• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lays Chips Flavors appearing in stores: Chicken & Waffles, Sriracha, Garlic Bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadfast

How did people come to mix Waffle with chicken.

Diner in Harlem in the 30's created it for people that would come in like 2-4am after chilling in the jazz clubs all night.

It was too late for dinner and too early for breakfast so they just put the two together and it stuck.

coldvein

Banned
sriracha seems the most straightforward .. but im wondering. how do you make a sriracha flavored chip? dehydrate sriracha and sprinkle the dust in the chips? what is the process

rando14

Has anyone tried them out yet? I've started seeing commercials for them so I'm guessing they should be in stores soon.

Kurtofan

Diner in Harlem in the 30's created it for people that would come in like 2-4am after chilling in the jazz clubs all night.

It was too late for dinner and too early for breakfast so they just put the two together and it stuck.

That's pretty cool, curiously I'd like to try that (not the chips) now, though I'd never find something like that here :(

"omg chicken & waffles WUT?!?!?!"

...you guys really need to get out more.

They are in American big cities in general.

Yeah, you can get it lots of places in denver. I even had it up in a small mountain town. Their other main special is the Shrimp and Grits which is also great.

rdUgR4h.jpg

sriracha seems the most straightforward .. but im wondering. how do you make a sriracha flavored chip? dehydrate sriracha and sprinkle the dust in the chips? what is the process

Out of the three flavors, sriracha is the one you wonder how they can emulate the taste.

alright GAF, I got two out of the three. They didn't have Sriracha unfortunately, I'll have to go back for those.

bPVUpaMl.jpg

So let's get this started:

Chicken and Waffles: Not as bad as that one review said. The smell isn't musky, it doesn't taste moldy, and does get that maple syrup and waffles taste pretty well. It's weird to say the least. It taste pretty good at first, but it has a bit of an odd aftertaste. I'm not really sure if I like them yet or not.

Cheesy Garlic Bread: These taste pretty much like you'd expect. It's as close to a piece of garlic bread as you're going to get in chip form, if you were looking for that. Pretty good overall.

andymcc

Banned
I don't think the chicken and waffle one is as bad as the review makes out, very prominent maple flavor. strange after taste, maybe. the sriracha ones are pretty fantastic though, and taste good with chicken and waffles (a place I eat at puts sriracha in their syrup for chicken and waffles... sorta similar).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I didn't like the Cheesy Garlic Bread chip at all. My wife and I LOVED the Sriracha, though. My friend says Chicken & Waffles is pretty delicious as well.

GCNemesis

Got the Chicken & Waffles and Sriracha chips this past weekend for a party. Didn't get the Garlic Bread.

Chicken & Waffles - Mixed reaction. I and some others liked them, others didn't. Best analogy I heard was: "You know when you have a big breakfast and syrup gets mixed in with sausage? It tastes like that." So if you like that taste and the texture of a potato chip, then you're all set.

Sriracha - Positives all around. Liked the flavor and heat. Probably (and hopefully) the winner of the vote.

Korgill

They should have just done a Waffle and Syrup flavor because that's what it tastes like to me.

Sriracha is okay, I would prefer a stronger flavor then just all that spiciness but I never tried real Sriracha so maybe that's how it is.

No garlic bread here :'(

Ominym

Banned
I tried all three, and despite liking Sriracha I found it to be the worst flavor of the three. Chicken and waffles was mostly just syrup, but on the whole kinda good? Isn't something I'd eat a whole bag of, or buy again. But it was a neat experiment, as I assume Lays just wanted everyone to buy it once.

The garlic bread ones were pretty spot on, and I'd say they have the highest likelihood of staying on after the three are voted on. At least for the fact they probably have the most mainstream appeal. Sort of curious how they got that mildly burt taste you get with garlic bread into the chip.

Philia

I've tried Lay's Cheesy Garlic Bread... its not uh... quite... what I've expected. It tastes like it alright but it doesn't imposes on you like the real thing.

My Stop and Shop had all 3 in the big bags.

I don't feel like getting a huge bag to be disappointed. I want the small single serving 99 cent bags.

mingus

Sriracha didn't taste like sriracha, just mildly spicy.

Chicken & Waffles tasted like chicken and smelled of maple syrup.

Garlic Bread just tasted like sour cream and cheese chips.

Guevara

I didn't like sriracha; too sweet and cloying, not much heat, and left a weird flavor. I'd rather dip plain chips in sriracha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom