• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New job: Manager and co-workers already hate me (GAF hates me too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coverly

This just has to be a joke thread. The bait is so enticing that no wonder a lot of people are biting.

But in the case that this is serious, wow. You have the mental agility of an inanimate rod.

Saerk

New employees are usually on a probationary status, this goes for union and regular employment. They do this so they can fire you easily. Unless your off probation, be a team player.

lil smoke

Banned
Saerk said:
New employees are usually on a probationary status, this goes for union and regular employment. They do this so they can fire you easily. Unless your off probation, be a team player.
This is true. I forgot about that. 3 months usually.

Adagio

NintendosBooger said:
I like how some of you are gleefully predicting I'll lose my job.

All the higher-ups wear suits regardless of what day it is. If my direct manager comes to me again about this dress down bullshit, all I have to do is walk into any one of their offices and explain to them the situation. I'm sure they'll sympathize being professionally dressed, SUCCESSFUL earners.

A wise man once said, "Don't dress where you are, dress where you want to be." That's rare wisdom you won't get everyday on GAF, folks, so remember it, chums.
the higher-ups won't give a slight fuck about your plight

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
NintendosBooger said:
Well, started my new office job this week, and I've already been the target of criticism and ridicule from my manager and a few of my co-workers.

Apparently, they take DDF (Dress Down Friday) very seriously, and so when I elected to come to work today in a business outfit (in an attempt to look good to the top brass), my work area was under assault by angered co-workers urging me to dress down on Fridays from now on, or else -- according to them -- the department heads might take notice and dismiss the dumb ritual altogether.

Then my manager stumbles into my spot, concerned that I wasn't being a "team player."

I like wearing a nice shirt, tie, and dress shoes. It's called looking like a professional, and not like some slack-jawed mongrel.

I'm wondering, however: Am I jeopardizing myself and my job security by not playing along?
joke post? I mean what are you, Joe Friday?

Put it this way: nobody likes a wet blanket. Or a kiss-ass. You're being one or the other, and your attitude makes it apparent it's actually both, and I'm almost sure that it comes out in your attitude.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This has been the thread where most flamed the OP has gotten, i swear to god. And it's been great :lol :lol

Uncle

agrajag said:
I bet it's not just his clothes that are pissing his employees off. He's probably an enormous tool.

He just seems that way because he is on a higher level than the slack-jawed mongrels.

Relix said:
This has been the thread where most flamed the OP has gotten, i swear to god. And it's been great :lol :lol

This reminds me, does anyone have a link to the thread where some guy just said "Hi gaf, I'm new, looking forward to posting here" or something like that and people just flamed the shit out of the guy for no apparent reason? Now that was something.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Relix said:

I can't wait for the inevitable follow-up thread, "I got fired because I wore a suit to work!*"

(*Also I was a total dickwad to my co-workers and manager.)

This has been a great thread.

Guess that Steve Jobs and Bill Gates are clear examples of "slack-jawed mongrels" 'cause they rarely wear suits and ties...

Uncle said:
This reminds me, does anyone have a link to the thread where some guy just said "Hi gaf, I'm new, looking forward to posting here" or something like that and people just flamed the shit out of the guy for no apparent reason? Now that was something.

I think I know the thread you're talking about. Didn't the guy brag about being banned from Gamefaqs or something like that?

VictimOfGrief said:
If you do not make more than $250,000 a year, why the fuck are you wearing a tie?

I make $50,000/year as a school psychologist. I feel that wearing slacks,shirt and a tie helps to convey the professional nature of my job and how serious I take it. However, I also enjoy casual Fridays.

JDSN

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
Well, started my new office job this week, and I've already been the target of criticism and ridicule from my manager and a few of my co-workers.

Apparently, they take DDF (Dress Down Friday) very seriously, and so when I elected to come to work today in a business outfit (in an attempt to look good to the top brass), my work area was under assault by angered co-workers urging me to dress down on Fridays from now on, or else -- according to them -- the department heads might take notice and dismiss the dumb ritual altogether.

Then my manager stumbles into my spot, concerned that I wasn't being a "team player."

I like wearing a nice shirt, tie, and dress shoes. It's called looking like a professional, and not like some slack-jawed mongrel.

I'm wondering, however: Am I jeopardizing myself and my job security by not playing along?

I would have told you to not compromise and dress the way you wanted, but since you are doing it to lick ass just be a good dog and do as they please.

Uncle

echoshifting said:
I think I know the thread you're talking about. Didn't the guy brag about being banned from Gamefaqs or something like that?

I'm not sure. I don't remember that, but that doesn't mean much.

Ganhyun

lil smoke said:
I have fired assistants before. We wanted to get rid of her for basically no reason... well there were personal reasons, but not apt reason to just fire her. Took months for me and the VP of our division to develop a case. We ended up using "financial decision". HR does not want to fire anyone for no reason. When you are fired you have a confidential meeting with a top HR exec, and there is a review. The employee has to sign a contract that he/she agree to reasons being fired, or employee can hold the contract for lawyer review. It is nearly impossible to up and fire someone for no reason at all. There are people in our division that have been there for years, and upper management want to fire them, but are afraid to because there is no solid basis. Like I said, employees do have some rights.

Thats your specific company. But I can understand not wanting to fire someone with no valid reason, but thats the risk you take in an At Will state, the company can fire you for whatever reason, if any, they want, and you cant do anything about it except get unemployment if you qualify.

