• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Prime Corruption screens (retro am gods)

RagnarokX said:
119828-8-2.jpg

Samus is in morphball mode and controlling the mech, I think. We saw her doing something like this in the previous trailers.

Wait....

Metroid Prime Ride Armor!?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Rezbit

EphemeralDream said:
The last fanboy is in captivity. The galaxy, is at peace.

:lol :lol Excellent.

These screens look awesome. There is some absolutely crazy architecture going on in some of those shots. High-tech Chozo wtf?

I believe that could be a testament to how talented Retro was on the GCN. They pumped out some excellent looking titles... absolutely stunning.

I'm waiting with bated breath to be blown away by MP3. I think there's still some places and events that are absolutely going to floor us.

NotWii

Banned
Metroid Prime 3 Gamepro Interview
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=119768

Metroid Prime 3 Play Interview
http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.showGamePage&Game_ID=578&page=2

I don't think this was mentioned anywhere in the forum
Shamelessly stolen from go-nintendo

If Nintendo came to you and said, "We really liked the Prime series, and we want to a boxed set of all three games, but we'd need you to adapt the first two games to the Wii-mote." How long would it take to adapt those old games to the Wii-mote?

Oh, you're talking about code that's six, seven years old, so I can't answer that without diving into it.

Though for the Tokyo Game Show, a couple years ago, we did take Metroid Prime 2 code and adapt it to the Wii controller, and that took a couple months. But to really do it right, and really incorporate all the features of MP1 and MP2, it would take a while. It's just hard to really answer that without diving into it.

It's a great idea, though.

Play: You’ve shown a version of Metroid Prime 2 that used this control scheme at the Tokyo Game Show, and Capcom is now re-releasing Resident Evil 4 with Wii controls. Is that something you’ve thought about doing with Metroid Prime 1 and 2?

MK: You know, that’s not a bad idea. Would you think that would be something of interest to the Metroid audience?

Play: Absolutely. It would be hard to go back to the GameCube versions after getting used to this control scheme.

MK: Well, that’s something to think about!

They're asking the right questions!
Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 deserve a second chance.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
LCGeek said:
I love retro's work but I may as well get the inevitable troll comment out the way, still looks like a gamecube game :D

C'mon now.

It doesn't look like a NGC's game anymore, if anything I'd say that I'm definitely pleased at how it turned out in those pics, even more when bearing in mind that Primes games always made a hell of a difference when seen in motion.

A resounding bravo to Retro Studios.

Takuhi

Death_Born said:
Wait....

Metroid Prime Ride Armor!?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Man, I wish.

That mech suit
belongs to one of the other Hunters.
It's so über-badass in the game. I asked if Samus would ever be able to ride it, and the answer was
alas, no

Takuhi said:
Man, I wish.

That mech suit
It's so über-badass in the game. I asked if Samus would ever be able to ride it, and the answer was
alas, no

Retro partial fail.

The rest still looks hot.

TheWolf

Banned
shit i cannot wait. the new musical score sounds like it's going to be awesome. they answered all the questions correctly.

Linkup

TheWolf said:
shit i cannot wait. the new musical score sounds like it's going to be awesome. they answered all the questions correctly.

Yeah, it was an unusually good interview with good questions. Anyway, I think it will look great when all is said and done.

Takuhi said:
Man, I wish.

That mech suit
alas, no

Did you manage to see Rundus?

And can you give me some impressions on:

1. The music quality
2. The controls (compared to other Wii FPS)

Please?

That would be so good if you could.

Tristam

beelzebozo said:
i wish the graphics retards would champion another cause. it ruins the air of metroid love up in this piece

Well they picked a strange thread, since Corruption looks awesome.

holy.... Improvement total indeed. I hope the controls
are going to be At least as sharp as the graphics.

Speaking of improvements, i am getting much better at using my iPhone keyboard to type messages. I might actually get decent at this in another week or so :)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Why did you guys bump this thread from 2004? Or is it from 2002?

Tristam

Alkaliine said:

1. The music quality

Please?

The controls were already addressed here.

But I would like to know the quality of the voice acting and the music.

Takuhi said:
Man, I wish.

That mech suit
alas, no

I couldn't see them, so i'm asking for your overall impression of the game, graphics, audio, control, any little touches you noted, Anything.

I wonder what these WiiConnect24 features are going to be?
I'm very happy with the new screenshots though

Tristam said:
The controls were already addressed here.

But I would like to know the quality of the voice acting and the music.

Yeah yeah I know but i just want to know more. :lol

That reminds me.

Takuhi, was there a lock on button (with Z) in the demo, or did they remove it due to the accuracy of the controllers? If it does still exist, did you use it often?

