• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info about Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts 3D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't think it means that. If anything, he's saying that as a reaction to the number of (lack of) pre-rendered scenes in FFXIII-2.

7:3 is a higher ration than what XIII-2 had.

That, and the KH team typically goes for more real time scenes anyway, but with Versus Nomura is aiming for detailed expressions with the characters... something that can of course be done better in CG.

That, and the KH team typically goes for more real time scenes anyway, but with Versus Nomura is aiming for detailed expressions with the characters... something that can of course be done better in CG.
also isn't the guy that did advent children doing the cut scenes? He wouldn't be on the game I would think unless he had more to work with.

duckroll

also isn't the guy that did advent children doing the cut scenes? He wouldn't be on the game I would think unless he had more to work with.

Who is "the guy that did advent children"? The realtime cutscenes in Versus should be directed by Jun Akiyama, the event planner for KH1, VS, and FFXII.

Who is "the guy that did advent children"? The realtime cutscenes in Versus should be directed by Jun Akiyama, the event planner for KH1, VS, and FFXII.
I can't remember the exact details but I'm like, 99% sure I read something similar to what I said. Maybe Kagari knows what I'm referring to (whether it's right or wrong), I know I read it. I'm not crazy!

I can't remember the exact details but I'm like, 99% sure I read something similar to what I said. Maybe Kagari knows what I'm referring to (whether it's right or wrong), I know I read it. I'm not crazy!

I think you're talking about the FMV. Real time scenes are done by the KH1/FFXII guy.

I think you're talking about the FMV. Real time scenes are done by the KH1/FFXII guy.
yeah I am talking about the FMV cutscenes, I guess I should have been more clear when I said "the" cutscenes, lol. I didn't mention it because Kagari mentioned CG in the post I was adding to.

duckroll

Maybe you're thinking of Takeshi Nozue? He's the co-director of Advent Children, and the movie director for Versus. He's directing the FMVs, but recently he also joined the realtime graphics team to help with implementation of the improved lighting system and so on. So the question of whether the realtime cutscene team in Versus and the Visualworks FMV team are really two completely different teams is no longer as clear as it used to be.

Maybe you're thinking of Takeshi Nozue? He's the co-director of Advent Children, and the movie director for Versus. He's directing the FMVs, but recently he also joined the realtime graphics team to help with implementation of the improved lighting system and so on. So the question of whether the realtime cutscene team in Versus and the Visualworks FMV team are really two completely different teams is no longer as clear as it used to be.
ah yeah he must be the person I was referring to since he is obviously working on the game. I didn't know he joined the realtime graphics team considering all he has seemed to do in his career is CG/Animation. I figure if he is working on the game, it must at least mostly be for FMVs since that seems to be his speciality. In fact I don't see anything his credits that would lead me to believe that he can actually do other stuff :p

But hey the more you know.

The first Final Fantasy came out in 1987 right? That would make 2012 the 25th anniversary

It would be cool if SE can get Verses out this year and build a whole anniversary celebration around it. I'd start by dropping the Verses XIII nonsense and naming it Final Fantasy Anniversary. Take the year to remind people about the good old days but also promise a "bold new direction"

duckroll

ah yeah he must be the person I was referring to since he is obviously working on the game. I didn't know he joined the realtime graphics team considering all he has seemed to do in his career is CG/Animation. I figure if he is working on the game, it must at least mostly be for FMVs since that seems to be his speciality. In fact I don't see anything his credits that would lead me to believe that he can actually do other stuff :p

But hey the more you know.

Yes, that was sort of the point. Once the realtime graphics hit a certain point in terms of technical quality, it would be beneficial to have someone who is experienced with CG work to advise or help with the staging, especially in terms of lighting and so on. To be honest, if you ask me every interview I read it just sounds like Nomura is a little too ambitious and the project doesn't sound completely locked down in terms of features and standards.

If that is the real reason why it is taking so long, then that's a very very bad thing. That sort of production management never works out in game development, ever. You'll just end up overburning everyone on the team and productivity will eventually slow to a crawl while the majority of work still isn't anywhere near complete.

Yes, that was sort of the point. Once the realtime graphics hit a certain point in terms of technical quality, it would be beneficial to have someone who is experienced with CG work to advise or help with the staging, especially in terms of lighting and so on. To be honest, if you ask me every interview I read it just sounds like Nomura is a little too ambitious and the project doesn't sound completely locked down in terms of features and standards.

If that is the real reason why it is taking so long, then that's a very very bad thing. That sort of production management never works out in game development, ever. You'll just end up overburning everyone on the team and productivity will eventually slow to a crawl while the majority of work still isn't anywhere near complete.
makes sense

I'll bet we will see this being played at a convention this year... on the Wii U.
they are barely able to show it running on the console it's being made for lol, having it up and running on another ready to show off would be like 9 years away in square enix time.

duckroll

Yes, FF's 25th anniversary is looking bleak right now... unless S-E surprises us.

What, you mean you're not super excited at the prospect of playing a cheapo 3DS rhythm game, and maybe a long delayed vaporware game and a HD port of a 10 year old PS2 game?!

Aeana

What, you mean you're not super excited at the prospect of playing a cheapo 3DS rhythm game, and maybe a long delayed vaporware game and a HD port of a 10 year old PS2 game?!

I'm gonna replay the whole FF series.
I'll make my own anniversary.

Pooya

maybe I finish Dirge of Cerberus for the first time soon finally :p
already done this year -> Crisis Core and FFVII.

next up VIII. I'm having fun :D

Chev

It's a completely different team, they could have a completely different development pipeline.

The article made it pretty clear this was a lesson to be applied company-wide if they had any intention of putting their projects out in a timely manner because the problem behind it was endemic to the company, and Square's R&D guy also has said as much at GDC. That another team would have another development pipeline would precisely be a problem, because all of S-E's tech efforts since the beginning of FF12's development have been to unify the pipeline so teams wouldn't waste development time reinventing the engine and tools as they routinely did in the previous generations (where it was tolerable because until the end of the PS1 era it was still feasible to create a whole AAA game from scratch in months instead of years).

njean777

At this point just cancel versus13. It's been talked about for the last 5 years or so. Just either finish it, or cancel it at this point. At this rate it will come out when the new consoles are already out.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
At this point just cancel versus13. It's been talked about for the last 5 years or so. Just either finish it, or cancel it at this point. At this rate it will come out when the new consoles are already out.

FF12 came out under the same conditions pretty much.

Why cancel what you can just put on the next consoles?

duckroll

So kinda like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IX, and Final Fantasy XII then?

royalan

I'm not sure, but I thought it was Matsuno's health issues and having to switch key people mid-development that was the driving force behind the FFXII delays?

If so, that's a better excuse than what Nomura and co. have...

I'm not sure, but I thought it was Matsuno's health issues and having to switch key people mid-development that was the driving force behind the FFXII delays?

Noctis just isn't fabulous enough yet, needs more time!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

To me it seems like Nomura keeps finding all sorts of stuff to add or tweak with the game... or outright changing things like the Noctis/Stella scene.

final-fantasy-versus-xiii-playstation-3-ps3-016.jpg

I think that scene was fine the way it was, but Nomura wants it perfect I suppose.

duckroll

Maybe he should. Then someone could come in and actually finish the game.

But then I guess Sqaure would lose their prince and be screwed.

With FFXII, the people Matsuno had under him (who took over when he got "sick") were the art director of OB, TO, FFT, and VS, and the lead designer of FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFT.

In comparison, if Nomura were to fall "sick" now, the two people taking over Versus will be the director of Dirge of Cerberus, and the battle director of PE2, KH, and KH2.

Think about this for a moment. Lol.

royalan

To me it seems like Nomura keeps finding all sorts of stuff to add or tweak with the game... or outright changing things like the Noctis/Stella scene.

I think that scene was fine the way it was, but Nomura wants it perfect I suppose.

I found a leak of the redone scene:

apana

I only say KH because thats what the people making it also make. And the last trailer looked like if anything it was relegated to KH. Dosent inspire much confidence in me either.

And Noctis' supposed personality is not enough for me to think the game looks generic. From the world view, the setting, and even the costuming. It does not look like a FF game before it. Even the atmosphere the trailers provide is different from past FFs. So even if the story finds itself lacking, it has other aspects that will seemingly set it apart. Well going by the trailers at least.

And it dosent really look like anything anyone else is doing in games. Modern Stylish Fantasy.

I think it is supposed to be darker and more realistic then any final fantasy game before it. Halfway through it turns into a first person shooter.

Top Bottom