Ganhyun said:
Thats your specific company. But I can understand not wanting to fire someone with no valid reason, but thats the risk you take in an At Will state, the company can fire you for whatever reason, if any, they want, and you cant do anything about it except get unemployment if you qualify.

This.

No one likes people like the OP and they never last long in hostile environments :)

JayDubya

Banned
You have four days out of the week to dress up to your heart's content. The fifth day, people are sick of dressing up all week. If you're not, then at least recognize that they are, and that includes your manager and all your coworkers.

You gain nothing from pissing all of them off. If you gain anything, a comparison of the net gain and loss is not in your favor.

Wraith

This thread is amazing. On the off chance it started serious(because surely the latest posts have been humor), you will look better to the top brass if you can play well with others than you will be wearing yet another suit on Friday. A large majority of your feedback is going to come from your crew. If they're not saying good things, all of the Kiton suits in the world aren't going to get you promoted.

I wear a tie to work so that when I walk in to McDonald's at lunch, the dude at the counter is like, "Damn! What a dapper gentlemen. I bet he gets promoted to Assistant Managing Coordinator Bloke."

C'mon.

If the OP actually did whine to his higher-ups about this, I imagine two results:

A) Do you honestly think we give a fuck?

B) They will kindly tell him they implemented it to keep morale up, and politely suggest he become more of a team player.

Once either of these things happen they will, at some point in the future while talking to his direct boss, bring the OP up, if they even remember him at all, and ask his direct boss what he thinks of the OP. And at that point, you will be completely fucked, OP, because you are an arrogant fuck who doesn't play well with others, which is VERY BAD in the office environment, you elitist asshole prick.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
NintendosBooger said:
I sound like an elitist because I choose not to observe a new, stupid tradition that presidents and CEOs grudgingly put into place? What competent company boss doesn't want his/her employee to come to work dressed professionally, if not openly at least secretly?

Man. You're a douche bag.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
If I'm ever in an employment situation where this could occur, I think I'll kill myself. OP and his coworkers sound like a miserable pack of cunts.

if GAF required a "dress down" day, you'd have no choice but to do it you jerkass!! and if you are trying to kiss management ass, why don't you do as they say and dress casual on fridays? duh!

evil solrac v3.0 said:
if GAF required a "dress down" day, you'd have no choice but to do it you jerkass!! and if you are trying to kiss management ass, why don't you do as they say and dress casual on fridays? duh!
Seriously! People made comparisons to Dwight but at least he's fucking smart enough to play along with the rules to kiss ass. Jesus.

Exis

Wow this guy fails at a fundamental part of adulthood and modern employment in general- everyone needs to get along sometime.

I dress up more than my co-workers, but it is a bit of my shtick I like dressing up and it makes me feel like I am going to work... but I get along with my coworkers and we cover our backs against management when we have to- and there are times in every job when you have to look out for each other. Making a big deal about casual Fridays just makes nobody cover for when you need it.

As someone that worked his way in mangement it had zero to do with what I dress like and everything to do with earning the respect of my peers and coming up with solutions when not asked. As someone who has hired and fired people before, it is the guy that does not fit in the team that is the weak link.

Strange people can earn stroke on teams and then their strangeness is not a big deal. However if you are not a rockstar and rocking the boat-your out.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
NintendosBooger said:
When both the CEO and the CFO invite me to their next skiing trip, I'll revisit this thread and force feed some of you the finest crow.
die1.jpg

nerbo

NintendosBooger said:
If it's really DDF, then why do they prohibit employees from wearing sweats and shorts, even on Fridays? I mean, why stop with jeans?

Fuck you guys and fuck your suggestions. I'm not letting anyone tell me, either directly or indirectly, to dress to their level.

Wow... You sound like a great guy to work with.

Agent Ghost

aka MAJIKdR46oN
I bet he doesn't even own casual clothes.

It's a job! You have to be a conformist. If you don't like it, start your own business. You could wear all the fucking suits you want. Fuck, you could even wear a clown suit, no one would give a shit.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I wear a suit and tie to work and I actaully like it, but if I was the only guy I'd feel like a tool. Do what makes you feel good, but dont be a kiss ass.

ElyrionX

Uhhh, I don't like to dress down on Fridays either but if you dress up and make your fellow workers look bad, then you're being a complete bitch. You don't try to change your company's corporate culture when you're the lowest on the food chain.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I would have no problem with people on my team dressing up if it was their thing. But if you're dressing up just to impress your boss' boss' boss, then you're being a jackhole.

It's more important that you're judged on the work that you do. According to NintendosBooger, I'm a "mongrel;" dressing in hoodies, t-shirts, jeans, Chucks, etc. But my annual raises and bonuses have been astronomical because I get shit done and make our CMS do things it was never designed to do.

The people with no talent dress to get ahead; the people with talent let their work speak for itself.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Thread title :lol :lol :lol

I wonder how close to real life OP's responses in this thread are. I mean, do you really believe in what you're saying, dude? Really?

firex

Diablos said:
Whatever, this debate could go on forever. I'm so glad my next job will involve working from home a couple days a week and not going to an office with a bunch of fools.

I worked in an office once, and it sucked. But even they didn't care about this kind of stuff. I don't know what planet you guys are on, but where I'm from, if you choose to make "sacrifices" and become a team player, it goes far beyond the trivial stuff discussed in this thread. Unless you work at some shitty retailer (which is to be expected, but is also a far cry from an office job that actually pays, too).
Yeah, sacrifices like having to share space with your retarded ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom