• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V previews coming 6/9 (no story info though)

I remember one of the scenes they have showed with Ocelot saying 'I'll contact you by radio if I have more information' so I don't think Codec calls are out. Maybe they won't break away from them and you can just talk while running around, which would be the best way. I think the cassette tapes may be for background info or to fill out stories with information you codec calls won't have.

I watched that youtube video last night someone made that was a 2 hour analysis of a popular theory (I won't mention it)
It's kind of cool but like all theory videos it's too long and makes way to many assumptions.

There were a few small details that actually sounds great and then about 90 minutes of reaching too hard.

Azax

I just hope the side missions isn't made cheap like adding timer or so. Like you have 8 min to destroy 5 tanks.

I hope for good variations.

I remember one of the scenes they have showed with Ocelot saying 'I'll contact you by radio if I have more information' so I don't think Codec calls are out. Maybe they won't break away from them and you can just talk while running around, which would be the best way. I think the cassette tapes may be for background info or to fill out stories with information you codec calls won't have.

You can call for intel at any time but it's 1 way. The tapes have 2 way conversations.

You can call for intel at any time but it's 1 way. The tapes have 2 way conversations.

Which is really lame IMO. All indications are the V Snake is a nearly silent protagonist. I don't think I've heard dialog in anything but major cutscene pieces.

It's weird, it feels like this is going to be the MGS game that many of us (including Kojima) wished we could have gotten before now. However, after getting do many MGS games in a certain way, this one is going to be VERY different and I think it's going to rub some people the wrong way, myself included. I love what I'm seeing but the good 'crazy stupid' stuff I love the series for isn't going to be there this time.

brau

Do we know if guards have to use the radio to start an alert phase or do they just shout near immediately a la GZ?

Gabe says "no, they don't have to."

also.

New Poll is up.

qiT1eQ5.png

raven777

I am one of those who loved the long cutscenes and codec conversations. I really enjoyed the codec from MGS2&3, and I was already disappointed with codec from MGS4.

brau

In GZ, you can interrupt them and stop the alert if they don't finish shouting. Still would've preferred the old radio system.

This is kinda like how Splinter Cell Blacklist is. Love that game.

That's lame. I was hoping they'd rectify that shit, but maybe the other way is too easy without it.

PSY・S;167203389 said:

By the way... wouldn't this be the case since Kojima has the reflex system? so that is what would give you the time to eliminate the guard from entering alert mode. Now that you guys bring it up, that was the case in GZ. It does seem out of place eh?

Just finished watching GT's preview and Just Played. All these glowing previews. So hyped! As a longtime MGS fan i'm excited at the new direction it may be going. In Kojima I trust, I guess.

Game sounds absolutely incredible.

zlatko

Banned
Without combing the entire thread:

Do we have new information about Metal Gear Online?

That's the reason I'm taking a week off work when this game releases...

SomTervo

Do we know if guards have to use the radio to start an alert phase or do they just shout near immediately a la GZ?

As others have said, no. But I think reflex mode - the super-slow motion moment - is there to replace this.

I prefer it if guards have to 'radio in', too – but I think Kojima removed this for a reason. I think in an open world, with super reactive game mchanics, the 'guard call-in' system would be, bluntly, too easy. It would probably be straightforward to go through the entire open world and never get an alert because you could easily run down and KO any guard who sees you.

Love that the codec conversations are contextual and they don't take you away from gameplay. I think there was a couple of times i fell asleep during a codec conversation in MGS4. Man.. what a bore of a game.

Yes, totally right.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Someone played the game game for 50 hours in two days? Great Scott!

No, in the video he says someone from Konami came in the room and said that.

But yeah seems like we're looking at a game that will be over 100 hours long.

usp84

Personally i dont worry about the "less cutscenes" thing.Its the first Metal gear that is open world so as with any open world game you can problably play for hours and hours with very litle dialogue.

It would be interesting to see how long the game will be(and how many cutscenes/dialogue there is) if you play like a linear game doing only main missions.

Roldan

From The Guardian preview:

I’ve never played in a sandbox like it, and Afghanistan is only one of several locations (the others are as yet unannounced).

not sure if this is a guess or if we'll really have more than two locations

Slowdive

Banned

cackhyena

This is kinda like how Splinter Cell Blacklist is. Love that game.

