• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Prime Corruption screens (retro am gods)

Dave Long

Banned
As much as I dig the old bosses, I really like seeing new designs Retro thinks up on their own. New bosses mean no pre-conceived notions of how they should act and react. You can make the boss fit the gameplay much better that way rather than trying to shoehorn the gameplay in around an old boss.

GrayFoxPL

In character design, models and color palette looks better then Halo 3(beta)!

/Jumps off the roof

Ha! Your flamethrowers won't touch me!

:lol

ShockingAlberto said:
I think ZM showed that they built skeletons for Ridley in case he died.

Probably, by the time SM rolled around, they found a way to bring him back in the flesh.

Ridley is like a Cylon. No matter how many times you kill them, their consciousness gets transferred into a new body.

SCReuter

jjasper said:
Also by doing that could lead up to 2 by showing Samus escaping and heading to SR388 to get there before the Pirates do.
Which fits perfectly with Nintendo's planned Metroid II DS announcement at this year's E3. Genius.

Let's face it, Dread is never coming. :'(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
SCReuter said:
Which fits perfectly with Nintendo's planned Metroid II DS announcement at this year's E3. Genius.

I so want this to happen. Ever since we speculated about it in that general Metroid thread a while ago. It would be so, so awesome. Those big ass metroid designs lend themselves perfectly for a remake.

GrayFoxPL said:
In character design, models and color palette looks better then Halo 3(beta)!

:lol

I think this is pretty much a no-brainer. Style and immersiveness are Metroid's strengths. It's designs (environment, characters, pretty much everything) are far more distinct and interesting than Halo's. Of course, Halo is great for different reasons (just try to throw a Metroid LAN party!). This comparison keeps being made, but it's not particularly astute. They about as disparate as first-person games can be.

dark10x said:
I like that shot, but I'm hoping the background looks better in motion. Prime 2 used a lot of low resolution, flat bitmapped skyboxes in similar open areas and it looked terrible. Prime 1 was completely land locked so you never really had the chance to look out over the skybox.

It doesn't look too bad in that shot, but we'll see how it feels while playing.

I disagree, one of the best looking areas in MP2 was a skybox IMO, just after you
knock dark samus off the roof of the top area of Dark Sanctuary Fortress

I guess it's kinda like pre-rendered backgrounds in RE in that it's not 'true' in some techincal sense, but the scale and the great colours really worked in that area.

Compared to that, this MP3 screenshot is very drab in my eyes; the only good thing about it is the suit design. I don't need HD, but i sure as hell don't want to see those aliased skinny grapple track things in the distance either!

I wonder if we'll see the Adam Samus mentioned in fusion in MP3, she said he was her CO while she was following the federation's orders, which seems to be what's happening in MP3

koam said:
A battle with Mother Brain would reak of awesomeness.
Yeah, the first introduction to Metroid Prime was a cocktease. I thought it was Mother Brain hanging there in the middle of the room. It looked just like it!

I'd just really like to see Retro try and truly tie it in with the main series–the main villains are first and foremost and have ALWAYS been the Space Pirates. Mother Brain needs to be in this game, I need another incredible battle with it. I would really like if the final planet would be Zebes, where you explore Crateria and perhaps even Kraid's area.

Kaputa

koam said:
A battle with Mother Brain would reak of awesomeness.
Eh. I don't really want Mother Brain to become something Samus fights in every game.
The showdown in Super Metroid was the most climactic and epic thing ever,
I think it would take away from it a bit if Mother Brain started being thrown in like Ridley.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This looks great. Loved MP1, never was interested enough to play MP2, but this will probably get me back into the series.

I know it's an old game.. but please use tags for major spoilers on Super Metroid like that.
I got into the series with Prime, waiting for the VC version to become available. I think others might appreciate it, or maybe I'm the only one and should get out.

Link wears a green hat

Kaputa

Visualante said:
I know it's an old game.. but please use tags for major spoilers on Super Metroid like that.
I got into the series with Prime, waiting for the VC version to become available. I think others might appreciate it, or maybe I'm the only one and should get out.

Link wears a green hat
I don't think it will hurt your enjoyment of the game, but post edited nonetheless. Super Metroid is one of those games that I don't even think about spoiler-wise, like Final Fantasy VII. Sorry about that.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
MPW said:
not impressed.

Yeah, way to contribute to the thread in a meaningful fashion there, junior.

This will likely be the game that pushes me into buying a Wii. I'm a little concerned about how the WaggleWand is going to be implemented, just because I always love the way the controls were implemented in the 'cube titles, but it's Retro, so I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work spectacularly. As for the graphics, they may not be as technically as impressive as stuff we're seeing on the other consoles, but from a design perspective, the Prime titles have always been amazing and this only looks to improve upon it. I'll take great design over some extra polys any day.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
MP2 is one game where I dont get the hate.

- looks and sounds better than MP1
- better morph ball puzzles
- better bosses
- Sanctuary Fortress.

I dont even mind the dark/light world thing, I think it (dark world) added a sense of urgency and fear everytime you were in there which worked very well imo. I still prefer MP1 because the game blew the shit out of me the first time I played it but imo MP2 is by no means the horrible game some people make it out to be.

papercut

Error said:

- better bosses
- Sanctuary Fortress.

I dont even mind the dark/light world thing, I think it (dark world) added a sense of urgency and fear everytime you were in there which worked very well imo. I still prefer MP1 because the game blew the shit out of me the first time I played it but imo MP2 is by no means the horrible game some people make it out to be.

I just didn't like having to run to safe zones to regain energy. Made for a lot of standing around.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
you didnt have to, almost every safe zone has contents around it with health (among ammo) and once you get 2 energy expansions+dark suit you dont really have to worry about your health in the dark world.

the only shitty part about MP2 is the stupid key hunt quest at the end, totally unnecessary imo.

Error said:
the only shitty part about MP2 is the stupid key hunt quest at the end, totally unnecessary imo.

That was the only aspect of MP2 that I actively disliked. Everything else was at least okay, and most of the rest of game [not counting the dark world] was great.

Error said:

- better bosses
- Sanctuary Fortress.

Boring environments, annoying world switching, HUNTING FOR KEYS

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Branduil said:
Yes you can. But most of the time it would be dumb to do it without lock-on anyway. I'm not sure why you'd even want that in a Metroid game.
Yeah, there's no point in having that degree of control in a game promoting "keyboard and mouse controls" and the capability of wii controls in general.

Busty

Banned
It's about what I was expecting, but in saying that, I was still seriously impressed. I was a huge advocate of the Gamecube's power as a console for pushing 3-D visuals but it all got lost in the war of words between the PS2 and Xbox. As seeing as the Wii is based off that hardware, it should come as no surprise that the power is there.

Though I tried, I just couldn't get into Metroid Prime at all. But in saying that I can cetainly appreciate it as a franchise and certainly what Retro did with it.

This is going to beone fo those rare FPS games (alongside Bioshock IMHO) where the total lack of online multiplayer won't effect the game's sales with it's audience. This is the sort of game that the Wii has been crying out for, I suspect that come the end of the year, this game will be second only to SSB in terms of importance.

MoxManiac

samus must have one hell of a tiny waist.

Reminds me of that udon akuma pic shown for SSF2T HD that had horrible proportions of his legs compared to his upper body.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i think that her waist looks super small because she is wearing a big suit with huge shoulders.

SantaC

gotta love the reader comments from this site :lol

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=16308

I agree everyone here. Nintendo this was a big mistake. Your making a killing off the Wii and you can't allocate more resources to add a very important feature to MP for the hardcore fans??

Poorly done Nintendo, poorly done.

"We only have so many resources". Apparently none of those resources know how to make an online multiplayer game. At this point, they have no excuse. Sure, HD isn't as prolific as we'd like, but most gamers have broadband these days.

I believe they shifted the resources devoted to online-gaming over to the money counting department.

Holy S. Wasn't this supposed to be the first Wii shooter with online play? And now they just scrap all of that? I'm actually kind of stunned and offended. Guess i'm not surprised. Nintendo can't seem to get multiplayer right if their life depended on it.

Click to view bysmitty's User Page bysmitty (65) Click to view bysmitty's User Profile Talk to bysmitty in the Shout! Box Jul 03, 2007 - 08:49 am
It is pretty disappointing to see a Wii game missing online play which even last years DS version featured. I love my Wii and Nintendo in general but the online implementation has been downright sad so far. There just isn't any excuse.

...bysmitty

Ok I wrote a GIANT message in regards to this topic but I got ****ing caught in a infinite loop between an error occured on posting and that god damn ad page!

In a nutshell I said it's sad to see a knockoff game like Marion Strikers have online features, while a tier-one franchise such as Metroid is given the shaft.

My translation?
They could have put in an online features, but did not want to miss the christmas season for all their extra moneyzzz.

what a bunch of whiners. Typical PC gamers who think everything revolves around online deathmatch.

The only acceptable Metroid multiplayer would be:

One side Federation Troopers
One side Space Pirates

And have different gametypes like CTF, King of the Hill....

Oh wait, that's Halo.

