• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Daingurse

Shit in the dub is finally starting to get real. The concept of Nen has been introduced! I am really enjoying this dub too. It is very solid. The only weak link may be the Narrator hahaha. The Chimera Ant arc will put him through the wringer.

Mouse Cop

Does any other shonen mangaka have two classic shonen under their belt in the way Togashi has HXH and YYH? I feel most shonen mangaka have their big hit, and while they may do one or a few other solid series, they never have a second big hit. At least in the same genre of their other hit

I think Cross Game and Touch are both labeled as Shounen, so Mitsuru Adachi. He's written a bunch of good shit, I'm a big fan of his. Touch/Cross Game share my #3 faorite anime slot together.

Maybe Imaishi? I know he's not a one man show, but he's directed TTGL & FLCL.

Jojo and HxH have some of the most hilarious "what the fuck is this fucking bullshit" powers.

The powers were a great surprise in HxH, such cool intuitive powers.

I honestly think he may be Togashi's best character creation. Current manga spoilers
The Dark Continent chapters featuring him have been amazing. The way he stepped to Beyond's DC crew and forced himself into a leadership role is such a delight to read.

Greed Island arc spoilers
When Razor has the flashback where Ging is speaking with him and Ging just stares at him with a loving expression, I learned so much about how caring Ging really is.

I don't see Ging as a bad father. When has Gon ever seemed hurt that Ging left him in the care of Aunt Mito? And (election arc spoilers)
when Pariston threatens Gon in front of Ging, it is clear that Ging knows Gon is fine and there is nothing to worry about. Ging has full confidence in Gon. Ging left Gon in the care of someone who could provide the best parental role for Gon. Ging cares deeply about things.

Ging's a douche father. The fact remains he abandoned his child to make his life more enjoyable. Sure in the process, he thought of his kid's well-being and had his kid's life planned out, but he still abandoned him. He's also cold as shit towards Gon when Gon finally meets him. He's made with the intention of being redeemable, but he's still a piece of shit dad.

You might like Yu Yu Hakusho if you haven't watched it already.

I have, that's actually why HxH was pretty high on my list too. I should probably do a re-watch though since it's been years. I'm not sure if its on crunchy roll though, or how I'd watch it at this point.

I understand. I'm completely used to it with Berserk, so one more series I love constantly going on hiatus won't hurt lol.

It's why I haven't started Beserk. I relented on HxH and it was an amazing experience, but the wait will be excruciating now. It's kind of different from other show for me like Kokoro Connect that ended the anime early and hasn't come out, or even Devil is a part-timer. Both of those are great shows that have left me longing for more, but I've made a huge emotional investment into the HxH characters. Part of the reason I stuck around for Naruto.

Daingurse

I'm not sure who's a worse parent. Ging or Yusuke's mother?

Yusuke's mom is your run of the mill bad mom. Ging honestly takes the shit to the next level, where you have the earn the right to even see the motherfucker. Yusuke mom at-least puts in a low effort. And remember how broken she was at Yusuke's wake? Ging couldn't even be bothered to go visit his dying son in the hospital. Fuck Ging lol.

The YYH anime doesn't do Yusuke's mom any favors. In the manga she's at the Dark Tournament with everyone else, but she's pretty absent in the anime.

Yusuke's mom is your run of the mill bad mom. Ging honestly takes the shit to the next level, where you have the earn the right to even see the motherfucker. Yusuke mom at-least puts in a low effort. And remember how broken she was at Yusuke's wake? Ging couldn't even be bothered to go visit his dying son in the hospital. Fuck Ging lol.
Lol...all I remember is her in the anime hanging out with some bearded cross dressers as Yusuke lies in bed fucking dead. "Gon go play this murderous game to check off part of my Keikaku."

Mouse Cop

Yusuke's mom isn't great, but at least she was sad her son fucking died. Ging is on some next level spartan life kind of shit, where if Gon hadn't passed all his trials he'd be like "I guess you weren't a Hunter". Gendo is still a worse dad, because he doesn't give a shit about his son AND uses his ass. Ging just doesn't give a shit.

Does any other shonen mangaka have two classic shonen under their belt in the way Togashi has HXH and YYH? I feel most shonen mangaka have their big hit, and while they may do one or a few other solid series, they never have a second big hit. At least in the same genre of their other hit

Toriyama has Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball. But I feel Dr. Slump is in a different genre from DB. Watsuki has done other shonen following Rurouni Kenshin, but none of them seem to be "big" hits. Kubo had Zombie Powder before Bleach but it wasn't a big series. I could see Kishimoto's upcoming shonen series being a big hit even if it won't be as big as Naruto.

Togashi though, YYH is a classic. HXH seems even more popular in Japan and the madhouse anime has helped it's popularity grow throughout the world. Quality wise, it improves on YYH immensely. I love YYH and I'd take some arcs in it over some arcs in HXH, but chapter for chapter, strategic concept for strategic concept, I feel HXH is easily the superior shonen manga. YYH feels like the beta of HXH to me during some parts
Yeah, I agree with this. I love YYH and HxH.

The shot at the end
of Meruem and Koboogie holding hands
absolutely slayed me.
It chewed me up and spit me out. I was not ready.

Yusuke's mom isn't great, but at least she was sad her son fucking died. Ging is on some next level spartan life kind of shit, where if Gon hadn't passed all his trials he'd be like "I guess you weren't a Hunter". Gendo is still a worse dad, because he doesn't give a shit about his son AND uses his ass. Ging just doesn't give a shit.
True, at least Yusuke's mom cried for Yusuke when he was dead. Ging didn't even bother to set one foot in that hospital when Gon was laying there probably missing half of his face or some shit with one damn arm. "Go see Gon? Why? He's fine."
It chewed me up and spit me out. I was not ready.
One is never ready for how the Chimera Ant arc ends, unless you're just one of those people that just doesn't get HxH.

Ray Down

Banned

Inoue Takehiko has Slam Dunk and Vagabond.

Slam Dunk may be the best sports manga ever and my personal favorite. Was the only manga that sold well enough and like so highly to be considered DB rival.

Hirorki Araki if you count Jojo.

Ray Down

Banned
Fun Fact: Slam Dunk was also the only manga when it ended to get the cover of Jump. Not even Naruto & DB ending got that (Oda even complain Naruto didn't get it!)

I wanted Gon to meet Ging so bad... but then you learn Ging is a shit dad and Togashi laughs in your face.
He was fine with Gon in that one scene towards the end, still pretty shitty though. "I know you're looking for me and if I feel you close to me I'm going to run" as he's riding on top of a monster riding on top of a fucking dragon. Fuck off Ging. Can't even defend the guy without telling him to fuck off.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
He was fine with Gon in that one scene towards the end, still pretty shitty though. "I know you're looking for me and if I feel you close to me I'm going to run" as he's riding on top of a monster riding on top of a fucking dragon. Fuck off Ging. Can't even defend the guy without telling him to fuck off.

That's why Leorio punching him felt so good. And the later scene with the other hunters ragging on Ging to act like a real dad.

I wanted Gon to meet Ging so bad... but then you learn Ging is a shit dad and Togashi laughs in your face.
He is a very peculiar kind of shit dad, he would never wish I'll to Gon but his detachment and tough love attitude makes me feel bad for Gon, funny thing is Gon doesn't seem to care Gin is like that in fact he kinds of like it.
Those moments at the Hunter election where everybody were calling Gin out on his shittiniess were priceless.

He is a very peculiar kind of shit dad, he would never wish I'll to Gon but his detachment and tough love attitude makes me feel bad for Gon, funny thing is Gon doesn't seem to care Gin is like that in fact he kinds of like it.
Those moments at the Hunter election where everybody were calling Gin out on his shittiniess were priceless.
Gon don't care cause Gon's a god damn psychopath. *Gets to end of tape to find out who his mother is* "I don't need to know" *turns off tape* "Gon I'm an assassin" "Don't worry Killua I don't care you're still my best friend." Don't get me wrong I love the naivety and sweetness, but it's also quite scary.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The clues were there... he left his child to have adventures out in the world. He said as much when he gets the tape (before the Yorkshin arc).

You know and created a gigantic videogame island that is full of death traps that have claimed who knows how many lives while also basically forcing his good friends to run and protect island for like a decade or more of time.

You know and created a gigantic videogame island that is full of death traps that have claimed who knows how many lives while also basically forcing his good friends to run and protect island for like a decade or more of time.
"If you see my son in this game don't forget to beat the shit out of him."

ArjanN

I think with Nen evolution you have to thank Togashi's love for Jojo. He tried fiddling around with stand like powers with Territories in YYH and pretty much put his own personal stamp on the mechanic with Nen in HxH.

I think it's probably something that evolved from trying to dodge the whole power inflation thing most shounen series have. By making the powers trickier, more out there abilities and based around outsmarting enemies instead of just straightforward speed/power boosts, you avoid having to turn every character into a super saiyan god after like 3 or 4 story arcs just to keep up.

I think he learned that lesson while making YYH and applied it to HxH right from the start.

I think it's probably something that evolved from trying to dodge the whole power inflation thing most shounen series have. By making the powers trickier, more out there abilities and based around outsmarting enemies instead of just straightforward speed/power boosts, you avoid having to turn every character into a super saiyan god after like 3 or 4 story arcs just to keep up.

I think he learned that lesson while making YYH and applied it to HxH right from the start.
But that's the exact purpose of stands though. Nen and Stands dodge the power escalation problem the same why. I'm not a Jojo expert but I do like it enough to see the same parallels between Nen and stands. Sometimes the dude with the most OP stand doesn't always win and the same can be said for Nen battles...unless you're fighting OP post Rose Meruem.

HStallion

Don't worry Togashi still has to give us Super Nen or Crimson/Blue/Whatever color Nen to show Toriyama how its done.

Daingurse

Debating buying the Season 1 set for $33. There being only 13 episodes has made it very hard to pull the trigger lol. Especially when I'm about to get Season 6 of the DBZ Blu-Rays for only $20 . . . But it's Hunter x Hunter in crisp Blu-Ray quality! Damn this is hard.

DJwest

Gon don't care cause Gon's a god damn psychopath. *Gets to end of tape to find out who his mother is* "I don't need to know" *turns off tape* "Gon I'm an assassin" "Don't worry Killua I don't care you're still my best friend." Don't get me wrong I love the naivety and sweetness, but it's also quite scary.
Holy shit, I don't even remember this. Lmao Gon

Permanently A

The mom stuff was kind of sweet though. Mito was his "real" mom and he didn't need or care for anyone else.

Years late, finally finished watching this lol.

So uh

how far is the manga at this point 😌

Not too far because of frequent hiatus. The new arc is shaping up to possibly be the best thing HxH has ever done.

So after 10 years of wanting to know what happens after Greed Island I finally made it to Chimera Ant and wtf is going on?! Why do they wear clothes? Why is one a koala wearing a suit? How can one even know how to read?

HStallion

So after 10 years of wanting to know what happens after Greed Island I finally made it to Chimera Ant and wtf is going on?! Why do they wear clothes? Why is one a koala wearing a suit? How can one even know how to read?

You ain't seen shit yet.

Im currently at episode 26 of so. Finally sat down and watched this yesterday and I'd previously read that it was slow but its paced pretty good. Had a great time watching them go through the trials.

fun anime.

HStallion

Im currently at episode 26 of so. Finally sat down and watched this yesterday and I'd previously read that it was slow but its paced pretty good. Had a great time watching them go through the trials.

fun anime.

It actually starts to pick up and get some serious world building in the next arc and it takes off from there.

It actually starts to pick up and get some serious world building in the next arc and it takes off from there.

Currently at Episode 102. Man the whole
chimera beast
arc is terrific. I gotta say, there was an episode in the second arc; I think the
volleyball episode
was so thrilling to watch.

This anime has some seriously awesome combat sequences and the two main boys are great.

HStallion

Currently at Episode 102. Man the whole
chimera beast
arc is terrific. I gotta say, there was an episode in the second arc; I think the
volleyball episode
was so thrilling to watch.

This anime has some seriously awesome combat sequences and the two main boys are great.

If you're talking about the dodge ball game that's actually in the Greed Island arc and is one of the stand out parts of the series in my opinion.

well now that they're attacking
the King's castle

I gotta say, its dramatically slowing down with lots of episodes where the kinetic pacing of the show that I like slowing down to fights and sequences that seem to streeetchhh out for ages. I must have watched like 8 episodes or so where the total in story time passed was 3 minutes. In the meantime I'm going "this is moving sooo slowwww"

I hope this arc ends well. No spoilers thanks!

Top Bottom