• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Prime Corruption screens (retro am gods)

Tristam

Takuhi said:
They sounded pretty good! Pretty professional for the main parts, kind of generic for the soldiers on the field (as you'd expect). I asked if there were any known voice actors and they said they were all recorded locally in Texas, so apparently not.

Also, they refused to comment on whether or not a voice actor was hired for Samus. Which surely means yes, right?

In an interview with AMN during E3 '06 they said that Samus would be a silent protagonist again. They could've changed it, but I hope not. I like my silent protagonists. :D

JDSN

Banned
Takuhi said:
They sounded pretty good! Pretty professional for the main parts, kind of generic for the soldiers on the field (as you'd expect). I asked if there were any known voice actors and they said they were all recorded locally in Texas, so apparently not.

Also, they refused to comment on whether or not a voice actor was hired for Samus. Which surely means yes, right?

Well, I suppose they are gonna use Jennifer Hale again to do Samus. But I wonder if their refusal means she is gonna say something instead of just screaming and groaning.

amrum

119828-4-2.jpg

VS

Tingle.jpg

FIGHT !

zooL

I hope the lock-on in Corruption works like this: It only locks your viewpoint to the nearest enemy while pressed, but still allows you to move the crosshair independently withe the pointer while circle-strafing. The crosshair-fixed-to-the-center-lock-on in combination with the pointer controls always seemed arkward to me in the videos. And controlling your left hand with the Wii remote (right hand) while opening those doorlocks makes no sense to me either... the accelerometers in the nunchuck should do it.

119828-1-2.jpg

I find this particular pic absolutely amazing. It looks beautiful.

I hope the lock-on in Corruption works like this: It only locks your viewpoint to the nearest enemy while pressed, but still allows you to move the crosshair independently withe the pointer while circle-strafing. The crosshair-fixed-to-the-center-lock-on in combination with the pointer controls always seemed arkward to me in the videos. And controlling your left hand with the Wii remote (right hand) while opening those doorlocks makes no sense to me either... the accelerometers in the nunchuck should do it.

That's exactly how the lock-on now works according to Takuhi.

Mudhoney

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
It is in 16:9 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my Sharp is happy !
My TV will be happy also, but was there any doubt? Especially after it was playable in widescreen more than a year ago.

Mudhoney said:
My TV will be happy also, but was there any doubt? Especially after it was playable in widescreen more than a year ago.

I know, but 16:9 is never 100% sure when the developer is Nintendo & co. So, I'm happy to see a definitive confirmation.
What surprises me about that game is that it looks very good and it is not in motion. I would like to see a trailer now.

Mudhoney said:

It wasn't as far as I know.

By the way folks, most of you have probably realised this already, but for those who haven't, it seems we today have received the first official image of Corruption Mode:

119828-6-2.jpg

This game looks fantastic. I hope there are still a lot of areas we havn't seen. The drab colours are cool, but I'd like to some more vibrant, lush, worlds. The controls also sound fantastic, and I'm intrigued by the secrets.

GOTY confirmed.

Tristam

Alkaliine said:
It wasn't as far as I know.

By the way folks, most of you have probably realised this already, but for those who haven't, it seems we today have received the first official image of Corruption Mode:

Corruption mode was also present in one of the trailers released. You'll only see it for a split second though.

The game really looks sharp. And I'm really liking Samus model especially with the little things such as face reflection.

Cheers to Retro!

Tristam said:
Corruption mode was also present in one of the trailers released. You'll only see it for a split second though.

Correct. It featured Samus running through a bunch of enemies (difficult to tell, but they appeared to be space pirates) with a countdown at the top of the screen. Blue particles were coming out of her cannon and her hud and vision was distinctly different.

Takuhi

Alkaliine said:
Awesome. Thanks for those small tidbits, sounds really neat.

You mentioned you faced three bosses. Now, I could be wrong, but were those the Beserker Pirate, then Ridley, then the Defence Mechanoid? Did you face Mogenar?

?

Yeah, those three, in that order. No sign on Mogenar... Is that the first shot of a new environment?

Takuhi said:
Yeah, those three, in that order. No sign on Mogenar... Is that the first shot of a new environment?

Much appreciated for the clarification. Yeah I think I have the opening all sorted out now.

Mogenar appears to be a later boss that you fight some time in the game after you have been corrupted, since that screen is in corruption mode.

It's hard to tell what that environment is, but Mogenar was featured in the demo trailer that was revealed in June 2006. See 0:52 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM4xGBFQYYc

All we know so far is a lava/desert world (see 0:16 of that vid), a city in the sky (which you have played), a snow world (0:48 of vid) and of course the gf ship and planet.

Mudhoney

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Finally we can insert this game in the list of "Wii games that looks gorgeous", alongside with Mario Galaxy, Smash, Zack and Wiki,...
And Dewy's Adventure, in my opinion. :)

big_z

yoopoo said:
"I’m partial to the bloom lighting, it’s a really nice effect, and we could never have done that on GameCube"

Why couldn't they? Zelda GC had bloom.

Tons of ubisoft games had bloom too. :|

Other than better textures on the characters and bloom it looks just like metroid prime imo. Oh and the face looks far better.

I hope there's no light/corrupt world type gimmick this time. I hate it when developers milk shit like that.

This and Galaxy are, for the foreseeable future, the only games that will get me to purchase a Wii. Prime 1 was easily my favourite game of last gen, and I hope they stay away from the mediocrity of Prime 2.

big_z said:
Tons of ubisoft games had bloom too. :|

Other than better textures on the characters and bloom it looks just like metroid prime imo. Oh and the face looks far better.

I hope there's no light/corrupt world type gimmick this time. I hate it when developers milk shit like that.

There's no corrupt world but there is a corrupt Samus.

And I think this game is quite a lot better looking than Metroid Prime. You have to look at everything - it's quite subtle but overall it's a considerable improvement. Bigger improvements, more environmental interaction particularly with npcs and enemies, higher res textures, bloom lighting, particle effects up the wazoo, improved AI, fast loading, and more. All at 60fps too. Good stuff.

can someone tell me what's happened to Ridley lately? i remember reading about killing him in Prime... but apparently he's in Echoes and now you're shooting a laser down his throat in this game? what's the story there?

Mike Works said:
can someone tell me what's happened to Ridley lately? i remember reading about killing him in Prime... but apparently he's in Echoes and now you're shooting a laser down his throat in this game? what's the story there?

He's not in Echoes, but he does return after Prime in Corruption. It seems he wasn't defeated in Prime. And he probably won't be defeated in Corruption, since he comes back in Super Metroid and all.

Blutonium

This looks damn impressive, and I want this pretty bad right now. Too bad I still have to finish Echoes, which has been a total letdown for me so far.

I don't get the whole excitement about the graphical look of the game... I'll fap once I see decent videos... I don't want to troll, but this still looks like gamecube-ish to me... So I'll wait until I get a video

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I totally skipped on Echoes but I definitely won't be missing this epic. It seems they actually set the precedent for console FPS controls which I didn't think they would pull off based on the E3 demo.

Midas

How much do we know about the waggle control? This might get me to buy a Wii, but it all depends on how the controls are. It's impossible, like with Zelda, to play it with a GC controller? Correct?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Midas said:
How much do we know about the waggle control? This might get me to buy a Wii, but it all depends on how the controls are. It's impossible, like with Zelda, to play it with a GC controller? Correct?
Well we know that you cant circle strafe.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
So who is the lead artist over at Retro now because I know the guy responsible for MP1 and Turok 2 art left during Echoes development but whoever this new guy seems to be quite talented. Those enemy designs are amazing.

Midas said:

Here's the low down. There's no GC controller option, shooting in handled via the pointer. morph ball can jump with a flick of the wiimote, sometimes samus opens locks by twisting the remote and pushing/pulling, grapple beam is controlled by flicking the nunchuk forward then pulling it back. I think that's pretty much it.

IfAllElseFailsUseFire said:
I don't get the whole excitement about the graphical look of the game... I'll fap once I see decent videos... I don't want to troll, but this still looks like gamecube-ish to me... So I'll wait until I get a video

You really have to go back and play Echoes.
Echoes still looks great, but it´s not nearly as polished and "round" as Corruption.

About Ridley: Get´s defeated in Metroid 1, i think. Then his space pirate underlings bring him back to life with the help of mechanical items, thus creating Meta-Ridley. Then Meta-Ridley gets defeat in MP1, but falls into the Phazon crater, thus creating Phazon Ridley, or what he´ll be called in MP3.

MasterMFauli said:
You really have to go back and play Echoes.
Echoes still looks great, but it´s not nearly as polished and "round" as Corruption.

About Ridley: Get´s defeated in Metroid 1, i think. Then his space pirate underlings bring him back to life with the help of mechanical items, thus creating Meta-Ridley. Then Meta-Ridley gets defeat in MP1, but falls into the Phazon crater, thus creating Phazon Ridley, or what he´ll be called in MP3.

Ah yes I forgot to mention this. It might be a design choice, but Ridley does seem to have phazon in him as well in Corruption.

jjasper

These look great. Still pissed it comes out the day I go back to school but whatever nothing big happens at school the first week anyway, right?

Alkaliine said:
Nah, between Metroid II and Super Metroid.

Its between 1 and 2.

Top Bottom