• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New InFamous Second Son Screenshots

image_infamous_second_son-22309-2661_0001.jpg
"Ummmm... Is this how you do a Vulcan Death Grip?"

The gameplay demonstration was cool and the game looks gorgeous, but I'm somewhat disappointed that the only difference between this game and Infamous 1 and 2 seems to be the protagonist/powers and story. I kinda wanted something a bit more profound. Adding multiplayer modes doesn't count unless they are intrinsic to the single player like in Dark Souls.

Hopefully something will be announced that proves me wrong. If I get a PS4, I'll still buy it though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
looks insane. i havent played infamous 2, but i hope there's not that much sewer jumping anymore.

i hope they got rid of that "good vs. evil" thing. i feel like i missed out on half of the abilities cause i chose one way over the other.

i hope they got rid of that "good vs. evil" thing. i feel like i missed out on half of the abilities cause i chose one way over the other.

That whole karma thing was responsible for the best moment in Infamous 1, but I agree with you. I would probably prefer something like a purchasing system or talent trees that would let me build the character to my taste. Not having to worry about the whole karma thing could also potentially result in a better developed and paced plot.

Croyles

These screens, wow!
I hope they really focus on gameplay mechanics first though.

I'm scared for Naughty Dog, the degree to which UC4 needs to be pretty to blow people's minds is frightening.

I would prefer Naughty Dog to start a new IP again. I doubt they will make The Last Of Us 2 either.

Uncharted 4 would be safest bet sales wise, but I think Naughty Dog themselves are getting a little bored of that franchise.

Danlord

Has any screenshots been released of the UI of the game, other than the dot crosshair shown in that 5 minute video?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Uncharted 4 would be safest bet sales wise, but I think Naughty Dog themselves are getting a little bored of that franchise.

Well, at the end of the day, with ND being a first-party studio, Sony gets what Sony wants. I'd love to see a Sully prequel on the PS4, but as is often said when the subject is brought up, it's more likely to appear on the Vita given the popularity of Nathan Drake.

Jacobi

Banned
Bullshot usually refers to image quality. Nobody is saying the assets are different, just that the shots are clearly downsampled.

So what? EVERYONE does it and for a reason, it doesn't make sense to send aliased screens to print. So should we have 4 pages of bullshot claims in every thread?

People are like "Looks so fake, so much better than the gameplay video"
You were watching a highly compressed 720p Video!!! And we probably won't see a proper representation of true game footage until the console's in stores, the compression takes away A LOT of the detail, everyone who went from uncompressed (ProRes and the likes) to H264 will tell you that...

So the reality is between those touched up (for image quality) screenshots and the compressed video.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
So what? EVERYONE does it and for a reason, it doesn't make sense to send aliased screens to print. So should we have 4 pages of bullshot claims in every thread?

You were watching a highly compressed 720p Video!!! And we probably won't see a proper representation of true game footage until the console's in stores, the compression takes away A LOT of the detail, everyone who went from uncompressed (ProRes and the likes) to H264 will tell you that...

So the reality is between those touched up (for image quality) screenshots and the compressed video.
This is gonna be a huge problem next gen. It'll be really hard to find accurate representations of how a game looks in motion.

velociraptor

Yes.

Refer to Gamersyde's video of Titanfall for reference. Titanfall looked pretty abysmal in those E3 streams, but the crisp 1080p video surpassed my expectations quite a bit.

Kind of side tracking, but any word on whether or not this will support move controls? Granted I'm buying it day 1, but talk about icing on the cake.

Marleyman

Banned
If this was a launch title I would buy a PS4 over the Xbox One. I just think the Xbox One launch lineup is better but will get a PS4 down the road for this and the other exclusives.

That's not how it works. I mean, even in this set of bullshots there is some weak texturing (look at the stone fragment above the character's head in the first shot for example of broken UV mapping).

FWIW, I agree with dark10x that in many current-gen games, texture resolution isn't even the largest issue -- it's a lack of anisotropic filtering. I hope we'll at least get full AF on all "next-gen" console games, catching up to the Geforce 3 series released in 2001. Actually, this could be one area where PS4 games could outdo XB1 versions, since AF is pretty bandwidth-intensive.

Man if next gen games still don't all have 16x AF I think it's time to sack every single engineer who worked on the hardware for both systems and just call it quits as far as console gaming goes.
Standard feature with no performance impact on pc since 2002-2003.
Even on the crappiest lowest end dedicated gpus from 5 years ago you can turn on 16x af and not lose a single fps.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
May I ask why?

Because you're wrong in pretty much every thread you post in.

You're wrong about everything you've posted in this one.

You were wrong about everything in that one thread asking what the benefits are of PS4's unified memory system.

I haven't checked yet, but if you're posting in that TRUTHFACT thread, you're probably wrong in that one too.

So yeah, maybe stop posting because you're always wrong.

Durante

Well, they are if your definition of bullshot is "anything not taken straight out of a retail unit at native resolution".
Well, I think that's the only simple definition which works. If it differs from what you get over HDMI, it's a bullshot.

Jacobi

Banned
Well, I think that's the only simple definition which works. If it differs from what you get over HDMI, it's a bullshot.

That's your definition. There isn't an actual definition of the word, to me it was defined by C&C Renegade, which had insanely photoshopped screenshots, after that C&C which had inserted explosions via PS in their screens.

That's your definition. There isn't an actual definition of the word, to me it was defined by C&C Renegade, which had insanely photoshopped screenshots, after that C&C which had inserted explosions via PS in their screens.

Penny Arcade coined the term. Ask them for the definition of the word :p

Bullshots are lies. I don't think simply downsampling a screenshot is enough to make it a bullshot, because downsampling is achievable and perfectly playable (given beefy hardware) on PCs.

However, this kind of image quality on consoles is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch BS. In motion, I fully expect this game to have pretty obvious aliasing. I would also expect a downgrade in asset quality (just to keep my expectations in check). And I don't think that depth of field will be present during gameplay. Probably just cut scenes.

zoukka

To me it's clear. If the devs spiced up the shots to make the game look better than it is, then it's a bullshot.

StuBurns

Banned
A bullshot is anything that's not the image quality of the real-time game on the system. Any higher resolution super sampled thing is a bullshot, if it's all in-engine assets or not.

What are you even arguing about, you know what the poster was saying when he said bullshot, there is no point in getting into semantics over what you think it means, you know what he means.

dr_rus

Actually, this could be one area where PS4 games could outdo XB1 versions, since AF is pretty bandwidth-intensive.
Not really. Texture caches are very good at handling AF fetches. That's one of the reasons why even very high quality AF is nearly free on the latest batch of GPUs.
I agree that AF is what must be a standard for the next gen though. Lack of AF in TLoU is killing me right now.

Raist

Banned

I don't disagree. It's just that many people would think of the kind of shit Ubi is pulling. So not just downsampled screens, but a good dose of photoshopping etc.

Direct screen grabs are of course always better. Overall I have the feeling that the end result (what you see on the screen in person) is always a bit less rough overall.

Durante

I don't disagree. It's just that many people would think of the kind of shit Ubi is pulling. So not just downsampled screens, but a good dose of photoshopping etc.

Direct screen grabs are of course always better. Overall I have the feeling that the end result (what you see on the screen in person) is always a bit less rough overall.
I agree that there are varying degrees of bullshottery, I actually introduced bullshots of the first, second and third degree in a post a few weeks back :p

Found it:
In my opinion, everything that is not a framebuffer grab is a bullshot.

Then there may be different degrees of bullshottery, like a bullshot of the first degree has fake IQ/AA, a bullshot of the second degree additionally improves lighting and effects and a bullshot of the third degree also uses better assets than anything in the game.

Raist

Banned
I agree that there are varying degrees of bullshottery, I actually introduced bullshots of the first, second and third degree in a post a few weeks back :p

Found it:

Yep, same logic for me.
The oversampled shots don't bother me that much. Plus it's not necessarily some kind of evil deceiving attempt from devs anyway. I'm fairly sure this is just a remnant of the print press days for the most part.

Now this kind of crap is a different story.

red-steel.jpg

Yep different strokes for sure. I love it here, fantastic place.

That it is!

I really wish this was closer to launch but I'm OK waiting a couple months. For my launch console games I usually want a sports game, a racing game, and an open world game ... so this fits perfectly.

Kane1345

I really can't wait for this game. It looks fantastic. If it was a launch game there would be a lot more PS4's being sold.

Top Bottom