• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New job: Manager and co-workers already hate me (GAF hates me too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
If you want to keep wearing suits, give them a reason to. Come in next friday with some daisy dukes on and a yellow-stained wife beater.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
NintendosBooger said:
If it's really DDF, then why do they prohibit employees from wearing sweats and shorts, even on Fridays? I mean, why stop with jeans?

And it's only a matter of time before they start marrying goats too.

eznark

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
If it's really DDF, then why do they prohibit employees from wearing sweats and shorts, even on Fridays? I mean, why stop with jeans?

Fuck you guys and fuck your suggestions. I'm not letting anyone tell me, either directly or indirectly, to dress to their level.

Oh yeah, you're a real Johnny Strabler.

seanoff

actively trying to make your co-workers look bad AND then griping about it - FUCK ME

you can't survive without them, and it will be the same at EVERY JOB. you act like a dick because of some ridiculous reason.

wear jeans, and reasonable shirt, decent but not dress shoes. play it up a bit, wear your good casual clothes.

and YES you are being a complete arsehole and your manager had every reason to give you a smashing. apologise and get into casual fridays.

you sound like a pretentious tool. good luck with work with that attitude.

Amon37

LCfiner said:
Yeah, you sound like a snob "ooh, look at me. i dress professionally". who gives a fuck? your coworkers?

impress them with your work, not your fucking clothes.

I swear, you come off like a huge brat and a condescending asshole.

Basically all of this.

Az

NintendosBooger said:

Fuck you guys and fuck your suggestions. I'm not letting anyone tell me, either directly or indirectly, to dress to their level.

Well, no one is going to complain about how you dress at the unemployment office.

NintendosBooger said:

Have fun kissing brass all the way to the top.

Ogni-XR21

I hate dressing up, when I went to the interview at my current job I did not wear a tie and that was the only thing they did not like about me (I was told by someone I knew in the company). So on my first day I went there all dessed up. Even the CEO told me something like "Oh nice you're wearing a tie today" - but no one else except the higher ups actually wear one to work.
So during the first summer I phased out the tie and suit and now (well for 6 years already) I go to work in jeans and a sweater or a t-shirt (depending on the weather), makes life much more comfortable.

Diablos

gamerecks said:
Unfortunately, many offices are like high schools, with cliques and groups. You do the wrong thing you feel peoples wrath.
Fuck that shit.

Granted, I hate dressing up, so I'd take advantage of dress-down day if I worked at a place that had one. But if someone else doesn't want to, who cares?

What the hell is wrong with people :\

eznark

Banned
I wish I worked with you OP. It's always more fun when there is an obnoxious "I'm better than all of you" prick around to shit on.

You can't beg to be ostracized and then bitch about people hating you.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

Go look up....

participation
team work
asshole
fuck you
don't ask for advice if you can't take the truth
prick
snob

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
NintendosBooger said:

As others have said, you sound like a prick. That elitist attitude shows you're not a team player and don't work well with others.

This thread title is also surprisingly apt. Sometimes I click on a thread because I'm fooled by a vague or misleading thread title. This one... delivers. Would read again. Oh, you might want to start looking for a new job now. That would save a lot of heartache.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
NintendosBooger said:

Wow, look at Mr. Cool.

Are you an idiot?
There's a difference between stuff you wear at home and the gym, and casual dress for work.

Really glad you're gonna be fired soon now.

borgnine said:
By joining this huge faceless corporation you've already sold your soul in the name of making lots of money, but suddenly your James fucking Dean when it comes to conforming to their standards?

cilonen said:
Get progressively more formal every day next week. Smart suit on Monday, three-piece on Tuesday, dinner jacket Wednesday then top hat & tails on Thursday. Then come in on Friday in a red velvet smoking jacket and brogues. You are dressing down, and you'll still look way the fuck more stylish than them.
These made me lol.

Diablos

eznark said:
I wish I worked with you OP. It's always more fun when there is an obnoxious "I'm better than all of you" prick around to shit on.

You can't beg to be ostracized and then bitch about people hating you.
WTF. Are you in ninth grade?

He chose to dress up. It doesn't mean he thinks that he's better than anyone else. If I worked with him and wore jeans and a t-shirt that day, I'd have thought nothing less of him. And I doubt he would've thought anything less of me. Well, unless I jumped on the bandwagon with everyone else and called him out for no reason.

ArtG

Diablos said:

He chose to dress up. It doesn't mean he thinks that he's better than anyone else. If I worked with him and wore jeans and a t-shirt that day, I'd have thought nothing less o him. And I doubt he would've thought anything less of me.

I personally wouldn't have any issue with it either. But if others did, including the manager, then just "dress-down" and don't be a bitch about it.

Besides, from reading the OP's posts on this thread, I'm sure that him not dressing down is just one of a plethora of reasons why his co-workers hate him.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Diablos said:

He chose to dress up. It doesn't mean he thinks that he's better than anyone else. If I worked with him and wore jeans and a t-shirt that day, I'd have thought nothing less of him. And I doubt he would've thought anything less of me. Well, unless I jumped on the bandwagon with everyone else and called him out for no reason.
Did you not read his posts?

And yeah, I think what he's wearing is only one of his problems.
I can tell they dislike him for other reasons too.

Davidion

DarkAngelYuna said:
No dressing down when you can? What kind of fucking freak are you?

Personal style. I'd wear a loose shirt and tie more often if it wasn't for dry-cleaning bills and trying to save money. Any guy with a nice outfit can rock a hot look while not dressing down.

Then again, the OP just revealed himself to be a total condescending asshole. So I guess it doesn't apply to him. :lol

btkadams

Diablos said:

did you not read the OP? he wouldve thought you were a "slack-jawed mongrel."

LCfiner

Ogni-XR21 said:
I hate dressing up, when I went to the interview at my current job I did not wear a tie and that was the only thing they did not like about me (I was told by someone I knew in the company). So on my first day I went there all dessed up. Even the CEO told me something like "Oh nice you're wearing a tie today" - but no one else except the higher ups actually wear one to work.
So during the first summer I phased out the tie and suit and now (well for 6 years already) I go to work in jeans and a sweater or a t-shirt (depending on the weather), makes life much more comfortable.

one of the great things about working in a mech engineering office is the casual dress EVERY day of the week. jeans and t-shits and hoodies, as far as the eye can see. managers will tuck in their shirts and wear dockers. that's about it.

if we meet a customer, we step things up a bit, but that's about it. let the sales reps and marketing peeps worry about wardrobe everyday.

the funny thing is, there's one guy, another engineer schmo like us, who we see walking around in a fucking three piece suit every day. he doesn't work with us, but he's always around. it's so odd. talk about overdressing for the place.

Ceres

Banned
Diablos said:

NintendosBooger said:

NintendosBooger said:
NintendosBooger said:
I'm not letting anyone tell me, either directly or indirectly, to dress to their level.
NintendosBooger said:
I'm not letting anyone tell me to dress to their level.
NintendosBooger said:
to dress to their level.
NintendosBooger said:
to their level.

Nope. Doesn't think he's better than them at all.
and yes, I made that as annoying as possible on purpose

eznark

Banned
Diablos said:

No, I work in an office, with a team. Sometimes we get pizza with mushrooms on it. I fucking hate mushrooms but we're a team, and we're very successful, so I go along with it. You have to pick your battles or else you look like a shit who is only out for themselves.

If you are a shit who is only out for themselves then it is in the best interest of the team to weed that prick out. I have bills to pay, a fully functional and cohesive unit helps me exceed those bills. Some shitty elitist fucking up morale is not good for my wallet.

Plus, everyone hates a smarmy asshole.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
NintendosBooger said:
When both the CEO and the CFO invite me to their next skiing trip, I'll revisit this thread and force feed some of you the finest crow.

Aren't you going to mess up your 3 piece Brooks Brothers when you fall in the snow?

LCfiner

NintendosBooger said:
When both the CEO and the CFO invite me to their next skiing trip, I'll revisit this thread and force feed some of you the finest crow.

I am now bookmarking this thread.

:lol

NintendosBooger said:

:lol :lol :lol

The FINEST of crow, in fact!

Archer

NintendosBooger said:
I'm wondering, however: Am I jeopardizing myself and my job security by not playing along?

If you want to rise in the ranks at the business, yes, play along. Take your tie off, open your collar one or two buttons, and plan for next week. You can still pull the "cool" factor off. Also, note to yourself to discretely ask around about office politics. You wont change the landscape. Either adapt to it or prepare to be an outsider.

eznark

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

Make sure you tattle on the people you work with everyday. And why would you worry about job security if you're the meat in a CEO/CFO sandwich?

Cereal

NintendosBooger said:
:lol I think you mean going to the skating rink with the Regional Manager of your local McDonald's soon as you're fired for being an absolute dick.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
:lol

By doing what? Participating in DDF and kissing ass? Yep, that's how it works. No crow there.

Iksenpets

Banned
Continue wearing the suits on Fridays, but start wearing a tux and top hat all other days. You haven't budged on your suit, but now you're dressing down!

But seriously, that sounds like a really lame, horrible workplace.

Ceres

Banned
LCfiner said:
one of the great things about working in a mech engineering office is the casual dress EVERY day of the week. jeans and t-shits and hoodies, as far as the eye can see. managers will tuck in their shirts and wear dockers. that's about it.

I work in the same field and it's almost the same. We usually wear golf shirts though. I wear a hoodie over it most of the time because I'm always cold. But if you wear a t-shirt no one is really going to say anything. Usually when we see clients we go to them and since our clients are power/plastics/cement plants, it usually involves wearing a bunch of safety equipment anyway.

Firstly, you're making this a big deal when it's not really a big deal. Top brass care more about results than dress style. Being presentable is important, but if you're alienated from the people you're working with, getting results is going to be a lot harder to do. So: just calm down.

And secondly, try a compromise. No tie, no jacket. Good trousers, good shirt. Toe the line between casual and professional, but still lean towards the latter if you think its important to always display this. This way, your co-workers and manager can't really complain or blame you for anything. And you'll still look at least semi-professional.

Yasser

NintendosBooger said:
i'm curious now; where do you work/what do you actually do?

Fei

Awesome thread backfire. Looks like your coworkers, manager, and GAF hate you now.

And if you think that not dressing down on DDFs will take you places.. I have to wonder if you've ever had a real job before.

Ceres

Banned
I've also got another great suggestion for brownnosing through the ranks..... Don't post on GAF while at work. And don't forget to tattle on others using their computers for nonwork related stuff.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
NintendosBooger said:

And when someone posts the news story about the skier who died of hypothermia after deciding to ski in a business suit, we'll know why you haven't posted in a while.

yuna55

Get a nice pair of jeans, wear a nice shirt & bring cookies for everybody so they don't think you're a prick anymore. My jeans are more expensive than my black slacks from Old Navy that I wear the rest of the week, so even when I dress down, I still look nice.

If you're a good employee & a team player, your boss will figure that out on his own. But trying to remind him constantly will make him think you're completely full of yourself. Which, of course, you are. Be more adaptable, personable and flexible, and maybe they'll actually like you there. Fuck. Where's that Debbie Downer jpg when you need it?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom