• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New job: Manager and co-workers already hate me (GAF hates me too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidiSurf

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
Not really. This was mentioned before but in some states you can fire people just cause you want to.

Didn't know that... Pretty fucked up thing. Don't you have unions to prevent this kind of shit ?

Ferrio

Banned
MidiSurf said:
You have to have good reason to fire somebody and not dressing casually isn't good reason.

There's quite a few states that can fire you for no reason. Also this just puts him on the radar so that people who don't like him will point out every little thing he does wrong and give him no slack.

nyong

Banned
MidiSurf said:
You have to have good reason to fire somebody and not dressing casually isn't good reason. They have to point out that he's not a team player and ignoring DDF doesn't mean you are not a team player. If the DDF isn't mandatory then he is safe.

And we really don't know anything about OP's job so it might even be that you don't have to be a team player to rose up in the ranks.

This is what I was getting at.

A manager has already confronted him about not being a team player, which is never a good sign. There are all sorts of things they can pin on him that have nothing (officially) to do with casual day. His attitude for starters. A willingness to complain to higher management about trivial shit at a brand new job. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to back him up on this.

Look, even I agree that casual day is idiotic. But I have enough common sense to play along and not attract (negative) attention to myself at a new job.

If a company wants to fire someone, they will find ways to do it. People get fired because people "don't like them" all the time, even if the official reason is different.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
MidiSurf said:
Didn't know that... Pretty fucked up thing. Don't you have unions to prevent this kind of shit ?
Unions? In professional business environments? No such thing here.
As I said before Texas is an At Will state which means I could come into work tomorrow and be fired with no cause or reason.

X26 said:
weighing the pros and cons of not doing it, it seems pretty clear you're better off just doing it
This is true. Who is one day a week hurting? Also, if he wants to become a manager someday *shudders* being a team player and having the ability to gel with others is a requirement...or at least it should be.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that OP needs to learn to be a human being before he can learn to lead human beings.

MidiSurf said:

One other supervisor and myself were joking to our boss that we were going to unionize and he said he wanted to see us do it just to see what kind of shit storm that would cause at HQ.

LCfiner

this old thread by the OP made me chuckle.

If you were to open a night-club, would you implement a dress code?

also, this one:

Career-Age: Going back to school

with the best opening line ever, considering the current thread

I've come to the depressing realization that I don't have much in terms of worker skill. I'm an analyst, working for a government sub-contractor in the DC area, and even though the pay is decent, I've come to the conclusion that, with just a good grasp of the English language and no more than a week of training, anyone can do this fucking job.

Obviously, this new job is completely different and way more important

MidiSurf

Banned
captive said:
Unions? In professional business environments? No such thing here.
As I said before Texas is an At Will state which means I could come into work tomorrow and be fired with no cause or reason.

Scary.

KHarvey16

It's really simple. People with work experience in an office environment will tell the OP he's an idiot. The only people who would argue he's right don't work in an office or are their offices version of the OP.

NintendosBooger said:
Well, started my new office job this week, and I've already been the target of criticism and ridicule from my manager and a few of my co-workers.

Apparently, they take DDF (Dress Down Friday) very seriously, and so when I elected to come to work today in a business outfit (in an attempt to look good to the top brass), my work area was under assault by angered co-workers urging me to dress down on Fridays from now on, or else -- according to them -- the department heads might take notice and dismiss the dumb ritual altogether.

Then my manager stumbles into my spot, concerned that I wasn't being a "team player."

I like wearing a nice shirt, tie, and dress shoes. It's called looking like a professional, and not like some slack-jawed mongrel.

I'm wondering, however: Am I jeopardizing myself and my job security by not playing along?
Jacoby01.jpg

EDIT: Six pages and no one quote that avatar of a geek back at him?!?!?! GAF, you're slipping.

You need more flair!

I wouldnt care if someone dressed up like the OP where I work, Id be more pissed that they called me a slack jawed mongrel behind my back. If that person was new, Id go out of my way not to help them.

P.S. I have dress down days, and the CEO and VP's all partake in it. So, are they mongrels too? What about your CEO?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
I like how some of you are gleefully predicting I'll lose my job.

All the higher-ups wear suits regardless of what day it is. If my direct manager comes to me again about this dress down bullshit, all I have to do is walk into any one of their offices and explain to them the situation. I'm sure they'll sympathize being professionally dressed, SUCCESSFUL earners.

A wise man once said, "Don't dress where you are, dress where you want to be." That's rare wisdom you won't get everyday on GAF, folks, so remember it, chums.
Was he as wise and Albert Einstein?

"If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies.... It would be a sad situation if the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it."

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
LCfiner said:

also, this one:

Weirdo confirmed.

OP - you're weird. You should read some books, watch some TV, check out people at work and in bars and on the train. Try to act like them, joke around every now and then. Dress like them. Say the same kinds of things they do. Smile when they smile. Do not scream when taking a shit in the disabled cubicle. Do not ever wear a bow tie on CNN.

On monday, go talk to your manager and say, "Hey, sorry about my dress code meltdown - it's just a habit ingrained into me by my dad. I sure need to loosen up a bit, huh?"

Profit!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
MidiSurf said:
Eh its really not likely to happen.
I mean i guess if you mouthed off to your boss or something.

We had a guy come in from the Geek Squad, and he was a real arrogant idiot. He was a manager at the geek squad and he came in as the lowest guy here. Repeatedly messed things up even after us telling how to do it right. No one liked him, we all ignored him, and after months they were finally getting close to firing him and he quit and found another job.

Hey,

I really, really don't want to show off. I just have been reading this thread. You really don't understand Booger. I work at a publicly traded company that is on those Forbes and Fortune lists. I dress comfortably, much more comfortable than others.

I have received three promotions in three annual reviews and I am a manager now. it's about teamwork, attitude and attendance. Have Good ideas not good clothes.

Ganhyun

lil smoke said:
Yup. Would never fly in HR. Companies are scared shit of lawsuits. However, OP would have to be completely on point at his job.

My company has the clause. It is possible that the supervisor can just say "we don't need you anymore", but he is a new employee and there had to be a reason to hire him in the 1st place. But that rule is not that black and white. There has to be some reason. He has rights!
The thing is, if the company you work for has that clause, they could technically let you go for no reason.

GA has the quit/leave anytime thing. They don't HAVE to have a reason, but usually most companies do use one.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Anerythristic said:
Hey,

I really, really don't want to show off. I just have been reading this thread. You really don't understand Booger. I work at a publicly traded company that is on those Forbes and Fortune lists. I dress comfortably, much more comfortable than others.

I have received three promotions in three annual reviews and I am a manager now. it's about teamwork, attitude and attendance. Have Good ideas not good clothes.
Goes well with me Albert Einstein quote above :D

hc2

Number 39 on the "You know you are in trouble when" list:

39. You have to ask any kind of internet forum for social advice when common sense would do just fine.

Cheeto

OuterWorldVoice said:
Weirdo confirmed.

OP - you're weird. You should read some books, watch some TV, check out people at work and in bars and on the train. Try to act like them, joke around every now and then. Dress like them. Say the same kinds of things they do. Smile when they smile. Do not scream when taking a shit in the disabled cubicle. Do not ever wear a bow tie on CNN.

On monday, go talk to your manager and say, "Hey, sorry about my dress code meltdown - it's just a habit ingrained into me by my dad. I sure need to loosen up a bit, huh?"

Profit!
dexter-morgan.jpg

Uncle

Ether_Snake said:
Sounds like the kind of place that is run by under-performing employees and managers who all hold hands to pretend everything is going fine and shrug all problems under the carpet until the company's CEO trips on it, and then they'll fire you because you're the only one who's actually doing a good job and not just pretending, which would be a threat to them.

I agree. it's up to the OP to save the company. I hope he has a cape in his closet. He really needs to dress up for this one.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Fitting in and being accepted by your peers are the most important things in the world. By wearing a pink shirt your boss and coworkers will think you are some kind of free-thinking anarchist. Don't rock the boat.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Uncle said:
I agree. it's up to the OP to save the company. I hope he has a cape in his closet. He really needs to dress up for this one.

No but I meant that it's a potential sign of the corporate mentality. Those kinds of businesses are shit holes where everyone is trying to protect themselves through PR and asslicking.

Next to you know they'll ask the employees to do speeches on "leadership" and the only right answer will be name dropping your manager's name to the thunderous applause of your Stalinists peers, where everyone is afraid to stop clapping before anyone else.

Maybe, could be a decent place too. But if it's not I'd get the fuck out.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
It's true the OP won't get fired over this. But his coworkers will make every work day feel like Pvt. Pyle from Full Metal Jacket when he gets assaulted by socks filled with bars of soap.

Anerythristic said:
Hey,

Shit. I got promoted to a supervisor after 3 months at a Fortune 35 company and I usually wear jeans and polo shirt. Its not about what you wear. Its what you do. The people under me love having me for a boss because I'm not an asshat. The OP will find it much harder to succeed with such a shitty attitude.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
fallengorn said:
It's true the OP won't get fired over this. But his coworkers will make every work day feel like Pvt. Pyle from Full Metal Jacket when he gets assaulted by socks filled with a bars of soap.

And you don't want to work in such a shit hole. Work where employees are confident enough in their own abilities that they won't feel threatened by the presence of others who are seeking to do a good job first and foremost before trying to make buddies. Heck, I'd be GLAD to know that my peers don't give a fuck about dumb corporate-imposed-sense-of-belonging and instead focus on doing their job, period.

Cyan said:
Assuming the OP is for real... isn't that how you'd describe what he's trying to do? Dressing fancy because he thinks it'll make him look better to the "top brass"?

Yes he did say that, which is dumb.

Ya know, there's always talk about a person and the company having the right fit and it just sounds like the OP and the company are not the right fit. He should really just cut his losses and find an environment that is more suited to him.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Cyan said:
Oh my God. This can't be for real. Joke character/thread?

I'm going to have to go with this.

You not being a team player = less likely to be considered for a promotion, suit or no suit.

jakncoke

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
If it's really DDF, then why do they prohibit employees from wearing sweats and shorts, even on Fridays? I mean, why stop with jeans?

Fuck you guys and fuck your suggestions. I'm not letting anyone tell me, either directly or indirectly, to dress to their level.

Make a thread when you get fired so we can laugh at you for being a douchebag.

railGUN

Banned
jakncoke said:
Make a thread when you get fired so we can laugh at you for being a douchebag.

and for the love of god, take that bluetooth headset out of your ear... YOU DONT EVEN OWN A CELLPHONE!

yuna55

"What would you say... ya do here?"

I went out for 2 hours, came back, and 3 more pages of hilarity. Good job GAF! You're a team player!

EDIT! :lol 1st reply in the Night Club Dress Code thread regarding making a dress code mandatory:

EverSoTredny said:
You would if you're a scenester fruitcake.

MidiSurf said:

Its at will employment, where the business is hiring you as it needs you. You fuck up, as long as they can show justification, you're out.

Unions are the past. I used to work in a professional employees union, but all that really did was keep the worst employees employed, dragging everybody else down with them.

smurfx

get some go again
wow god forbid you actually join in with your co-workers and dress down on fridays. i would hate you too if i worked with you. if you want to impress your bosses then work hard and don't piss everybody off in the office. like it or not you are going to have to work with your co-workers and the last thing you need is them hating you.

GrayFoxPL

OP, can I see your card ? Does it have a watermark?

Oh and don't take your eyes off that coffe cup! Someone might sent you an interesting picture next time you are drinking.

This thread makes me want to watch American Psycho again.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
so_awes said:
do not fold! if you fold then they will step on you forever.

if one of them keep bothering you about it, tell that person you slept with his/her mom.

What if his/her mom's in a coma?

LCfiner said:
Being a huge douche is not "not a reason" in my book :)

:lol

captive said:
Their called At Will states, Texas is one of them.

Thanks, I didn't know the actual term, but I know Tennessee and I believe Mississippi are ones as well.

NintendosBooger said:
All the higher-ups wear suits regardless of what day it is. If my direct manager comes to me again about this dress down bullshit, all I have to do is walk into any one of their offices and explain to them the situation. I'm sure they'll sympathize being professionally dressed, SUCCESSFUL earners.

That would be the worst move to make. Plus you've harped on you attire, but does your work ethic truly standout? I guarantee that if it doesn't and you make that move if that situation occurs, you will be the one out the door. If I was your co-worker, I wouldn't care.

Here's my suggestion which you probably won't follow. Follow the rule for now, but seek to make casual Friday optional. It sounds like it's mandatory. You should get clarification with your direct manager whether it's mandatory or not. You go over that manager's head and that will be the eventual end to your job. I've seen that enough to know in both blue-collar and white-collar jobs.

lil smoke

Banned
Ganhyun said:
The thing is, if the company you work for has that clause, they could technically let you go for no reason.

GA has the quit/leave anytime thing. They don't HAVE to have a reason, but usually most companies do use one.
I have fired assistants before. We wanted to get rid of her for basically no reason... well there were personal reasons, but not apt reason to just fire her. Took months for me and the VP of our division to develop a case. We ended up using "financial decision". HR does not want to fire anyone for no reason. When you are fired you have a confidential meeting with a top HR exec, and there is a review. The employee has to sign a contract that he/she agree to reasons being fired, or employee can hold the contract for lawyer review. It is nearly impossible to up and fire someone for no reason at all. There are people in our division that have been there for years, and upper management want to fire them, but are afraid to because there is no solid basis. Like I said, employees do have some rights.

yuna55

bgassassin said:
Thanks, I didn't know the actual term, but I know Tennessee and I believe Mississippi are ones as well.

Add Missouri to that list.

It sounds harsh, but really it's great! If there's a shitty employee, no real reason, just little annoyances that all add up to shit, managers don't have to try and find a reason to let them go. Which is great for me since I always end up having to pick up the slack AND deal with the employee's bullshit. I don't mind doing extra work, but I hate doing other people's job for them when they're fully capable just lazy. So I'd rather them not even be there at all!

And I've never been fired or even close to fired in my life, so I never have to worry about it. People that get fired at-will are assholes like this guy! Pretty much win-win for good employees and employers.

LCfiner said:

also, this one:

Sometimes you can look at past threads to confirm a poster's joke status. In this case, however, his past threads only seem to confirm that this indeed a real thread.

In which case I feel very, very bad for him.

I can just picture him trotting into the middle of an upper management meeting and saying "I'm sorry to interrupt, but is it a problem for any of you that I'm dressed professionally? Hm? Because these slack-jawed mongrels out here seem to think it's a problem." smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom