• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frito-Lay repeating Lay's "Do Us A Flavor" contest, this time in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Review time.

Garlic Ceasar - not bad. The garlic is there, and the parmesan is certainly there. The parmesan is a bit like the grated Kraft stuff though, so it has a bit of a pungeant quality to it. I don't think I could eat many of these.

Grilled Cheese & Ketchup - wow...what a disappointment. An awful flavor in every way. At first it tasted mildly of ketchup, and then you get this sweet/pungeant mix. It's not pleasant at all.

Maple Moose - not what I expected. It tasted strongly of campfire with a touch of maple. A maple campfire, if you will. Not unpleasant, and quite an interesting flavor. I'm smelling my fingers right now and they still smell of delicious campfire.

Perogie Platter - the safest flavor of the bunch. It tastes very much like a smokey bacon flavor, but with less smoke, and with some onion flavor added to it. It's actually better than smokey bacon. Probably the best flavor of the bunch, but I'd dock a few points for playing it safe.

Maple Moose > Perogie Plater >>> Garlic Ceasar >>>>>>>>>>>>> Grilled Cheese & Ketchup

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ketchup on Kraft Dinner (Kraft macaroni and cheese for the U.S. folk) is another Canadian thing. Hence the line from Barenaked Ladies' If I Had a Million Dollars.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Whenever I see someone put ketchup on things which shouldn't have ketchup (see: eggs, KD) I just have a big urge to slap them.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Whenever I see someone put ketchup on things which shouldn't have ketchup (see: eggs, KD) I just have a big urge to slap them.

I usually do ketchup on KD maybe 1/2 way through my bowl. KD is weird in that as it cools down, it loses all flavor. So when the flavor fades, I add in some ketchup to spice it up again.

TheExodu5

Banned
Posting a friend's review:

1. The maple was very much maple smoked bacon… best flavour I found.

2. The perogie was smoked bacon and onion. It needed sour cream to soften it somewhat… but pretty good.

3. Garlic Ceasar was OK. Interesting mix, but there was something pungent about it to put me off them. Likely stinky parmesan. Not enough synergy between the flavours though.

4. Grilled Cheese and Ketchup was atrocious. Do not eat. I barfed in my mouth and it tasted better.

1. Maple Moose - Best flavor by far... very distinct and actually tastes like a smoky campfire cooked maple... something. Fantastic and could probably eat it nonstop until I explode. 10/10

2. Perogie - Also very good; mild bacon taste with a nice onion touch. Nothing too different from whats currently available but different enough to be its own thing 8/10

3. Creamy Garlic Parmesan - Not too bad; Parmesan and garlic taste is there and with enough "chip dust" it actually pulls off the taste nicely. 7/10

4. Grilled Cheese and Ketchup - This is the taste of instant regret. 1/10

Buffalo wings & blue cheese is probably my favorite.

Knowing this, I can probably trust your reviews on this lol. I love myself some buffalo wing chips from PC.

Review time.

Garlic Ceasar - not bad. The garlic is there, and the parmesan is certainly there. The parmesan is a bit like the grated Kraft stuff though, so it has a bit of a pungeant quality to it. I don't think I could eat many of these.

Grilled Cheese & Ketchup - wow...what a disappointment. An awful flavor in every way. At first it tasted mildly of ketchup, and then you get this sweet/pungeant mix. It's not pleasant at all.

Maple Moose - not what I expected. It tasted strongly of campfire with a touch of maple. A maple campfire, if you will. Not unpleasant, and quite an interesting flavor. I'm smelling my fingers right now and they still smell of delicious campfire.

Perogie Platter - the safest flavor of the bunch. It tastes very much like a smokey bacon flavor, but with less smoke, and with some onion flavor added to it. It's actually better than smokey bacon. Probably the best flavor of the bunch, but I'd dock a few points for playing it safe.

Maple Moose > Perogie Plater >>> Garlic Ceasar >>>>>>>>>>>>> Grilled Cheese & Ketchup

Such a shame on the grilled cheese. I thought the flavor sounded promising. =(

So does the perogie platter actually taste somewhat like perogies? Or should it have been called smoky bacon platter?

Otherwise, I'll probably sample the maple moose chips.

How much regret? Are we talking worse than Newfoundland's horrific Roast Chicken flavoured Lays?

Haven't had the roast chicken flavor but I can't think of anything that could be worse than this. To be fair I only ate like 4 chips... maybe I need to sample an entire bag. For science?

Giard

What? How the hell else are you going to eat it?

With tomato soup or alone. I have never seen anyone eat their grilled cheese with ketchup, maybe because I'm in Quebec.

Went to the closest supermarket (Metro Plus), no chips to be found :(
Has anyone in Quebec found them?

big_z

just got around to trying these chips and I have to say if there was a time I wish I couldn't taste it would have been while trying this hot trash. fucking disgusting, we ended up tossing them all even the dog wouldn't eat the maple moose and it enjoys snacking on shit. maple moose also smells wretched, I rather hot box a dumpster.
there's only been maybe two or three chip flavors in the past that I haven't been able to consume but these are an all time low in chip history. god damn shit fuck.

Dennis

Banned
Just had some more maple moose. So good. If you buy just one flavor, this should be it.

just got around to trying these chips and I have to say if there was a time I wish I couldn't taste it would have been while trying this hot trash. fucking disgusting, we ended up tossing them all even the dog wouldn't eat the maple moose and it enjoys snacking on shit. maple moose also smells wretched, I rather hot box a dumpster.
there's only been maybe two or three chip flavors in the past that I haven't been able to consume but these are an all time low in chip history. god damn shit fuck.

lol

Wasn't too fond of maple moose. Tasted like a bag of nightmares.

Actually, now that I think of it, they taste a lot like maple beans and wieners.

So I tried the Maple Moose and Creamy Garlic Ceaser one.

Maple Moose smells like something thats been smoked (or something on the lines of it), I feel it tastes bad.

Creamy Garlic Ceaser is actually pretty okay, in small doses.

B-Dex

The bag of Maple Moose I tried tasted like burnt. Creamy Garlic Caesar was the clear winner. The other 2 were inoffensive but nothing special.

TimeKillr

I tried them all also.

Maple Moose: Essentially, this tastes like maple ham to me. Exactly the same, and this is what most of my co-workers who tried it felt like it tasted like. I hate maple ham, so... It's not that good to me.

Creamy Caesar: Whatever. It's okay, I guess - it has all the elements, and it's okay. Nothing mindblowing.

Perogy platter: Heh. This pretty much tastes like the Ruffles Loaded Potato Skins flavor. Cheese + Bacon + Onion + Sour Cream. It's okay (though I prefer the Ruffles Sour Cream and Bacon flavor).

Grilled Cheese with Ketchup: OH MY GOODNESS WHO THE HELL THOUGHT OF THAT? IT'S SO GOD DAMN GROSS I HAD TO THROW OUT THE BAG BECAUSE NOBODY WANTED IT AFTER TASTING IT. Seriously, it's incredibly bad. I figure if death had a taste, it wouldn't taste half as bad as this. It's as if some cockroaches stuffed their faces on really pungent cheese, got crushed and got a tiny bit of the ketchup flavor added and bam, on chips. It's so ridiculously disgusting...

Man I bought a bag of the chicken and waffle chips the other day. I got all excited until I actually tried them and the chemical aftertaste ruined it after 3 chips.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I tried them all...

Maple Moose: The worst of the 4. Tasted like burnt hair.

Ketchup and grilled cheese: Not quite as repugnant as the moose, but still awful.

Garlic Ceaser: Not terrible, but not great. Tasted like a very tepid sour cream and onion chip.

Perogi Platter: These were almost flavorless. Inoffensive I suppose, but pointless.

DJ_Lae

Where are they selling these? I haven't seen anywhere, whether we're talking Walmart, Safeway, Superstore.

Is this going to be like Jones' poutine soda where it's not available out west?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Where are they selling these? I haven't seen anywhere, whether we're talking Walmart, Safeway, Superstore.

Is this going to be like Jones' poutine soda where it's not available out west?

I'm in Edmonton, got them at a 7-11.

krae_man

How is there no poutine flavor (or is there one already in Canada)? Also, who puts ketchup on their grilled cheese?

DSC01676.jpg

DJ_Lae

If you're talking the one on 104 st and Jasper, then they definitely have them.

Picked up some Maple Moose, they only had that and Grilled Cheese and Ketchup.

They're...interesting. I'm not getting any maple, though, it's mostly a smoke flavour like they had powdered liquid smoke. Tastes like a charcoal bbq.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom