• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Maker coming in September. Online sharing of levels confirmed.

TheMoon

I think Andre jumped the gun on assuming there is a night theme just because it has a black background. Underground and Castle levels in SMB1 both have black backgrounds and we know you can put mushroom platforms in those themes.

Yup, given that we seemingly only have 4 tilesets available (unless they're just hiding the rest which is entirely possible) this seems unlikely.

What I want to see? Warp zones! I would love if you could make some super tough or secret area which hides one. But I very much doubt this will be the case

Serious question, though: what would be the point of a warp zone for this? I mean, you could just make a secret area with some hidden gimmick to find but a warp zone seems entirely useless for this. What would you warp to?!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
That's actually not true in art history, the best pieces are often the ones where the theme was imposed. Even in literature class, if you tell your students they can write anything they want, the result is usually much worse than if you impose stuff on them. Limits spark creativity, one of the reasons we have so many retro games.

Also, in this particular case, you need a manageable interface and process, and some focus for the players.

Littlebigplanet hasn't exactly struggled for creativity as the series has evolved and added way more options and tools.

Serious question, though: what would be the point of a warp zone for this?

What's the point of them in any Mario game?

Yup, given that we seemingly only have 4 tilesets available (unless they're just hiding the rest which is entirely possible) this seems unlikely.

We also haven't seen every enemy or character (Yoshi) in the trailers either. I think it makes more sense that every SMB theme will be here, instead of them arbitrarily leaving one out. Otherwise the level themes are going to get pretty old pretty quick, as you'll see the same four in every world

TheMoon

What's the point of them in any Mario game?

Warping you to later levels in the game. Which is not a factor in Mario Maker because you don't have a "full game" there where you could warp to another level since you have all the levels selectable at your fingertips at all times anyway.

We also haven't seen every enemy or character (Yoshi) in the trailers either.

I'm basing this off of the JP website. Not trailers.

Where's the source to this information?

What constitutes "this information?"

Warping you to later levels in the game. Which is not a factor in Mario Maker because you don't have a "full game" there where you could warp to another level since you have all the levels selectable at your fingertips at all times anyway.

You'd better be able to share full adventures in Mario Maker, otherwise that'll be a huge disappointment to me.

But you're right that within the context of sharing only a single level, it wouldn't serve much purpose

TheMoon

You'd better be able to share full adventures in Mario Maker, otherwise that'll be a huge disappointment to me.

But you're right that within the context of sharing only a single level, it wouldn't serve much purpose

It's safe to assume that you won't be able to share a full game's worth of levels as one big pack. Best case is sharing a "world" with four levels as seen in the trailer and screenshots.

mmakerdnus1.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I hope you'll be able to choose whether to lock stages off or not. Uploading you own set of levels or your own little Mario game, I'd like the option of being able set it so that people have to beat a stage in order to play the next one. I don't just want that "world" menu to literally just be individual levels without there being any kind of full game aspect aspect to it.

RagnarokX

It would be very surprising if they aren't in the game, particularly as the other castles were all in a 'castle' slot on the Selection screen whereas that level's 2-1, which would make for 2-castles in a row. But then again, I'm sure some people will make entire castle-only adventures.

What I want to see? Warp zones! I would love if you could make some super tough or secret area which hides one. But I very much doubt this will be the case

I think it would be very surprising if they spent time on that theme when you can just make your own levels that look just like it using underground or castle in SMB1. It's a solid black background.

TheMoon

I hope you'll be able to choose whether to lock stages off or not. Uploading you own set of levels or your own little Mario game, I'd like the option of being able set it so that people have to beat a stage in order to play the next one.

I think it would make sense that if you share a world (i.e. a succession of four levels), you would have to complete them in order.

I think it would be very surprising if they spent time on that theme when you can just make your own levels that look just like it using underground or castle in SMB1. It's a solid black background.

It isn't just a black background. It's actually more distinct visually than the Castle & Underground themes, yet those are separate from each other.

smb_w3-1.png

And you're forgetting that it would also look very distinct in the other themes

i_38578.jpg

Mr Swine

Banned
Man this looks more and more promising! Ever since they announced this I thought it was going to be a barebones Super Mario level editor! Who would have thought that this would be possible 2-5 years ago?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Man this looks more and more promising! Ever since they announced this I thought it was going to be a barebones Super Mario level editor! Who would have thought that this would be possible 2-5 years ago?
It sure looked like one at the original reveal. This game went from meh to my most anticipated game of the year. It seems to be much more feature packed than I expected.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yoshi's Holey Hell

A level based all around the concept of sacrificing Yoshis to make long jumps.

RagnarokX

It isn't just a black background.

smb_w3-1.png

And you're forgetting that it would also look very distinct in the other themes

i_38578.jpg

There are no clouds, trees, or mountains in the Mario Maker shot. It's most likely just underground.

uIjgER9.jpg

qOel272.jpg

Also, unlike every other theme, they would have to make a custom night background for NSMBU's theme since the only night levels were the ice levels.

There are no clouds, trees, or mountains in the Mario Maker shot. It's most likely just underground.

I was responding to your point of there being no point, which there clearly is.

Also, unlike every other theme, they would have to make a custom night background for NSMBU's theme since the only night levels were the ice level

I don't think it'd be too much of a challenge to make the ice theme work. Just drop that star background behind the existing normal-level background (only darkened) and you're basically set. Or they could go with something like this too:

eurogamer-x2gk8v.jpg

Besides, it's not like having to create custom elements has stopped them with the enemy sprites

I wouldn't get your hopes up for any themes other than the 4 we know about. The phrasing of Point 2 on the website seems to imply that it's only those (there's no "and more!" or anything like that).

I'll probably pick this up on release, but I feel like my own lack of creativity will make it a little pointless. This game makes me really like what Nintendo tried to do with the GamePad, though. I always felt like it was a flawed console, but the GamePad makes little things like typing messages and making levels so much easier. I feel a game like Mario Maker would be so cumbersome with traditional controls.

I really like the throwbacks to Mario Paint as well.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
This game has come a long way since it's initial reveal, I believe Nintendo had plans for this to be a smaller title but slowly and surely put more into it and now it is looking pretty robust.

It makes me want a Wii U, but I still have some reservations on whether it will deliver.

TheMoon

This game has come a long way since it's initial reveal, I believe Nintendo had plans for this to be a smaller title but slowly and surely put more into it and now it is looking pretty robust.

It makes me want a Wii U, but I still have some reservations on whether it will deliver.

I don't think so. I think they just wouldn't have shown it until this E3 if they didn't have something to prove last year with the whole "games taking advantage of the GamePad" thing.

jnWake

I'm disappointed that Koopa Troopa don't dance to the music in the NSMBU theme.

I'm kidding, that's probably done so that changing the theme doesn't ruin the timing of your level.

Serious question, though: what would be the point of a warp zone for this? I mean, you could just make a secret area with some hidden gimmick to find but a warp zone seems entirely useless for this. What would you warp to?!

You can make multiple worlds with four levels. So a later level or world?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I agree, it would be really cool. Sadly I just don't see them adding it, since they'd feel the need to also make Luigi, Toad, and Toadstool playable characters. Maybe they're saving it for DLC down the line.
It would also require them to implement other SMB2 elements into the other games as well as add non-SMB2 elements into the SMB2 portion because the game is just too different. It eschews all conventional SMB1 paradigms like stomping enemies in favor of making everything an object that can be picked up and thrown. Can you even imagine ShyGuys that you can ride on in SMB3 with mushroom blocks you can throw at Bowser. It would be really cool to add in but definitely would have to be optional DLC. I doubt they'll add it though. They never seem to want to revisit SMB2 much. I think 3D World is the closest they've gotten to acknowledging it in a long time. (Since like Yoshi's Island when ShyGuys became non-dream canon.) And even then it's just a few elements like the four playable characters and their moves. I'd love to see all the classic SMB2 enemies that never made the cut for later games come back as elements you can put in the other games.

BTW, will Mario Maker even let you play as anyone else other than Mario? I think if anything they should let us choose one of the 4. And make NSMB style multiplayer.

Putting in SMB2 style throwable objects would make for some pretty cool battle modes.

EDDIE-X

Neo Member
It would also require them to implement other SMB2 elements into the other games as well as add non-SMB2 elements into the SMB2 portion because the game is just too different. It eschews all conventional SMB1 paradigms like stomping enemies in favor of making everything an object that can be picked up and thrown. Can you even imagine ShyGuys that you can ride on in SMB3 with mushroom blocks you can throw at Bowser. It would be really cool to add in but definitely would have to be optional DLC. I doubt they'll add it though. They never seem to want to revisit SMB2 much. I think 3D World is the closest they've gotten to acknowledging it in a long time. (Since like Yoshi's Island when ShyGuys became non-dream canon.) And even then it's just a few elements like the four playable characters and their moves. I'd love to see all the classic SMB2 enemies that never made the cut for later games come back as elements you can put in the other games.

BTW, will Mario Maker even let you play as anyone else other than Mario? I think if anything they should let us choose one of the 4. And make NSMB style multiplayer.

Putting in SMB2 style throwable objects would make for some pretty cool battle modes.

Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npDO33Qs6IY

I'd love to see that too. I liked very much the e-Reader levels in Super Mario Advance 4. They incorporate elements from Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels, 2, 3, World and Yoshi's Island making very interesting level designs. I'd like something similar for Mario Maker or at least in a Mario Maker 2 :p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3f5EYbANC0

TheMoon

There's going to be a Game Center CX/mario maker thing at the Nico Nico game show this evening:

http://www.chokaigi.jp/2015/booth/cho_game.html

Seems like they're making a level for others to play? Hopefully if it's a newer build then the direct we may be able to glean something new from it.

Sorry but this already happened about 6 hours ago.

Miyamoto was there. Arino made four levels and four guests came in (Miyamoto was last) and each had to play one stage. The levels were amazing.

This confirmed that you can make VERY long levels that are also very tall. Plus we saw Goombas that were able to swim (actual swimming, not just walking around under water), red homing Bullet Bills and Bob-ombs that could destroy normally unbreakable blocks (apparently you had to assign them the ability to be destroyed since only a few of them got destroyed, opening a shortcut in one level).

L~A made a full recording of the segment. Watch here!

Stopdoor

Man, this game just keeps on giving. If they announce NSMB-like multiplayer it will be a must-have for me, I probably shouldn't get my hopes up though.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The large goombas and koopa troopas appear rather blurry in the footage from Game Center CX. It does not seem to be nearest neighbour resampling/scaling. I can understand that such likely wouldn't look too appealing with the New Super Mario Bros. mode, but for the 2D titles I'd say it is the best option. Perhaps it will be changed before launch.

Kouriozan

I watched it earlier, I'm full on board now.
There is so much potential in making interesting levels.

Edit : oh yeah, thanks for the video!

Miyamoto was there. Arino made four levels and four guests came in (Miyamoto was last) and each had to play one stage. The levels were amazing.

This confirmed that you can make VERY long levels that are also very tall. Plus we saw Goombas that were able to swim (actual swimming, not just walking around under water), red homing Bullet Bills and Bob-ombs that could destroy normally unbreakable blocks (apparently you had to assign them the ability to be destroyed since only a few of them got destroyed, opening a shortcut in one level).

Awesome, thanks for that link.

Also noticed you can have an underwater flag (which you can also swim past). We also now have the sprite for the SMB Fire Piranha Plant.

Goomba underwater physics creeped me out lol

Neiteio

Just watched this (while covering a multi-million-dollar budget meeting, lol). Just incredible level design. Almost Souls-ian.

Exile20

Thanks for this

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I feel like we need a thread for that GCCX footage. I wasn't even particularly interested in Mario Maker (while being a huge fan of the Mario series) until I saw those levels. That was some amazingly devious level design, and I can only begin to imagine some of the amazing content that will be available with online uploading of levels/courses. This is going to quietly end up being the ultimate 2D Mario, isn't it?

Thanks a ton for the recording, L~A. Was dying to watch but wasn't so keen on doing so at 3 AM, lol.

Really smart of Nintendo to do this with GCCX, Mario Maker looked great. I know it made me a lot more excited. I'm surprised at how clever some of Arino's level elements ended up being, lol. If playing games well isn't his calling, maybe level design is!

Also, I agree that it's probably thread-worthy.

epmode

Goddamn I love GCCX. Translation pls!

Dezzy

Looks like the physics aren't based on the NES games, unfortunately. You can tell when Mario jumps and hits a block from below. Looks more like the physics in All-Stars on SNES.

Top Bottom