• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Info on PS4s Noise Level, Power Consumption, Media Performance etc

I really hope PS4 supports more formats. The who media server thing with decode/encode streaming makes my PC sound like a 747 and makes HD content really choppy when trying to fast forward or rewind. Like its pretty much impossible.

IT Slave

Banned
I think your recollection in incorrect.

There was a thread about this Xb1 needing this about a week ago. It seemed that the consensus was that the DRM update was needed on the Xb1 to even play games.

I am sure there is someone here who has the correct information, but I am do believe that you do not need the internet ever to play games on the ps4.

Microsoft never stated that. Their point was that you only needed to connect you Xbox One to the Internet on day one, something they planned the whole time, and then after that you never need to connect it to the Internet (new).

There was no mention about DRM or playing games. This still needs to be clarified. People just jumped to conclusions.

Here's the Marc Whitten (June 2013) quote:

There was always going to be a day one update on the console, and that’s frankly just a difference in manufacturing schedules versus software schedules,” Whitten told IGN. “We just wanted to be clear that that hasn’t changed, that you have to go online to get the software update for day one, then you wouldn’t have to be connected after that.”

I guess the XB1 running noise, with its large fan, just has to be more quiet than the PS4's. But maybe they suck at engineering even more than what we already saw so far.

However I don't think either fan noise will be a problem. Neither of the current gen consoles have really loud fans. The original 360 maybe. The fat PS3 makes also quite a racket on the highest fan setting, but unless you turned the volume off of the game, it's not really distracting. This is of course subjective...
During movies, this was actually more noticeable, but then again the fan is on lower modes anyway. This should get even better on the next consoles, considering both consoles should not get hot at all while playing movies. Stepless fans on PS4 will also improve on that.

In a complete silent room, I can hear when my slim PS3 is on while it downloads stuff for PS+ etc., but even that is not bad.
I would assume that in the low power mode of the PS4, the fan is even completely off.

The loudest part will anyway be the disc drive during streaming/installing, this will be same for both XB1 and PS4, assuming they have the same max speeds. XB1 will of course be a much bigger improvement on 360 in this regard, the high spinning DVD reads of the 360 were/are always the most loud part.

Btw, it would be neat if the PS4 allocates e.g. 50 gb of the HDD for the current game in play, unless you choose to permanently save the game data for that game on the HDD. So it will install while you play, every time you switch to a different game of course, but at the BD drive speeds it should only be like during the first 10 minutes (and 6x is not really loud anyway). That way you would never have to see installs nor worry about making room on the HDD for them.

The PS3 was noisy depending on what disc was inside. CD-Roms were noisy as shit. Playing PS1 and CD-ROM PS2 games were a fucking scary nightmare.

Raistlin

I really hope PS4 supports more formats. The who media server thing with decode/encode streaming makes my PC sound like a 747 and makes HD content really choppy when trying to fast forward or rewind. Like its pretty much impossible.

from the OP:
The Audio/Video performance (for movies and music) of the PS4 will target PS3 levels at launch, but will be improved through updates, for instance with the addition of 4K, as Sony is also an Audio/Video company.

So no, at launch.

Maybe, in the future.

tfur

There was no mention about DRM or playing games. This still needs to be clarified. People just jumped to conclusions.

:

I guess we will wait and see. As it is now, it does require a day one online patch. I will not be surprised if there are day one people complaining.

Whether the OS that's ships with PS4 is in a state to just play games has to be clarified. But it's not shipping with the OS

I have not seen any information about the ps4 not shipping with an OS, or needing an update to function day one.

jWILL253

Banned
I never understood how console noise bothered people. I mean, it's not like I'm gonna wake up in the middle of the night, talking about "Damn, that PS4 is loud as shit, I can't sleep mane!"

However, it's good to know that Sony is still competent in hardware enginerring...

I never understood how console noise bothered people. I mean, it's not like I'm gonna wake up in the middle of the night, talking about "Damn, that PS4 is loud as shit, I can't sleep mane!"

However, it's good to know that Sony is still competent in hardware enginerring...

there are some times where the fan on my ps3 was so loud I had to turn up the game volume to hear what was going on. Ditto for movies at times.

Not a good thing when you live an apartment with shared walls.

there are some times where the fan on my ps3 was so loud I had to turn up the game volume to hear what was going on. Ditto for movies at times.

Not a good thing when you live an apartment with shared walls.

Did that PS3 die? My fat got super loud before it died. The fan on my slim PS3 is super quiet.

THANK YOU.

Guys, it's obvious that the quotes are roughly translated, hence the 'smaller' noise level etc. Wait until a western rep comments in these things before taking it as concrete strange-facts.
Yeah, I'm not sure what Garrett2U is on about. Something's left unsaid in the interview. Why would they make an app that doesn't just connect to the Internet like any other app? That defeats the purpose of an app.

Bailers

Yeah, I'm not sure what Garrett2U is on about. Something's left unsaid in the interview. Why would they make an app that doesn't just connect to the Internet like any other app? That defeats the purpose of an app.

I'm just guessing, but isn't the app also allow you to use your phone as a second screen on some games?

I also wonder if this is how they work the wake feature.

Skeff

Microsoft never stated that. Their point was that you only needed to connect you Xbox One to the Internet on day one, something they planned the whole time, and then after that you never need to connect it to the Internet (new).

Here's the Marc Whitten (June 2013) quote:

DRM turned off on November 22nd, confirmed by Major Nelson here on GAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=80743637&highlight=#post80743637

When do we get to start asking questions?

Dibs on "How easy was it to flip the switch to turn off the DRM for Xbox One?"

