• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V previews coming 6/9 (no story info though)

Boke1879

I won't be pessimistic now. But ever since Kojima said that this game would contain less cutscenes, and less voice acting by Snake I became quite worried... I don't doubt this will be GOTY material, but it may not be "Metal Gear" material.... =/

If anything it's going to be more like Peace Walker where everything is fleshed out in the tapes. You'll get the main story but no doubt monologues and backstory will be fleshed out with the tapes.

I guess it's the line Kojima had to tip toe. Many people complained about long cutscenes. Especially in 2 and 4.

Personally I don't mind this approach. I can deal with tapes. It's no different than codecs really.

Ishida

Banned
If anything it's going to be more like Peace Walker where everything is fleshed out in the tapes. You'll get the main story but no doubt monologues and backstory will be fleshed out with the tapes.

I guess it's the line Kojima had to tip toe. Many people complained about long cutscenes. Especially in 2 and 4.

Personally I don't mind this approach. I can deal with tapes. It's no different than codecs really.

That doesn't sound good to be honest...

cackhyena

Eh, sounds fine to me. I just don't want Mother Base to be a hassle. Seems like it has the potential to be. Just more time spent with something than I want, when it could be automated.

Shy

PYTHON SELKAN WAS RIGHT!

I knew it.

I can't wait to see reactions to all of doubters,
You two are joking right. ?

Because how does
being able to customise BB's face
go to you're playing as gray fox, it's a ridiculous assumption to make with no evidence. and is no different than of those all those half-life 3 memes.

Sorry if i come across as rude, but all those gray fox (python snake) "theories" really piss me off.

Eh, sounds fine to me. I just don't want Mother Base to be a hassle. Seems like it has the potential to be. Just more time spent with something than I want, when it could be automated.

This. The whole "morale will go down if you don't go there often" worries me. I'm gettin gta4 flashbacks over here.

Alienous

That doesn't sound good to be honest...

As long as the tapes are as easily assessable as they are in Ground Zeroes, and if the game makes a point to highlight them as they come, it could work.

Rather than 20 minutes of downtime where you watch two faces on screen talking you can just pop a tape into your player while you are trekking to your mission objective. "Ah, my target is a 8 minute drive away, let me pop one of these tapes in to listen to on the way there".

Ishida

Banned
I loved that about Peace Walker.

That way you can piece the complete (back)story by finding the tapes.

Tapes were good. But I don't want cutscenes replaced by tapes. It's like in Final Fantasy XIII, where if you wanted to actually know the mythology of the game you had to look in that dumbass database.

Rajang

I dont think there will be microtransactions. I'm guessing that the Motherbase stuff is tied to a Motherbase app or something, which they didnt have access to.

AHA-Lambda

I won't be pessimistic now. But ever since Kojima said that this game would contain less cutscenes, and less voice acting by Snake I became quite worried... I don't doubt this will be GOTY material, but it may not be "Metal Gear" material.... =/

oh ;_;

Alienous

Tapes were good. But I don't want cutscenes replaced by tapes. It's like in Final Fantasy XIII, where if you wanted to actually know the mythology of the game you had to look in that dumbass database.

The exposition in Metal Gear Solid cutscenes are better given a different outlet. Codec has done that before but it is needlessly intrusive as a game element. Being able to consume the non-important plot in optional tapes is a streamlining of the narrative. Now, it would seem, cutscenes serve the purpose of forwarding the main story.

I much rather tapes you can listen to while you play the game instead of five minute codec conversations that I have to stop and look at mostly static animated boxes. "Sup Snake its Drebin let me tell you a really sad story about that boss you just killed. Laughing Raccoon had the greatest laugh in her village, but one day the village was burned down and she was maybe raped by raccoons, now all she does is laugh the raccoon laugh. Also raccoons."

Tapes should be a way to supplement the storytelling not be the main delivery method. I hope the latter doesn't occur or it's going to be a huge letdown.

Boke1879

There probably won't be as many cut scenes but tapes won't replace them. If it's anything like Peace Walker you get the overall story through cut scenes which anyone can follow.

