• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Prime Corruption screens (retro am gods)

Sharp said:
The fact that very, very few people on GAF seem to have actually liked Echoes, and pretty much everyone was disappointed in it? The GAF collective is often wrong and rarely unanimous, but I don't have unlimited funds and if I'm going to get a Gamecube game at this point it better have damn near universal praise.

It's a pretty sweet game, with nice sharp visuals -- it's only faults are that the dual world survival and puzzling, and the boss battles are all fairly hardcore / daunting at times, and that the areas lack the freshness and awe of Phendrena Drifts or Magmoor.

For MP3, it sounds like they've polished the learning curve / challenge aspect of things, so it'll be easier to get into, but no walk in the park. I approve whole heartedly personally.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
looks pretty good. i just hope it won't be horribly boring like metroid prime 2. prime was the bee's knees, though.

Sharp said:
The fact that very, very few people on GAF seem to have actually liked Echoes, and pretty much everyone was disappointed in it? The GAF collective is often wrong and rarely unanimous, but I don't have unlimited funds and if I'm going to get a Gamecube game at this point it better have damn near universal praise.

I think your grossly overexagerrating. Echoes did some things worse, and some things better than Prime. It did not make the same huge splash as Prime did but it was still, without a doubt, one of the best experiences to be had last generation. And Echoes is one of my favorite games ever. You must be able to get it cheap nowadays, so you'll owe it to yourself to at least try it. It's a masterpiece.

Sharp

Littleberu said:
What? Why wouldn't you get a cheap GC game?
Firstly, the GC sections in most stores around here are tiny to nonexistent these days, so I'd have to actively look for them, which is not worth the effort for subpar games. Secondly, the wireless controller I have kind of sucks and I don't want to waste any money to get a better one. Thirdly, not many games appealed to me on the Gamecube, which is why I didn't get one in the first place. Lastly, I'd rather put my limited funds toward Wii games and music than Gamecube games. The only games I'd really consider getting are Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, RE4 and SSBM, and since Brawl is coming soon and RE4:Wii is apparently the definitive version, only Wind Waker and Metroid Prime are on my purchase list. There are a few other games, like Paper Mario, that I might have gotten if I actually owned a Gamecube, but I don't care enough about them to actively seek them out.

Oh, and also I should probably mention that I don't really like FPS games on the whole. The only reason I even want to try Prime is because I've been assured that it's like Super Metroid in 3D and it's not very much like a traditional FPS at all.

Sharp said:

Well didn't you know that the haters are always more vocal than the lovers ? ...Eh, but really, whatever. It's your choice. I just hope for your purchase that Metroid Prime 3 won't radically split the opinion and won't be considered the same kind of misunderstood gem as Echoes.

The game is looking a tad too familiar IMO. Yes, I don't want it to change too much from Prime on GCN, but seriously... apart from some minor adjustments (visor reflection), the screens are looking quite familiar indeed...

[Nintex]

Gaminglegend said:
The game is looking a tad too familiar IMO. Yes, I don't want it to change too much from Prime on GCN, but seriously... apart from some minor adjustments (visor reflection), the screens are looking quite familiar indeed...
Just look at the vids from Gametrailers, the game has bigger environments. Higher polycounts, better lightning and particles are also seen in the new screens. Just pop in Metroid Prime 2 and notice the lack of lightning on the walls and stuff, this game has some great visuals.

jjasper

I thought MP2 was pretty good after I gave it a second chance but it definately has its problems. I don't know how to explain it other than all of the key parts of the game felt very unoriginal. The whole light and dark world has been done about a million times and hell there has already been a dark samus before. I also didn't like the whole ammo thing and felt like the weapons themselves were unoriginal (woo light and dark beams).

Although I will say that the light suit, Sanctuary Fortress, and most of the real bosses (not guardians) were awesome.

Jaagen

I wonder if this is a 24bit color game. It looks rich, nonetheless.

But what I want, is an European release date. This is the main game on my radar right now, but I don't want to wait until november to play it. If only we could get an exact date(on this and/or the freeloader), I would feel much easier inside.

Wowbagger

If it's the difficulty complaints that scare you away, know that MP1's boss fights are overall much harder than those in MP2. You've probably heard of the infamous Boost Ball Guardian miniboss, right? Well, in MP1, all the major boss fights are that hard (not the minibosses, though). I had to retry each at least a couple of times and usually ended up with almost zero health scrambling for a save station. In MP2, the only other really hardcore fight is the final. The other boss fights are just plain fun (and there's a ton more of them than in MP1!). You tend to get more health throughout so you end up prolonging the battles rather than having to try them over and over when you mess up a bit. I usually ended up with about half health left on my first try. So rather than being frustrating speed bumps, they were a welcome break from the (enjoyable!) methodical exploration of the dark world. (Oh, and by the time you really get tired of exploring it, you get upgrades that let you run straight through!)

