• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

Alrus

Ferga said:
I just got a sudden realisation today...

I'm not bat shit crazy about mario kart anymore :|

I'm really excited for this one, but I haven't played Mario Kart since Double Dash, so that might by the reason. (I also really need new games to play on my 3DS... I went through Zelda way too fast :( )

December can't come soon enough...

Edit: Man that video was hilarious !

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Sadly, some of the oft railed against features are back as well, the blue shell in particular. This time, it travels along the ground like in the N64 version, blowing away everything in its path in pursuit of the lead driver. In its final approach, it flies up as in the more recent Kart games, dropping down in an explosion. This incarnation is especially evil. In one of my races, I was hit from behind while in third place. The first two drivers then crossed the finish line while the shell was in its airborne stage. The shell then reversed course in mid-air and came back to hit me again.

f831c.jpg

I like this. You know how its possible to escape a spiny shell in MKWii by using a mushroom at the right time?

How about if that's done in a future game, instead of it missing and hitting the ground, it goes after second place? If second place time their mushroom correctly they avoid it, and so on.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
FyreWulff said:
They should be. The offline tracks were due to glitchiness/desync/latency issues, and it was their first online go-round with Mario Kart.

Since MKWii had them all online (I'm pretty sure), and the added power that the 3DS has (in case it was an issue with the host being able to render the levels and run the network stack at the same time) shouldn't be any reason to have offline courses this time.
Oh yeah, missed this. Thanks.

?oe?oe

Sneaky Gato said:
What. That first one is perhaps one of the most random picks I've ever seen. At least the second one makes kind of sense.

Wiggler was in Mario Power Tennis!

Triton55

NP scan said that they weren't revealing all the playable characters, so there are other unlockable characters we haven't seen yet.
Still though...
Honey Queen
is really weird fucking choice.

I cant wait to participate in or create community tournaments. Also this is the first spotpass feature that really excites me and quite brilliant as I like to do time trials.

Lol, just saw the scans.
Wasnt
queen bee in Mario Galaxy
fucking gigantic?
No, this is not like Bowser, we know that Bowser can change when he wants, but weve never seen this character do it.

Berordn

SpacePirate Ridley said:
No, this is not like Bowser, we know that Bowser can change when he wants, but weve never seen this character do it.
But this is just the third time we've seen her, maybe she can! Still a weird choice, though. I just hope there's a few more characters so she didn't pre-empt anyone good, but we're probably capped at 16. So much for Waluigi.

*Character spoilers*
Queen Bee? I would have preferred one of the standard bees, shame that out of all the galaxy side characters they decided to go with this one, how about one of those wood guys or the long overdue penguin (they could use the red one with the yellow eyebrows for variety sake).
Not that it really matters to me, I've got Shyguy and DK, doubt i'll be moving far away from those two.

Sianos

As usual, it's the wildcards that no one wanted! Come on, if you wanted a
Galaxy side character
there were much better ones.

Meh, at least these are better than Baby Daisy. Hope they didn't exclude Waluigi and Dry Bones for them. :\

MisterHero

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Lol, just saw the scans.
Wasnt
queen bee in Mario Galaxy
fucking gigantic?
So were Petey Piranha and King Boo

this isn't really new

Though Super Mario 3D Land is making me wonder if Small Mario is actually smaller than Baby Mario

Marco1

I am considering buying a red 3DS but does anyone think a revision is incoming or the 3DS will be dead soon?
Thanks.

Boney

Banned
NSQuote said:
As usual, it's the wildcards that no one wanted! Come on, if you wanted a
Galaxy side character
there were much better ones.

Meh, at least these are better than Baby Daisy. Hope they didn't exclude Waluigi and Dry Bones for them. :\
you have no right to diss baby daisy

NO RIGHT!

Marco1 said:
I am considering buying a red 3DS but does anyone think a revision is incoming or the 3DS will be dead soon?
Thanks.
3DS will be dead
in 5 years

Jaded Alyx said:
Hopefully.

But it has Waluigi Pinball so I guess he must be in it unfortunately.

I like Waluigi. His "Soooo good!" in MK Wii was great.

And they still have that stupid Donkey Kong voice they've been using since MK64. D:

Becquerel said:
I like Waluigi. His "Soooo good!" in MK Wii was great.

And they still have that stupid Donkey Kong voice they've been using since MK64. D:
In MK64 DK sounds like...well I can't even describe it, vaguely gorilla like but with a sore throat maybe? they've been using his scooby doo voice since MKDS onwards.

Nocturnowl said:
In MK64 DK sounds like...well I can't even describe it, vaguely gorilla like but with a sore throat maybe? they've been using his scooby doo voice since MKDS onwards.

Well it was like a vine of disgust that grew and grew as the series went on.

fernoca

Marco1 said:
Thanks but has there been any concrete info on the revision?
Nope. :p
Most of the people holding, are doing it based on wishes and hopes; more than actual information. There's only one rumor of a redesign and that rumor only said that they were going to tone down the use of the 3D and probably rebrand it and nothing else. Yet, because of the analog-add-on (that the same site posted the rumor; but came fro a different source) people now expect a redesign with the analog, 4 shoulder buttons, longer battery life...smaller and cheaper than the current model. That could be announced any moment from now...to never.

A redesign is probably in the cards, heck it is expected..but if you're going to hold on it and wait for games you want to play; based on the possibilities of what it might include you could be waiting a long time. So you might as well just get it now, and when the redesign is here, trade it and pay for the rest..if you feel it's worth it. For all we know the redesign could be just a bigger 3DS, with a matte finish, more SD Card/memory...and nothing else.

Marco1

fernoca said:
Nope. :p
Most of the people holding, are doing it based on wishes and hopes; more than actual information. There's only one rumor of a redesign and that rumor only said that they were going to tone down the use of the 3D and probably rebrand it and nothing else. Yet, because of the analog-add-on (that the same site posted the rumor; but came fro a different source) people now expect a redesign with the analog, 4 shoulder buttons, longer battery life...smaller and cheaper than the current model. That could be announced any moment from now...to never.

A redesign is probably in the cards, heck it is expected..but if you're going to hold on it and wait for games you want to play; based on the possibilities of what it might include you could be waiting a long time. So you might as well just get it now, and when the redesign is here, trade it and pay for the rest..if you feel it's worth it. For all we know the redesign could be just a bigger 3DS, with a matte finish, more SD Card/memory...and nothing else.
Thanks, I will purchase a red one tomorrow, don't know why I waited so long to purchase one after trying OOT last month. Loved the 3D effect.

Neiteio

I absolutely LOVE the inclusion of
Wiggler
. I've wanted him in Mario Kart ever since
Mario Power Tennis
. As for
Honey Queen
, I'm sure she will have her fans, and she might be the first female heavyweight, which would be neat. Frankly, all I asked of Nintendo is that they surprised me with some of their character selections (preferably with standalone characters like these, not iterative ones like Baby Daisy), and I got what I asked for. :)

For me, Bowser, Lakitu and
Wiggler
are where it's at. Shy Guy is also a mighty fine addition.

fernoca

Marco1 said:
Thanks, I will purchase a red one tomorrow, don't know why I waited so long to purchase one after trying OOT last month. Loved the 3D effect.
Yeah. ;)
I mean, look at the "redesigned Wii" Nintendo just released last week. It is the exact same size/shape and everything, but lacks GameCube compatibility. So who knows what a new 3DS might include...or might lack.

Enjoy it, play Ocarina of Time, maybe get Mario 3D in 2 weeks, then Mario Kart in December and if a new one is announced, and you feel that stuff added (if any) is worth it; then trade it. Is not like the one you have will stop working that day or maybe you'll find the 3DS with the add-on more comfortable to hold than a redesigned 3DS with it integrated. :p

Branson

I guess I don't understand the point of spoiler tagging a character in a racing game so lol. I'm excited to get this and get my 3DS on again. I still have to beat OoT

FyreWulff

The only way that the
Bee
makes sense is that in gliding mode
she uses her wings instead of any glider wing popping out

JimboJones

FullMetal said:
I like this. You know how its possible to escape a spiny shell in MKWii by using a mushroom at the right time?

How about if that's done in a future game, instead of it missing and hitting the ground, it goes after second place? If second place time their mushroom correctly they avoid it, and so on.

Problem with that though was getting a mushroom in first place isn't that common and even if you do have one, holding onto it for more than a minute is near impossible because a lot of items that hit you cause you to lose your powerups.

Becquerel said:
No, they're
buzzies
god damn it I giggled

Queen Bee
is an absolutely bizarre choice, but at least she's an actual character and another rep from one of my favorite games. Plus at least she isn't Petey, whom just annoyed the shit out of me, while King Boo was a really cool villain in the Luigi's Mansion games who seemed to get hit with an incredibly generic makeover everywhere else. :/

Wiggler's
cool but I still hate how frequently this series just plucks a drone and makes them playable. Why not go for the Paper Mario equivalent of these drones? Hell I think Mario Kart's referenced PM quite a few times at this point. Bowser's flying castle was in the GBA game, Twilight Town is a battle arena in MKDS... Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

Platy

Gravijah said:
i hope this game has
mario

Actualy i went to a wiki to see the pics posted and ...

84VWM.png

you actualy need citation to confirm the presence of these people on a Mario kart

Richie

Nocturnowl said:
*Character spoilers*
Queen Bee? I would have preferred one of the standard bees, shame that out of all the galaxy side characters they decided to go with this one, how about one of those wood guys or the long overdue penguin (they could use the red one with the yellow eyebrows for variety sake).
Not that it really matters to me, I've got Shyguy and DK, doubt i'll be moving far away from those two.

The Chimp or bust.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Anyone think...

Wiggler might transform into a Flutter (or whatever the butterfly version is called) when you glide?

Anyway, I like Wiggler. Awesome to use in Mario Tennis and Baseball. But why did we get two secret characters that are bugs? :/

Top Bottom