• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MARIO MAKER footage from Game Center CX SP at NicoNico Chokaigi 2015 w/ Miyamoto!

One other thing that seemed new was the out of place tree:

2AETWxt.png

So it looks like we could be able to place certain non-interactive background elements ourselves perhaps? Unless they randomly auto-generate on ground tiles

Ridley327

Checkpoints? I doubt the scope of any level is big enough that it would justify having checkpoints, or need it. That also eliminates the challenge. Kind of an weird post as well coming from someone named after IWBTG.

They're a staple in two of the games that are being offered as tile sets, so their omission would be a bit strange if you were wanting to make levels in the same vein.

All the retailers I've seen are listing it for $60, and I'd be surprised if it releases lower than that given how big a title Nintendo is expecting it to be, particularly for being the 30th anniversary.
I don't know what the price will ultimately be, but I find a full $59.99 price very difficult to believe, especially since Nintendo has been experimenting with so many other price points this gen. I'd imagine that the current price at so many other retailers is a placeholder, the same as its December 31st release date as Amazon.

Kouriozan

That was great, I hope to see more people going the multiples or hidden paths in the same level.
1st level had that giant Koopa that can break the bricks.
Second one had a giant Bob-omb which could also break these but it wasn't shown, I think.

Ridley327

I don't know what the price will ultimately be, but I find a full $59.99 price very difficult to believe, especially since Nintendo has been experimenting with so many other price points this gen. I'd imagine that the current price at so many other retailers is a placeholder, the same as its December 31st release date as Amazon.

They've been experimenting with games that don't have the kind of visibility that Mario Maker has gotten already, or even ever had.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Checkpoints? I doubt the scope of any level is big enough that it would justify having checkpoints, or need it. That also eliminates the challenge. Kind of an weird post as well coming from someone named after IWBTG.
I Wanna Be The Guy has checkpoints lol. My post is very fitting.

And the scope of a level can be big enough for checkpoints to suit. Besides if you're going to make a bullshitty ridiculously hard level then well placed checkpoints can keep tbose kind of levels fun without feeling too frustrating due to the perfection required over the course of a long stage. Again, see I Wanna Be The Guy.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
For the record, I so plan on creating IWBTG style levels but obviously based around Mario's moveset. You'll see the need for checkpoints when you see the levels I come up with.

Still not sure how I feel about this.

I think a lot of people will buy this and quickly realize how hard it is to make a decent level, and give up.

There will of course be a handful of people who can churn out great levels on a consistent basis (has sharing levels been officially announced?), but then that diminishes interest in any official titles Nintendo wants to sell later on.

Also, anyone who's really interested has probably tinkered with rom hacks and homebrew stuff already. It kind of feels like something that would have been more timely on the SNES around the Mario Paint era.

That was great, I hope to see more people going the multiples or hidden paths in the same level.
1st level had that giant Koopa that can break the bricks.
Second one had a giant Bob-omb which could also break these but it wasn't shown, I think.

I just hope all the weird assets from mario 3 and mario world have been converted. fishin' boo's, ptooie's, the sun, boo swarms, roto-discs, and some of the platforms whose names I never knew.

also I want to be able to create pipe levels like in SMB3 world 7

There will of course be a handful of people who can churn out great levels on a consistent basis (has sharing levels been officially announced?), but then that diminishes interest in any official titles Nintendo wants to sell later on.

Yes, you can share levels. I believe the creator has to beat the level first before it can be shared to prove that it's beatable. Also, they mentioned that users will be able to rate levels so if you just want to play through the most popular levels and not worry about making stuff yourself, you can.

Also, anyone who's really interested has probably tinkered with rom hacks and homebrew stuff already. It kind of feels like something that would have been more timely on the SNES around the Mario Paint era.

Definitely wouldn't have worked very well on the SNES. No online sharing, harder to control, and limited storage space.

I just hope all the weird assets from mario 3 and mario world have been converted. fishin' boo's, ptooie's, the sun, boo swarms, roto-discs, and some of the platforms whose names I never knew.

also I want to be able to create pipe levels like in SMB3 world 7

I hope rising water is in (like the Mondo level in SMW), not counting on it though.

sgjackson

i was sold on the concept already but this was the video that showed me they got the execution close enough i should be there day one for this.

Man this looks great. The camera seems sort of slow in following vertical movement, though.
It's not "slow", it's doing what it's doing (going up only when you're grounded) intentionally, presumably to not mess up with SMB1 visual design. Rayman 1 did the same thing, though not to such degree.

jariw

Yes, you can share levels. I believe the creator has to beat the level first before it can be shared to prove that it's beatable. Also, they mentioned that users will be able to rate levels so if you just want to play through the most popular levels and not worry about making stuff yourself, you can.

There'll most likely be quite a few standard levels/campaigns to play included in the package as well, since Nintendo's other Wii U titles with level editors already have that feature.

Well it's visibly the NSMB physics in the videos

Ah. I can feel physics differences really easily when playing, but I can't really seem them in a video.

If they're using NSMB physics I don't have a problem with that—I know not everyone agrees but I really like them. I was mostly worried that they were going to use some kind of new+old hybrid.

Still not sure how I feel about this.

I think a lot of people will buy this and quickly realize how hard it is to make a decent level, and give up.

I think Nintendo could be really sucessful if they planned this as I believe they have. If they knew that this game would diminish demand for a future NSMB title they could instead create future NSMB titles using this engine, and release them as DLC for people that have Mario Maker and as a standalone for people that don't. This way people that buy the standalone can create new levels for it using the Mario Maker backbone, but only have access to the assets within that particular game. The people that own Mario Maker can then access the assets for that game, but also mix and match with their other Mario Maker assets effectively making the new game bonus content added to their disposal.

I am loving how trolly and creative the levels can be, especially for making puzzle-like situations.

Also, Miyamoto praising the sun soon after he sits down at the table needs to be a .gif.

you sure?

Not 100% of course I haven't played it, but the friction and air control seems NSMB to me.

Also I don't hate NSMB physics (actually I think they're good) it's the fact we don't have the originals that bothers me. I see little point in cashing in my nostalgia for smb1 and such while it controls totally differently.

MisterHero

miyamoto stinks at super mario bros? discredited forever!

Seriously though that swimming goomba was hilarious

This looks absolutely fantastic. The best showing of Mario Maker's possibilities thus far. Most of my concerns re level size and complexity seem to have been addressed in this showing, so it'd be nice to get an authoritative stance on physics now. GOTY 2015?

It's certainly the most charming level editor ever created.

Also it... looks like the NES SMB levels has the same physics for Mario as NES SMB, doesn't it? I hope that means that each "game type" has its own set of physics to play with. I also like how many animation touches they added to the NES SMB style - things like the spinning Koopa shells go a long way towards making it feel like a proper "remaster" then just a ported level editor.

I'm casually optimistic for the whole thing, I'll admit.

I Wanna Be The Guy has checkpoints lol. My post is very fitting.

And the scope of a level can be big enough for checkpoints to suit. Besides if you're going to make a bullshitty ridiculously hard level then well placed checkpoints can keep tbose kind of levels fun without feeling too frustrating due to the perfection required over the course of a long stage. Again, see I Wanna Be The Guy.

They're a staple in two of the games that are being offered as tile sets, so their omission would be a bit strange if you were wanting to make levels in the same vein.

Sorry guys I opened my mouth before watching and holy shit that level around 35:00 has my so excited. I didn't think you could make levels that big, although I still don't think checkpoints are that much necessary. This video is so hilarious as well. Will be watching the rest.

It's certainly the most charming level editor ever created.

Also it... looks like the NES SMB levels has the same physics for Mario as NES SMB, doesn't it? I hope that means that each "game type" has its own set of physics to play with. I also like how many animation touches they added to the NES SMB style - things like the spinning Koopa shells go a long way towards making it feel like a proper "remaster" then just a ported level editor.

I'm casually optimistic for the whole thing, I'll admit.

Not at all. you cannot shift back your momentum in the air this much in smb1. It's exactly like the modern marios movement wise but visually the sprite don't actually flip the other direction (like how it visually was in smb1).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's hard to tell in just a video, I suppose. It looks like SMB physics to me, but I'd like to be proven wrong. On the other hand, though, NSMB physics feels kinda pointless to me if you're not going to also make sure the player can triple jump, wall jump, ground pound and the like. At the very least, it looks like it's maybe a little more responsive and less slippery than SMB is?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's hard to tell in just a video, I suppose. It looks like SMB physics to me, but I'd like to be proven wrong. On the other hand, though, NSMB physics feels kinda pointless to me if you're not going to also make sure the player can triple jump, wall jump, ground pound and the like. At the very least, it looks like it's maybe a little more responsive and less slippery than SMB is?
Here's what I assume. Regardless of he style you use the jump distance, weight etc will all be the same and NSMB like. However when playing tbe NSMB style you're simply given acess to a bigger moveset that includes wall jump, ground pound etc.

Skyzard

Banned
I think the first video with the dance mat was actually SMB. Not a SMB level in Mario Maker, which is why the physics looked like that. I think anyway.

It really only impact one tile set, and to be honest, I feel like SMB1 is going to be relatively ignored amongst the community with SMB3 and SMW being options as well.

Yeah, good point.

Do we know if there will be community sharing? Not just swapping codes with friends? Hopefully GAF can help if it's just swapping codes but it might be hard to get exposure to a lot of decent content still.

TheMoon

Do we know if there will be community sharing? Not just swapping codes with friends? Hopefully GAF can help if it's just swapping codes but it might be hard to get exposure to a lot of decent content still.

We don't know anything other than that we can share stuff online.

jaina

My guess is that they just lift the sharing systems from Pushmo World or Tipping Stars, both are world-wide and work well AFAIK.

Top Bottom