• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Little King's Story |OT| My little king can't possibly be this cute

krYlon

I think at this point, what's more important for me to know is whether the story/script/humour/metaphors/themes are the same as the Wii version.

Or has there been an overhaul in the narrative to match the new style?

The reviews seem to suggest not.

Astra

Oh man, I forgot all about this game! Loved the Wii version, even though I couldnt finish it due to other obligations getting in the way. Got damn near the end though.
Girls are definitely looking more sexualized. What happened to Fatty Princess? (There was a chunky princess, right?)

Concept17

I've gone over the OP and watched a couple videos and I'm still not sure what this game is exactly. It seems like most the time is spent in towns unlocking new areas and recruiting new people? How much of the game is spent in battles?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Touche.

I liked the story better when Kipling told it.

Sure, it's hardly original but it had great charm and a fantastic sense of humour. This Vita version...doesn't. In this version the complaints about the depiction of a polygamist, bloodthirsty child king might have some merit.

Astra

Sure, it's hardly original but it had great charm and a fantastic sense of humour. This Vita version...doesn't. In this version the complaints about the depiction of a polygamist, bloodthirsty child king might have some merit.

Haha, that's what I loved about the Wii version. Such a cute little king is essentially a tyrannical barbarian, commuting regicide all across the land and stealing women.

Mondriaan

The story in the games is the same, but yet you're still falling all over yourself to say that the cover picture and the images in the story/dialog scenes makes that much of a difference.

Please. My criticism was that they took Kipling's story and made it creepier by sticking a little kid in it and not about being true to the original story.

Ramune

2009:
uh8k4.png

erica16.jpg

3165467588089118472.jpg

rpmurphy

I've gone over the OP and watched a couple videos and I'm still not sure what this game is exactly. It seems like most the time is spent in towns unlocking new areas and recruiting new people? How much of the game is spent in battles?
Most of the game is spent in battles as each area outside of town contains monsters. Your kingdom expands as you defeat the local regions' bosses. There's some amount of town management, but most of this is cosmetic, adding buildings in areas you conquer (which allows you to get more residents and job roles), or managing your troop. It's not really much of a town sim if that's what your impression is. The game is more like a variant of Pikmin.

Ryuukan

Over the years I've wished for sequels or remakes of my favourite entertainment. Just to get another taste of what I loved.

I loved little King's story and the childish cartoony style and they decided to turn it into some sort of hentai? Sweet menstruating christ. Looks like I should be careful what I wish for.

Your post is more offensive than anything Japan can produce.

Most of the game is spent in battles as each area outside of town contains monsters. Your kingdom expands as you defeat the local regions' bosses. There's some amount of town management, but most of this is cosmetic, adding buildings in areas you conquer (which allows you to get more residents and job roles), or managing your troop. It's not really much of a town sim if that's what your impression is. The game is more like a variant of Pikmin.

I never play pikmin so I still don't know what this game is like when people say it's like pikmin...

VICI0US

My hype for this game has sadly been drained

I was really hopeful initially but finding out it's simply a "reimagining" of the wii game, the series creators aren't involved at all, and the completely awful change in art direction just put me off altogether.

I'm glad a game worth playing is coming out on Oct 2. I could never get into the Wii version of this game, but I've been hooked on my Vita lately, so I'll definitely be picking this one up. I just hope they fix the beginning of this game. My problem with the Wii version is that there was very little in the way of a tutorial. It just kind of throws you into the game and says "figure it out", but there are so many systems in place it just became tedious. If they fixed that, I'm really excited for this.

Yuterald

Man, if I owned a Vita I would probably impulse purchase the shit out of this just to see how much of a train wreck it is. The original Little King's Story is one of my favorite games of all time. The overall message and the themes presented in the game were brilliant. The roles each person/boss played were handled incredibly well too. It was a game about growing up and the life/adult experiences that most people encounter. The art style/graphics only emphasized these messages/themes. Now the game looks like every other Natsume-like dating-sim product. You could mistake these characters for a Rune Factory game (no offense to the fans of those games) and that's just not right. The original vision is gone, dead. Anyone who says otherwise completely missed the point of the game.

I believe I said all of this when the Vita version was first announced, but since it's out now I figured I would chime in again. I'm sure the game will still be fun to play because it appears to have improved in the controls/navigation/UI department, etc. but the most IMPORTANT stuff is not there (or at least from what I can tell).

So, any veteran LKS Wii fans going to give this a go? I'd be really curious to hear those impressions!

I believe I said all of this when the Vita version was first announced, but since it's out now I figured I would chime in again. I'm sure the game will still be fun to play because it appears to have improved in the controls/navigation/UI department, etc. but the most IMPORTANT stuff is not there (or at least from what I can tell).

So for you, being fun is not the most important part of a game, got it.

krYlon

The review refers to the game as a sequel. Isn't this essentially a remake?

OK, I think we need clarification on this from those who have played it. I just read both reviews properly and some impressions on gamefaqs and it seems like this is in fact more of a sequel than a remake.

The events in this game occur after the first game. So it's a brand new story.

Can we get a confirmation?

rpmurphy

I never play pikmin so I still don't know what this game is like when people say it's like pikmin...
It's an RTS game where you directly control a single main character and your troops follow you around. Instead of selecting a troop and then clicking a target like you would in a PC RTS game, you "throw" a troop from your queue at the target and it will start doing whatever it's supposed to do.

Yuterald

So for you, being fun is not the most important part of a game, got it.

It depends, dude. This is a special case because it's a spiritual successor/remake/whatever. The original team isn't involved so the original message (which was an incredibly STRONG and MEANINGFUL message) is absent. Sure, the game could be "a fun game to play", but at the end of the day, for me anyway, I would come off of it unfulfilled and disappointed. Now, if the original Wii version never existed I would probably not have any issues with this game because there's nothing (better) to base it off of.

Ultimadrago

Art style looks so much better than the Wii version. Might have to pick this up...

Are there any time based elements? Meaning can I play at my own (usually slow because I love to explore and read everything) pace, or are you constantly up against some kind of time mechanic?

(As far as the first game goes)

No time-based restrictions/deadlines.
You can take your time and explore, gain money, advance and build your kingdom as you please.

OK, I think we need clarification on this from those who have played it. I just read both reviews properly and some impressions on gamefaqs and it seems like this is in fact more of a sequel than a remake.

The events in this game occur after the first game. So it's a brand new story.

Can we get a confirmation?

I apologize. My previous post was typed in a fashion that might have made people believe this was a remake. The trailer calls the old man "FORMER Advisor Howser", he was your "official" Advisor in the first title. Therefore, this game is likely a sequel of the events from the Wii title.

Zhengi

Doesn't look as good as the first, but definitely one of the games I want to get when I pick up a Vita this Christmas. This and Persona 4 get!

randomkid

Slightly more generic artstyle is understating it, I'll just link to this cuz I don't want to ruin the thread further and it feels so spiritually gross haha.

http://blogocio.net/imagenes/imagenes/new-little-kings-story-ps-vita_118243_post.jpg

The original Wii version is still my game of the generation so obviously I wasn't going to approve of the new styling and messaging. Even taking the game on its own terms, the new stuff is still really repellent, but I will probably bite at $20 just to see for myself. Newcomers without any baggage or aesthetic preferences oughtta snap this up instantly though if the core game remains as masterful. Ignore those of us who are depressed about it and just enjoy the mechanics, which look like they're still great fun.

The Hermit

I wonder what the creators think of this version...
The ending of the first game was amazing, really though provoking.

This is my biggest sleeper-hit I've ever played, I think I played it for over 100 hours... And loved it every minute.

Ultimadrago

I wonder what the creators think of this version...
The ending of the first game was amazing, really though provoking.

This is my biggest sleeper-hit I've ever played, I think I played it for over 100 hours... And loved it every minute.

Wow 100 hours is quite a bit! Hah, I think my file is around 70.

No retail no buy from me.

I'm just thankful we're getting this sequel, at all, and especially that we're getting it in the West. The Vita isn't region locked and ebay prices were around 40-50$ with taxes and shipping included, play-asia was about the same too right? You have the option of getting the cart, us Americans are only getting the download though. I'm going download for now.

GJS

I'm interested in this, but I'm not particularly keen on paying £34.99. I'll probably wait it out and pick up some cheaper vita games to start my backlog with.

I'm planning to get this. I started the Wii version years ago but I much prefer to game on handhelds these days. I don't really mind the change in art direction, though the sexualization of the princesses is very unfortunate, to say the least. I just hope it's not 39.99 or something like that.

I'm tempted to import the European version, but I *think* I'll just stick with the digital North American version. I hate cart swapping on the Vita and w/Ragnarok Odyssey, Zero Escape: VLR and Persona 4 coming out in the next two months, I suspect NLKS won't get a lot of play from me for quite some time unless it's permanently on my memory card. Plus, if NLKS doesn't sell very well in North America, the chances of us getting even a digital release for future games like this becomes even slimmer. :-(

Is anyone else unable to find this on the vita store. I've got everything else showing up from today's update but not this. I'm away for 4 days from Saturday and would love to have this and LBPVITA

Astra

I didn't think they were...

I'm mad at you. How dare you pick this monstrosity up?! I'm coming at you!

No retail is disappointing. I may pick this up, depending on the impressions from folks in this thread. It'll be good to see the differences in opinion between those who played the original, and those who haven't.

Top Bottom