• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Info on PS4s Noise Level, Power Consumption, Media Performance etc

FeiRR

Banned
Quieter than which version of the PS3?

>.> This means nothing to me as a generic statement. He could be referring to launch PS3's and comparing them to launch PS4's.....

That's why he said "generally" because it's nothing measurable. My old phat is a jet engine. I couldn't stand it so I sold it to my nephew who doesn't care and now I'm happy to use a slim which is much more quiet. But my phat wasn't that loud at the beginning. Fans wear, thermal paste on the chips hardens with time. I replaced it with new one but it didn't help much. Expect a similar process with new consoles because they are just normal electronic devices. Also expect the new consoles to go louder with time because devs will use more and more resources. That's why ND games are old console killers, not because they're badly made or something. That's also why a CPU/GPU upclock will always shorten the life span of electronics. PC overclockers know this and accept it, anyway we're talking about 10-20 years of use. Capacitors fail much earlier so I'd worry more about their quality in the new consoles. I'm dying to see them disassembled and analysed in that perspective.

demolitio

same all these things are meaningless until we get to experience both in house but i guess its good to discuss

Exactly. Of course they're not going to say their own console is loud and noise levels are very subjective as to what's acceptable, too loud, etc. and I'm sure plenty of people will still find it too loud regardless.

The only console that was TOO loud for me was my early 360 and the one that followed it. The PS3 could get pretty loud but that was pretty rare for me compared to the 360 and I'm glad MS seems to be addressing that part.

To me, there's a line that can't be crossed and that's it, but hearing that the PS4 has stepless fan control has me really excited too. Whether or not it's as quiet as most are expecting based off of words alone is the real question. I can't wait until we get to hear it for the first time.

Xenex

They are not going to support .mkv, none of the consoles probably ever will.

People should get over this fact. Use PS3 media server to stream them, otherwise, you're out of luck.

Or you could use:
  1. https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35968/remux
  2. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XMedia-Recode (Haven't personally tested)
I can't speak much for XMedia-Recode but Remux converts my MKV files into MP4 files within minutes. Then bang the file on a USB stick and insert into your console of choice ;)

goonergaz

My launch fat was really loud too until i opened it up tonight and cleaned the inside and now it's very quiet.

This.

PS3 phat was an amazing bit of hardware*, however there were 'dust bottlenecks' which caused overheating and noise issues from the fan which was literally 'all or nothing'.

Looking at the PS4 the vents are massive, so hopefully we will have less 'dust bottlenecks' and with the better fan.

I'm sure Sony have learned from PS3 cooling issues, I just can't believe something so small and (relatively) powerful could be so quiet...it's amazing if true, but as stated I need to hear it in my house!

*I believe it was a bit 'Russian roulette' if you got a cheap noisy fan. I should also add my machine was a launch JP 60GB unit so I probably got the best of the best! :p

Saiyan-Rox

Sorry if it's been mentioned (couldn't start my own thread plus not sure if it is thread worthy) but seems someone has a PS4 already

Link

Hopefully they'll upload more :) YLOD if old

EDIT: some reason the link keeps changing as I post it but it's on shopto's news portal try this one http://preview.tinyurl.com/k53pmzr

Saiyan-Rox

Shopto should probably be unbanned now. That credit card fiasco was sorted out a long time ago, and they're actually super reliable for games pre-orders etc now too.

Oh Smeg shopto is banned on here D: well bugger -_- if the mods remove it they can but thought it would be good to share at least :S

Septimius

Slim or Phat? because the Phat was loud

Phat could get a bit loud, indeed. But after having used the 360 and my girlfriend wondering if my mother was vacuuming in the other room, or another time when I was sure someone was using a leaf-blower outside, I've come to realize that 360 levels of sound are not acceptable. But PS3's levels have always been. By conclusion, the PS4 will be more than quiet enough for me.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Probably would have been easier to do that lol but wasn't aware at the time shopto links were a no no

also dat blue LED o_O
My fears if the Blue LED not being bright enough are being soothed. It's so good looking.

I can't tell but I think the sedan sounding noise is already there before it turns on.

Caayn

More meaningful than just giving values.
How is it? There's nothing we can compare it with, we don't know the distance from the console to the mic, there's to many unknowns. For all we know the it could be a harrier jet taking of or a Wii idling.

Besides it's starting up, since when have console noise levels been represented by a console that's starting up?

Jay Sosa

Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.

ewwww. I hope you can do a full install. Was one of my favorite features last gen.

Raist

Banned
System noise levels statement is super vague. There's a LOT of disparity when it comes to different PS3 models. Earliest phat models were super quiet, then it got worse, then better again. So yeah, this does not tell much.

The drive will definitely be louder than the PS3, and the Xbone's drive will be quieter than the 360, that's just a given. But fan noise remains to be seen. I guess the progressive fan speed thing is a good thing.

spwolf

Some hilarious shit from some of these new juniors, I must say.

Sony must clarify that the PS4 plays games people. Oh and don't believe what they say about the noise unless they provide decibel level data, because we've had those from PR for all the consoles in the past and present. You heard it here.

Ridiculous.

i was actually wondering... how do we know that PS4 plays games? How do we know that will launch on November 15th. How? They may delay it or even CANCEL it.

There we go people... PS4 might be cancelled.

Bishop89

"The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3."

guys, whats quieter than no sound?

Skeff

"The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3."

guys, whats quieter than no sound?

PS4 fans take on it:
Sound vacuum, It's going to suck in some ambient noise of the room, such as a girlfriend or mom whining to provide the ultimate gaming experience.

Xbox fans take on it:
Sound vacuum, it's going to suck in the sound of your TV so you can't play it, so it will waste an entire CPU core on audio for nothing because the 360 used a full cpu core in every game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Slim or Phat? because the Phat was loud
Not by default, my sisters PS3 Fat that she's hardly used you can barely tell its on, that's how the fat is new
Hopefully the PS4 doesn't get louder with age.

Top Bottom