• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lay's "Do Us a Flavor" Potato Chip Contest Finalists Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://kotaku.com/lays-do-us-a-flavor-potato-chip-finalists-announced-se-1606082628

Wavy Mango Salsa
Kettle Cooked Wasabi Ginger
Regular Cheddar Bacon Mac & Cheese
Regular Cappuccino

giphy.gif

I'm kinda boring when it comes to the chips I like. The low salt Lay's are basically all I like from Lay's brand. Mostly just like plain chips or a kettle chip dipped in sour cream.

Wasabi Ginger is likely to be the best tasting of the four.

Keep in mind, these are potato chips. The suggested flavor on the bag is NEVER the flavor you actually get when you eat the chips. Barbecue chips don't taste like any barbecue I've ever had. Sour Cream & Onion DEFINITELY doesn't taste like any similarly flavored potato chip I've ever had. But the flavor I assign to the name "barbecue chips" is a pretty good flavor.

The flavored salt combination they're going to use for "wasabi ginger" is probably going to miss an actual wasabi/ginger blend by a wide margin, but I'm willing to bet whatever Lay's slid into instead is going to be pretty decent tasting.

Bacon Mac & Cheese is probably just going to taste like a saltier, slightly less tangy version of the Cheddar & Sour Cream flavor. It'll be boring, probably.

edit: Man, I would have DEFINITELY bought a bag of the Onion Bhaji ones if they were available.

hqdefault.jpg

Belgium/France?

Haven't seen that one in the Netherlands yet.

But we did get these recently!

dsc3407.jpg

Garlic butter baguette flavour

And oh man, we had Mango & Red Chili about two years ago but that didn't win sadly. It was so good.

Belgium.

Wow that one sounds amazing, worth making a trip north for.

The Lamp

I'm excited and very curious for the cappuccino idea because it reminds me of chocolate flavors, which go very well with saltiness and potato chips.

Mista Koo

Are people seriously hating on ketchup? It's amazing here and probably the most popular. But then again it looks like it's not the same one.

8pEgfiQ.png

Bladenic

Super interested in the wasabi and bacon mac n cheese ones. Mango Salsa is delicious but idk about it as a flavor. Cappuccino sounds awful.

Bacon Mac and Cheese and Mango Salsa are the winners for me. Cappuccino sounds like it would be awful, but I also hate coffee. Have they ever made an Earl Grey flavored chip?

Unpopular opinion time: I really like the Chicken and Waffles flavor from last year. Garlic Bread was okay for a bit but after a while I couldn't take 'em anymore (made me want actual garlic bread), and I don't really care for spicy in general so Sriracha was right out. But despite poor reviews, I really took to the Chicken and Waffles flavor. Somewhat sweet and savory, but salty and zesty at the same time. Presumably tastes nothing like the real thing, but for what it is, I like 'em. Wouldn't have them regularly, but I still tend to buy a bag when they appear once in a blue moon.

As for this set, literally none of them sound like they're for me. Pass.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Bacon Mac n' Cheese sounds good on paper, but it's the kind of flavor that never translates well. It'll just be an obnoxious salty flavor that makes your breath smell like fart.]

Kettle made a fully-loaded baked potato chip that tasted outrageously good/accurate. Strong potato flavor with actual hints of bacon and cheese. For whatever god-awful reason they don't seem to make it anymore.

This being Lays though, yeah it's gonna be dogshit.

nomster

Bump - Just sampled all four. Wasabi is the winner hands down. If bacon mac was a kettle chip it would have been a little closer.

alvmew

I've only tried Wavy Mango Salsa - it definitely tasted like Mango Salsa to me and was quite alright, but the aftertaste was weird. So probably won't eat again.

This is probably a dumb question that I may already know the answer to, but these flavors don't come to Canada, right? :|

The Lamp

Holy shit the cappuccino ones are delicious. Perfect balance of salty and sweet coffee flavor and aroma.

Don't like the Wasabi ginger. I've never liked those flavors and they came out strong on that chip. Definitely felt the Wasabi burn.

I still have to try the bacon cheddar mac & cheese and the mango salsa.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Bought a bag of the Cappuccino ones last week. They were so good I ate the whole bag. So good. I don't know why. They just were. No one else I gave one to cared much for them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom