• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V previews coming 6/9 (no story info though)

SomTervo

Doesn't sound entirely ridiculous. Some games with percentage completion stats can show around 50-65% to actually finish the game with the last 50-35%based on collectables and unlockables.

I only really felt it sounded ridiculous when compared to Brazil's playtime/completion. Also I roughly second what you say here above.

- Brazil played for 15 hours (same as every other journalist)
- Brazil said the press guys commented that he made it further than anyone else
- Brazil had 14% completion
- Brazil said he only cheesed one mission and felt bad about it so took his time about every other mission
- Russian guy says he got 30-40% completion and made it to South Africa (presumably in the same 15 hours as every other journalist on the planet)

I know which testimony I trust more.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Replied to you above, yo.

Haha, yup, I eventually (think) I caught it. I replied a couple of posts back, unless I'm missing something new.

That completion thing... I think, again, it's important to recognize that Russia Guy (his new name IMO) is very likely talking about the main plot and he got a 30-40% reply from someone at Konami on that matter specifically. He might well have been curious enough to ask due to frustrations with the sparseness of story sequences. The way it's worded makes it sound like the actual in-game percentage bar had nothing to do with his inquiry and thus nothing to do with his blog post.

I'm grain-of-salting at least some of what he says, myself, even, but speaking from experience as someone with perhaps similar hopes from the game as Russia Guy, I know I'd be looking less at the in-game percentage and more at just how much narrative is left if I got to a point that I was beginning to doubt there's enough in there to satisfy me.

SomTervo

Haha, yup, I eventually (think) I caught it. I replied a couple of posts back, unless I'm missing something new.

That completion thing... I think, again, it's important to recognize that Russia Guy (his new name IMO) is very likely talking about the main plot and he got a 30-40% reply from someone at Konami on that matter specifically. He might well have been curious enough to ask due to frustrations with the sparseness of story sequences. The way it's worded makes it sound like the actual in-game percentage bar had nothing to do with his inquiry and thus nothing to do with his blog post.

I'm grain-of-salting at least some of what he says, myself, even, but speaking from experience as someone with perhaps similar hopes from the game as Russia Guy, I know I'd be looking less at the in-game percentage and more at just how much narrative is left if I got to a point that I was beginning to doubt there's enough in there to satisfy me.

Good point. It was a rough estimate from a PR guy, not the game's actual completion stat. Chances are Russia Guy's total completion stat was similar to Brazil's - 10-20% range.

This does suggest that there are four areas, or four 'acts' of main story missions.

And this alone suggests that the main story is at least 30 hours long, and presumably it has a lot more side missions - and the metagame - to add on to this time.

Alienous

An interesting insight into the design of the game regarding its open-world and missions (from the Russian preview).

You can roam the open world but it seems like you start missions in the same way as Ground Zeroes. Roaming the open world plays a part in the missions, though. You can scout out an idea, or prepare in advance (for instance taking out a radio tower to disrupt communications).

Interesting.

SomTervo

An interesting insight into the design of the game regarding its open-world and missions.

You can roam the open world but it seems like you start missions in the same way as Ground Zeroes. Roaming the open world plays a part in the missions, though. You can scout out an idea, or prepare in advance (for instance taking out a radio tower to disrupt communications).

Interesting.

Cool – so missions are 'instanced' (locked off area, cutscenes and events), but the patrols/locations/interactive structure are the same across on-mission and free-roam.

Fantastic. This is allaying my fears of the missions being super disjointed from the world and adventure.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Good point. It was a rough estimate from a PR guy, not the game's actual completion stat. Chances are Russia Guy's total completion stat was similar to Brazil's - 10-20% range.

This does suggest that there are four areas, or four 'acts' of main story missions.

And this alone suggests that the main story is at least 30 hours long, and presumably it has a lot more side missions - and the metagame - to add on to this time.

Mhm, totally.

And you know, to add on to that, while MGS4 for example certainly had its emotional heights every act, Act 1 didn't exactly delve too deeply into things. It was the beginning. It presented some questions and didn't answer them... and it didn't even present half the questions in the game. Heh.

If Afghanistan has this "problem" and even Africa has this "problem" and neither region really pounds us with story revelations, then to me that's still not damning. Not if the latter missions give us more of what I want. It's quite like Kojima, in fact, to keep things pretty simple for a while early on. No one really remembers MGS2 specifically because of its surprise Fortune fight, for instance.

Plasma

Banned
I only really felt it sounded ridiculous when compared to Brazil's playtime/completion. Also I roughly second what you say here above.

