• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Mouse Cop

Respect Komugi-chan by remembering her name please. Knov crumpled when that aura hit his ass though and yeah Gon and Killua are legit bat shit insane, but Killua is way like way more evened out than Gon, Gon's the fucking crazy one. You may not see it now, but by the time this arc's done you'll fear Gon for very understandable reasons. Killua operates on logic, Gon...I couldn't tell you what logic and moral systems he operates on. If you haven't said "fuck this motherfucker Pouf" once while watching this arc to completion than you have more tolerance for him than I did.

Just finished episode 115. Lots of Narrator the past couple of episodes since the invasion. Netero is a damn boss, Zeno too. Their entrance was amazing but
poor Koboogie-chan. She didn't deserve that, the amount of respect from the chairman and Zeno was pretty cool. I've overall liked what Komugi has brought out of the King. It adds another layer of complexity to his character. He was just a destructive baby, and he was fine with that. Now he wants to know who HE is, and what his purpose is. Sure, he's still just a destructive force, but he realizes there should be more to him than that. Shoot has to have the most clutch performance in this anime so far. His fight against Youpi is insane and he's earned a lot of respect points. Knuckle and Morel still stay being awesome. Also fuck Pouf, he's just annoying as hell at this point. Fuck Knov too, Shoot is a renowned coward and stepped up. Know not participating in this fight is fucking awful of him. I'm worried for Palm and Ikalgo, Octo-bro is amazing.

The build up in these last few episodes is insane. Literally feels like each episode is dedicated to 10 seconds in real time in the show. I'm waiting for the eventual explosion of awesome that's about to happen.

Mouse Cop

Episode 116 is AMAZING. One of the most tense scenes in anime and one of the best performances too.

I JUST FINISHED IT. HOLY SHIT. WOW...

It has been a long, long time since an anime has made me feel this way. What an episode, I could be riding off the high of just finishing it, but I think its the best one in the series. GON WITH HIS BIG BOY BOOTS ON.

zero_suit

Episode 116 is AMAZING. One of the most tense scenes in anime and one of the best performances too.

I JUST FINISHED IT. HOLY SHIT. WOW...

It has been a long, long time since an anime has made me feel this way. What an episode, I could be riding off the high of just finishing it, but I think its the best one in the series. GON WITH HIS BIG BOY BOOTS ON.

I can't wait to see what you two think of episode 126.

Just finished episode 115. Lots of Narrator the past couple of episodes since the invasion. Netero is a damn boss, Zeno too. Their entrance was amazing but
poor Koboogie-chan. She didn't deserve that, the amount of respect from the chairman and Zeno was pretty cool. I've overall liked what Komugi has brought out of the King. It adds another layer of complexity to his character. He was just a destructive baby, and he was fine with that. Now he wants to know who HE is, and what his purpose is. Sure, he's still just a destructive force, but he realizes there should be more to him than that. Shoot has to have the most clutch performance in this anime so far. His fight against Youpi is insane and he's earned a lot of respect points. Knuckle and Morel still stay being awesome. Also fuck Pouf, he's just annoying as hell at this point. Fuck Knov too, Shoot is a renowned coward and stepped up. Know not participating in this fight is fucking awful of him. I'm worried for Palm and Ikalgo, Octo-bro is amazing.

The build up in these last few episodes is insane. Literally feels like each episode is dedicated to 10 seconds in real time in the show. I'm waiting for the eventual explosion of awesome that's about to happen.
You haven't even seen the highest highs of this yet though, this arc is so good. Get used to the narrator though, I'll admit the pacing put me to sleep a bit, but the arc is god tier period, don't even care. Knov is done, he's a pensioner now and I told you Pouf is an asshole, he's not even done yet.

Mouse Cop

Just finished episode 121. THIS.MOTHERFUCKING.POUUFFFF!
Fucking Pouf throwing away Morel's baller pipe. And obviously, his fucking ability is just as annoying as he is, that stupid laugh of his is so damn irritating. he's going to end up being the reason Koboogie-chan dies playing around with Gon and Pitou. I love Knuckle and him taking away APR from Youpi to save his teacher and basically offer his life on a platter to Youpi. Youpi went from Royal Asshole #2 to earning some respect in my book. Plus his centaur form looks pretty badass. I'm not sure what he's doing going to the King's side, but he'll end up interrupting the King's fight with Netero and he won't be happy. Speaking of that, how many damn episodes has it been since those two left to go fight? Jesus, with all these different plot lines, the wait for Gon to fight Pitou and Netero to fight the King is excruciating. Also, Killua going Super Saiyan Blue on Youpi was badass as shit. You can tell that despite maybe Knuckle, Shoot, & Morel being a higher level than Killua and Gon, the latter two are ridiculously talented and grow more powerful by the damn second. Know gets some cool points for at least going back to rescue people, but that's the least he can do after ditching his teammates. I'm waiting for the inevitable Pitou/Gon fight, I don't buy that she can fix Kite, who I think is corpse puppet status and not just wounded. He's probably dead or beyond saving at this point, and Gon is going to wreck her shit.

Also, not sure if I should be spoiler tagging everything, I am just in case you get someone like me who shows up and gets hyped to watch the show. I know the show ended awhile ago and statue of limitations on spoilers is probably up.

Insert this guy didn't read the OP below.

Mouse Cop

Episode 126 down, just wow.
This is some of thefts action I've ever seen in an anime. Th battle itself was already tense, but the shots themselves were spectacular. During that one minute 1000 punch exchange and Meruem taking both limbs. Netero is a fucking champion, but you also realize, this man isn't exactly the best of them. He recognizes he's working with the source of what Meruem wants to destroy, and even more he doesn't totally disagree with the King's view. Meruem has advanced a lot as a character, where now he recognizes the human potential. He doesn't just want to rule over people and dominate, but wants to be a kind of benevolent tyrant. Let's stake a step back and look at this motherfucker Pouf, who is pulling all sorts of strings right now. he has full plans to betray his fellow Royal Guard to remain the Royal Asshole protecting the King. he's the only one of the 3 guards who hasn't realized human potential, and still sees them as lowly organisms. I'm not sure who's killing Pouf but it needs to happen like 2 episodes ago. Gone is pure steel, love his resolve in this and it goes against the shonen "make friends with everyone" stereotype. It's a big change from when he befriended Meleroem (sp?). If Palm had changed for the worst, this arc would have been too much. I'm sure Gon would've jumped straight to Super Saiyan 4 and blown the fuck up out of everyone. Octo-bro and Thong-Wolf interaction was great. This brings us back to the King, I don't think he's dead, and this will be like when Vegeta self destructed in vain. Which leaves me with who the fuck is going to finish off the King? Only person I can think of Power level wise would be Ging from whats been said on the show.

Such a great arc so far and I appreciate the lack of narrator the last episode, so fucking tense.

Mouse Cop

Episode 131 complete. Wow... So many questions, but what a freaking episode.
So Lightning Killua is a transformation and Gon gets 10-20 years older Gon. I'm assuming this is Gon at his peak power in the future. Pitou mentions he's as strong as the King now (which is scary because the King is still alive). Now my ultimate question is, what's the price? Pitou and Killua both mention the price he has to pay for this. Pitou mentions wasting all his potential and cashing out all his Nen for this, meaning, does Gon not have Nen anymore? I don't think form is permanent, but I assume it's similar to how Kurapika has his chains against the Troupe. His chains are meant for the Troupe and the price he pays is death if he uses those two abilities on someone else. Gon's price has to be that he can't use Nen anymore like Pitou mentioned. So what the hell now? unless he's still in this form and goes to fight the King, how the hell does the King get defeated? He absolutely slaughtered Pitou which was amazing to see. This is the potential everyone throughout the series saw Gon having and the show now gives you a taste of it, but fuck, at what cost? Unless Hunter X Hunter decides to move away from him as a main character which would be absurd. Netero is dead too, so the Hunter association has no leader now, and it looks like he killed the human side of Meruem, leaving only the power hungry ant. Maybe seeing Koboogie-chan will revert him, but Pouf won't let that happen. I'm now convinced Pouf's death will be at the King's hands and maybe the King turns good or something. Who the hell does he get defeated? Unless Pouf turns on him and kills him somehow. But FUCKING GOONNNNNNNN what now!?!?

Yes, a lot of that was ranting and gibberish, because I just got off watching the episode. I'm not sure whatto even expect anymore. I wasn't expecting that at all. This fucking show man.

Yes, a lot of that was ranting and gibberish, because I just got off watching the episode. I'm not sure whatto even expect anymore. I wasn't expecting that at all. This fucking show man.

By the time you finish 136, I suspect you will be crying. That's what you can expect. Make sure you watch 135&136 in one go.

Mouse Cop, hurry up and watch the eps so we can read your reaction. It's a joy reading the analysis from virgin H X H eyes. It's making me relive those moments myself.

I think it was Jaded that mentioned it but I don't want to see Gon go through that ever again. It subverts the desire to see the main character powerup. The darkness in his eyes right before it happened, the pain and sadness toward the end, the shape he is in after everything is over, etc... Nope.

lol koboogie.
lol

Mouse Cop

Episodes 133 & 134 are both done. Some truth bombs being thrown out
Ikalgo & Welfkini were both comrades before, which was assumed. I had thought maybe Ikalgo was gyro, but I guess that's not the case. More importantly, Palm throws a huge spoiler into all this. She knows the King is going to die, and next episode, its confirmed that the rose Netero detonated radiates poison which kills people with exposure to it. Pouf, Youpi, and the King were all exposed to it. Kind of odd that the poison would be stronger than the explosion itself, but it gives an out for how the King is going to die. Kind of funny in all this,is that Meruem will die having been solely defeated by only Koboogie-chan. Maybe his battle with Netero is a prolonged draw instead of an outright win or loss. Now that Meruem remembers Koboogie-chan, the human in him is taking over the ant. Welfkini has some balls to yell that after he almost killed himself of a heart attack in front of the King. All of this just makes me hate Knov more, who couldn't join in on the fight. I'm not worried about knuckle or Meleorom (idk how to spell his name) , but Palm and Ikalgo aren't out of the woods yet.

Mouse Cop, hurry up and watch the eps so we can read your reaction. It's a joy reading the analysis from virgin H X H eyes. It's making me relive those moments myself.

I'll be watching more tomorrow! I can't stop watching these episodes now! Which kind of sucks, because like 3 days ago I had 50 episodes left and now I have around 15 or so. I'm going to instantly regret watching this after it ends and leaves me with a huge void.

I think it was Jaded that mentioned it but I don't want to see Gon go through that ever again. It subverts the desire to see the main character powerup. The darkness in his eyes right before it happened, the pain and sadness toward the end, the shape he is in after everything is over, etc... Nope.

This side of Gon goes against everything we know about him from the last 100+ episodes. Also, it's the first time I think someone close to him has passed and the enemy is right there. The anguish on Gon's face and his anger is excruciating. I still can't get over how menacing he looked. I went quickly from "Gon what the hell are you doing, you're going to die" to "Oh shit, everyone's fucked. This kid is insane and now everyone is dead".

Seeing Gon
as an adult kind of makes me want to see a time skip. I know there won't be one, but maybe just a natural progression in time. i kind of get the feeling the series is going to focus on someone else for awhile before jumping back to him. Especially if he can't use Nen anymore. I also get the feeling, that there isn't much following this,and I won't know the answer to this question for awhile.

Dude the seeds of Gon's nuts as fuck is sprinkled across the show. Him not giving an ounce of a fuck that his best friend in the universe has a body count, Gon don't even bring that up...ever, not one. "I'm an assassin." Gon's just there like "OK." His stubborn fight with Hanzo during the Hunters Exam. Dude couldn't win at all, but didn't want to lose period, it was to the point where Hanzo just knocked his ass out and quit if I'm not mistaken cause Gon pissed him off that much, him threatening
to kill Komugi, most innocent person in the arc and threatened to kill her cause he just saw her as an obstacle, not even a moving obstacle, Komugi just laid there half dead.
The scariest thing is that Gon did that over fucking Kite of all people, he barely knew Kite. Yes Kite saved him when he was younger, but how long did he really know Kite? A month maybe? Imagine if that was Kurapika, Leorio, Killua or even Ging that died. He'd probably just go to the Hunters Organization and strap a couple of those Rose nukes to his chest or something. Gon's legit scary and after this whole mess I just started liking Killua more. Goku's dumb as fuck, but for the most part as long as it's not something battle related I don't find him as stupid dangerous as Gon is.

jackal27

Banned
I just started this recently and I'm at episode 26 or so I believe? Gon just
recovered after getting injured in the tournament and Hisoka just killed the pretty boy he'd fought before.
Wonderig when things start picking up.

Also, is this show still premiering or did it end production??

recovered after getting injured in the tournament and Hisoka just killed the pretty boy he'd fought before.

This has been done for a couple of years. They don't even enough manga for another season yet. Gon and Killua just barely know Nen still it starts to pick up again, but I think the next arc is one of the weaker ones though with like a D tier villain, but the next arc after that...hold on to your anus with that one.

It ended in '14 with 148 episodes. There's only been about 30 chapters post-anime, not enough for them to continue animating.

Mouse Cop

Dude the seeds of Gon's nuts as fuck is sprinkled across the show. Him not giving an ounce of a fuck that his best friend in the universe has a body count, Gon don't even bring that up...ever, not one. "I'm an assassin." Gon's just there like "OK." His stubborn fight with Hanzo during the Hunters Exam. Dude couldn't win at all, but didn't want to lose period, it was to the point where Hanzo just knocked his ass out and quit if I'm not mistaken cause Gon pissed him off that much, him threatening
to kill Komugi, most innocent person in the arc and threatened to kill her cause he just saw her as an obstacle, not even a moving obstacle, Komugi just laid there half dead.
The scariest thing is that Gon did that over fucking Kite of all people, he barely knew Kite. Yes Kite saved him when he was younger, but how long did he really know Kite? A month maybe? Imagine if that was Kurapika, Leorio, Killua or even Ging that died. He'd probably just go to the Hunters Organization and strap a couple of those Rose nukes to his chest or something. Gon's legit scary and after this whole mess I just started liking Killua more. Goku's dumb as fuck, but for the most part as long as it's not something battle related I don't find him as stupid dangerous as Gon is.

The fact Kite was the trigger is kind of odd. I think it has to do with
the fact Ging had this as all part of his plan. Until then, everything had gone how Ging thought it would. Gone probably thought Kite would help him learn what he needs to find his dad, and really, Kite is the closest person to Gon's dad that he knows of. Gone obviously has issues, his dad left him to go do whatever he wanted to do, and he's been growing up in his shadow every sense. I like Killua a lot too, since I think he's kind of had the most character growth in the series when comparing the two.

I tend to like villains more than main characters, or the sidekicks more. Hisoka is probably my favorite character, followed by Kurapika and Killua. I really like Gon though, which says a lot because I never like the main protagonist in shone. I like him much more than Goku. Well, I'm going to watch both of these episodes back to back now. Here we go.

Mouse Cop

For fucking real, FUCK THAT GUY. LEAVE KOBOOGIE-CHAN ALONE YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE.

Episodes 135-136 are now done. You guys weren't fucking joking about those tissues. Holy shit man, what a great way to wrap up this arc. I love how sometimes Hunter x Hunter plays out the story and doesn't hold your hand through it.
The episode opens with Meruem using his En and finding out from Palm that he's going to die from the poison very soon. Pouf, THAT MOTHERFUCKER, is already dead at this point because of the poison. I love how they just have events happen, it makes it seem like the show keeps going without you, even if it is confusing at times. It looks like you're taking peaks into these characters lives rather than it all just be some scripted sequence. Meruem confronts Palm about Koboogie, and Palm just gives in. Fucking Meruem, what a mixed bag. I go from loving him, to hating him, to loving him all over again. He's a great character in my opinion and even though he did fucked up things, he realized all of his mistakes and knew that he was doing the wrong thing. He still respects his royal guard just for their loyalty, and just the fact that he realizes this devoutness to him is great. I'm not sure how to explain that whole sequence for Koboogie. They both care for each other tremendously, what started as sport for Meruem pretty much grew to love. Koboogie is what brings out the humility and humanity out of Meruem. Koboogie and Netero probably had some of the biggest impacts on his life due to their nature. Netero's dedication to duty no matter the cost and Koboogie's innocence no matter the situation. I thought this is where the tears would flow, I got really emotional during the final moments told through Koboogie's perspective and man what a great sequence that was. Episode 136 has the remaining ants set off on their lives. The servant soldier ant ended up being REINA, WHICH BLEW MY FUCKING MIND. I THOUGHT THE GIRL COLT WAS LOOKING AFTER WAS REINA, BUT NO, IT WAS THE SOLDIER ANT. THE FUCKING TEARS STREAMING DOWN MY FACE AS SHE WAS REUNITED WITH HER MOTHER AND SPOKE AGAIN. FUCK TISSUES, BRING OUT TOWELS FOR THIS SEQUENCE, HOLY SHIT. Speaking of Colt, the girl he's looking after is FUCKING KITE. ANIME, WHY DO U DIS TO ME?? Gon is seriously fucked up and Killua is on a mission. As expected, the next arc seems to focus on Netero's successor as it turns away from Gon and Killua a bit. ALL I KNOW IS LEEORIO BETTER SHOW UP AS A FUCKING HUNTER DOCTOR AND HELP HEAL GON. THIS IS HIS FUCKING PURPOSE IN THIS SHOW. To end everything we see the Zodiacs (the fuck?) leaders of the hunter association, with none other than the beautiful bastard Ging coming into view. If Ging ends up being the main character for this next arc, I will lose my shit. My minor gripe with everything is that the Meruem dies to fucking poison. Like shit, motherfucker survives a nuke, but na this poison out of control son. He only comes back baller as fuck, but na this poison son. It had to be done, he would've changed the world. I was going to make a political joke, but I'm a junior and value my life.

Chimera Ant arc finished, I still can't believe this is the same fucking show I started watching 135 episodes ago. It's so different, but it's so great. This is the best arc in the show so far, with some of the best moments I've ever seen in any anime period.

tl;dr: I cried and loved every second of it.

Moaradin

Greatest arc ever. Cemented HxH as my favorite anime, and it was already up there before that point. Meruem
pretty much did die from the initial explosion, but the royal guards saved him with their orgasms. That's how they all got poisoned.

The next arc is great and very much underappreciated IMO. Killua is the best and he's adorable with (minor spoilers)
his sister.

Mouse Cop

About to start episode 140, but something's been bothering me. Is Alluka a boy or a girl? Illumi and the rest of the family refer to her as a boy. Killua, calls her a girl. I have a similar confusion with Kalluto, no idea if they're boys or girls. Also, Killua is the fucking best. I love Hisoka back in the fold too.
Ging is kind of underwhelming, he's predicted everything, but he seems to be kind of the same person as always, putting himself in front of his own son. I guess this is some trial by fire to ensure Gon grows up to be awesome or whatever, but he's a terrible father. It's hard to like him at this point. The Zodiacs are all kind of weird, but they're cool. Pariston Baelish in the mothafucking house. I want to see them actually fight or something, but I don't think it'll happen. Seems to be a political battle, which is a nice change of pace from the last arc. I see Leeorio and Kurapika in the OP and ED, so they better be in soon.

Show is still really good, but it does feel like it's trying to bring down the pace a bit after the high that was the previous arc.

Mouse Cop

DAMMNNNN GINNGGGG

tumblr_mt8wwkvfXg1sin6fio1_500.gif

MY BOY LEORIO FOR LIFE.

DAMMNNNN GINNGGGG

tumblr_mt8wwkvfXg1sin6fio1_500.gif

MY BOY LEORIO FOR LIFE.
Ging getting his chin tapped with a fucking teleporting Tiger Uppercut is too good. Killua is my favorite character, I find it fucking hilarious that him and Leorio are the nicest characters. Kurapika is nice, but fuck his temper like seriously. You gotta work over time to keep him from losing it at times. I love how everybody calls out Ging for being a shitty dad. "Go see Gon!" "He's got friends, what dafuq he need me for?"

Mouse Cop

Ging is the freaking worst man. Terrible dad, sees his son again and is like "Oh, go see your friends you little shit, I'm trying to have fun". Like fuck you man, big fucking fuck you. Lebroio for fucking life after that move. I'm glad Gon made it out alive, not like ther was any doubt, but I though they might delay it until the end of the arc. Pariston is amazing, Gon should've had him as a dad.

Well...I have 147 & 148 left. Going to start those in a couple of hours, but man, really don't want the show to end. Is there a similar thread for discussing the manga? Since we can't talk about it here and I'll probably continue with it as soon as I'm done with the show.

Anyways, I'll be back with the last two episodes done and my overall impressions of the series. Short of a comet coming and wiping every character out, this anime will end up creeping into my top 5 I think.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ging is the freaking worst man. Terrible dad, sees his son again and is like "Oh, go see your friends you little shit, I'm trying to have fun". Like fuck you man, big fucking fuck you. Lebroio for fucking life after that move. I'm glad Gon made it out alive, not like ther was any doubt, but I though they might delay it until the end of the arc. Pariston is amazing, Gon should've had him as a dad.

Well...I have 147 & 148 left. Going to start those in a couple of hours, but man, really don't want the show to end. Is there a similar thread for discussing the manga? Since we can't talk about it here and I'll probably continue with it as soon as I'm done with the show.

Anyways, I'll be back with the last two episodes done and my overall impressions of the series. Short of a comet coming and wiping every character out, this anime will end up creeping into my top 5 I think.

There is an HxH community thread isn't very active when the manga isn't running which sadly, is still fairly rare though Togashi is in better health and spirits it seems so hopefully that means he'll start releasing the manga more frequently... we hope.

Mouse Cop

Hunter x Hunter completed, what a ride! The last two episodes were really just winding down and some service like seeing Kite and Ging. The anime did a pretty good job of wrapping up something still in progress. It definitely feels like there's a lot left to tell, but the anime picked a good place to stop. Kurapika is being kind of a dick though, not showing up at all at the end there. Hisoka straight up massacring people at the end was fun to watch. Lebroio coming through at the end, confrontation with Kite was pretty good too. Killua being the best big brother ever is pretty much the biggest highlight this past arc. I liked all the new characters for the most part, but it feels like we barely spent any time with them after really getting to know the characters from the last arc so well. The shot at the end
of Meruem and Koboogie holding hands
absolutely slayed me.

Well, that's it, show's over and I feel that emptiness already. I had read good things about this show beforehand, including what was on this thread, but the show exceeded all my expectations. What was a fun, heart warming adventure, turned into a dark tale of humanity and friendship. Show's a 10/10 for me, and not just because of Chimera Ant Arc. I enjoyed Greed Island and Yorknew City arcs as well, after Heavens Arena, the show picks up considerably.

Now..do I start the manga from scratch? What chapter does the show end on? And, what did you guys watch after to satiate this Hunter x Hunter itch?

Moaradin

339 is the chapter the last episode adapted. After the anime, I just read bits of the Chimera Ant arc and all of the Chairman Election to get used to the format, then I went straight into the new stuff. Worked out great.

Nothing really satisfies that itch, but there's still great shows out there. Mob Psycho 100 is probably the standout for this year. I also enjoy watching HxH in english every week on Toonami :p

Moaradin

Yeah it's a great chapter. It almost feels like it was made specifically as a place for the anime to end because it really feels like an ending lol.

Ging is a great character. He's just a piece of shit.

Mouse Cop

339 is the chapter the last episode adapted. After the anime, I just read bits of the Chimera Ant arc and all of the Chairman Election to get used to the format, then I went straight into the new stuff. Worked out great.

Nothing really satisfies that itch, but there's still great shows out there. Mob Psycho 100 is probably the standout for this year. I also enjoy watching HxH in english every week on Toonami :p

I had taken a break from anime, but Hunter x Hunter put me back in that mood. Might look into Mob and maybe finish watching JoJo, since I stopped watching while it was still airing and now they have a bunch of episodes.

Even though 339 got adapted, read that chapter anyway because it's just really good and only has like 2 pages of dialog for the whole chapter

I'll start around the 330's and see how it is to get used to the format. After that...well..I'm in this ride with everyone I guess.

Sayad

I stopped at the end of the election arc, I'm not about to start another HxH arc before it's finished, getting months of hiatus between some of the most intense parts of the ants arc was torture. :\
Election arc end is also a good enough conclusion for the serious, for now.

Yeah it's a great chapter. It almost feels like it was made specifically as a place for the anime to end because it really feels like an ending lol.

Ging is a great character. He's just a piece of shit.

I honestly think he may be Togashi's best character creation. Current manga spoilers
The Dark Continent chapters featuring him have been amazing. The way he stepped to Beyond's DC crew and forced himself into a leadership role is such a delight to read.

Greed Island arc spoilers
When Razor has the flashback where Ging is speaking with him and Ging just stares at him with a loving expression, I learned so much about how caring Ging really is.

I don't see Ging as a bad father. When has Gon ever seemed hurt that Ging left him in the care of Aunt Mito? And (election arc spoilers)
when Pariston threatens Gon in front of Ging, it is clear that Ging knows Gon is fine and there is nothing to worry about. Ging has full confidence in Gon. Ging left Gon in the care of someone who could provide the best parental role for Gon. Ging cares deeply about things.

You might like Yu Yu Hakusho if you haven't watched it already.
YYH is a shonen anime prerequisite.
I had taken a break from anime, but Hunter x Hunter put me back in that mood. Might look into Mob and maybe finish watching JoJo, since I stopped watching while it was still airing and now they have a bunch of episodes.
Jojo and HxH have some of the most hilarious "what the fuck is this fucking bullshit" powers.

YYH is a shonen anime prerequisite.

Does any other shonen mangaka have two classic shonen under their belt in the way Togashi has HXH and YYH? I feel most shonen mangaka have their big hit, and while they may do one or a few other solid series, they never have a second big hit. At least in the same genre of their other hit

Toriyama has Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball. But I feel Dr. Slump is in a different genre from DB. Watsuki has done other shonen following Rurouni Kenshin, but none of them seem to be "big" hits. Kubo had Zombie Powder before Bleach but it wasn't a big series. I could see Kishimoto's upcoming shonen series being a big hit even if it won't be as big as Naruto.

Togashi though, YYH is a classic. HXH seems even more popular in Japan and the madhouse anime has helped it's popularity grow throughout the world. Quality wise, it improves on YYH immensely. I love YYH and I'd take some arcs in it over some arcs in HXH, but chapter for chapter, strategic concept for strategic concept, I feel HXH is easily the superior shonen manga. YYH feels like the beta of HXH to me during some parts

Does any other shonen mangaka have two classic shonen under their belt in the way Togashi has HXH and YYH? I feel most shonen mangaka have their big hit, and while they may do one or a few other solid series, they never have a second big hit. At least in the same genre of their other hit
Should Jojo count? I mean each part is pretty much it's own separate thing with wildly different themes, characters and plots. Only thing really holding it together is the name and a "Jojo." I'm still debating if anybody that was into Naruto is awaiting Kishi's new show after how Naruto devolved into almost dogshit tier. It's not as bad as what I heard Bleach became, but it ain't great either. I think with Nen evolution you have to thank Togashi's love for Jojo. He tried fiddling around with stand like powers with Territories in YYH and pretty much put his own personal stamp on the mechanic with Nen in HxH.

Top Bottom