• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

woopWOOP

Yeah that's too bad, but I kind of like the 2 x speed of the whole sequence. I figured they'd just cut out the whole Phantom Troupe slideshow.

Wonder if they'll also speed up the credits when the chorus is playing that one episode.

Mouse Cop

So I started watching Hunter X Hunter a couple of months ago because of this thread. I had always told myself I wouldn't start it because of all the hiatuses, but holy shit, what a show. I'm on episode 98 right now and the shifts this show goes through are insane. At first it was conservative, by not showing blood or being particularly explicit to what's happening to everyone (deaths are presumed but not explicitly shown much at the beginning) to the outright devastation that's going on now. I love the show, the characters are great, my only main gripe is that it seems every time Gon and Killua start to learn cool shit, they get destroyed by infinitely more powerful people. Even my main bro Hisoka doesn't seem as OP as he was at beginning of the show. Kurapika shows up broken as fuck and now just disappears and I'm not even sure what the hell Leeorio even does. Dude seems like a gag character, but whatever.

I'm sad I have so few episodes left and I'm convinced this will be like waiting for book 6 of ASOIAF, hold me GAF.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I started watching Hunter X Hunter a couple of months ago because of this thread. I had always told myself I wouldn't start it because of all the hiatuses, but holy shit, what a show. I'm on episode 98 right now and the shifts this show goes through are insane. At first it was conservative, by not showing blood or being particularly explicit to what's happening to everyone (deaths are presumed but not explicitly shown much at the beginning) to the outright devastation that's going on now. I love the show, the characters are great, my only main gripe is that it seems every time Gon and Killua start to learn cool shit, they get destroyed by infinitely more powerful people. Even my main bro Hisoka doesn't seem as OP as he was at beginning of the show. Kurapika shows up broken as fuck and now just disappears and I'm not even sure what the hell Leeorio even does. Dude seems like a gag character, but whatever.

I'm sad I have so few episodes left and I'm convinced this will be like waiting for book 6 of ASOIAF, hold me GAF.

Westeros needs a man like Pariston. He wouldn't even want to sit on the Iron Throne.

Mouse Cop

Does he show up again? I think I read there was one more arc after this one, and I know Hisoka is supposed to be very strong, but these stupid ants are so broken. Kurapika was a fucking boss during the Yorknew arc and now he's vanished.

Are you watching it on Netflix because it doesn't have the last 48 episodes. Just curious because you say so few but you're on 98.

I'm watching on crunchy roll, I know there's like 50 episodes or whatever left, but that doesn't seem like enough. I hate when awesome things come to an end, even if in this case, it's not really over but stalled introduction (which is worse).

Westeros needs a man like Pariston. He wouldn't even want to sit on the Iron Throne.

I'm not sure who Pariston is, unless he was introduced awhile ago. I started the show in like July, I've been trying to take it slow, but have picked up the pace recently.

HStallion

I'm not sure who Pariston is, unless he was introduced awhile ago. I started the show in like July, I've been trying to take it slow, but have picked up the pace recently.

Oh my bad. Thought you were closer to the end. He won't be in for a while but you will love to hate him.

Mouse Cop

Oh my bad. Thought you were closer to the end. He won't be in for a while but you will love to hate him.

Geting Littlefinger vibes, not sure how I feel! Also, does anyone else think Gon's power is lame? Sorry if this has been talked about before, I didn't want to read through the whole because of spoilers. Killua is all badass with his SPOILERS FOR POWERS
emperor palatine fingers and Gon is like "look I punch hard"
lame.

Geting Littlefinger vibes, not sure how I feel! Also, does anyone else think Gon's power is lame? Sorry if this has been talked about before, I didn't want to read through the whole because of spoilers. Killua is all badass with his SPOILERS FOR POWERS
emperor palatine fingers and Gon is like "look I punch hard"
lame.
Killua is technically the better fighter, Gon is unpredictable and that in and of itself makes him very dangerous. His child like naivety and overally fucking stupidity when it comes to seeing the bigger picture is frightening. Killua's the sane one, let that sink in for a minute please. Assassin boy is a lot more sane than Gon is.

Gon pretty much gave into his guilt ridden despair and sacrificed his nen for a one time power boost. That was the complete opposite of going super saiyan, Gon fucking really just wanted to die. It's one of my favorite moments, but god damn Gon stopped being my favorite after that shit. He's a Shonen protag with a fucking dark streak if you tap into it too much. In the manga thread I theorized that him and Kurapika pretty much have the potential to be the next Phantom Troupe leaders. With Kurapika being Chrollo and Gon being Uvogin.