It's the just tapes act as sort of a supplement to it. I loved that about Peace Walker. The tapes let you understand the different characters personalities that honestly couldn't be conveyed in a cut scene imo. If anything they replace the Codec calls.

Read the preview from jeuxvideo.com..

All my fears about this new MGS are real, god dammit.

''Not enough epicness'' ''cutscenes lacking'' ''Story meh'' ''Not a MGS we used to have''

Could be good for some, not so good for fans like me who liked the old school MGS. Keep in mind that's just about 15 hours of gameplay so yeah..

Let's hope it gets better for my taste later on.

Every other preview says the opposite. Except lack of cutscenes, that is known, but whatever, there will still be there just really spaced out. I rather be playing the game and not be interrupted all the time but that's just me. Outside that every preview pretty much say the design of the levels where the missions are in are classic MGS, it is the MGS you love.

Furyous

Read the preview from jeuxvideo.com..

All my fears about this new MGS are real, god dammit.

''Not enough epicness'' ''cutscenes lacking'' ''Story meh'' ''Not a MGS we used to have''

Could be good for some, not so good for fans like me who liked the old school MGS. Keep in mind that's just about 15 hours of gameplay so yeah..

Let's hope it gets better for my taste later on.

My biggest concerns revolve around perceived value. Previous games had dozens of hours of hidden content in the form of conversations and collectibles that fleshed out the world. If Big Boss barely talks then where does the bonus content come from? Bring back the 12 minute cutscenes. If nothing in TPP touches the final cutscene in The tanker chapter of MGS2 then I'll be pissed.

Rajang

That's exactly my fear.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't want the cutscenes to be gone obviously, but what we do know is that they are going to be reduced. Which isn't that much of a problem for me. I think MGS4 was the most extreme with cutscenes, some of them were too bloated (especially the briefings) and therefore the game had pacing issues. PW did it much better. It had bite sized missions but it got a cutscenes before every main story mission. I also loved how it was done in GZ: big opening cutscene and specific cutscenes for rescuing Paz and for rescuing Chico. I think they will use the same method in TPP. We already got a tease of that at E3, where BB went on a mission to save Kaz. Opening cutscene with Ocelot > the gameplay/mission > cutscene when you rescue Kaz.

My biggest concerns revolve around perceived value. Previous games had dozens of hours of hidden content in the form of conversations and collectibles that fleshed out the world. If Big Boss barely talks then where does the bonus content come from? Bring back the 12 minute cutscenes. If nothing in TPP touches the final cutscene in The tanker chapter of MGS2 then I'll be pissed.

There are collectable cassette tapes and briefing tapes which have all those conversations in, you can listen to them in the helicopter or while you're busy on the battlefield if you want. With the Ground Zeroes app you could even listen to them away from the game, so that might be a thing again.

With the open ended world/mission structure, I want to tell the story. I don't want to watch the story.

I don't even know what this means. How is the absence of cut scenes making the player tell the story?The MGS series has always been a story driven series. Relegating the plot to a bunch of optional collectible tapes is doing the fans a huge disservice.

Everheart

Neo Member
I want this to still be one giant HIDEO moment where we install the game and Kojima comes out with David Hayter and they make all this right. Honestly I'd just have so much joy and laugh my head off if this happened. Such a good ruse.

I want this to still be one giant HIDEO moment where we install the game and Kojima comes out with David Hayter and they make all this right. Honestly I'd just have so much joy and laugh my head off if this happened. Such a good ruse.

I know what you mean, I can't even imagine how happy I'd be lol.

Would probably join some of my favorite moments in gaming if he were to pull that.

I much rather tapes you can listen to while you play the game instead of five minute codec conversations that I have to stop and look at mostly static animated boxes. "Sup Snake its Drebin let me tell you a really sad story about that boss you just killed. Laughing Raccoon had the greatest laugh in her village, but one day the village was burned down and she was maybe raped by raccoons, now all she does is laugh the raccoon laugh. Also raccoons."

I'd rather optional Codecs instead of tapes or forced backstory because tapes/recordings outside of, like, a laboratory environment is one of the worst storytelling devices in gaming IMO.

I'd rather optional Codecs instead of tapes or forced backstory because tapes/recordings outside of, like, a laboratory environment are some of the worst storytelling devices in gaming IMO.

I have the official ranking of storytelling devices, hold on, let me check

Things your character does in the game(playing the game *gasp*) > party/overheard banter and dialog > environmental storytelling > conversation trees > non-MGS4 self-indulgent cutscenes > narrator man from Bastion and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time > believable video game graffiti > bad and obvious video game graffiti(THE GOVERNMENT IS LYING TO YOU FIGHT BACK) > audio diaries/recording you can listen to as you play > MGS4 cutscenes > audio diaries/recording you have to stop and listen to as you play > codex entries > MGS codec conversations of people reading stilted Kojima dialog and watching static avatars of the person talking omg I want to die was this seriously the best way to get exposition and information to the player are you shitting me

Things your character does in the game(playing the game *gasp*) > party/overheard banter and dialog > environmental storytelling > conversation trees > non-MGS4 self-indulgent cutscenes > narrator man from Bastion and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time > believable video game graffiti > bad and obvious video game graffiti(THE GOVERNMENT IS LYING TO YOU FIGHT BACK) > audio diaries/recording you can listen to as you play > MGS4 cutscenes > audio diaries/recording you have to stop and listen to as you play > codex entries > MGS codec conversations of people reading stilted Kojima dialog and watching static avatars of the person talking

That's ridiculous. Going by that logic pacman has a better storytelling method than MGS.

Boke1879

I'd rather optional Codecs instead of tapes or forced backstory because tapes/recordings outside of, like, a laboratory environment is one of the worst storytelling devices in gaming IMO.

So you'd rather listen to a codec that interrupts the flow of gameplay?

The way they are implemented is great imo. Tapes can be listened to while I'm playing the game or at my leisure on the menu.

Just look at GZ. I don't see how any of that was forced. You got the main mission with Cut scenes. That showed enough of the story to let you know what was going on.

Now collect all of Chico's tapes. You find out A LOT of backstory. Like what really happened with him and Paz. Why Chico was so afraid of Snake when he rescued him and who truly gave up all the info of MotherBase.

Or listen to the agents recording. Skullfaces' interrogation and monologue in that was some great stuff.

Ishida

Banned

Things your character does in the game(playing the game *gasp*) > party/overheard banter and dialog > environmental storytelling > conversation trees > non-MGS4 self-indulgent cutscenes > narrator man from Bastion and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time > believable video game graffiti > bad and obvious video game graffiti(THE GOVERNMENT IS LYING TO YOU FIGHT BACK) > audio diaries/recording you can listen to as you play > MGS4 cutscenes > audio diaries/recording you have to stop and listen to as you play > codex entries > MGS codec conversations of people reading stilted Kojima dialog and watching static avatars of the person talking omg I want to die was this seriously the best way to get exposition and information to the player are you shitting me

Whoever wrote that "official ranking" has terrible taste and has a completely invalid opinion, it seems!

I can't wait to see reactions to all of doubters,

giphy.gif

The way they are implemented is great imo. Tapes can be listened to while I'm playing the game or at my leisure on the menu.

Just look at GZ. I don't see how any of that was forced. You got the main mission with Cut scenes. That showed enough of the story to let you know what was going on.

Now collect all of Chico's tapes. You find out A LOT of backstory. Like what really happened with him and Paz. Why Chico was so afraid of Snake when he rescued him and who truly gave up all the info of MotherBase.

Or listen to the agents recording. Skullfaces' interrogation and monologue in that was some great stuff.

I disagree. It didn't work very well because the tapes are scattered all over the place and they are hidden so you may not even find them all. With the codec everything was there right in front of you if you wanted it. Also using that method you can't reveal the story in a certain sequence. It has to be a past event. The codec screen was able to tell you stuff relevant to that particular time. As for interrupting the flow of gameplay....really? Are you telling me you were able to listen to the tape and concentrate on avoiding enemies at the same time? I had to stop what I was doing just to listen to the tape so it was the same result with more limitations and worse presentation in the end. Don't get me wrong. The tapes are fine but only as supplementary material. Not the entire backstory.

Rajang

Yeah, I agree.

Whoever wrote that "official ranking" has terrible taste and has a completely invalid opinion, it seems!

lol

sTiTcH AU

I actually am really disappointed that it will be set up like the peace walker missions style where after mission complete you get booted back to a mission select screen. I have next to no hype for this game. And I had insane amounts for 2/3/4. The more I hear about it...The more I am unimpressed.

I actually am really disappointed that it will be set up like the peace walker missions style where after mission complete you get booted back to a mission select screen. I have next to no hype for this game. And I had insane amounts for 2/3/4. The more I hear about it...The more I am unimpressed.

I think they mentioned that you wouldn't get booted out, you can get missions while on the field.

Boke1879

I disagree. It didn't work very well because the tapes are scattered all over the place and they are hidden so you may not even find them all. With the codec everything was there right in front of you if you wanted it. Also using that method you can't reveal the story in a certain sequence. It has to be a past event. The codec screen was able to tell you stuff relevant to that particular time. As for interrupting the flow of gameplay....really? Are you telling me you were able to listen to the tape and concentrate on avoiding enemies at the same time? I had to stop what I was doing just to listen to the tape so it was the same result with more limitations and worse presentation in the end. Don't get me wrong. The tapes are fine but only as supplementary material. Not the entire backstory.

But the tapes gives you a backstory you can't get in a cut scene. Again. I'm sure the story will be presented in normal fashion. Just for those that want more. They have to seek out tapes in order to get the backstory on characters or events.

Greg Miller mentioned that before each mission you can listen to a tape pertaining to it to get the backstory of it.

Often times with the codec in previous MGS games you had to call multiple times to get the info you wanted.

Rajang

Not true, please read the impressions/previews.

gafneo

Banned
You two are joking right. ?

Because how does
being able to customise BB's face
go to you're playing as gray fox, it's a ridiculous assumption to make with no evidence. and is no different than of those all those half-life 3 memes.

Sorry if i come across as rude, but all those gray fox (python snake) "theories" really piss me off.

It's cool. I'm not assuming based on the spoiler. The theories go into detail on how the transition works into the Gray Fox theory.

This ranking aligns with my tastes quite a bit (although Max Payne style monologues are 2nd for me), but I still dislike tapes more than the codec. I've never been a fan of the near illogical nature of the concept (again, outside of a setting where finding hours of recordings makes sense). Just feels like a cheap way to flesh out something that either should've been shown to the player directly, implied via other means, or left out of the game. It's like story that the devs couldn't be bothered to find a better way to implement, so here it is on a tape that was recording the entire time and didn't get lost, or break, or get found by anyone else.

Oh and they're spread all over the place for you to find because videogames. Or not, maybe you'll just find one on a bench somewhere because Bioshock.

To be honest, traditional Codec conversations aren't great either, but I'd prefer optional ones with some back and forth dialogue to tapes *shudder*

They don't even try to come up with a plausible in-game reason for all those fuckin' tapes in Bioshock. Andrew Ryan leaving recordings of him mocking the player in a fridge because reasons breh lmao

They don't even try to come up with a plausible in-game reason for all those fuckin' tapes in Bioshock. Andrew Ryan leaving recordings of him mocking the player in a fridge because reasons breh lmao

Bioshock was the tipping point for me. Maybe if was it 2007 and The Phantom Pain was coming out I'd be like "Yeah sure, I'd love to hear this torture session that was recorded on a Sony® Cassette Tape™, playable on a Sony® Walkman™ Portable Cassette Entertainment Device, left on a cactus in the middle of the desert that reveals information about the torturer and torturee" but these days I can't deal with it.

Every preview is gushing with praise. Think about this, with 15 hours in any other console MGS they would have finished the game already, with this one they feel like they just started and they can't wait to play more. This is going to be an all time masterpiece.

Top Bottom