• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Little King's Story |OT| My little king can't possibly be this cute

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow. I had no idea this was announced for US release.
No retail is a bummer, but not a deal breaker.
Guess it's time to dust off the Vita.
I don't think I've even actually played anything since Sony sent me my new one (my original died a few months ago...)

ijed

Anything special in the retail version? been delayed here in aus so just gonna grab the dd from psn otherwise

Radius

Is anyone else unable to find this on the vita store. I've got everything else showing up from today's update but not this. I'm away for 4 days from Saturday and would love to have this and LBPVITA

According to the PSN blog the release date is today. Should be available in the afternoon.

I never play pikmin so I still don't know what this game is like when people say it's like pikmin...
Then do yourself a favour and play Pikmin. Maybe you have played Overlord? That one is similar as well.

It's a strategic action game I would say. Instead of battling with your character you use minions. You recruit villagers and assign them different jobs, which you then use to explore the map and ultimately defeat bosses in the different territories of your kingdom.

OK, I think we need clarification on this from those who have played it. I just read both reviews properly and some impressions on gamefaqs and it seems like this is in fact more of a sequel than a remake.

The events in this game occur after the first game. So it's a brand new story.

Can we get a confirmation?
Anyone? I could stomach the art style if it were a new game I guess.

It is a technically a sequel, however I think if you take that mindset into it, you'll be pretty disappointed. It's a new story with new bosses, but the rest is heavily recycled. Thinking of it as a reboot might be more suited.

It is a technically a sequel, however I think if you take that mindset into it, you'll be pretty disappointed. It's a new story with new bosses, but the rest is heavily recycled. Thinking of it as a reboot might be more suited.
Thanks, sounds good enough. Will pick up down the line.

ijed

For a game i dumped almost 200 hrs into i think its definately worth it to have on portable and non eye-bleeding qHD lovliness :)

codhand

I'll ask again, regarding the US version, are the poor framerate issues--that were present in the JP release--still there?

Another review, 7/10, mostly due to the framerate. I'm still getting it. As long as it's not a game breaking thing, I really want this game on my Vita.

bede-x

I'm considering this. I liked Pikmin and Overlord which this seems similar to and the reviews so far are good. Anyone knows which version to go for? I know they're different games in the same franchise, but is there any reason to pick the Wii one instead of this on Vita?

I'm considering this. I liked Pikmin and Overlord which this seems similar to and the reviews so far are good. Anyone knows which version to go for? I know they're different games in the same franchise, but is there any reason to pick the Wii one instead of this on Vita?

The Wii one won't have the framerate issues but this one looks better (the Wii can only look so good) and has post launch DLC, and leaderboards. Although, a lot of people hate the new art style, a lot of us like it. It's up to you really. Also the Wii one will only let you recruit people via the old method, which was kind of annoying and one of the major gripes with the game - the Vita one has touch controls so you can recruit and issue commands much easier.

bede-x

Also the Wii one will only let you recruit people via the old method, which was kind of annoying and one of the major gripes with the game - the Vita one has touch controls so you can recruit and issue commands much easier.

That's certainly something for the plus column, but the framerate issues sounds annoying and the Wii version is cheaper. Vita is very convenient though.

Luckily, getting both is also an option and I'll go with that in this case :) Hopefully it's as good as Pikmin/Overlord.

Yuterald

So, what's the deal with this game? That launch trailer made it out to be a remake/re-imagining. From the little they showed it seems to be the exact same game. The trailer showed the first boss battle too and it's the exact same guy/scenario from the Wii game. Also, the panning around the castle shows some of the surrounding landscape and it looks like it's identically structured. Any Wii vets play through a good portion of this game yet?

On a side note, the trailer music was fucking garbage. Totally generic "rock anime" bullshit. I miss my public domain music and Yoko Shimomura intro piece. =(

Luigi87

So does this have a physical version in North America? As I can't find a single retailer that has it up for pre-order.

So, what's the deal with this game? That launch trailer made it out to be a remake/re-imagining. From the little they showed it seems to be the exact same game. The trailer showed the first boss battle too and it's the exact same guy/scenario from the Wii game. Also, the panning around the castle shows some of the surrounding landscape and it looks like it's identically structured. Any Wii vets play through a good portion of this game yet?

On a side note, the trailer music was fucking garbage. Totally generic "rock anime" bullshit. I miss my public domain music and Yoko Shimomura intro piece. =(

The music in game is like the original - arranged classical music. It won't have stuff like in that trailer. It's a reimagining with some of the same stuff, and even some returning characters, but there is new stuff from what I've seen/been told. Awesome that there's a blog post for it, I'm going to update the OT with some more videos.

And all the online stores listing the retail version for sale today are now all saying it is backordered. Really, what on earth is going on with the retail release of this game?

Without a doubt, get the Wii version.

Those on the fence and not really sure what type of game it is, I found this video on youtube that shows the first half hour of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kRHCxiH5A

I guess it's the second best thing to a demo, which I'm sure we won't get.

Nice find. It has the entire intro though, so I skipped past all of that because I want to see/hear it all myself for the first time. I'd advise against watching it if you don't want having it spoiled.

I'm a bit of an HD whore so it's hard for me to go back to playing games on the Wii, especially with how fond of the Vita I am. Also for those worried about the game losing it's quirky humor, this is a direct quote from that video:

"I am Mr. M. The naked musician.
.... something like that.
It feels great when you feel the music on your skin.
.... something like that."

Anyway, I can't wait for this game! I love strategy/city building type games and this is both. Slowdown isn't game breaking and IMO they can easily patch it later, although they haven't patched the Japanese version yet :\ Maybe if fans complain enough they will, but it doesn't seem like a major problem IMO.

krYlon

Erm, yeah I don't really understand why this would be a $25. If it's anything like the Wii game it will be massive.

Louis

I bought the game today on the Dutch PSN, but the trophies are in japanese. Am I the only one with this problem ?

Mesoian

Man, I'd be lying if I didn't say, "Wow, they kind of really sexed this game up huh?" But then, I don't care that much and I'd still play it. But then, I won't play it because its a VITA exclusive.

Before I drop the cash can anyone confirm the physical "Asia" version that Play-Asia stocks is in English? The info claims it is but it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Before I drop the cash can anyone confirm the physical "Asia" version that Play-Asia stocks is in English? The info claims it is but it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong.
When were they wrong before? Play-Asia is very careful about that.
But that's what all the major import sites and ebay retailers are stating, so I think you're ok.
I'm importing an Asian version as well.

So what is the history of this version?

Why is it on vita now? Isn't Cing not even around anymore? Who made this?

Cing isn't around anymore. This was a licensing deal for Konami. They kept touting the Vita's networking capabilities, it's OLED touch screen, and the PS store allowing for easy DLC additions later.

Also, I was expecting this to be around 30-40$, since it's technically a "full" game, with a full trophy list and everything. Us Americans are getting the shaft though as far as a retail release is concerned, honestly I'm just happy it's even coming out over here at all :p

I'm waiting to update the OT with the digital size because I wanted to make sure there is conformity between the EU and NA regions, but 600 mb or so is great for how much content there is.

Any impression on the EU release?
I'm kinda tempted

I've listed some reviews, all from the EU release. They've been generally positive, user feedback has been pretty good as well. The only gripes people seem to have are the new character designs (in dialogue mostly, in game seems fine) and the framerate dipping out a bit when you have a huge army on screen. The core humor seems to still be there.

Overall though the framerate issues don't seem to be game breaking, just a bit annoying. I'm hoping they patch it later, it's definitely possible to do post launch optimizing.

Top Bottom