- Brazil played for 15 hours (same as every other journalist)
- Brazil said the press guys commented that he made it further than anyone else
- Brazil had 14% completion
- Brazil said he only cheesed one mission and felt bad about it so took his time about every other mission
- Russian guy says he got 30-40% completion and made it to South Africa (presumably in the same 15 hours as every other journalist on the planet)

Even if the Russian guy isn't wrong 15 hours for playing less than half of the game is a hell of a long time, it's not like it is short.

SomTervo

Even if the Russian guy isn't wrong 15 hours for playing less than half of the game is a hell of a long time, it's not like it is short.

Absolutely.

Mhm, totally.

And you know, to add on to that, while MGS4 for example certainly had its emotional heights every act, Act 1 didn't exactly delve too deeply into things. It was the beginning. It presented some questions and didn't answer them... and it didn't even present half the questions in the game. Heh.

If Afghanistan has this "problem" and even Africa has this "problem" and neither region really pounds us with story revelations, then to me that's still not damning. Not if the latter missions give us more of what I want. It's quite like Kojima, in fact, to keep things pretty simple for a while early on. No one really remembers MGS2 specifically because of its surprise Fortune fight, for instance.

Indeed. Also, for the first time despite his comments, this literally looks like it's going to be Kojima's last MGS game – possibly the last MGS title ever – and I really doubt he's going to skimp on the story. It's going to be interesting to see.

I thought the Russian guy was told that he got through 40% of the story, That is very different to an overall completion percentage which changes by ranks, collectibles, side ops etc.

When you finish the main mission in Ground Zeroes your completion is displayed on the title screen and can be lower than 10%.

SomTervo

I thought the Russian guy was told that he got through 40% of the story, That is very different to an overall completion percentage which changes by ranks, collectibles, side ops etc.

When you finish the main mission in Ground Zeroes your completion can be lower than 10%.

You're right and I acknowledged this to JeffZero after I made that post.

When you finish the main mission in Ground Zeroes your completion can be lower than 10%.

and then you have to collect things, do little side ops and replay the same mission over again in the same area to get 100%

Lets not kid ourselves here, just because the completion rate is low, it doesn't mean that trying to fill it up is going to be rewarding or even worth it gameplay wise.

SomTervo

I'm amazed at how much people are jumping to negative conclusions from these previews.

The only negative opinions are coming from:

- the minority who are traditional MGS fans and like cutscenes/linear level and game design
- the one Russian journalist who said he felt it wasn't a positive departure from series style (he falls into the category above)
- the unknown quantity of microtransactions in the game

All the discussion is revolving around these three points, really. And aside from that, perspectives are wholly positive.

brau

The only negative opinions are coming from:

- the minority who are traditional MGS fans and like cutscenes/linear level and game design
- the one Russian journalist who said he felt it wasn't a positive departure from series style (he falls into the category above)
- the unknown quantity of microtransactions in the game

All the discussion is revolving around these three points, really. And aside from that, perspectives are wholly positive.

i had a small issue with the missions locking you into one smaller area. if you deviate from this you will insta fail.

raven777

There was a rumor from someone that attended the preview event, but now is confirmed: the game has microtransactions (http://www.tmag.it/?p=57626).

The italian pre-order's page on the PSN says “Acquisti in-game opzionali”, that in english stands for “Optional in-game purchases”.

schermata-2015-06-10-alle-11.08.jpg

This could still be just for MGO stuff...

I hope..

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Oh yeah, and if I'm coming across as oddly negative, I'm still pretty hype for the game. I have my worries, but I look forward to hopefully dispelling them in just 11 or so short weeks.

The only especially weird stuff Russian Guy said (IMO) was the bits about lacking choreography that misaligns with what's been seen in the trailers.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, and if I'm coming across as oddly negative, I'm still pretty hype for the game. I have my worries, but I look forward to hopefully dispelling them in just 11 or so short weeks.

The only especially weird stuff Russian Guy said (IMO) was the bits about lacking choreography that misaligns with what's been seen in the trailers.

What do you mean, chief?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
What do you mean, chief?

I wish I could say! It'd be helpful for all of us. :p

Somewhere in... I think the last page of this thread, someone pointed out that the Russian fellow with the less-than-glowing review of his time at the preview event said that the choreography and camerawork in the cutscenes is lacking and that it isn't representative of what was seen in the trailers.

What's he saying? Is he just blowing smoke? Certainly possible, I dunno. But it really sticks out to me as... odd.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could say! It'd be helpful for all of us. :p

Somewhere in... I think the last page of this thread, someone pointed out that the Russian fellow with the less-than-glowing review of his time at the preview event said that the choreography and camerawork in the cutscenes is lacking and that it isn't representative of what was seen in the trailers.

What's he saying? Is he just blowing smoke? Certainly possible, I dunno. But it really sticks out to me as... odd.

Ah, okay.

I don't think it's unusual for trailers to use stuff that doesn't in the final game. At the same time, I'd be very surprised - given some of the shots in GZ - if Kojima didn't imprint his usual flashy directing on his swan song.

Alienous

One of the concerns in the Russian preview is the core gameplay loop.

He talks about the Ground Zeroes formula, where you do a main mission in an area then have several side-ops missions to do in the same area. According to him TPP is the inverse of that, where you do several of those side-ops missions first (such as killing a specific target, or destroying a vehicle within a time limit) before you are then able to do the main mission.

So the gameplay loop seems to be 3+ side-ops within a (quite large) area, a main mission in that area, 3+ side ops in another area (such as another region of Afghanistan/Africa) etc.

It occupies a similar mission structure to the first Assassin's Creed, seemingly. That isn't worrying, but how the side-ops vary as the game progresses might play into how good the experience is. It certainly seems quite far away to how games like Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption or even Far Cry 3/4 design their missions within the open-world.

SomTervo

i had a small issue with the missions locking you into one smaller area. if you deviate from this you will insta fail.

I have a very big issue with that, personally. The only caveats we are aware of:

- that the open world in free roam is the same, shared open world as in locked-off missions. So, in theory, if you place/damage things while in free roam, these states will remain in a mission's closed-off area
- in an interview last year I think with Edge magazine, one of MGS' level designers said that certain missions take place over massive areas. As in, "cross this whole valley, then cross this whole city, then you'll be at your objective".

These two aspects have really alleviated my worries about missions being too constrained geographically. I'm quite sure a lot of missions will take place over significant parts of the open world, and surely you'd gain nothing from straying really far from your objective anyway. Now we just need to hope the balance is right and you won't get failed for accidentally leaving.

One of the concerns in the Russian preview is the core gameplay loop.

He talks about the Ground Zeroes formula, where you do a main mission in an area then have several side-ops missions to do in the same area. According to him TPP is the inverse of that, where you do several of those side-ops missions first (such as killing a specific target, or destroying a vehicle within a time limit) before you are then able to do the main mission.

So the gameplay loop seems to be 3+ side-ops within a (quite large) area, a main mission in that area, 3+ side ops in another area (such as another region of Afghanistan/Africa) etc.

It occupies a similar mission structure to the first Assassin's Creed, seemingly. That isn't worrying, but how the side-ops vary as the game progresses might play into how good the experience is. It certainly seems quite far away to how games like Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption or even Far Cry 3/4 design their missions within the open-world.

This is also really interesting.

However, other previews and info from Konami have suggested that the side missions are optional and go far beyond tying to the main mission. They can tie to whole-game abilities or options, eg more gadgets, more resources, 'assistant characters' like the dog, etc. It's also been suggested that you have to actually look for some of them to trigger the content.

This is far and away different to Assassin's Creed's mission loop, let alone how GTA/Far Cry handle their open worlds. It sounds like TPP is carving its own very unique path through open world mission structure.

There was a rumor from someone that attended the preview event, but now is confirmed: the game has microtransactions (http://www.tmag.it/?p=57626).

The italian pre-order's page on the PSN says “Acquisti in-game opzionali”, that in english stands for “Optional in-game purchases”.

To be fair, most triple A games these days can't justify their budget on sales alone; DLCs are a necessity as an additional revenue stream.

With that said, FUCK YOU KONAMI. First you trash Kojima, now you're putting this shit into MGSV? I seriously hope this is for multiplayer only, or purely cosmetic additions; what I fear the most is that this creeps into the peace walker crafting system a la clash of clans micro-transaction style. Has no one learned from Ubisoft and the money grabbing shitfest that was Unity?

SyberWolf

To be fair, most triple A games these days can't justify their budget on sales alone; DLCs are a necessity as an additional revenue stream.

With that said, FUCK YOU KONAMI. First you trash Kojima, now you're putting this shit into MGSV? I seriously hope this is for multiplayer only, or purely cosmetic additions; what I fear the most is that this creeps into the peace walker crafting system a la clash of clans micro-transaction style. Has no one learned from Ubisoft and the money grabbing shitfest that was Unity?

like you said its ok as long as it isnt pay 2 win stuff

I don't care if there are microtransactions in this. Like every other game that ever had them I'll just ignore it. I've never spent a cent on them.

so what's this im hearing about BB not knowing how to speak russian in this game? Didn he spend like half of MGS3 speaking russian? It seems like some sort of weird thing for him to forget, you know, an entire language

Erban1

I agree, but consider this: through all of the previews no one has complained at all about the amount of time it takes to craft new items or build new struts for mother base, everyone claimed to have quite a few different struts built over the course of the 15 or so hours they got to play. I think it would have been pointed out or complained about by now if natural progression was crippled in favor of microtransactions.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't care if there are microtransactions in this. Like every other game that ever had them I'll just ignore it. I've never spent a cent on them.

The concern that most people have here (in my experience) is that games are adding lots of time-consuming-for-the-sake-of-time-consuming secondary content and it's pretty clear it's so time-consuming so that people with no patience can cut out the wait via purchases. These systems would never have been in place in the past, before microtransactions were "perfected."

I personally rarely notice, but I can see where this would be a major issue with some.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
so what's this im hearing about BB not knowing how to speak russian in this game? Didn he spend like half of MGS3 speaking russian? That seems like some sort of weird thing for him to forget, you know, an entire language

Yes, you need to locate a translator in Afghanistan and recruit them in order to rectify the situation, it seems. Side op thingy.

Very minor potential spoiler...?

I read somewhere that the rationale is that the coma messed up his brain. Sketchy, maybe, sure... but something.

Edit: Aww crap, I knew not sleeping would eventually make me mess up like this. Sorry for the double-post. D:

Slowdive

Banned
so what's this im hearing about BB not knowing how to speak russian in this game? Didn he spend like half of MGS3 speaking russian? It seems like some sort of weird thing for him to forget, you know, an entire language

Kojima said that part of his brain was affected by the accident, not unbelievable since it can happen with head injuries.

SomTervo

After GZ he's in a coma for 9 years or so. Loses his memory. Ostensibly.

If we're going full-blown conspiracy, it could be because we aren't actually playing Big Boss.

But I don't buy into that sort of thing.

mattp

Tapes are basically codec sequences, but without the old 'see faces of those talking.'

Sure, you lose the magic of 'activating a codec sequence in a specific situation', but you gain the benefit of it being replayable at any time.

Also, for those who says that tapes of people talking are unrealistic, codec where you sit in a burning room and talk for 5 minutes is just as unrealistic.

Win some, lose some.

this isn't totally true though
without codecs we miss out on all the fun contextual conversations you'd get when you called people when you find new items and locations etc
its a bummer

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
without codecs we miss out on all the fun contextual conversations you'd get when you called people when you find new items and locations etc
its a bummer

I think that's kind of covered by hitting the left bumper... and the wildlife explanations are now part of the 'Zoos' functionality, from what's been said. The function wasn't all that great in GZ but, as with everything we've heard about TPP so far, it seems fair to assume that it'll be expanded in some way.

SomTervo

its a bummer

You can hit L1 whenever you find new items or locations and speak to the team.

Sure, you don't get the shiny interface, the pictures, or the ability to choose who you talk to, but the optional and contextual conversations are still very much there.

Edit: Personally, I'd choose a one-button, seamless "radio the team" ability which doesn't hinder gameplay over the old CODEC system any day. The CODEC system was great at the time, but doesn't fit with modern sensibilities. It's had it's day. If you want more, go play the old games.

Aces&Eights

I'm with you on this. My fear is they really do make it a grindfest to get the basic stuff for base building, weapons, etc. I am all for putting in work and time for stuff but if I have to play 8 hours of base raiding just to get a new ladder so I can get to the second level of my base OR pay $2.00 and get it right away, I'll be irritated.

brau

I have a very big issue with that, personally. The only caveats we are aware of:

- that the open world in free roam is the same, shared open world as in locked-off missions. So, in theory, if you place/damage things while in free roam, these states will remain in a mission's closed-off area
- in an interview last year I think with Edge magazine, one of MGS' level designers said that certain missions take place over massive areas. As in, "cross this whole valley, then cross this whole city, then you'll be at your objective".

These two aspects have really alleviated my worries about missions being too constrained geographically. I'm quite sure a lot of missions will take place over significant parts of the open world, and surely you'd gain nothing from straying really far from your objective anyway. Now we just need to hope the balance is right and you won't get failed for accidentally leaving.

This is also really interesting.

However, other previews and info from Konami have suggested that the side missions are optional and go far beyond tying to the main mission. They can tie to whole-game abilities or options, eg more gadgets, more resources, 'assistant characters' like the dog, etc. It's also been suggested that you have to actually look for some of them to trigger the content.

This is far and away different to Assassin's Creed's mission loop, let alone how GTA/Far Cry handle their open worlds. It sounds like TPP is carving its own very unique path through open world mission structure.

I am not sure. I think a lot of these missions also point out the methods in which to exit or tackle certain goals. one of the hands on said that they wanted to leave by car, but they failed the mission because they had to leave by chopper. Kind of annoying that the game claims to be tactical operations with little to improvise and adapt to any choices you might want to try.

I rather have the whole area available, than have an insta fail because i didn't play the game like the designers wanted. Seems part of the fun from playing an open world game, no?

Still... super hyped about the game. Just a minor gripe i have. Hopefully, the mission areas will be huge and i will eat my own words later. haha

its a bummer

You lose the contextuality of it, but I don't think you will lose the actual conversations if Peace Walker was any indicator.

When you develop specific items/tech/reach new locations, tapes relating to those things are unlocked in Peace Walker.

You can hit L1 whenever you find new items or locations and speak to the team.

Sure, you don't get the shiny interface, the pictures, or the ability to choose who you talk to, but the optional and contextual conversations are still very much there.

Edit: Personally, I'd choose a one-button, seamless "radio the team" ability which doesn't hinder gameplay over the old CODEC system any day. The CODEC system was great at the time, but doesn't fit with modern sensibilities. It's had it's day. If you want more, go play the old games.

I agree. A big gripe with past MGS games has either been long cutscenes or long codec conversations. I think it is a smart decision to instead incorporate it into the gameplay. There is no reason I can't move around and do my thing while someone is feeding me info into my ear holes.

SomTervo

I agree. A big gripe with past MGS games has either been long cutscenes or long codec conversations. I think it is a smart decision to instead incorporate it into the gameplay. There is no reason I can't move around and do my thing while someone is feeding me info into my ear holes.

Exactomundo

I am not sure. I think a lot of these missions also point out the methods in which to exit or tackle certain goals. one of the hands on said that they wanted to leave by car, but they failed the mission because they had to leave by chopper. Kind of annoying that the game claims to be tactical operations with little to improvise and adapt to any choices you might want to try.

I rather have the whole area available, than have an insta fail because i didn't play the game like the designers wanted. Seems part of the fun from playing an open world game, no?

Still... super hyped about the game. Just a minor gripe i have. Hopefully, the mission areas will be huge and i will eat my own words later. haha

Shit, yeah, I hope this isn't the case. And I hope the bolded only happens in certain contextual situations.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Some very interesting questions.

"Are the cut scenes 14 hours long like in MGS4?"

No, and this was a big surprise. The opening prologue begins with the lengthiest cutscene I saw in the my 15 hours with the game, but after that the cutscenes tend to only appear at really key story moments. I've seen some of our readers worry that this removes a big chunk of the magic, but it really doesn't. 1) When the cutscenes do happen they feel really special, and 2) When the cutscenes do happen they are always pretty awesome and packed with fan-service.

More here: http://www.gamesradar.com/your-metal-gear-solid-5-questions-answered/

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

hope this shit's for metal gear online, i can see why kojima wanted to get out of this shit company

brau

Love that the codec conversations are contextual and they don't take you away from gameplay. I think there was a couple of times i fell asleep during a codec conversation in MGS4. Man.. what a bore of a game.

Shit, yeah, I hope this isn't the case. And I hope the bolded only happens in certain contextual situations.

I hope so. I mean, if it makes sense, and there is a sequence i can understand that. But all missions having this same format applied would be a chore.

Arttemis

I doubt the game has 30 hours of story missions. 15-20% is likely like Ground Zeroes or GTA, where you can complete the story missions, a bunch of the side missions, and still have a huge chunk of percentage missing from the tracker.

Alienous

Do we know if guards have to use the radio to start an alert phase or do they just shout near immediately a la GZ?

I haven't seen any clarification on that in the reviews.

It seems like you can destroy radio towers to get a similar result to disable control boxes in Far Cry 3/4 (no reinforcements can be sent to the base).

But yeah, I'd also like to know if a radio system is in place for base wide alerts.

Top Bottom