• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Max Payne 3 article/info/shots in EDGE

ArjanN

No_Style said:
Then don't use it? Crysis 2 had a cover option, I rarely used it. Same with Killzone 3. It's nice to have options.

The cover system in Crysis 2 is annoying, if you want to aim down the sights and you happen to be standing near the edge of something it assumes you want to lean out and locks you into that animation.

If I wanted to take cover in Max Payne 1 or 2 I just stood or crouched behind something. That worked perfectly fine.

Angry Fork

FINALBOSS said:
You can only carry so many damn weapons dude.
In real life.

It's amazing how we're taking games (especially one with bullet time) so seriously that we have to reduce the amount of weapon capacity for no reason what so ever other than because everyone else does the same.

It's a fucking game, and a Max Payne one at that. Not every Rockstar game has to be GTA reincarnate where everything is stripped of fun and replaced with realism bullshit, but apparently for them it does have to be this.

The brazil daylight yee hawww lets go get em' boyzzz! with bodyguards crap already makes this an incoming train wreck, but the 2-3 weapon limit is a nail in the coffin. This may be a great game on it's own, but i'll eat my shoe if anyone pretends this is still a Max Payne game. For example - I thought FF13 was a good game on its own, but it ain't no Final Fantasy game that's for sure. It was an action RPG with FF elements and this game is random kane and lynch shooter #4 with Max Payne elements. Of course this is all only based on what we know so far, but the cover system shit, weapon limit stuff, brazil etc. is enough to let me know what's what. And i'd bet money right now that the gameplay they show will only cement that in my mind.

The idea that they're going to have mocap too, and back and forth nonlinear story etc. They're taking this way too seriously and GTA-like. The entire point to Max Payne was it's pulpy noir kind of thing. It was a cool exciting ride that you were there for, but it wasn't no hollywood-scripted gigantic set piece 'Oh my god we have to get away from the baddies, jump in my truck and watch me drive over exploding bridges!' bullshit. And I already know all the set piece talk, the motion capture, all that shit is gonna make this into ridiculous COD-like explosion fests where you narrowly escape some huge building collapsing behind you while you're ziplining down onto another building (all of this in brazil as the lens flare goes all up in your face Uncharted 2 style).

I don't really care if I get a lot of heat for this but i'm tired of mocap in games that don't need it. Not every game has to be some cinematic movie-like shit. The comic book cutscene stuff provided a great distance between the player and the game/story. It broke the 4th wall a few times and allows you to realize it's still just a game and it doesn't take itself that seriously. Why must every single game now try to out-do Uncharted 2? I love Uncharted but damn it's really taking a shit on everything now trying to be serious with amazing scripts etc. the same way COD fucked up FPS singleplayer.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Angry Fork said:
In real life.

It's amazing how we're taking games (especially one with bullet time) so seriously that we have to reduce the amount of weapon capacity for no reason what so ever other than because everyone else does the same.

It's a fucking game, and a Max Payne one at that. Not every Rockstar game has to be GTA reincarnate where everything is stripped of fun and replaced with realism bullshit, but apparently for them it does have to be this.

The brazil daylight yee hawww lets go get em' boyzzz! with bodyguards crap already makes this an incoming train wreck, but the 2-3 weapon limit is a nail in the coffin. This may be a great game on it's own, but i'll eat my shoe if anyone pretends this is still a Max Payne game. For example - I thought FF13 was a good game on its own, but it ain't no Final Fantasy game that's for sure. It was an action RPG with FF elements and this game is random kane and lynch shooter #4 with Max Payne elements. Of course this is all only based on what we know so far, but the cover system shit, weapon limit stuff, brazil etc. is enough to let me know what's what. And i'd bet money right now that the gameplay they show will only cement that in my mind.

The idea that they're going to have mocap too, and back and forth nonlinear story etc. They're taking this way too seriously and GTA-like. The entire point to Max Payne was it's pulpy noir kind of thing. It was a cool exciting ride that you were there for, but it wasn't no hollywood-scripted gigantic set piece 'Oh my god we have to get away from the baddies, jump in my truck and watch me drive over exploding bridges!' bullshit. And I already know all the set piece talk, the motion capture, all that shit is gonna make this into ridiculous COD-like explosion fests where you narrowly escape some huge building collapsing behind you while you're ziplining down onto another building (all of this in brazil as the lens flare goes all up in your face Uncharted 2 style).

I don't really care if I get a lot of heat for this but i'm tired of mocap in games that don't need it. Not every game has to be some cinematic movie-like shit. The comic book cutscene stuff provided a great distance between the player and the game/story. It broke the 4th wall a few times and allows you to realize it's still just a game and it doesn't take itself that seriously. Why must every single game now try to out-do Uncharted 2? I love Uncharted but damn it's really taking a shit on everything now trying to be serious with amazing scripts etc. the same way COD fucked up FPS singleplayer.

Ok™

Angry Fork said:

I don't get your mocap complaint. Max Payne 2 still had quite a bit of stuff happening in real time. Why not make it look realistic?

And are the comic book style scenes gone? I haven't heard about it yet.

Grimm Fandango said:
I don't get your mocap complaint. Max Payne 2 still had quite a bit of stuff happening in real time. Why not make it look realistic?

Well, the R* are trying to make it sound as if it's evolved (this is actually something that does bug me a little). So instead of still panels (if I'm reading this right), they'll have it resemble a motion comic mixed with the 24-style split screen panels. It'll be in-engine, so who knows how it'll actually look.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:

Lol. I love how you quoted him and wrote "stuff". Made me laugh out loud.

While the non-return of the comic book is a bit of a downer, I remember that MP2 more or less relegated it to bookending chapters, where in the first game it was used for pretty much every scene involving plot development or a decent amount of dialogue.

The fact that four studios (spread across three countries) are working on this doesn't inspire confidence. Sounds like a bit of design by committee / "too many cooks in the kitchen". But honestly, anybody but Remedy doing this makes me worried. Here's hoping it turns out well.

StrikerObi said:
The fact that so many studios are working on this doesn't inspire confidence. Sounds like a bit of design by committee / "too many cooks in the kitchen". But honestly, anybody but Remedy doing this makes me worried. Here's hoping it turns out well.

Rockstar games are often developed with people from more than one studio, although there is usually a lead studio. In this case, it's Rockstar Vancouver (aka Barking Dog Studios). It never seems to cause an issue. Ubisoft works in a similar manner.

They talk about Max reacting naturally to the environment as he jumps and slides around. In previous games you'd dodge and sometimes slide into a wall in slow motion which was always kind of funky as the animation would play out fully. I wonder how that works now.

Like this?
Or will he like run up the wall and do some crazy ninja shit?

eshwaaz

I really liked Max Payne 1 and 2, but I wouldn't call myself a hardcore fan. I'm primarily interested in Max Payne 3 for one reason - Euphoria.

Rockstar is the only dev who has done anything of significance with this technology. The hit and death sequences in RDR are the best in a game to date IMO, and would be a perfect fit for the slow motion bullet ballet that is Max Payne.

I really hope we get to see this game in motion at E3. I'm not saying I'm convinced it will be great, but I'm certainly not ready to write it off and dismiss it.

So anyone have any guesses as to when MP3 is gonna be released based on R*'s previous media cycle blitzes for GTA4, RDR, and LAN? They always seem to go in a specific pattern in how it seems to ramp up.

Pooya

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
So anyone have any guesses as to when MP3 is gonna be released based on R*'s previous media cycle blitzes for GTA4, RDR, and LAN? They always seem to go in a specific pattern in how it seems to ramp up.
LA Noire showed up on magazines around this time last year and it was supposed to be released in Fall but they delayed it later.

My guess is mid to late October or early December, I don't think it would be wise to go head to head withe BF3, COD and the new Assassins Creed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
If it comes out in December, that'd be a nice way to cap off the year, personally. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a September release date, haha
Almost no one releases games after Thanksgivings in the U.S. unless they tend to really hate their sales.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Which MP3 seems to have. Well the Bullet Time, but the article certainly seems to fill me with confidence about the Noir bit.
Article didn't fill me with confidence on the playstyle, seems like they might design the flow and enemy placement for cover based play rather than Matrix style bullet time. Hopefully it is still fast paced and packed with action. The Noir is the most important for me, if they nail that I will be very pleased regardless of gameplay.

StrikerObi said:
The fact that four studios (spread across three countries) are working on this doesn't inspire confidence.
This detail actual set me at ease, the more Rockstar focuses their talent on the game the better. If only one studio was working on it I would be worried it would have a feel relative to the studio, with more people involved they can look at the original games as a basis and go from there. Also shows Rockstar want to do it right rather than hand it off to a studio and just get it out the door.

snack

Speedymanic said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned (it's easily missed), but the magazine also confirms the game will have online multiplayer.
Everyone gets bullet time? Now that'd be ridiculous.

Speedymanic said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned (it's easily missed), but the magazine also confirms the game will have online multiplayer.

I hope the Dead Man Walking mode returns (is that what it was called?), it did the horde mode thing before it was "cool". I loved how it got steadily more frantic until you had a dozen or more enemies spawning at once.

snack said:
Everyone gets bullet time? Now that'd be ridiculous.

Well what did Stranglehold do with it's multiplayer component? I don't actually know myself as I sold the game as soon as I completed it.

Simo

I don't mean to bump a topic with no news, or anything since April, but I could of swore there was a topic discussing the December 1st release date? The local GameStop store has put the release date up on the board and when I asked about it the clerk said that it was official and came from the publishers..?

So if that's the case that'd mean the game is what, 4 months out and with only 2 magazine coverages to show for it? Gamescom is in a couple of weeks and they've got Rockstar games on their exhibitor's list:
http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/en/...282&values={"stichwort":"rockstar","start":0}

Fingers crossed we'll get something MP related, I can't think of anything else R* has on their plate they'd be showing.

Fjordson

Simo said:
I don't mean to bump a topic with no news, or anything since April, but I could of swore there was a topic discussing the December 1st release date? The local GameStop store has put the release date up on the board and when I asked about it the clerk said that it was official and came from the publishers..?

So if that's the case that'd mean the game is what, 4 months out and with only 2 magazine coverages to show for it? Gamescom is in a couple of weeks and they've got Rockstar games on their exhibitor's list:
http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/en/...282&values={"stichwort":"rockstar","start":0}

Fingers crossed we'll get something MP related, I can't think of anything else R* has on their plate they'd be showing.
Fuck yeah. Glad they're going to be at Gamescom.

Probably will be MP 3. Can't really remember, but it seems like all of their previous reveals have been on their own time and not at any big events (so no GTA 5 =[ )

December seems weird for them, though. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets moved to Spring of next year. Rockstar's had killer sales during that time for two years running now. It'd give them time to get some more media out there and then start their marketing blitz next year.

If Max Payne 3 actually does come out in December then this years Christmas will be the best evar*!

*slightly exaggerated, used for dramatic effect

V_Ben

Banned
Simo said:

Could just be the PC version of LA Noire.

.la1n

I'm not liking most of those details but I suppose hoping for a real sequel was pretty dumb to begin with, I imagine many people (slaves) will probably leave Rockstar after the game is released as usual.

DaBuddaDa

Nirolak said:
Almost no one releases games after Thanksgivings in the U.S. unless they tend to really hate their sales.
Really? Regardless of Black Friday, December is by far the biggest consumer month of the year overall.

Cyberia

The Dutch Slayer said:
That is far more likely.

MP3 is not going to see any more press time this year its clearly a re-reveal in 2012.

False. They made on their website (comments section) several times clear that we will get to see more in the coming months.

V_Ben said:
Could just be the PC version of LA Noire.

Perhaps, but it's worth noting that last year Rockstar was also at GC, but they only showed off L.A. Noire to select retailers and very select press, but press weren't allowed to report on it, since it was the EDGE cover story demo they had for show.

So it could be Max 3, but no reporting will probably come.

FoneBone

Simo said:
Ugh, really? Unless it's a Tuesday (it's not), dates on the first or last days of a given month are always, always placeholders.

SamuraiX-

Can't believe I missed this topic all this time. This piece of news excited me the most:

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
- Uses Euphoria, which is awesome. Very natural animations for Max and his enemies

Hell fucking yes. This was one of the best things about GTA IV. Glad they're re-implementing it.

Also, am I the only one excited about the possibilities of combining the new cover mechanic with the bullet time feature? Depending on how accessible the gameplay is, I'm hoping to turn my first session into a real Hollywood style action flick.

What I mean is I hope they make it so you can take cover behind a wall or a box and then be able to just leap out of cover at any moment in slow-mo and taking out all the guys in the room. You could, of course do this in MP1 and MP2, but I feel the cover system could make all those experiences feel more natural.

SamuraiX- said:
Can't believe I missed this topic all this time. This piece of news excited me the most:

Hell fucking yes. This was one of the best things about GTA IV. Glad they're re-implementing it.

Also, am I the only one excited about the possibilities of combining the new cover mechanic with the bullet time feature? Depending on how accessible the gameplay is, I'm hoping to turn my first session into a real Hollywood style action flick.

What I mean is I hope they make it so you can take cover behind a wall or a box and then be able to just leap out of cover at any moment in slow-mo and taking out all the guys in the room. You could, of course do this in MP1 and MP2, but I feel the cover system could make all those experiences feel more natural.

You mean instead of staring at a wall before you do it? :p

I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen anything like this from Uncharted.

Simo

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Fuck you, Simo, my hopes were raised and then you threw me back down to earth.

I know, I'm sorry man but I'm in the same boat as you and can't wait for the game and going 2 years from the GI cover story to the Edge article with nothing in between was a nightmare but hopefully we'll be getting something this month!
Rockstar Mod said:
@batik89 @Katmula @Johnny-92 & others, we'll have more for you guys in the coming weeks, stay tuned all

@gtaman1980 Yes, but only to have some routine sales meetings, thanks for asking though

Fjordson

Haha, yeah that was a tough dose of reality. Was expecting some big info blowout for MP 3. Oh well. I should know better by now than to expect Rockstar to reveal stuff at these shows.

And I still say it's a safe bet that this gets pushed to Spring 2012 =(

Top Bottom