• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New job: Manager and co-workers already hate me (GAF hates me too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidiSurf

Banned
I'm with op. If he wants to be formal even on DDF then let him be formal. We don't have any dress codes at my work place but I would fucking quit my job if someone would start bitching about what kind of clothes I wear.

KevinRo

op is stupid.

i'm 100% op was the kid everyone wanted to copy homework from in high school but was an asshole and always said 'NOOO'.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Diablos said:
The point I'm trying to make is that this stupid, childish, quite frankly pretentious bullshit shouldn't be a sacrifice in the FIRST PLACE. Don't you get it?

I would hope co-workers are more interested in things that actually matter.

"Sacrifice" at a job means a lot more than if you do/don't want mushrooms on your pizza. Unless you work with a bunch of fucktards. I'm just sayin'.
They're not. Its highschool, right on down to the "cliques" and gossip.

Nester

Does a part of being a professional include posting on GAF when you should be doing some work instead?

Get back to work.

I too am at work, and we don't have dress down Fridays at all. Business casual every day of the week. :(

Diablos

Whatever, this debate could go on forever. I'm so glad my next job will involve working from home a couple days a week and not going to an office with a bunch of fools.

I worked in an office once, and it sucked. But even they didn't care about this kind of stuff. I don't know what planet you guys are on, but where I'm from, if you choose to make "sacrifices" and become a team player, it goes far beyond the trivial stuff discussed in this thread. Unless you work at some shitty retailer (which is to be expected, but is also a far cry from an office job that actually pays, too).

lil smoke

Banned
MidiSurf said:
I'm with op. If he wants to be formal even on DDF then let him be formal. We don't have any dress codes at my work place but I would fucking quit my job if someone would start bitching about what kind of clothes I wear.
Yes. I can't believe there are only 3-4 people in this thread that actually get the point!

What is this fucking high school?

SyNapSe

well, this has been a fun thread. Perhaps, if you didn't have such a high and mighty attitude people wouldn't mind him dressing up so much

eznark

Banned
Diablos said:
Whatever, this debate could go on forever. I'm so glad my next job will involve working from home a couple days a week and not going to an office with a bunch of fools.

I worked in an office once, and it sucked. But even they didn't care about this kind of stuff.

Amen. I'm here for a few more months, just until my house is built, then I am gone.

But like I said, going along to get along is the key to getting out soon.

OP is destined for a life of being the asshole middle manager despised and depressed.

joke post?

you're laying it on a bit thick

Amon37

lil smoke said:
Yes. I can't believe there are only 3-4 people in this thread that actually get the point!

No everyone else who's worked in an office get's the point and the 3-4 other people are oblivious to office politics.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
lil smoke said:

It's not about casual friday, it's about the OP being a weirdo misanthropic butt-kisser. See ski-trip crow derailment for hard proof. Those dogpiling him from the start were the ones with the correct instincts.

OP, you're probably a weirdo and if you want to get ahead, as you claim, you're going to have to do a massive self analysis and probably a major reinvention of yourself. The only path for success with your current attitude is as the next Jack Thompson.

But good luck. I am here to help.

Cheeto

Diablos said:
The point I'm trying to make is that this stupid, childish, quite frankly pretentious bullshit shouldn't be a sacrifice in the FIRST PLACE. Don't you get it?

"Sacrifice" at a job means a lot more than if you do/don't want mushrooms on your pizza. Unless you work with a bunch of fucktards. I'm just sayin'.
So you're agreeing, but still arguing?
Edit: Nevermind left reply window open too long...didn't see future posts.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
MidiSurf said:

You don't get it. This has nothing to do with what clothes the OP is wearing. It's the mountain-sized chip on his shoulder, massive ego, and plans for global domination
by sucking his way to the top (both figuratively and literally)
... that's why he's the object of ridicule IRL and in 4 pages of this thread.

If the OP could just be cool and not piss off those around him, nobody would care that he's dressed up on casual Friday. But all the baggage and that attitude are the real problem.

There's nothing wrong with being a gunner, wanting to achieve career advancement. There's nothing wrong with learning from your superiors to become better at what you do. And yes, on the road to attaining that, there's nothing wrong with trying to impress your superiors - whether it be with presentation or hard work or whatever - but there's no reason to turn into prima donna, like the OP has with his last few posts, over this stuff. Some people just can't stop making drama out of everything, indeed, perhaps a One Tree Hill-type obsession with theatrics? Pretty immature in my books.

Ferrio

Banned
lil smoke said:

Yes, and the op is one of them too. He's dressing up because he has an agenda. No one likes a kiss ass. If you make co-workers look bad because you do a better job than them fine, but if you're going out of your way to make them look bad on trivial shit you're no better than them.

zoku88

NintendosBooger said:
If it's really DDF, then why do they prohibit employees from wearing sweats and shorts, even on Fridays? I mean, why stop with jeans?

Fuck you guys and fuck your suggestions. I'm not letting anyone tell me, either directly or indirectly, to dress to their level.
famous last words at this new job?

btkadams

eznark said:
Amen. I'm here for a few more months, just until my house is built, then I am gone.

But like I said, going along to get along is the key to getting out soon.

OP is destined for a life of being the asshole middle manager despised and depressed.

you're laying it on a bit thick
maybe.. but i was only half serious.

EDIT: i'm almost certain if we were talking about female bosses and a male gaf poster posted he would love to have a sexy ski trip with his boss, you wouldn't have said anything.. but thats a whole other subject thats not really necessary to delve into when this thread has already got enough arguments.

lil smoke

Banned
Ferrio said:
Yes, and the op is one of them too. He's dressing up because he has an agenda. No one likes a kiss ass. If you make co-workers look bad because you do a better job than them fine, but if you're going out of your way to make them look bad on trivial shit you're no better than them.
Yeah the agenda/ass kiss stuff is pretty bad, and too transparent. You gotta be slick about stuff if you want to move up, thats for sure.

Great thread.

MidiSurf

Banned
Eggo said:
You don't get it. This has nothing to do with what clothes the OP is wearing. It's the mountain-sized chip on his shoulder, massive ego, and plans for global domination
by sucking his way to the top (both figuratively and literally)
... that's why he's the object of ridicule IRL and in 4 pages of this thread.

If the OP could just be cool and not piss off those around him, nobody would care that he's dressed up on casual Friday. But all the baggage is the real problem.

This thread was orgianlly about his clothing not anymore.

KevinRo

lil smoke said:

listen to this.

if your job has a certain working environment that everyone is use to, then there is usually good harmony within the workplace. after a while, you and your co-workers can joke with each other, treat each-other like friends/family and even hang out after work.

but ( i know from experience ) when some douche-bag comes along and fucks that shit up, usually things don't run smoothly from there on.

MidiSurf said:
This thread was orgianlly about his clothing not anymore.

I guess i totally mis-read the thread title... oh wait.

lil smoke

Banned
KevinRo said:
listen to this.

if your job has a certain working environment that everyone is use to, then there is usually good harmony within the workplace. after a while, you and your co-workers can joke with each other, treat each-other like friends/family and even hang out after work.

but ( i know from experience ) when some douche-bag comes along and fucks that shit up, usually things don't run smoothly from there on.
I guess I hear you. Our job isn't 'family' like that, so i can't really relate. I come in and mind my business and do my job.

Even if we were like that, I probably wouldn't make such a big deal about a noob coming in with a desire to dress that way he wants. It's kinda childish.

This would be different if it were like... he came in and wanted to turn off the lights cause he likes to work in the dark, but everyone else has always wanted the lights on. That is understandable. Threatening someone's job because he isn't wearing the right fabric is... I don't even have words for this sort of nonsense. we're talking about JOBS. The way people pay rent, eat food, live. It's not some kids game.

seanoff said:
wear jeans, and reasonable shirt, decent but not dress shoes. play it up a bit, wear your good casual clothes.

Fridays I wear nice jeans, a button up shirt, loafers and a brown or black courdoroy blazer depending on my shoes. Nice change of pace from the Monday-Thursday slacks/shirt/tie routine.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Diablos said:

What does anything have to do with how co-workers should act? They shouldn't care how he dresses, but they do. Humans can be petty and small and they don't like others who purposefully distance themselves from others. He's working in an actual office with actual people and should act accordingly.

distantmantra said:
Fridays I wear nice jeans, a button up shirt, loafers and a brown or black courdoroy blazer depending on my shoes. Nice change of pace from the Monday-Thursday slacks/shirt/tie routine.
On weekends, I hear you wear leather chaps. Confirm or deny.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
OP,

Look at your thread title. Deep inside you know you're a douche. You just need to let your conscious and unconscious minds meet. You want to move to the top but you don't even have basic team/people skills. Good luck.

KevinRo

lil smoke said:
I guess I hear you. Our job isn't 'family' like that, so i can't really relate. I come in and mind my business and do my job.

Even if we were like that, I probably wouldn't make such a big deal about a noob coming in with a desire to dress that way he wants. It's kinda childish.

This would be different if it were like... he came in and wanted to turn off the lights cause he likes to work in the dark, but everyone else has always wanted the lights on. That is understandable. Threatening someone's job because he isn't wearing the right fabric is... I don't even have words for this sort of nonsense. we're talking about JOBS. The way people pay rent, eat food, live. It's not some kids game.

look his sense of being 'threatened' is his own retarded thinking.

his job isn't under scrutiny at all. in-fact most people will see him as not doing anything wrong at all. BUT, most people will probably see that their is a discourse between him and his co-workers. over time that animosity becomes more apparent.

no one wants a bad apple in their basket. remember what they ask you in your job interview: "do you work well in a group environment?". they don't ask you that for the heck of it.

malek4980 said:
What does anything have to do with how co-workers should act? They shouldn't care how he dresses, but they do. Humans can be petty and small and they don't like others who purposefully distance themselves from others. He's working in an actual office with actual people and should act accordingly.

On weekends, I hear you wear leather chaps. Confirm or deny.

Vinyl. Leather is too chafing. :D

We miss you, Malek. :-(

bill0527

NintendosBooger said:
When both the CEO and the CFO invite me to their next skiing trip, I'll revisit this thread and force feed some of you the finest crow.

First job ever in the real world - confirmed.

Replicant

It's stupid that your co-workers got angry at you for not following their DDF rule. You're a new guy and certain folly are expected to happen.

But it's stupid that you're being equally thick-headed about it. How hard is it just to wear a jeans and a nice t-shirt? I do it from time to time.

What you didn't tell us if if they told you in a nice way and your reaction. That could be what leading to all of this.

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
distantmantra said:
Vinyl. Leather is too chafing. :D

We miss you, Malek. :-(

I'm not going back until you guys change your draconian dress code.

And I miss you guys, too. Except for Borys :monkey piss

Husker86

NintendosBooger said:
If it's really DDF, then why do they prohibit employees from wearing sweats and shorts, even on Fridays? I mean, why stop with jeans?

Fuck you guys and fuck your suggestions. I'm not letting anyone tell me, either directly or indirectly, to dress to their level.

Well thanks for taking the guesswork out of trying to decide if you really are that big of a douchebag or not.

agrajag

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
Well, started my new office job this week, and I've already been the target of criticism and ridicule from my manager and a few of my co-workers.

Apparently, they take DDF (Dress Down Friday) very seriously, and so when I elected to come to work today in a business outfit (in an attempt to look good to the top brass), my work area was under assault by angered co-workers urging me to dress down on Fridays from now on, or else -- according to them -- the department heads might take notice and dismiss the dumb ritual altogether.

Then my manager stumbles into my spot, concerned that I wasn't being a "team player."

I like wearing a nice shirt, tie, and dress shoes. It's called looking like a professional, and not like some slack-jawed mongrel.

I'm wondering, however: Am I jeopardizing myself and my job security by not playing along?

You should fire everyone, lock the top management out and hunker down and show em all that you can run this ship on your own. Then they surely will respect you.

Soybean

Dressing up is idiotic unless you see customers anyway. I work for a stodgy defense company, but I wrote software for a living, and practically never see the customer. I'll be damned if I have to wear dress pants and nice shoes every day.

Do your job well enough to be irreplaceable (or at least difficult to replace) and nobody will give a shit about your clothing.

That said, your coworkers are definitely being unreasonable. I don't see why 1 person dressing up will threaten their casual Friday. And if it does go away, tell those fuckers to leave the company. I'll leave in a heartbeat if either a.) I'm forced to dress up or b.) GAF is blocked.

Saerk

I'm not sure how you plan to get ahead in the company if your direct Manager hates you. The "top brass" will look for his opinion on your performance before they would even bother to give a personal evaluation. Being a team player is one of the most important parts of the job.

HolyStar

Banned
The OP is a huge drama queen I bet his coworkers calmly explained to him how DDF work. And told him by not doing this he is seperating himself from his group. This shows that the OP can't take any critisim at all.

Dabanton

GunBackfire.gif

Thread backfire.

pirahna1

Apparently everyone on GAF works at an office and gets fucking butthurt when someone comes in looking better than them?

What the fuck is wrong with you douchebags?

Don't dress down. Fuck 'em. Do your own thing and let all these office snobs who bicker about petty shit suck the boss' dick under the table to get their measly two-dollar-an-hour more promotion. You work your mojo with those suits.

Thank god I don't work in an office environment anymore. I'd piss off everyone in the fucking building apparently. My dress down technique was wearing a pair of Vans with my suit. Yeah bitches.

agrajag

Banned
pirahna1 said:
Apparently everyone on GAF works at an office and gets fucking butthurt when someone comes in looking better than them?

Don't dress down. Fuck 'em. Do your own thing and let all these office snobs who bicker about petty shit suck the boss' dick under the table to get their measly two-dollar-an-hour more promotion. You work your mojo with those suits.

Thank god I don't work in an office environment anymore. I'd piss off everyone in the fucking building apparently. My dress down technique was wearing a pair of Vans with my suit. Yeah bitches.

How can I be cool like you?

pirahna1 said:

I think you're confused. The OP is the office snob who wants to suck the big bosses' dicks for a measly two-dollar-an-hour more promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom