• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V previews coming 6/9 (no story info though)

Mexen

If the customization is only linked to online-features, I don't think it would feel disconnected. You personnally would see BB when playing, but the one player that you invade would see your customized face. I'm pretty sure there was a game that did something similar to this, but I can't put my finger on it.

Yeah I mean this whole thing only works if Brazil is mistaken. Not trying to discredit him from being there, I'm just thinking he might have misheard or misunderstood something.

Well then, going down the same road: We know Venom Snake is a playable character in MGO in one of the teams, what if the customizable face only comes into play there? Would make as much sense as with the mother base invasions. Both Online features.

This is where I was confused. Now I'm wondering if this game can be played 100% offline.

UrbanRats

lmao

a soldier who just so happens to have the same body type, same voice, all his memories, abilities, motivations...

for what narrative purpose? Why would you show the evolution of Big Boss from sovereign nation war hero to power-mad Outer Haven warlord...with someone who isn't Big Boss? For some cheap, nonsensical "GOTCHA"?

Some of ya'll take the OMG KOJIMA MASTER TROLLOLOLOL thing well past the logic point.
I find the Kojima Troll shenanigans as annoying as the next guy, but i mean, this is the same series where some guy brainwashed himself into thinking he was possessed by someone else's arm.

Some major bullshit like that, wouldn't be anything new.

But it's not the same voice...

Ground Zeroes he has the same voice, then the accident happens, then Phantom Pain starts with him coming out of a coma

like...what would be the point of having an entire game's worth of narrative, themetic, and character development happen to someone who looks, sounds, moves, thinks, and acts like the primary character in the series...but not actually be that character because reasons?

like seriously think about what you're suggesting here, what you gain(uh, nothing!?) vs what you lose story wise(uh, everything since none of it happen to the actual protagonist!?).

Ground Zeroes he has the same voice, then the accident happens, then Phantom Pain starts with him coming out of a coma

like...what would be the point of having an entire game's worth of narrative, themetic, and character development happen to someone who looks, sounds, moves, thinks, and acts like the primary character in the series...but not actually be that character because reasons?

like seriously think about what you're suggesting here, what you gain(uh, nothing!?) vs what you lose story wise(uh, everything since none of it happen to the actual protagonist!?).

I don't actually believe that theory one bit, I was just making a dumb joke.

SpaceHorror

But it's not the same voice...

It's the same voice as in Ground Zeroes. And that is Boss.

If you actually can change the face, it's likely that Boss will have cosmetic surgery after what happened at the end of GZ, similar to the whole Commander Shepherd thing in ME2. Didn't Snake have bandages on his face in the first teaser preview? Regardless, I'm using standard Boss.

Edit: just saw you were making a joke. :p

brau

you guys think the game will have micro transactions?

Poll.

Vt4wTkU.png

Coldzero

Blimey, catching up with this thread has been entertaining. Yes I clicked the spoiler tag, yes I thought 'Oh wow' but the important thing was that it was an opinion and it was spoiler tagged.

SomTervo

Interesting question that some people had been discussing.

What was your completion % after playing the game for that many hours?

Brazil said 14% completion after 15 hours.

I'd wager that a significant chunk of the completion % will be hidden behind ranks (eg doing all of GZ's missions to A was like 80% or something, getting them to S was 100%).

So chances are just completing the missions to no particularly high standard will add up to 60-70%.

Still, 14% for 15 hours is potentially phenomenal. Like, similar to The Witcher 3 phenomenal.

Mexen

Coincidences in the Metal Gear Solid world? Post for no reason? Heh!

*Pliskin "I wouldn't do that if I
were you."*

brau

What the hell is going on?

This is most interesting indeed. Considering who this is, I can't believe he posted it for no reason.

It was the anniversary of Peace Walker's release. They're still close friends.

As screaming meat said... this might be nothing lol. Prbly Hayter bombed an audition and needed some picking up. Robin thought he would be funny and throw the whole MGS Hayter missing on his face. Pretty funny if you ask me.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

De_Legend

Banned
Read the preview from jeuxvideo.com..

All my fears about this new MGS are real, god dammit.

''Not enough epicness'' ''cutscenes lacking'' ''Story meh'' ''Not a MGS we used to have''

Could be good for some, not so good for fans like me who liked the old school MGS. Keep in mind that's just about 15 hours of gameplay so yeah..

Let's hope it gets better for my taste later on.

All my fear about this new MGS are real, god dammit.

''Not enough epicness'' ''cutscenes lacking'' ''Story meh'' ''Not a MGS we used to have''

Could be good for some, not so good for fans like me who liked the old school MGS. Keep in mind that's just about 15 hours of gameplay so yeah..

My first MGS was the original and I'm pretty hyped for TPP...I get your concerns and hope it swings round for you later on but personally I'm excited to play an evolution of a series I love. I always find quotes like

"Not a MGS we used to have"

kinda ridiculous to be honest. If a series was short and had a super consistent identity, let's take Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 for example, then you'd have a point if Baldur's Gate turned into a Souls-esque ARPG or just had an abrupt genre change. Sorta since 2 but mainly with 3 onwards, MGS has always evolved with each iteration and while I suppose TPP might be the biggest single change in a title...I don't really think it's lost its identity. For me at least. I may never have had a problem with lots of cutscenes or pseudo-philosophical monologues etc but I think I had...4-6 (if you count PW and PO) titles that loosely fit the mold fairly well.

If the series is going out with a bang it should call back to what made it great in the first place but show how far it's come and some of the things people miss would hold it back in that regard. Imo.

I watched the kinda funny games preview and it sounds amazing. A fully fleshed out peacewalker will make for an excellent game.

With this tweet by Hayter I feel more confident than ever on team "hayter will be in the game secretly" or whatever its called nowadays

De_Legend

Banned
My first MGS was the original and I'm pretty hyped for TPP...I get your concerns and hope it swings round for you later on but personally I'm excited to play an evolution of a series I love. I always find quotes like

"Not a MGS we used to have"

kinda ridiculous to be honest. If a series was short and had a super consistent identity, let's take Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 for example, then you'd have a point if Baldur's Gate turned into a Souls-esque ARPG or just had an abrupt genre change. Sorta since 2 but mainly with 3 onwards, MGS has always evolved with each iteration and while I suppose TPP might be the biggest single change in a title...I don't really think it's lost its identity. For me at least. I may never have had a problem with lots of cutscenes or pseudo-philosophical monologues etc but I think I had...4-6 (if you count PW and PO) titles that loosely fit the mold fairly well.

If the series is going out with a bang it should call back to what made it great in the first place but show how far it's come and some of the things people miss would hold it back in that regard. Imo.

Yeah, I just like my MGS games to be a little more linear with story focused, epic cutscenes, bosses etc.

But in 2015 I understand that games cannot be what they used to, everything now is open world, you have to sacrifice some stuff to make that happen. The story will be less present is a way when you make open world games, it gets new stuff added and that's good for the most part. I just fear that it will not ''feel'' MGS enough for my taste.

Maybe it won't be the case and it will be one of my favorite game in the series, who knows.

Yeah, I just like my MGS games to be a little more linear with story focused, epic cutscenes, bosses etc.

But in 2015 I understand that games cannot be what they used to, everything now is open world, you have to sacrifice some stuff to make that happen. The story will be less present is a way when you make open world games, it gets new stuff added and that's good for the most part. I just fear that it will not ''feel'' MGS enough for my taste.

Maybe it won't be the case and it will be one of my favorite game in the series, who knows.

Fair. I like that they still hve the traditional boss battles that everyone seems to say are way better than Peace Walker (which isn't a high bar but you know what I mean), BB vs Quiet across an Afghan Valley anyone? Maybe not in an ideal world but while I love my more open experiences as much as my linear experiences...I think I'm probably so ok with this direction for MGS partly because unless Kojima comes back and wants to make another MGS it'll probably be the last one I ever buy and also because when I feel about what I like in the series...not to sound like a dick but I realize there are several games that fulfill those needs so ultimately it comes to a "Well, I've gotten so much fun out of the series I'll look forward to this new approach".

I do have super fond memories of infiltrating Shadow Moses, Big Shell etc though. If nothing else I can always let you shareplay if you don't want to buy it :p

deim0s

Just thinking what brazil said is just in case for coop shenanigans. Where you play as BB in your game and the other sees your fucked up Shepard mug on their team instead of a generic MSF soldier like in PW.

Scary! I enjoyed Ground Zeroes and I've loved all the previews I've seen of TPP, but that's assuming that they're hiding the real crazy shit.

I need the epicness, the convoluted story, and the cutscenes. If this one tries too hard to become realistic and toned down then it will still be a really good game (clearly) but it will suck the soul right out of Metal Gear. I'm already butthurt about the lack of proper codecs.

I actually hope that Brazil is correct. I need the Kojima twists.
Another clone/duplicate of Big Boss that possibly thinks he is the real one? That sounds awesome! What if they meet? Cooooool.

Furyous

I wouldn't mind time saving micro transactions. If something takes six hours and you don't want to wait and would rather pay $1 to unlock it immediately then go ahead.

However, requiring PSN could mean the player needs to be signed into PSN or the mother base section is always online.

Erban1

Scary! I enjoyed Ground Zeroes and I've loved all the previews I've seen of TPP, but that's assuming that they're hiding the real crazy shit.

I need the epicness, the convoluted story, and the cutscenes. If this one tries too hard to become realistic and toned down then it will still be a really good game (clearly) but it will suck the soul right out of Metal Gear. I'm already butthurt about the lack of proper codecs.

I actually hope that Brazil is correct. I need the Kojima twists.
Another clone/duplicate of Big Boss that possibly thinks he is the real one? That sounds awesome! What if they meet? Cooooool.

Toned down? The first glimpse we got of this game was a flaming whale eating a helicopter, I think we're still down for absolute insanity. I'm curious about the number of boss fights we'll get, but it seems like everyone that previewed the game barely scratched the surface. Guess we'll know the truth in less than 3 months.

If anyone was in any doubt, the previews basically seem to confirm it, Kojima is going to make it IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to ever make a sequel or a game called "Metal Gear" without it looking "safe".

funkypie

Banned
You know. I hate microtransactions, but I'm actually okay with this. I'm such a Metal Gear fanboy that I might actually pay money to develop my Mother Base... which I'm sure Konami is betting on.

Thanks, because that kind of shite is why we are seeing mobile game micro transactions in games in the first place.

What next? 5 dollar high frequency blade.

Shizuka

This is me reading the topic:

tumblr_lld1a6To0m1qesb0s.gif

Kinda wish there were more spoilers, since I've actually gotten interested in the game after that one.

You're not alone, it's the first mainline MGS I'm going to be able to play on release and well.....it's not the one I would have chosen let's just say that.

Tons of people are really excited and that's great, it'll obviously be a fantastic game. But it's not what I wanted :(

Zyae

Im still super GET HYPE but im kind of worried about this. Peace Walker had cool gameplay elements but I dont want that to be the focus at all.

convo

Well isn't the game supposed to be really long? who knows what is going to happen, i mean i didn't really expect the ending of PW and this game has scope and things to cover.

Ishida

Banned

I won't be pessimistic now. But ever since Kojima said that this game would contain less cutscenes, and less voice acting by Snake I became quite worried... I don't doubt this will be GOTY material, but it may not be "Metal Gear" material.... =/

Top Bottom