Don't know until Nov. 22...since it will be done then.

There is no distinction, Microsoft never said (in my recollection) that the day one update was needed to "turn off DRM". That was just people jumping to conclusions. They just said that once you update the console's OS there will be no need to ever connect to the Internet after that.

Whether the OS that's ships with PS4 is in a state to just play games has to be clarified. But it's not shipping with the OS. Both companies realize that you can't have your software schedule impact your hardware schedule because the former is more time sensitive.

Yea see what I just posted about Nelson confirming DRM will be turned off on november 22. Also the PS4 will play games with the OS it ships with, stop spreading FUD, You keep saying things that are simply tales out of your ass.

Iacobellis

This information was provided by Masayasu Ito, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia Senior Vice president and Director of Business Unit 1 - that's a long job title :D

• While being always online is not necessary, a network connection is important to fully enjoy the features of the PS4.
  • The PS4 will initially act as a stand-alone web server for the PlayStation App. In the future there’s the possibility of this to be expanded through the cloud, with the PS4 and PlayStation App interacting through the cloud, allowing cooperative play between multiple players.
  • The secondary chip for ultra-low power operation will mostly activate at night from 1 to 4 AM and download any required update automatically. It will also activate when software is purchased through external means like the PlayStation App.
  • Power consumption will vary greatly depending on the performance of the game played.
  • The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.
  • The PS4′s cooling fan has a low noise level and stepless speed control (meaning that it will increase its speed to match heat smoothly and not in sudden steps like the one on the PS3).
  • Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.
  • The Audio/Video performance (for movies and music) of the PS4 will target PS3 levels at launch, but will be improved through updates, for instance with the addition of 4K, as Sony is also an Audio/Video company.
  • The theme of the PS4 is “Personalization”, meaning that it will offer an experience tailored to each individual.
Via Dualshockers
AV Watch (Source)

This better be actual UI customization and not ads tailored to each user.

Being quieter than a jet engine isn't saying much :p System noise typically doesn't bother me anyway.

Yeah that's an interesting choice of words.

Quieter than WHICH PS3?

Slim, Slim 2? Fat? If its fat, then it sounds like it still might be fairly easy to hear it. No biggie. As long as it's not int he original fat 360 jet turbine levels then we're good.

Faster drive is louder? Shocking news. The constant caching of games to the hdd will limit the amount of time the drive is actually used.

No. It just means that first time play (when installing happens) your game reads BR disks at 6x speed so it is louder. Will be same with XO, After insallation Disk drive will be silent if used only to authenticate.

Also, my Slim is silent so nice to know ps4 will be quieter. Cool beans.

Tetra-9

Man, I have a phatty and sure its not super quiet, but some people are acting like the fans are always in the self-vacuum blow mode. Now. That. Shit. Is. Loud.

Amir0x

Banned
If they get it significantly quieter than PS3 in that form factor and hardware failures are minimal, they've built quite the little $399.99 package then

Right.

The PS app on xperia phones only doesn't 'run' on a PS3 and stream games to your phone, so why would PS4 and the PSN app go backwards?

satam55

Banned
Well this gen many PS3 online games are run on dedicated servers, and not so for Xbox Live, next gen MS guaranteed ALL games are going to have dedicated servers(in the cloud) and it seems this gen. Sony is going with the old Xbox Live model, this definitely is a plus for the XBO, no doubt.

MS has NEVER said all games would have dedicated servers. 3rd-party developers/publishers are responsible for the servers for their own games, not the platform holder.

cripterion

All this sounds good, and yeah like others have said before, my PS3 slim wasn't noisy except for the bluray drive so hearing this is even quieter, wow!

Yes they should allow us to change the background downloading times. I'll be very surprised if they didn't, as that would be a step back from PS+ on PS3. 4am-7am would probably work better for me than 1am-4am.

Blu-ray movies do not install to the HDD. But who cares, right? I'm supposed to rebuy everything digitally.

Blu-ray movie playback won't require the BD disc drive to spin at high/max speed or anywhere near that. So noise shouldn't be an issue there. Maybe a brief speedup when you first put the disc in to read the necessary data into memory, but that's it.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned
The stepless motor is such a welcome addition.

There's nothing worse than playing a game...then all of a sudden the machine detects it's getting hot and then goes into full blast. So very off-putting.

Cartman86

Banned
Wish it would just download the second the update is pushed out for something. At least give me the option if the theme is personal customization. I also hope personal customization isn't just automated. Like showing you relevant stuff (which is what they talked about in the past). We haven't seen any details at all about actual customization (changing colors, moving icons etc.) Not really a surprise though since we haven't seen too much detail on the UI anyways. All of this will come together at the last second as will the Xbone.

DC1

On behalf of all junior members, I apologize for this.

But back onto topic, I'm actually quite excited about this news. It seems they've made some great progress in the fan department.
I was once a junior. I appreciate this comment.

Mkv support would be nice, but with cinavia protection on bluray players it's less useful, that's why I bought a $60 western digital streaming device that plays everything.

ElFly

I guess the XB1 running noise, with its large fan, just has to be more quiet than the PS4's. But maybe they suck at engineering even more than what we already saw so far.

Larger fans are normally quieter since they can run slower and move the same air as a smaller fan. Size is only one factor in the noise, tho.

elfinke

Replaceable filters?

You might be on to something!

That's a properly great idea that I've played around with before. Premium PC cases have had those removable filter trays in front of their fans for ages, to allow easy access for cleaning. Building something similar into a console case (or perhaps as a additional accessory) would be great, for the 0.1% of us who would remember to use them!

Top Bottom