Gon did the same thing Kurapika did, only instead of Conjuring a Chain that only works on a specific group of people under threat of death, Gon Enhanced himself to kill 1 particular being and sacrificed himself to do it. Their Nen responded in similar ways but in wildly different degrees, but both fueled by intense anger.
Yeah after reading up about it I understood what happened. Seems Gon got fucked up though lol

Up to 135
-Well it looks like this arc is over, the king is dead and so a re his lackeys. I thought this would be the final arc of the anime but there's still few more episodes left
-The fights in the second half of CA apart from Gon vs Pitou felt underwhelming tbh. It was all just the hunters fighting hopeless battles and never gaining any real advantage. Just took some of the hype off from me. Bad pacing and narration didn't help
-Great conclusion though. Meruem and snot girl having their final moments playing a board game. Even though he became nicer, he still kinda acted like a jerk a few times there. Probably because he knew he would literally hold the L to his grave. Oh well
-Mama and Reina reunited! That's a good parent, able to recognize her daughter despite the transformation and unconditionally accepting her. Very touching scene. I wonder if mom will meet with Colt again someday. Shout out to Bro crab for being a bro

HStallion

Yeah after reading up about it I understood what happened. Seems Gon got fucked up though lol

Up to 135
-Well it looks like this arc is over, the king is dead and so a re his lackeys. I thought this would be the final arc of the anime but there's still few more episodes left
-The fights in the second half of CA apart from Gon vs Pitou felt underwhelming tbh. It was all just the hunters fighting hopeless battles and never gaining any real advantage. Just took some of the hype off from me. Bad pacing and narration didn't help
-Great conclusion though. Meruem and snot girl having their final moments playing a board game. Even though he became nicer, he still kinda acted like a jerk a few times there. Probably because he knew he would literally hold the L to his grave. Oh well
-Mama and Reina reunited! That's a good parent, able to recognize her daughter despite the transformation and unconditionally accepting her. Very touching scene. I wonder if mom will meet with Colt again someday. Shout out to Bro crab for being a bro

That's kind of the point. Even the best fighter humanity had who was an absolute Nen using monster couldn't defeat the King. He was just a level beyond and required more than brawn and Nen but the use of humanity's clever and adaptable nature to do the job.

Radec

Does he show up again? I think I read there was one more arc after this one, and I know Hisoka is supposed to be very strong, but these stupid ants are so broken. Kurapika was a fucking boss during the Yorknew arc and now he's vanished.

Hisoka is in the arc after the Ant Arc. But just for a few episodes.

Then after that, His huge fight is in the manga only for now.

Auctopus

I'm watching on crunchy roll, I know there's like 50 episodes or whatever left, but that doesn't seem like enough. I hate when awesome things come to an end, even if in this case, it's not really over but stalled introduction (which is worse).

In about twenty episodes or so, there are a series of events which are covered by around 10-12 episodes yet the narrator explains that it has all happened within 5 minutes. So, it depends on how you interpret "enough".

Burbeting

Banned
Best ending song.

It's one of the greatest ending songs in what I've seen in anime, that's for sure.... and even then, it's not only the third best ending song to me in HXH (Hyori Ittai and Nagareboshi Kirari). All of the songs are just so good in this.

I miss Leorio, he's the GOAT so nice to have him back for the last few chapters, I haven't read the manga but I hope Togashi doesn't drop this dude again, my understanding of Japanese is very basic but part of why I love Leorio is because his seiyuu, I recognized him right away from Hajime no Ippo, nobody does funny bantering like this voice actor, always cracks me up. he was the perfect fit for Leorio

I miss Leorio, he's the GOAT so nice to have him back for the last few chapters, I haven't read the manga but I hope Togashi doesn't drop this dude again, my understanding of Japanese is very basic but part of why I love Leorio is because his seiyuu, I recognized him right away from Hajime no Ippo, nobody does funny bantering like this voice actor, always cracks me up. he was the perfect fit for Leorio
The current manga arc seems to mostly be about Leorio and Kurapika any way so you should be fine with that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Keiji Fujiwara is a treasure. Leorio is my favorite character as well so seeing him back in focus after so long was such a great feeling.

Keiji Fujiwara is a treasure. Leorio is my favorite character as well so seeing him back in focus after so long was such a great feeling.

Indeed he is, I will watch any anime he is in, heck, I'd love to have a couple of beers with him, I probably couldn't stop laughing the whole time.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) actually features a number of well-known voice actors. They did really good on the casting here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=13262
Lol Mizaistom is Wham
Yoooooo Komugi is Sheryl Nome!!!!!
Pitou is Mineva Zabi from Unicorn Gundam as well as Young Polnareff
Netero is a D'arby Brother
Wait wait wait a minute Biscuit sang the Yu Yu Hakusho theme? Ok it isn't the main theme it's something else. Interesting she's Japanese Lucrezia Noin
Oh god Hanzo is Steely Dan
Holy shit Hisoka is Rock from Black Lagoon!!!!!! and fucking Riddhe from Unicorn Gundam
Lol Youpi is Japanese Gendo
Whoever Franklin was is Hol Horse
So Pariston was the former Hisoka...I wonder why they switched him out.
OG Netero was Happosai
Cheadle is Pikachu and Mannish Boy, Konohamaru, Merle from Escaflowne
I can't finish looking through this list it's too much god damn. I already know Knuckle is Okuyasu.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Years of watching and rewatching has brought me through every single emotion towards the opening, but I've settled on "I like it".

I disliked it at first but over time I grew to like it. Much like the Chimera Ant arc.

Lol Mizaistom is Wham
Yoooooo Komugi is Sheryl Nome!!!!!
Pitou is Mineva Zabi from Unicorn Gundam as well as Young Polnareff
Netero is a D'arby Brother
Wait wait wait a minute Biscuit sang the Yu Yu Hakusho theme? Ok it isn't the main theme it's something else. Interesting she's Japanese Lucrezia Noin
Oh god Hanzo is Steely Dan
Holy shit Hisoka is Rock from Black Lagoon!!!!!! and fucking Riddhe from Unicorn Gundam
Lol Youpi is Japanese Gendo
Whoever Franklin was is Hol Horse
So Pariston was the former Hisoka...I wonder why they switched him out.
OG Netero was Happosai
Cheadle is Pikachu and Mannish Boy, Konohamaru, Merle from Escaflowne
I can't finish looking through this list it's too much god damn. I already know Knuckle is Okuyasu.

And Kite = Char Aznable.

I disliked it at first but over time I grew to like it. Much like the Chimera Ant arc.

And Kite = Char Aznable.
Yup, I knew about that one as well since I definitely made fun of that during my watching of it. They compiled a damn good cast for this show. Am I the only one that immediately liked the Chimera Ant arc once it finally started going?

Ragnaroz

Hunting For Your Dreams is definitely awesome, but Hyori Ittai is the best, no question. The way it's used in the series itself still gives me goosebumps.
I like them both equally, to be honest.

I dunno what's up with anime in the past few years, but most of them have been having much better EDs than OPs. Apart from OPM and Seven Deadly Sins, I have disliked OPs in most of the recent animes I watched.

Erigu

How many VA's does HxH share with Jojo?
If we're limiting ourselves to the current TV adaptation of JoJo's Bizarre adventure (2012-current) and the second TV adaptation of Hunter x Hunter (2011-2014), and to actual characters (i.e. no "Woman B" or stuff like that):

Dio Brando = Dalzollene (Koyasu Takehito)
Poco's sister = Komugi (Aya Endō)
Straizo = Meleoron (Tobita Nobuo)
Loggins = Zebro (Nakano Yutaka)
Esidisi = Leorio Paradinight (Fujiwara Keiji)
Wamuu = Uvogin and Mizaistom Nana (Ōtsuka Akio)
Mark = Kanzai (Ōsaka Ryōta)
Jean Pierre Polnareff (as a child) = Neferpitou (Fujimura Ayumi)
Forever and Yangū Shigekiyo = Feitan (Yamaguchi Kappei)
Rubber Soul = the Kiriko son (Kawada Shinji)
Hol Horse = Franklin and Hiru (Kiuchi Hidenobu)
Steely Dan = Hanzō (Kishio Daisuke)
Mannish Boy = Cheadle Yorkshire (Ōtani Ikue)
Boingo = Canaria (Kumai Motoko)
Daniel J. d'Arby = Aizack Neterro (from episode 122 on) (Ginga Banjō)
Nukesaku = Gido (Nara Tōru)
Wilson Phillips = Bonolenov (Chō)
Nijimura Okuyasu = Knuckle Bine (Takagi Wataru)
Yamagishi Yukako = Calltt Zaoldyeck (Noto Mamiko)
Tonio Trussardi = Kastro (Kawashima Tokuyoshi)
Katagiri Anjūrō = Kess and Bara (Hamada Kenji)

(I might have missed some, but fuck, that took long enough!)

If we're limiting ourselves to the current TV adaptation of JoJo's Bizarre adventure (2012-current) and the second TV adaptation of Hunter x Hunter (2011-2014), and to actual characters (i.e. no "Woman B" or stuff like that):

Dio Brando = Dalzollene (Koyasu Takehito)
Poco's sister = Komugi (Aya Endō)
Straizo = Meleoron (Tobita Nobuo)
Loggins = Zebro (Nakano Yutaka)
Esidisi = Leorio Paradinight (Fujiwara Keiji)
Wamuu = Uvogin and Mizaistom Nana (Ōtsuka Akio)
Mark = Kanzai (Ōsaka Ryōta)
Jean Pierre Polnareff (as a child) = Neferpitou (Fujimura Ayumi)
Forever and Yangū Shigekiyo = Feitan (Yamaguchi Kappei)
Rubber Soul = the Kiriko son (Kawada Shinji)
Hol Horse = Franklin and Hiru (Kiuchi Hidenobu)
Steely Dan = Hanzō (Kishio Daisuke)
Mannish Boy = Cheadle Yorkshire (Ōtani Ikue)
Boingo = Canaria (Kumai Motoko)
Daniel J. d'Arby = Aizack Neterro (from episode 122 on) (Ginga Banjō)
Nukesaku = Gido (Nara Tōru)
Wilson Phillips = Bonolenov (Chō)
Nijimura Okuyasu = Knuckle Bine (Takagi Wataru)
Yamagishi Yukako = Calltt Zaoldyeck (Noto Mamiko)
Tonio Trussardi = Kastro (Kawashima Tokuyoshi)
Katagiri Anjūrō = Kess and Bara (Hamada Kenji)

(I might have missed some, but fuck, that took long enough!)
God damn, they might as well just be in the same universe and Nen is just part of some other dimension when the universe got reset.

Moaradin

The opening is great. Can't believe I only just recently found out that the singer is the same one that did the GOAT ED (Hunting For Your Dream).

Mouse Cop

Just finished episode 106, holy shit! This episode is so freaking tense
knov infiltrating the castle had me on the edge of my seat, I thought Pouf was going to show up and just decapitate him at any second. Palm (Pam?) infiltrating is also intense. Finally get the showdown between Liger bro and Morel. Morel and Knov were introduced this arc, but already love them. Knov reacting to that aura says a lot. Gon and Killua are batshit crazy if a hunter many leagues above them doesn't want anything to do with the royal guard. Booger-chan upsets me because of her boogers, but I'm intrigued in that storyline as well.

Show is soooo freaking good.

HStallion

knov infiltrating the castle had me on the edge of my seat, I thought Pouf was going to show up and just decapitate him at any second. Palm (Pam?) infiltrating is also intense. Finally get the showdown between Liger bro and Morel. Morel and Knov were introduced this arc, but already love them. Knov reacting to that aura says a lot. Gon and Killua are batshit crazy if a hunter many leagues above them doesn't want anything to do with the royal guard. Booger-chan upsets me because of her boogers, but I'm intrigued in that storyline as well.

Morel may be one of the best side characters in the series

Mouse Cop

Morel may be one of the best side characters in the series

Yea, he's amazing. I think his power is super cool, I love how this series plays with your perception of people. Morel is a huge buff guy, looks like an enhancer, but instead is a manipulator (I think). And man, Knov real fucked up after that aura.

Daingurse

Yea, he's amazing. I think his power is super cool, I love how this series plays with your perception of people. Morel is a huge buff guy, looks like an enhancer, but instead is a manipulator (I think). And man, Knov real fucked up after that aura.

Gives some real perspective on just how beastly Gon and Killua are. Pouf's aura just straight up shattered Knov.

Mouse Cop

Gives some real perspective on just how beastly Gon and Killua are. Pouf's aura just straight up shattered Knov.

That freaking aura turned Knov's hair white, he's pretty much a shell of his former self. Gone and Killua are 100% bat shit insane, I wonder if their aura will ever get to that level. Also, wondering if Pouf's aura is stronger than Pitou's. If En radius has anything to do with it, Pitou's aura has to be even scarier probably.
Invasion about to start! Show has gotten to a point where I can't stop watching it!

Respect Komugi-chan by remembering her name please. Knov crumpled when that aura hit his ass though and yeah Gon and Killua are legit bat shit insane, but Killua is way like way more evened out than Gon, Gon's the fucking crazy one. You may not see it now, but by the time this arc's done you'll fear Gon for very understandable reasons. Killua operates on logic, Gon...I couldn't tell you what logic and moral systems he operates on. If you haven't said "fuck this motherfucker Pouf" once while watching this arc to completion than you have more tolerance for him than I did.

Top Bottom