• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Info on PS4s Noise Level, Power Consumption, Media Performance etc

The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.

Why not approach this with the same skepticism as MS information? It says generally. Does that mean during game play? Why no decibel level data?

Not going to interfere with my PS4 time but the fact we question every phrase and word from MS and just swallow the Sony PR is kind of obvious.

They've talked about using the Playststion App to buy stuff and having it ready to go when you get home. That's what I want. I don't want to designate a certain time period for background downloading of games like we currently do with PS+.

The noise level of the console during operation is generally much smaller than it was on the PS3.

Why not approach this with the same skepticism as MS information? It says generally. Does that mean during game play? Why no decibel level data?

Not going to interfere with my PS4 time but the fact we question every phrase and word from MS and just swallow the Sony PR is kind of obvious.
You're just generalizing.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned

Everyone is tired as shit with this kind of talk. NeoGAF is a collective group of people, not a single entity.

And I don't see anyone here treating this word as gospel or 100% fact nor was anyone doing that with MS's claims. People are only excited by some news about the noise level because we haven't heard anything about it at all.

really?

What is going all with all this Jrs, did a bunch just let in or something?

Hey, we aren't all bad.

There is no distinction, Microsoft never said (in my recollection) that the day one update was needed to "turn off DRM". That was just people jumping to conclusions. They just said that once you update the console's OS there will be no need to ever connect to the Internet after that.

Whether the OS that's ships with PS4 is in a state to just play games has to be clarified. But it's not shipping with the OS. Both companies realize that you can't have your software schedule impact your hardware schedule because the former is more time sensitive.

PS4 isn't shipping with the OS? What are you even talking about? And Microsoft have already stated that in order to remove the DRM and online check-ins, YOU HAVE to connect to the internet to download a patch. Stop spreading FUD and flat out making shit up.

USC-fan

Banned

really?

What is going on with all this Jrs, did a bunch just let in or something?

Skeff

Going to need a source on that, otherwise please stop the fud.

Don't expect anything, He's a new poster who already has a clear MO of hopping into a thread, posting FUD been proven wrong and then jumping to the next thread, He won't last long.

Well this is a vague statement which makes sense, console is similar size and power draw to PS3 Slim but appears to have better ventilation so it goes along with logic.

Where as Microsoft release statements like "unlimited power of the cloud" there's a difference.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned
What did I question that is not allowed? I have my PS4 preorder but I do realize they provided general pr here.

You didn't do anything wrong. Just the fact that you assume everyone here swallows every piece of table scrap Sony gives us while we sniff the shit out of everything Microsoft hands down is extremely disingenuous.

Also, what do you mean they provide PR here? There isn't a single active Sony PR rep posting on NeoGAF at all...there are currently 2 major figures in Microsoft PR posting here though. Unless you mean the piece in the OP--might have misunderstood ya.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I won't believe either the XBO or the PS4 is a quiet console until I hear them for myself.

Also, what do you mean they provide PR here? There isn't a single active Sony PR rep posting on NeoGAF at all...there are currently 2 major figures in Microsoft PR posting here though. Unless you mean the piece in the OP--might have misunderstood ya.

This does not bother me. I wished Sont would step in too.

spwolf

What did I question that is not allowed? I have my PS4 preorder and I am excited I too, but I do realize they provided general pr here.

Of course you have PS4 pre-ordered, everyone does!

And there is no Sony PR people here.

As to your question, you want to know "decibel levels" of PS4, to be sure that Sony isnt spreading FUD?

What is the "official" "decibel level" of PS3? PS2? PS1? I have no idea, nobody does. It is nothing that gets officially stated for gaming console.

Someone interviewed Sony tech head in Japan about how quiet is the PS4 and he replied that it is quieter than PS3 in general, except for blu-ray drive which spins faster, makes more noise. I dont see exactly what needs to be "questioned" there.

What did I question that is not allowed? I have my PS4 preorder and I am excited I too, but I do realize they provided general pr here.

Go look back at the Xbox threads when they talked about noise levels and see how many people cried wolf.

Read between the lines. People are skeptical about MS when they're saying disingenuous stuff like implying PS4 is unbalanced, but generally people didn't doubt it when they said their console will be very quiet.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned
This does not bother me. I wished Sont would step in too.

Ya maybe. But Sony doesn't have nearly as much to clean up as MS does--it's why they're being so aggressive by reaching out and posting here. You haven't seen big MS guys reaching out to us here on NeoGAF in this quantity before.

Sony is gonna do Sony and continue to answer questions via Twitter through Shu and provide blog posts as time goes on leading to launch.

USC-fan

Banned

Thats not a question and it not what people are reacting to....

As someone that been on this forum since the last console launch i think its funny the narrative that neogaf=sonyland or some nonsense like that some new jr member are pushing. Just go back and look at the ps3 threads from e3 2006 and see how people acted to sony back then. MS seem to made huge mistakes with launching the xbone and people try to paint the picture that the hard core gamers are just "the biased."

Neogaf is the biggest gaming forum on the internet and you are painting everyone with the same brush. Guess that truth is easier to believe than that MS mistakes have turn the tables with gamers.

Its really just silly.... but this is off topic.

There is no distinction, Microsoft never said (in my recollection) that the day one update was needed to "turn off DRM". That was just people jumping to conclusions. They just said that once you update the console's OS there will be no need to ever connect to the Internet after that.

That comes from a misunderstanding. It was reported that there would be needed a day one patch to remove drm but MS issue a statement later to clear up the confusion.

Microsoft clarifies that the planned day-one Xbox One update, which Whitten told me, will "complete some of the software that won’t be there," is actually not a result of today's DRM policy change. Rather, it was always planned and will simply be required for playing off-line, among other things. Not a patch, they say. But, yes, your new Xbox console would have to connect online once in order to do the things Microsoft described today. And then you can keep it offline and play games without re-connecting to the Internet forever.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-drm-reversal-cuts-features-requires-one-time-514419715

nib95

Banned
Whether the OS that's ships with PS4 is in a state to just play games has to be clarified.

Some hilarious shit from some of these new juniors, I must say.

Sony must clarify that the PS4 plays games people. Oh and don't believe what they say about the noise unless they provide decibel level data, because we've had those from PR for all the consoles in the past and present. You heard it here.

Ridiculous.

jaypah

MS made a lot of mistakes so the climate here right now seems Pro-Sony. Does it lead to dog-piles, shit posts and general derailing of threads before they can get off the ground? Yes, but that's par for the course. There's always a "whipping boy" and right now it's MS. If it affects you then you have too much invested in this. Regardless you can't blame anyone but MS. Consumers react to bad messaging and MS has had that on lock so far.

On topic, I'd really like an idea of the loudness of both consoles during heavy gaming sessions. If the PS4 is really quiet then hats off for having the trifecta of a small, powerful and quiet design.

Orbis

Some hilarious shit from some of these new juniors, I must say.

Sony must clarify that the PS4 plays games people. Oh and don't believe what they say about the noise unless they provide decibel level data, because we've had those from PR for all the consoles in the past and present. You heard it here.

Ridiculous.
The latter comment is fair, some people do find that Sony are somewhat given a bit of a free pass with what they say when compared to MS; I don't necessarily agree with it but it's nothing to call someone out for being a junior about.

But yes the first thing you quoted was baffling to say the least.

nib95

Banned
The latter comment is fair, some people do find that Sony are somewhat given a bit of a free pass with what they say when compared to MS; I don't necessarily agree with it but it's nothing to call someone out for being a junior about.

But yes the first thing you quoted was baffling to say the least.

It's not fair given the context at all. Were people sceptical when Microsoft said the Xbox One would be very quiet? No. They just said it ought to be given how big it is and given it's large external PSU.

With other particular facets (specs, cloud, day one updates, services, yields etc), the scepticism is Microsoft's own doing. They made their bed with all the misinformation, lies, PR fluff, mixed messaging, double speak, intellectual dishonesty, constant 180's, reactionary policies etc, and now they're laying in it. People have every right to be more sceptical of Microsoft compared to Sony right now. Going in to the new generation, the messaging and general delivery of information and facts couldn't be more different between the two companies.

I'm not going to go dig up everything Microsoft has said, but right here in this very topic there is a perfect example of why people question what Microsoft says.

Microsoft clarifies that the planned day-one Xbox One update, which Whitten told me, will "complete some of the software that won’t be there," is actually not a result of today's DRM policy change. Rather, it was always planned and will simply be required for playing off-line, among other things. Not a patch, they say. But, yes, your new Xbox console would have to connect online once in order to do the things Microsoft described today. And then you can keep it offline and play games without re-connecting to the Internet forever.

Pain

Banned

Microsofts PR is generally being defensive and putting a spin to everything.

This info doesn't come from Sony at all so.....

Pain

Banned
You know I never really had a problem with noise from my PS3. Maybe because it's usually placed a good distance from where I sit.

That doesn't seem so bad. I'm going to start counting now and it will be here in no time. 1, 2, 3...
Noise level on the OG slim isn't noticeable to me. If it ever gets loud it'll be during gameplay in a hot room.

New002

MS made a lot of mistakes so the climate here right now seems Pro-Sony. Does it lead to dog-piles, shit posts and general derailing of threads before they can get off the ground? Yes, but that's par for the course. There's always a "whipping boy" and right now it's MS. If it affects you then you have too much invested in this. Regardless you can't blame anyone but MS. Consumers react to bad messaging and MS has had that on lock so far.

On topic, I'd really like an idea of the loudness of both consoles during heavy gaming sessions. If the PS4 is really quiet then hats off for having the trifecta of a small, powerful and quiet design.

I think a lot of people have a lot invested in these consoles. I think that's because there are obviously a lot of people here that are very passionate about video games, and a downside to that passion is that it's going to lead to some of the things you mentioned. It can certainly be disheartening to come in and see your console of choice being walked on day after day, for whatever reason(s), but if that's the climate then you just try and brush it off and offer level-headed responses/feedback and hope others do the same, or you stay out of it. Heck, I've got an Xbox One preorder AND I was pretty excited about the original vision. It's like walking on eggshells :p Console launches can be a nasty thing.

Also, do we really need to do the whole discredit people's comments because they are a Junior thing? I have seen nonsense posted from Juniors and Members alike. I know it's a forum and it's typically how things go but it always seems so silly.

Anyways, back to on topic discussion...I definitely agree with you about the PS4. If Sony figured out how to make this thing run near silent with the dimensions and power of the console being what they are then that is very impressive. I didn't really question the notion of the Xbox One console being quiet due to the ventilation, size and external power supply.. I figured those were trade-offs they had to make to allow the console to run quieter and cooler. So yeah...if the PS4 can pull off a similar level of quietness without having to make those trade-offs then that's awesome. I just hope these consoles hold up. This is my first time jumping in at the start of a gen and this past gen has me a little worried.

qream

It'll be nice when the consoles have finally launched, and neogaf stops getting carpet bombed by marketing types.

Surely all of us Juniors can't be 'marketing types" ;-)

I just love video games but never new NeoGaf existed until a few months ago.
Until recently, the only place I got my news from were youtube channels, review sites and reddit.

Also, do we really need to do the whole discredit people's comments because they are a Junior thing? I have seen nonsense posted from Juniors and Members alike. I know it's a forum and it's typically how things go but it always seems so silly.
Agreed. GAF is not one giant entity with one opinion, and neither are Juniors.

I have a Slim PS3 now and rarely ever notice it's sound while gaming, so I'll be happy if the PS4 is roughly the same sound-wise. I'm also excited about the prospect of customizing my PS4... although I doubt it'll be the way I'm hoping for.

Are we forgetting when Mr Penello started posting here many gaffers demanded that the Gaf administrators remove his title as "Microsoft PR"? It goes both ways and it's not Gaf in general so that's not fair to assume everyone is a mindless fanboy

Good to hear about the fan and the stepless speed control for the fan

A little disappointed to hear

Since the Blu-Ray player is 6x instead of 2x in speed (like the one on the PS3 was) the initial spinning noise is actually louder, but that will be countered by using the hard disk drive.

Although the mention that Sony is looking to add 4K support in the future is great

I still find the PS3 to be a really good blu ray player even after all these years thanks in part to all the updates

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
"Quite a few" of the population of NeoGAF really don't like generalizations, huh?

Cooling is fine and all, and I'm sure the XB1 mega giant ultra fan and the strange exoctic sony hardware genius's fan, will both be super quiet. But, the world doesn't have a %100 chance of exploding if they don't.
Yes it does
How long does it usually take from announcement to teardown? Or does that happen closer to launch? Or a day after? I want to see the insides of these things.

Quieter than which version of the PS3?

>.> This means nothing to me as a generic statement. He could be referring to launch PS3's and comparing them to launch PS4's.....

demolitio

Somehow double posted so I'm just going to add something more meaningful...my almighty opinion.

I think as long as the disk drive isn't going constantly, the PS4 is going to be surprisingly silent. At any rate, I at least don't expect it to be louder than current consoles so we can only go down (in decibels) from here.

DoctorZ

My biggest fear with the PS4 is that early adopters will be hosed somehow and after the 360 I'm skeptical of any new console release. I have to believe that after the 360 launch every console maker knows the stakes and something on that scale won't happen again. With how small the PS4 is in comparison to the XB1 and even the PS3 I'm still a bit skeptical that it will get cooled as well as it needs to in order to have a long full life. I'm jumping in day one regardless though so I hope its a non-issue.

SHADES

Whether the OS that's ships with PS4 is in a state to just play games has to be clarified. But it's not shipping with the OS. Both companies realize that you can't have your software schedule impact your hardware schedule because the former is more time sensitive.

Wow, so much wrong with this post.

I don't get this. My launch Phat is really quiet even during gameplay. My Slim (not super-slim) gets really fucking loud and annoying during bluray or gameplay.

My launch phat is stupid loud if I've been playing a game for a while. The loudest console I've ever owned. So clearly YMMV.

AllenShrz

isn't the super slim actually louder than the slim?

As an owner of the 3 ps3 models, when the PS3 super slim access the drive it is louder than the slim but thats about it, when is not spinning fast or accessing different sectors of the disc is quieter than the slim.

All the 3 consoles are quite, well the first not so much but not by a lot, yet again I take care of the fans.

DSveno

Banned
It'll be nice when the consoles have finally launched, and neogaf stops getting carpet bombed by marketing types.

C'mon. Not like everyone who joined recently are those type of members.

If the PS3 slim is in any indication, I don't see why would we be worry about PS4's noise level and power consumption.

*If your going to make such a sweeping generalization, and then add this little doozy, you should have the chops to back it up with evidence, otherwise face the consequence of deliberately spreading FUD...

Top Bottom