• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MARIO MAKER footage from Game Center CX SP at NicoNico Chokaigi 2015 w/ Miyamoto!

I think the first video with the dance mat was actually SMB. Not a SMB level in Mario Maker, which is why the physics looked like that. I think anyway.

Yes - mario maker had an introduction half way through, the first half was part of the SMB 30th celebration. You can tell by the ui even (placement of coin score etc)

jariw

My guess is that they just lift the sharing systems from Pushmo World or Tipping Stars, both are world-wide and work well AFAIK.

Yes, I feel the Tipping Stars sharing system feels a bit like a test project for Mario Maker. However, one other thing that will apparently also be included is a feature where you can see how other people played your courses. (According to Miyamoto in the iJustine interview.)

Also, one thing that Tezuka wanted to address in the sharing system of Mario Maker was that newly published courses shouldn't get pushed away by older favorited courses:
There is a challenge there, though. If you create something and upload it somewhere, of course you want as many people as possible to see it. Naturally, the most popular courses will be seen and played by others, but those that don't have that top spot may not attract the same number of eyeballs for people looking at them.
Of course, it's nice to have rankings and the like, but we're trying to think of ways to ensure that everybody's creations get seen by someone. That's what I'm working on now.

TheMoon

Lol, the arrow of coin which lead to death on the 2nd level was really mean

That should only work on inexperienced players, though. Once you know the rules of the game (no invisible warp pipes or hidden extra screens) you won't ever fall for something like that. At least not underwater where you can course correct and swim back up. If you made this on a dry land level and, say put two downward pointing coin arrows next to each other and you have to pick one to follow and do a blind jump into the unknown, then that would work :D

Simbabbad

My guess is that they just lift the sharing systems from Pushmo World or Tipping Stars, both are world-wide and work well AFAIK.
The systems are completely different in both games, and the one in Pushmo World basically killed the community in, like, a week. It was a real waste, BTW.
Tipping Stars also has issues, but it's because of its puzzle game status and the unlocking of content through tipping.
It'll probably be very different in Mario Maker.

Lol, the arrow of coin which lead to death on the 2nd level was really mean
It was hilarious.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wow this looks fantastic. Only seen the first level so far and it already seems wicked good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Graphics look like garbage

Don't worry bruh i hook you up

d9xgRA5.jpg

karobit

I haven't re-watched the video since watching live last night, but it seemed like Miyamoto got a 1-Up on Arino's stage in Mario Maker when the counter went to 101 coins, instead of 100. Is that normal for Mario games and I just never noticed? Am I remembering wrong?

jariw

I haven't re-watched the video since watching live last night, but it seemed like Miyamoto got a 1-Up on Arino's stage in Mario Maker when the counter went to 101 coins, instead of 100. Is that normal for Mario games and I just never noticed? Am I remembering wrong?

There's a delay of the 1UP. He takes coin 100 and 101 in succession, but the 1UP text appears at the 100th coin but at the same time as he takes coin 101.

RagnarokX

Looks great. I'm glad missile bills are in the game. Also it was very interesting that they made goombas able to swim underwater.

oti

Banned
Mario Maker will end all video games.
Mario Maker will come out and that's it. No new video games needed. The second crash. Just as the prophecy stated.

jariw

I hope they make it a requirement that you have to be able to beat your own stage before you can upload it.

Hasn't this already been confirmed? In any case, that's the way things works in both Pushmo World and Mario vs. DK: Tipping Stars so it's a pretty safe bet that's the case in Mario Makere as well.

The puzzle like elements displayed in these levels are not that common in the series, there's great potential with this game to create a more "brain" dependant type of progression. In that sense this could bring something new to the series.

The alternate routes implemented in the levels where simply incredible.

I kind of wish they waited to release this until their next device, would prefer to have it on a sleek handheld.
With the new universal and homogeneous design philosophy at Nintendo we shouldn't be surprised if this game was easy to convert to otther platforms. So why wait more to play it?
Still not sure how I feel about this.

It kind of feels like something that would have been more timely on the SNES around the Mario Paint era.
What about things like easy global online level sharing or the fact that it uses one of the strong perks of the touch screen which is content creation? Not to mention there will be an important level filtering with the ranking systems, something like that would have been a lot harder to implement in the SNES days.

Talking about the impact on future 2D Mario titles and their sales, that can easily be countered by Nintendo with the inclusion of new ginmicks in the following games and of course multiplayer which this game lacks.

Damn, those levels were deliciously evil. Swimming Goombas! Mario Maker has really shaped up to be much more interesting than when it was first unveiled.

Ninja Dom

News to me L~A had all this going on.

Bookmarked his site, suscribed to his YT channel, followed him on twitter, and followed hist site's twitter page.

EDIT: That Mario Maker level looks like so much fun. I love how the crowd was so into it too.

Also just discovered that L~A stands for Lite~Agent.

These levels are incredible. I can't wait to get my hands on this to see how well I fare at level creation. I think it's been confirmed but there will be no warp pipe usage in Mario Maker correct?

TheMoon

These levels are incredible. I can't wait to get my hands on this to see how well I fare at level creation. I think it's been confirmed but there will be no warp pipe usage in Mario Maker correct?

It's not confirmed but it hasn't been shown and doesn't make much sense either for what they're going for here.

Top Bottom