• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lay's announces 2015 finalists for annual "Do Us A Flavor" contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilby

Maybe they'll make one without canola oil and I can have some cheap chips for once without feeling guilty?
No?
No, of course not.

Has anyone actually found any of these? I'm in Cali and have looked multiple times, havent found one...

Also as a vegeterian it seems like the meat ones are actually made with some meat products. The bacon mac n cheese ones list bacon fat as an ingredient... Not sure why.

zeopower6

I'm really curious to hear how mass-produced truffle flavour works out. Seems like it would be difficult to match. (probably will taste like generic mushroom flavour I guess)

I guess that they will use the same kind of 'flavoring' that most synthetic truffle oils use.

The intense aroma and flavor of truffle oil doesn’t come from actual truffles but a chemical compound that resembles it closely, often marked on the bottle label as “natural flavors.”

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/truffle-oil

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I wonder what atrocities they'll come up with for Canada this year?

Maple Moose tasted like burnt hair. Quite possibly the worst thing I've ever eaten and it managed to win. Of course it's now also discontinued because sanity prevailed.

lcd

I wonder what atrocities they'll come up with for Canada this year?

Maple Moose tasted like burnt hair. Quite possibly the worst thing I've ever eaten and it managed to win. Of course it's now also discontinued because sanity prevailed.

4RJjIJi.jpg

I actually liked Maple Moose, but Perogy Platter should have won it. Creamy Garlic Caesar was good but then I may as well be eating lettuce and not potato chips. Didn't care for Grilled Cheese & Ketchup.

Methos#1975

Tried all but the Truffle Chip one. The Biscuit and Gravy one does taste as you would expect Biscuits and Gravy to taste so its not bad, just weird. The Gyro one taste like the world's worse Sour Cream and Onion chip with a dash of Cucumber. Not good at all. The Reuben I thought tasteless.

shaowebb

I managed to get one of every bag today locally. Impressions below.

1. BISCUITS AND GRAVY-Smell is 100% accurate.
    Texture is that of a normal lays chip. Not oily but not dry. Good couch eatin snack chip. Not a lot of spices.
    Flavor...I don't know what else I expected lol. Its pretty spot on to a good ol' sausage gravy and biscuit breakfast at McDonalds in flavor. Good chip.
  2. TRUFFLE FRIES-Smell is pretty bad...I have a rabbit and it smells like the bedding in its pen.

These ones are ruffled and the texture is good...lots of seasoning on em.

Taste is like a lighter sour cream and onion with a slightly chive or more green onion flavor in there. Good chip honestly but the smell is bad.
  3. REUBEN-Smell is pretty light for a reuben. You can detect some hints of rye and something like a 1000 island in there but its faint.

Texture is good though...pretty nice lays chip and not oily.

Taste is actually a little light though for a reuben. Only the slightest cornbeef flavor and not tangy or salty at all. In no way can you detect any kraut or strong cornbeef overtones. No kraut at all sadly...I had hoped it would be a tangy chip the way dill or salt N Vinegar are, but this one is kind of light. Mainly carried by the taste of rye, thousand island and a light blend of some kind of mellower taste and only a slight cornbeef flavor. Not salty or tangy for those that pile on the kraut and cornbeef in their reuben sandwhiches. Little let down as a reuben fan, but as a chip its not bad. Its in there with the sour cream n onion family of experiences.
  4. GYRO- Smell is pretty darned accurate. Tzatziki is definitely in that smell and there is a light bouillon smell as well...slight undertones of veggie somewhere.

Texture is GODLIKE. Its a kettle cook chip and it has a LOT of spice on it. Also not oily. VERY good texture.

Taste is pretty damned solid all around. This is a gyro alright. The sauce, the hints of the vegetable, beef, its all there. Its not super strong on beef but on reflex I kept expecting a burst of beefy juice goodness because its pretty accurate to the gyro experience. Great chip!

My rankings:

1. Gyro-best all around experience. Good flavor, lots of seasoning , pleasant odor and great texture!
  2. Biscuits and Gravy-Close second. Great smell and taste. Texture isn't as crunchy as I'd like but I'm a kettle cook guy. If you like a normal chip more this one will probably swap in for first place!
  3. Truffle-In spite of a horribly unappealing odor its not super strong and its pretty non invasive to folks near you to eat these. They wont smell em and the flavor and texture are great! Good chip to relax with. Its ruffled so its sturdy enough I'd see it going well with french onion or some other white dip.
  4. Reuben-while tasty its just sort or average all around. It doesn't stand out in any area and it doesn't quite hit Reuben as a flavor fully. If you like the dressing and rye more than the Kraut and cornbeef though in a reuben then this may rank higher for you.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Yum, I'll try those. Ruben sounds like the oddest of the bunch though... something about fake meat flavors; meh.

Finally found these! And got the small bags too, cause I don't really want to eat a bunch (tried it with my wife).

My prediction going into this was:
Biscuits and Gravy > Gryro >>>>>>>> Truffle Fries >>>> Reuben.

I absolutely HATE truffle oil, I'm not a picky eater at all and can pretty much eat anything. But Truffle Oil just does not work with me, makes me gag. SO I had pretty low expectations.

To my surprise, Truffle Fries came out on top! They were very very mild and the wavy was a plus, but they had this nice taste to them.

My final ranking:
Truffle Fries (WHAT?) > Biscuits and Gravy >> Gyro >>>>>>>>>> Feet >>> Reuben.

My god Reuben is gross to me. I used to work at Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights as a scareactor and in our maze we had a rotten meat butcher house section and they would PUMP this scent in that smelled just like that and it was the worst smell ever. These literally smell just like it and taste what the sweat from my mask tasted like after being in the maze for 6 hours getting pumped full of those fumes.

All in all disappointing... I want to try the candian flavors now, they seem WAY better.

PS. Fuck Reuben.

Greektown Gyro was pretty meh, it tasted like a more onion-y Sour Cream & Onion with some cucumber flavor added. Haven't tried the others yet.

Zubz

Banned
My submission was Cajun Shrimp Po'Boy. I still think it sounds better than any of these.

I love the flavor, but I'm not sure if it's best suited for a chip, if only because dried shrimp flavoring usually tastes off. I really love the idea, though; if they could pull it off, I'd be inhaling the suckers.

Reuben definitely looks to be the best in my book, but so long as it's not the biscuits, I'll be happy.

Only tried the Reuben one but liked it more than I expected, definitely get a strong rye flavor with a hint of pastrami aftertaste, but some bites I felt like I was just tasting a generic kind of cheesy flavor powder, that was weird. Will probably check out the rest.

Lunar15

I really like the Biscuits and Gravy ones. I think they nailed the flavor, personally.

Gyro was ok, but maybe a bit too much flavor for me. Yet to try the others.

Also, America is a complete failure because we could have had Chicken and Waffles AND Biscuits and Gravy chips at the same time, but no, they had to go with the fucking cheesy bread. Cheese is almost never a good chip flavor.

Ashodin

I really like the Biscuits and Gravy ones. I think they nailed the flavor, personally.

Gyro was ok, but maybe a bit too much flavor for me. Yet to try the others.

Also, America is a complete failure because we could have had Chicken and Waffles AND Biscuits and Gravy chips at the same time, but no, they had to go with the fucking cheesy bread. Cheese is almost never a good chip flavor.

cheese is fucking terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom