• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MARIO MAKER footage from Game Center CX SP at NicoNico Chokaigi 2015 w/ Miyamoto!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is all worthless until game physics and input lag are known.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The laughter in the left corner when the guy in the right corner falls down the pit is absolutely hilarious.

Theorymon

Fingers crossed!

Would be awesome if they did something like they did with WarioWare D.I.Y where they had guest designers make microgames that you could download.

That would be fantastic, especially since I imagine that making good levels isn't going to be as easy as people think! I hope Nintendo provides some levels of their own periodically as well.

I myself am not really confident about my level designing abilities, so while I'm experimenting, I'm tempted to also remake some World e levels from Super Mario Advance 4. Since its REALLY hard to play those levels legitimately (especially since a majority of them were Japan exlusive), I think remaking the ones that are possible (aka none with SMB2 mechanics) should be a worthy endeavor =)

Maybe I'll even remake Super Mario Bros Special stages. I mean, that game was an atrocity, but I wonder if the levels would work with a game engine that was usable controls and physics lol. (I'm aware there is an SMB romhack that has tried this as well).

jholmes

Maybe I'll even remake Super Mario Bros Special stages. I mean, that game was an atrocity, but I wonder if the levels would work with a game engine that was usable controls and physics lol. (I'm aware there is an SMB romhack that has tried this as well).

A few people on the board have talked about remaking Super Mario Bros. Special in Mario Maker, including a guy who just did a full playthrough. I am absolutely committed to the project -- whatever it takes to preserve the game for a new wider audience. I keep debating maybe making a full thread to co-ordinate it, but the release seems like a long way out.

TheMoon

A few people on the board have talked about remaking Super Mario Bros. Special in Mario Maker, including a guy who just did a full playthrough. I am absolutely committed to the project -- whatever it takes to preserve the game for a new wider audience. I keep debating maybe making a full thread to co-ordinate it, but the release seems like a long way out.

mid-September is a while away still, yea. (30th anniversary is Sep 13 which is a Sunday so they could release it on Sep 11 or Sep 18)

I wish they were putting this on 3DS, or at least a stripped down version of it. There's no way the 3DS wouldn't be able to handle this, but I suppose the Wii U needs some killer apps.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I feel like you're looking for a reason not to be excited. Input lag in a Mario game? You're seriously concerned about that?
NES Remix ruined everything. I don't want to hear excuses about emulator this or that. There is no excuse and now I don't know what to believe.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Do we know now how the physics work in this game? Is it consistent all around or does it change based on the game style we pick?

jariw

Do we know now how the physics work in this game? Is it consistent all around or does it change based on the game style we pick?

Consistent, it seems. In Bill Trinen's translation of what Miyamoto said to iJustine in December, he refers to the styles as as "skins" and "art styles". And in the trailer from the last Nintendo Direct, the movement are the same while they switch between the graphic styles.

Cuburt

There is so much new content for old games, it's like this is a new Mario franchise all of it's own. It gives fans a chance to make levels as well as giving Nintendo a chance to experiment with the formula in ways they would probably never really put in a mainline 2D Mario.

This may unexpectedly be the trojan horse for innovation in the NSMB series by allowing for beta testing as many new features as they can cram in the game for players to experiment with.

Goldmund

Please show me slopes, Nintendo! I'm afraid this will be more of a Super Mario Bros. 1 Maker + a few features from (and skins of) later games and gimmicks. People still will be able to make some great levels but having to jump whenever you want to move upwards will severely limit the flow (and visual distinction) some levels could have.

TheMoon

I wish they were putting this on 3DS, or at least a stripped down version of it. There's no way the 3DS wouldn't be able to handle this, but I suppose the Wii U needs some killer apps.

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. You're swapping in a lot of assets plus you're forgetting that this is a level editor where you can put a ton of stuff on screen at one time. On 3DS, this would probably be limited a LOT. Don't just think "oh it's just 2D Mario so of course it could be on 3DS!" ...

This looks seriously well thought and addictive.
I imagine sinking hours of my life designing levels, especially given that you have newer items to toy with.

Game looks like a blast and it has more abilities than I thought it would have.

The only thing I'm afraid of is there will be few user created levels that are worth playing.

KeRaSh

I can't imagine it's a technical thing. Like you said it might just be a reason for people to buy a Wii U, although I don't think it's a system seller as it currently stands. It would have been an awesome launch pack in for the Wii U, though.

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. You're swapping in a lot of assets plus you're forgetting that this is a level editor where you can put a ton of stuff on screen at one time. On 3DS, this would probably be limited a LOT. Don't just think "oh it's just 2D Mario so of course it could be on 3DS!" ...

I'm sure it's more demanding than what someone might think at first but even a slightly limited version should be doable on New 3DS hardware.
Maybe a port will follow. WHo knows?

jariw

Please show me slopes, Nintendo! I'm afraid this will be more of a Super Mario Bros. 1 Maker + a few features from (and skins of) later games and gimmicks. People still will be able to make some great levels but having to jump whenever you want to move upwards will severely limit the flow (and visual distinction) some levels could have.

I guess the control freaks in Kyoto are currently very strict to what they will show us (such as what tool set Arino was allowed to use/show). A major reveal like slopes would probably need to wait until E3 or whenever they decide to boost the marketing campaign.

I love the visual flairs they have added, like the puffs of smoke from fireballs, and enemies spinning off screen.

Hopefully the physics are close enough to where we can have remakes of the original levels in widescreen.

Mael

But there were no Wigg
l
ers in NSMB!?!?! This isnt cannon! How can I support this kind of behavior?

Wut?
4-4_NSMB.png

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Not confirmed but 99% sure the answer will be no because it makes no sense for this game.
People keep saying this but I don't get it. It makes all the sense in the world. The stages are confirmed to be allowed to be really huge and expansive if you want. Being able to link different parts of you stage with warp pipes makes loads of sense.

Top Bottom