, and not a huge upgrade graphically from the demo. I liked the look even of the demo, so no problems here.
- No language options at all.
- I started out with 3 different golfers, the ones from the demo and another old looking guy. Could be because I still had the demo on my system?
- Obviously anyone who has played the demo knows about the 2 styles of gameplay. Nothing has changed there that I can see.

Gotta head back to my office, so I'll probably hold off on online play until tonight.

Brofist

:lol so much for online. couldn't connect yet. guess the service will be up tomorrow when the game is officially released.

Blimblim said:
Hopefully I'll have some videos later today. Not sure though.

try and get a video of the intro up if possible. it's so bizarre and funny. The Mingol version of Stomp is the only way I can describe it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
kpop100 said:
try and get a video of the intro up if possible. it's so bizarre and funny. The Mingol version of Stomp is the only way I can describe it.
Just got confirmation that the videos will indeed be done today, and asked for a video of the intro :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
davepoobond said:
4 gig install? cripes! how big are these installs going to get??

The fact that it is mandatory is what scares me.

But whatever, wont buy this poor 720p/30fps/shimmering galore job even if it's the only videogame on Earth.

MercuryLS

Banned
davepoobond said:
4 gig install? cripes! how big are these installs going to get??

It's optional isn't it? Is it to lower load times?

Sony should have just made the BRD faster :/

TTP said:

But whatever, wont buy this poor 720p/30fps/shimmering galore job even if it's the only videogame on Earth.

What what in the butt?

Pretty stupid, hopefully this doesn't become a trend...I'd have to have my HDD filled with this crap.

seb

Banned
TTP said:

About that, is it confirmed that there is no improvement since the demo ? still 30 fps and aliasing ?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

yeah, lets double check that - that's exactly what people were scared of with the original Xbox.

Whilst having stuff on a drive is fine, having to install things MANDATORY is worrying. What is the problem there ? I though seek times on the BR drive were more than good enough , so i wonder if it's something to help with the online or something weird like that?

crazy.

Still... can't wait....

actually... is that the sound of thundeR? or is the sound of people who installed PS2 FFXI on their 20 gig machine and now can't play Mingol without uninstalling or MAJORLY cleaning up their drive racing in here in ANGER?

Jonnyram in 5... 4.... 3.... 2...

Jonnyram

WTF.
So I basically can't play this game unless I delete FFXI.
Good game, Sony. Good game!

edit: DCharlie, you scare me sometimes.

nofi

TTP said:

I'm sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous. Where the hell were you when games only had 240 vertical pixels, and ran in 8 colours at between 5 and 10 fps if you were lucky?

This whole graphics whore thing is a horrible state of mind, dude.

Edit - it's 9/9/9/9 from Famitsu, BTW.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
A mandatory 4GB install. Wow. I'm glad I got that last 160gb HDD a few weeks back. It would be nice if we could at least not opt to use the disc after these huge installs.

Brofist

obviously I'm not going to go back and delete that mammoth install to double check, but I saw no indication of a choice when I booted the game. I have to say though, it so seamless and load free, I'd have probably installed it even if I had been given the choice. And I am still running my lowly 20GB HDD btw.

Game looks great, frame rate means nothing in a golf game.

Top Bottom