• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MARIO MAKER footage from Game Center CX SP at NicoNico Chokaigi 2015 w/ Miyamoto!

TheMoon

As some mentioned in the other Mario Maker thread, this probably deserves its own thread and some new eyeballs.

Miyamoto was there. Arino made four levels and four guests came in (Miyamoto was last) and each had to play one stage. The levels were amazing.

This confirmed that you can make VERY long levels that are also very tall. Plus we saw Goombas that were able to swim (actual swimming, not just walking around under water), red homing Bullet Bills and Bob-ombs that could destroy normally unbreakable blocks (apparently you had to assign them the ability to be destroyed since only a few of them got destroyed, opening a shortcut in one level).

L~A made a full recording of the segment. Watch here! <- video is kill (official upload here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiUOmqQDM_s including a making of, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDlJVUAC9Jw)

untitled-1n5umj.jpg

ohohmhurf.jpg

Also noticed you can have an underwater flag (which you can also swim past). We also now have the sprite for the SMB Fire Piranha Plant.

^aside from new footage overall, we also had some newly revealed enemies/objects/designs as you can see form those quotes.

It's a great watch, if only to see Miyamoto fail at Arino's level :D

Source: http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/s...er-cx-sp-at-niconico-chokaigi-2015-recording/

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If you are remotely interested in 2D Mario then I suggest giving this video a view. It sold me on Mario Maker, and demonstrates how it just might end up being the ultimate 2D Mario experience (through online sharing of user-created levels/courses).

TheMoon

I wanna know the thing Arino said in the prerecorded segment (when he put on that Nintendo jacket) about what Sakamoto told him during an interview once. If someone could translate that brief bit, that'd be swell!

Santar

I just hope people create levels that are actually fun to play rather than try to "break" the engine and create a fps or a rollercoaster ride with cool stuff to watch, like what 90% of the user levels I've tried in littlebig planet.

I wanna know the thing Arino said in the prerecorded segment (when he put on that Nintendo jacket) about what Sakamoto told him during an interview once. If someone could translate that brief bit, that'd be swell!

"It's uncool, so I don't wear it" (in reference to the Nintendo uniform Arino is putting on)

If you want to hear stuff from Sakamoto that actually pertains to game development, the original episode the interview was in is Season 1 Episode 10, lol. I believe it's been subbed.

TheMoon

I just hope people create levels that are actually fun to play rather than try to "break" the engine and create a fps or a rollercoaster ride with cool stuff to watch, like what 90% of the user levels I've tried in littlebig planet.

Since the former is entirely impossible, you should be cool. Expect a lot of "one mistake and you're dead" levels though. Huge pits with one block requiring max jump distance. You'll see a lot of those.

Skyzard

Banned
I kind of wish they waited to release this until their next device, would prefer to have it on a sleek handheld.

Do we know if it's going to have all the assets from the smb games - lack of backgrounds on some of those levels was surprising, maybe they were just high up... Downloading and rating levels/playlists of selected levels possible so we can see find good content easily?

NotLiquid

I love the verticality. I feel like that's gotten rather rare in 2D Mario games as of late and is something I haven't experienced since Super Mario World (and Yoshi's Island I suppose). The bomb stuff at the beginning was also impressing. I'm loving the promise of this.

TheMoon

I kind of wish they waited to release this until their next device, would prefer to have it on a sleek handheld.

Do we know if it's going to have all the assets from the smb games - lack of backgrounds on some of those levels was surprising, maybe they were just high up... Downloading and rating levels/playlists of selected levels possible so we can see find good content easily?

Underground levels don't have backgrounds in SMB.

Skyzard

Banned
Underground levels don't have backgrounds in SMB.

Yeah...you can't mix artwork? Even the water was just a single blue colour, seems a bit lacking, would have been nice to mix a bit maybe. If artwork is locked to whatever game you're using, I wonder if the physics also change? Probably not, might make things a bit tough. Although the article kind of implies maybe:
As you can imagine, this isn&#8217;t quite the most adequate controller for the rather stiff and slippery controls of the very first Super Mario Bros. game!
Or is that because he was straight up playing the original game...

Neiteio

These levels are amazing. Like I said in the other thread, they remind me of Dark Souls where they're full of tricks and traps, but they're fair and don't ruin the pacing once you get a rhythm going. If you're observant and proceed with caution, ready to react at a split second, you can make it through these levels, which makes them more enticing to me than the sadistic mods available online. For example, there are several instances with invisible blocks trolling the player, but they're not overdone, and there are safety nets to catch them when they fall. I like that.

KingV

I wonder if the different tile sets have different physics. The SMB set they are playing here looks like it has the same physics, but the feel definitely changed in SMB3 and World.

TheMoon

Yeah...you can't mix artwork? Even the water was just a single blue colour, seems a bit lacking, would have been nice to mix a bit maybe. If artwork is locked to whatever game you're using, I wonder if the physics also change? Probably not, might make things a bit weird. Although the article kind of implies maybe:

That was pretty clear from the get-go. You switch art styles. All or nothing.

Have checkpoints been confirmed yet?

Nope.

HUELEN10

Damn, this keeps looking better and better. As long as we can play, not create, but play with a Wii Remote and classic controller, this will be GOTY for me.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't believe you can, which is why they wound up making new sprites for objects and enemies that never had an equivalent in those games.

That's decent. I bet the levels would mostly look bad if you could mix and match too, but it might make the older ones look a bit cooler (especially backgrounds).

Ridley327

That's decent. I bet the levels would mostly look bad if you could mix and match too, but it might make the older ones look a bit cooler (especially backgrounds).

It really only impact one tile set, and to be honest, I feel like SMB1 is going to be relatively ignored amongst the community with SMB3 and SMW being options as well.

News to me L~A had all this going on.

Bookmarked his site, suscribed to his YT channel, followed him on twitter, and followed hist site's twitter page.

EDIT: That Mario Maker level looks like so much fun. I love how the crowd was so into it too.

Ridley327

Looking good, does anyone know if it'll be a full priced release or slightly cheaper like Captain Toad?

All the retailers I've seen are listing it for $60, and I'd be surprised if it releases lower than that given how big a title Nintendo is expecting it to be, particularly for being the 30th anniversary.

jaina

I am a little low on time ... can someone please give me the timestamps for the interesting stuff ?

1st level - 31:35
2nd level - 42:10
3rd level (Miyamoto) - 52:27 , 55:55 (completion)

They take several tries though with banter in between, you won't see the whole level on the first try. Arino often needs to help to get them past a tough part.

meppi

Wasn't expecting much from this game, but after looking at this footage it might end up being one of my favourite games of the year! :D

All the retailers I've seen are listing it for $60, and I'd be surprised if it releases lower than that given how big a title Nintendo is expecting it to be, particularly for being the 30th anniversary.

Thanks, I was hoping for $40 but they really seem to have packed this game with content so I'll probably still pick it up.

Neiteio

I'll translate it. I know someone who ate at a Japanese restaurant once, so I'm an expert.

Arino: "So I says to him, 'Saks, you put Samus' secret birthmark there? Can women even get birthmarks there?' And Saks is all like, 'I call it the Bold Hunter's Mark.' And that's when Miyazaki popped out of the bushes and straight-up decked him!"

Sephzilla

So can you set up like a "set" of levels so like I could make a 1-1 and it would go straight to 1-2 after completion?

This looks so good

So can you set up like a "set" of levels so like I could make a 1-1 and it would go straight to 1-2 after completion?

This looks so good

From the last direct it seems like it should do - you set it up that way at least - but I don't think we've ever seen the level progression itself since we're seeing everything from the editing side and not the "published" side.

Top Bottom