By the way... wouldn't this be the case since Kojima has the reflex system? so that is what would give you the time to eliminate the guard from entering alert mode. Now that you guys bring it up, that was the case in GZ. It does seem out of place eh?

It doesn't, but it would be nice to have the radio way back if you turned off Reflex.

Tjamato88

Wasn't that excited for this game and then all these previews have me back on the bandwagon.

I gotta play Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes this summer. I want to go back and do a total replay of all the Metal Gear Solid series. Hopefully PS3 gets a price drop and I'll pick up another one.

.JayZii

Banned
Just finished watching GT's preview and Just Played. All these glowing previews. So hyped! As a longtime MGS fan i'm excited at the new direction it may be going. In Kojima I trust, I guess.

Game sounds absolutely incredible.
I agree. I was pretty lukewarm on MGS4 and didn't think I would be very excited for 5, but the hype has really snuck up on me. It being Kojima's Konami swan song probably doesn't hurt, either.

Sn4ke_911

That story detail that got leaked regarding the beginning of the game? Looks like it has been confirmed here as well:

http://gamingbolt.com/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-preview-the-first-next-generation-game

As far as next-generation games go, many studios seem intent on how man zombies can fill across the screen while minimizing actual gameplay mechanics, and trying to deliver cinema experiences in the span of a four session while rehashing last-generation game mechanics without adding anything new. Aside from the indie studios which have no fears in taking risks by the way of new gameplay mechanics, Triple-A studios appear to be running in fear at the very thought of trying anything new, and so have focused their games on realistic graphics. As far as I’m concerned Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is the first next-generation game.

It brings new gameplay mechanics, expands on those from a variety of different genres and brings them in to one fully-fledged game while still upholding a high-level of graphical quality. And this was just a preview of the game, and I sense many more surprises in stock for when the game actually launches. In the same way the original Metal Gear Solid stood out as a defining factor for Sony’s first PlayStation and to that of their later consoles, The Phantom Pain will do the same for this console generation.

Risev1

BTW guys, are we sure that Gamingbolt is a legit trustworthy website that really did get hands-on with TPP? Just not familiar with the site.

Sn4ke_911

In most open-world games there are buildings you can enter, and buildings you can’t. In the majority of cases, entering any interior requires an immersion-breaking loading screen. Not in MGSV. It is able to do this because, of course, there are fewer buildings in an Afghan settlement than a given patch of LA, but even so, the effect on the player is tremendous. This is integrity of design: the idea that everything in a world is a physical presence that reacts as it should, rather than a solid 3D shape that’s basically wallpaper. So used are we to the disappointment of locked doors, so inured to the possibility that things could be different, that the simple fact you can seamlessly enter any building you see in MGSV strikes with the force of a revolution.

MGSV feels like a game of endless possibilities. MGS as a series has managed one of the industry’s greatest feats, which is to have remained at the cutting edge over four console generations. No other AAA title has managed this. What is even more remarkable is that Kojima and his team have managed to maintain the core elements of the series over this time, and the way they work in MGSV is a revelation.

MGSV promises so much, and after two days in its world it feels like, if anything, it’s going to over-deliver. If this is to be Hideo Kojima’s last Metal Gear Solid then all you can do is salute, and acknowledge that despite the sadness – what a way to go.

oldboss

It doesn't, but it would be nice to have the radio way back if you turned off Reflex.

Well shit, here I was hoping they'd have reconsidered putting the radio system back in ... I really really really hate insta alert in GZ. It severely impacts the fun I have with the game.

Maybe people will mod it out on PC ?

a man can dream

brau

That's lame. I was hoping they'd rectify that shit, but maybe the other way is too easy without it.

PSY・S;167203389 said:

Maybe there will be. I was reading about some type of Relays, that if you destroy, enemies will not be able to have the ability to call for backup from other areas. I don't know if that necessarily means that alert phase will be only for one specific region.

-Deimos

Well shit, here I was hoping they'd have reconsidered putting the radio system back in ... I really really really hate insta alert in GZ. It severely impacts the fun I have with the game.

Maybe people will mod it out on PC ?

a man can dream

"Radio soldiers" are confirmed, but we don't know what they do yet. My best guess is that the alert you get from a soldier shouting only attracts enemies in the immediate area, but if a soldier manages to radio in an alert, you'll get soldiers coming in from other parts of the map.

Top Bottom