Metroid is not a multiplayer game, don't try to make it one. Singleplayer all the way.

Sharp

Shut up about Metroid multiplayer everyone. It was a crisis narrowly averted, and we should all be appropriately thankful, but it's time to move on.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
SantaC said:
what a bunch of whiners. Typical PC gamers who think everything revolves around online deathmatch.

i dont really think it would be pc gamers, pc gamers tend to be older and have played or heard of metroid before prime. I wouldnt be surprised that most of the people that are whining about mp are the people that the prime games were their first metroid experience.

Tristam

Sharp said:
Shut up about Metroid multiplayer everyone. It was a crisis narrowly averted, and we should all be appropriately thankful, but it's time to move on.

Nah, Retro said they only briefly considered it at the beginning of the development cycle.

By the way, have you played through Prime and Echoes yet and do you intend to get Corruption?

Cheerilee

jjasper said:
:lol yeah sorry. But if you think about it, it would be impossible for it to take place between 2 and 3 as they occur without any dead time between them.
I've never liked that theory, since Super Metroid says verbally that there wasn't any dead time between 1&2 either (or at least nothing involving any Metroids), and the only reason people don't like the idea of time between 2&3 is that they don't like the idea of Samus spending any time taking care of the Hatchling as a pet before handing it over for research, and I'm one of the people who likes that idea (every magical girl needs a cute, unique, super-powered pet).

Alkaliine said:
Oh I'm an idiot. Plus i just realised that there's heaps of Metroids in Prime, and if it took place after 2 then there should only be 1 Metroid (the hatchling). Bah.
That's assuming that the extermination on SR388 was absolute, and that the Space Pirates didn't make off with one somewhere (since you only need to expose a Metroid to beta radiation to have it multiply into an army of them). And every time Retro or whoever makes that happen before Metroid 2, it makes that sort of thing seem more likely, and makes Metroid 2's extermination make less sense.

Death_Born said:

One side Space Pirates

Oh wait, that's Halo.

Metroid is not a multiplayer game, don't try to make it one. Singleplayer all the way.

That's the kind of thing I'd like to see in a spin off game or something. It'd be awesome to see Samus in action from a Federation trooper's point of view, and flesh out the elements of the Universe we never see. Where are the human characters based, what do they do, are they under threat etc?

I imagine a lot of cool vehicle possibilities as well, metroids and pirates as enemies, metroids as weapons, nice locations... I mean, it's a good universe really. I see why people want to enjoy it in other ways, ie multiplayer.

I think it's just better if Retro concentrates on what they do best... creating immersive adventure content like the Prime series.

oracrest

when people complain about there being no multiplayer in corruption, it reminds me of people who say 28 days later... is bad because "theres like NOO zombies in it.."

Death_Born said:

One side Space Pirates

Dont copy me, that´s what i wrote topics and topics ago ;)

And yeah, make it a whole spin-off, meaning that there´s also a singleplayer-campaign.
After all, Halo is what Metroid years ago had in its story. Halo just made it into a game before ^^
All the haters seem to not to be able to imagine the awsomeness of a game Federal Space Troopers vs. Space Pirates.
I´d love to play as a Space Pirate with JetPak, flying through the air and shooting missiles from above. Or climbing vertical walls with my claws.
ACtually, it´d be a lot like Alien vs. Predator, only that the humans would be humans, and Space Pirates would be aliens and predators combined....XD

Sharp

Tristam said:
Nah, Retro said they only briefly considered it at the beginning of the development cycle.

By the way, have you played through Prime and Echoes yet and do you intend to get Corruption?
I will probably get Prime, and I may get Corruption depending on reviews. I don't intend to get Echoes because I don't really like the idea of deliberately subjecting myself to bad games. The problem with getting Prime these days is that I probably couldn't get an older sequence-breakable version, and Metroid games' sequence breaks are by far the best thing to ever happen to gaming ever.

Sharp

Stormbringer said:
What exactly makes you think that Echoes is actually a bad game ?
The fact that very, very few people on GAF seem to have actually liked Echoes, and pretty much everyone was disappointed in it? The GAF collective is often wrong and rarely unanimous, but I don't have unlimited funds and if I'm going to get a Gamecube game at this point it better have damn near universal praise.

Sharp said:
The fact that very, very few people on GAF seem to have actually liked Echoes, and pretty much everyone was disappointed in it? The GAF collective is often wrong and rarely unanimous, but I don't have unlimited funds and if I'm going to get a Gamecube game at this point it better have damn near universal praise.

What? Why wouldn't you get a cheap GC game?

Top Bottom