Overall, MP2 felt more polished to me. I especially liked the improved scanning system (and that there wasn't huge amounts of scannable items piled together in one small area), lift animations and morph ball puzzles, and how the hub-like world design meant less backtracking (you can pretty much get anywhere quickly, unlike in the first game where you'll probably end up walking through the entire lava area a million times). The slightly more cinematic storytelling didn't hurt, either. The game might not have areas as stunningly beautiful as Chozo Ruins or Phenandra Drifts, but the architecture has a more alien and foreboding atmosphere that suits the series better.

Both games would be masterpieces if only the final boss in each could actually be defeaten. Why make the final boss feel like it escaped from a much harder difficulty level? When I make it all through a game I want to be rewarded with a fun, epic and fairly easy fight followed by a great ending sequence, and neither MP had those things. My main hope for MP3 is that it will actually be possible and worthwhile to finish! :)

Buggy Loop

Sharp said:

What?

You certainly didnt hang around the MP2 official thread when the game was released. Some prefered the original due to the ost or levels like phendrana drifts or thought the dark world was a bit tedious, some prefered echoes due to the badass level design (yes better than prime1), more mature background story, gameplay mechanics, some of the best boss battles of last gen.

I dont think anyone that loved the original prime was disapointed with prime 2, maybe it didnt surpass it in their opinion but then again, surpassing near perfection isnt something that happen very often.

Personally, im a huge fan of both games, prime 2's gameplay mechanics and level design kind of spoiled me, i went back to prime 1 and while i remember it as the better game, its not just as fun after the items and puzzles of prime 2.

and i would certainly put it above wind waker.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i loved echoes until i got to the boost ball boss, never could get past him, might try agian later.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
he is pretty easy, super missile his ass he goes down with 4 shots of those.

when he is in the orange liquid form quickly go into morph ball form and use the morph ball bombs.

you should have 4-5 energy tanks already.

Matchew

Windu said:
i loved echoes until i got to the boost ball boss, never could get past him, might try agian later.

I'm playing echoes now and I just got done beating him. I don't get how you are having a problem with him. You should have four tanks if you don't then that might be your problem. If not do what Error said.

Windu

SFGamer said:
I'm playing echoes now and I just got done beating him. I don't get how you are having a problem with him. You should have four tanks if you don't then that might be your problem. If not do what Error said.

i guess i just suck :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wowbagger said:
If it's the difficulty complaints that scare you away, know that MP1's boss fights are overall much harder than those in MP2. You've probably heard of the infamous Boost Ball Guardian miniboss, right? Well, in MP1, all the major boss fights are that hard (not the minibosses, though). I had to retry each at least a couple of times and usually ended up with almost zero health scrambling for a save station. In MP2, the only other really hardcore fight is the final. The other boss fights are just plain fun (and there's a ton more of them than in MP1!). You tend to get more health throughout so you end up prolonging the battles rather than having to try them over and over when you mess up a bit. I usually ended up with about half health left on my first try. So rather than being frustrating speed bumps, they were a welcome break from the (enjoyable!) methodical exploration of the dark world. (Oh, and by the time you really get tired of exploring it, you get upgrades that let you run straight through!)

[...]

Both games would be masterpieces if only the final boss in each could actually be defeaten. Why make the final boss feel like it escaped from a much harder difficulty level? When I make it all through a game I want to be rewarded with a fun, epic and fairly easy fight followed by a great ending sequence, and neither MP had those things. My main hope for MP3 is that it will actually be possible and worthwhile to finish! :)

Wha? Ok it's pretty weird that you would consider the bosses in MP1 overall harder than 2. The early bosses in MP1 were undeniably simple: once you knew their pattern or weak spot, they could be taken down without much health loss. MP2's bosses required a bit more skill and patience. MP's bosses only became a bit of a challenge when you played on hard. Omega Pirate is pretty much the hardest boss in that game, and even he can be taken down with ease once you follow the pattern.

Why would you dislike a bit of a challenge at the game's end? Your demand for a fairly easy boss would leave many gamers unrewarded, including myself. Bosses like Meta Ridley or Metroid Prime itself are still memorable to me because they didn't go down with ease. I'm far from a good gamer, but the final bosses in both MP games were really do-able to beat.

Omega Pirate was NOT easy after you found a pattern. those darn trooper pirates spawn so much.

But in general, MP2 Echoes bosses are much harder than MP1. It's not the tough boss fights that disappoints, it's the backtracking through the nasty dark world. A bit too much backtracking and looking around for my tastes, especially when almost every room locked on itself with dark versions of monsters.

Error said:
he is pretty easy, super missile his ass he goes down with 4 shots of those.

when he is in the orange liquid form quickly go into morph ball form and use the morph ball bombs.

you should have 4-5 energy tanks already.

You guys make it sound like it's some simple process that anyone can do. The dark world is constantly draining your energy, and sometimes the boss will spawn his orange form and CHARGE you taking away almost two-thirds of a tank with each shot.

It's not just some "do A do B and win" process, and it misleads/puts down those who can't win with that version. It works yes, but it's not easy

chase

Looks good, can't wait to see videos. Hopefully direct feed. All the offscreen stuff looks great, but that seems to hide and exacerbate different problems a game might have.

PkunkFury

I love how people hate on Nintendo for making games more casual, yet also hate on MP2. MP1 is a little school girl compared to MP2. Harder boss battles, genius morph ball puzzles, keeping track of dual worlds during exploration. Noticing the suttle differences between one world and the other to get acces to new areas. And an overworld that unravels through so many twists and turns, yet shockingly becomes the most compact and accessible Metroid design to date. MP2 is a hardcore game, and its complete rejection will do more to make Corruption casual than anything NCL might want them to change

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
LanceStern said:
Omega Pirate was NOT easy after you found a pattern. those darn trooper pirates spawn so much.

You had to be really fast with your super missiles, so you could take him down with the least amount of time wasted. Then when his shields were down, if you timed it exactly right, you could fire 2 supers at him. Space Pirates? Just ignore them (by which I mean, dodge their attacks, but don't bother actually fighting them). Omega Pirate will sometimes do a ground blast attack that takes out a number of spawned pirates. I followed something along the lines of this when I tried him on hard and I don't recall having much trouble in that mode.

USD

LanceStern said:

But in general, MP2 Echoes bosses are much harder than MP1. It's not the tough boss fights that disappoints, it's the backtracking through the nasty dark world. A bit too much backtracking and looking around for my tastes, especially when almost every room locked on itself with dark versions of monsters.
If you have/use the right equipment to take down the pirates quickly (ie the special missile attacks, especially the ice spread and super missiles) it's not that hard. You should be able to take them out before he's at his vulnerable point. It shouldn't take much more than one try to figure out the pattern and one to actually execute.

As for MP2, I think people let its flaws get to them way too much. They'r easy to spot, but the game is still almost as great as its predecessor.

Sharp

Okay guys, I still don't think I am getting MP2. I don't even know if I'll like Prime, yet. But if I'm feeling the urge for more Metroid after I'm done maybe I will reconsider. And in case I haven't said it yet the screens look pretty good.

Tristam

Sharp said:
Okay guys, I still don't think I am getting MP2. I don't even know if I'll like Prime, yet. But if I'm feeling the urge for more Metroid after I'm done maybe I will reconsider. And in case I haven't said it yet the screens look pretty good.

Sounds good. I'd like to hear your impressions on Prime when you're finished. If you're skeptical, welcome to early 2002 when we all were. :D Some people still reject the Prime formula, but the majority appreciate it. Super Metroid is an incredible game (and is among my personal top 10), but Prime is #1 for me.

fresquito

PkunkFury said:
I love how people hate on Nintendo for making games more casual, yet also hate on MP2. MP1 is a little school girl compared to MP2. Harder boss battles, genius morph ball puzzles, keeping track of dual worlds during exploration. Noticing the suttle differences between one world and the other to get acces to new areas. And an overworld that unravels through so many twists and turns, yet shockingly becomes the most compact and accessible Metroid design to date. MP2 is a hardcore game, and its complete rejection will do more to make Corruption casual than anything NCL might want them to change
It's got nothing to do with being hard or not. MP2 feels cheap in its dificulty. Like these enemies that you have to attack from behind or with rockets. They will release a ray if you are far and attack you with the horn if you are near. Are they hard? No, they are pretty easy once you know their pattern. But good God, they are boring to beat, yet they respawn once and again after leaving the place. They totally destroyed my will to explore the world and backtrack at all.

It's like playing RE4 in the highest dificulty setting. Is it harder? Not really, you just got to go slower and use the knife a little bit more. Was it a more rewarding experience? Not it wasn't. MP2 is the same, it's not that the game is more difficult, it's just got a slower and more dense pacing.

fresquito said:
It's got nothing to do with being hard or not. MP2 feels cheap in its dificulty. Like these enemies that you have to attack from behind or with rockets. They will release a ray if you are far and attack you with the horn if you are near. Are they hard? No, they are pretty easy once you know their pattern. But good God, they are boring to beat, yet they respawn once and again after leaving the place. They totally destroyed my will to explore the world and backtrack at all.

You mean like the Giant Beetle in Metroid Prime 1?
:lol

{Mike} said:
The guns sucked in Echoes, as did the stupid dark world.

Ammo system sucked. Dark world seemed too gimmicky.

Windu

Death_Born said:
You mean like the Giant Beetle in Metroid Prime 1?
:lol

Ammo system sucked. Dark world seemed too gimmicky.

have they said anything about ammo in prime 3? i hope it isn't in it, didn't like it too much.

RagnarokX

Windu said:
have they said anything about ammo in prime 3? i hope it isn't in it, didn't like it too much.
Well since beams stack is would seem highly unlikely that there would be ammo for them.

Top Bottom