Alkaliine said:
No kidding. The amount of xbox fans coming in here is ridiculous. Obviously Wii isn't on the same level but Retro has done a great job with the series...save Prime 2. That made me physically ill.

Tristam

CrushDance said:
No kidding. The amount of xbox fans coming in here is ridiculous. Obviously Wii isn't on the same level but Retro has done a great job with the series...save Prime 2. That made me physically ill.

Hell, I thought that was a strong point of Echoes. The dark world was so oppressive, intense, and extremely stressful.

Tristam said:
Hell, I thought that was a strong point of Echoes. The dark world was so oppressive, intense, and extremely stressful.

There's varied views on this. I guess both points are legitimate - the Dark World is not enjoyable to be in, but on the other hand, in that sense Retro achieved their goal of creating an alien, oppressive environment that was horrible.

methodman

Banned
CrushDance said:

...??? Gahiggidy is... :lol :lol

Takuhi

Alkaliine said:

1. The music quality

Please?

Yeah, I think Rundus was the third Hunter? He didn't appear as much in the demo as the other two.

1. The music was great in the first level. There were a lot of event scenes and it was particularly intense in those, but even in actual gameplay the music was much more active and upbeat overall than Echoes' ambient BGM. In the sky ruins area (which was the second level of the demo, but not the second area of the game) it was much more ambient, mostly just wind sounds. One of the Nintendo guys was raving about how amazing it sounded with the surround-sound headphones, but it was in mono in the demo for some reason.

2. I haven't played all the Wii FPS's, but I'm not aware of any that use this particular control scheme. Like most games, you move along your current axis with the analog stick (forward, back, and side-to-side), but you can also lock into an object with the Z-trigger (I think?) in which case you move only in relation to that object, so by pressing left and right you will circle around whatever you have locked in, and of course it will always be at the certain of your screen for targeting.
You always aim by pointing directly at your target, and there is NO lock-on targeting or aim assists. You aim freely within your bounding box and move the camera by pointing towards the edge of the screen. There are three levels of sensitivity to this, which vary the size of the invisible bounding box and the speed at which you turn. I think the Standard setting is typical FPS speed and sensitivity, but advanced is crazy fast, allowing you to turn 90 or 180 degrees in fractions of a second. I never set other games on fast sensitivity settings because it looks jerky and disorienting, but for some reason, Corruption works great on the Advanced setting. It has something to do with the way the movement smoothly accelerates and decelerates, I think. Or maybe just the level of fine movement you can make with your whole arm as opposed to just your thumb.

Wow, got a little wordy there. Short version: Best first-person controls I've ever experienced on the Wii, and dramatically superior to Prime 1 and 2 GameCube pad controls.

shibbs

Finally some new screens, looks awesome! I can not wait for this game, MP1 is probably my best game ever so hopefully this is going to be even better.

Takuhi

Alkaliine said:
Yeah yeah I know but i just want to know more. :lol

That reminds me.

Takuhi, was there a lock on button (with Z) in the demo, or did they remove it due to the accuracy of the controllers? If it does still exist, did you use it often?

I think I hit that in my crazy-long post above (I'm passionate about this one, okay?) but yes and no—you can use the Z button to lock onto objects for the purpose of moving in relation to them and keeping them centered on the screen. But there is no auto-targeting for locked-on objects (although maybe that's an option in the grandma-friendly Basic control mode?).

Takuhi said:
Yeah, I think Rundus was the third Hunter? He didn't appear as much in the demo as the other two.

1. The music was great in the first level. There were a lot of event scenes and it was particularly intense in those, but even in actual gameplay the music was much more active and upbeat overall than Echoes' ambient BGM. In the sky ruins area (which was the second level of the demo, but not the second area of the game) it was much more ambient, mostly just wind sounds. One of the Nintendo guys was raving about how amazing it sounded with the surround-sound headphones, but it was in mono in the demo for some reason.

2. I haven't played all the Wii FPS's, but I'm not aware of any that use this particular control scheme. Like most games, you move along your current axis with the analog stick (forward, back, and side-to-side), but you can also lock into an object with the Z-trigger (I think?) in which case you move only in relation to that object, so by pressing left and right you will circle around whatever you have locked in, and of course it will always be at the certain of your screen for targeting.
You always aim by pointing directly at your target, and there is NO lock-on targeting or aim assists. You aim freely within your bounding box and move the camera by pointing towards the edge of the screen. There are three levels of sensitivity to this, which vary the size of the invisible bounding box and the speed at which you turn. I think the Standard setting is typical FPS speed and sensitivity, but advanced is crazy fast, allowing you to turn 90 or 180 degrees in fractions of a second. I never set other games on fast sensitivity settings because it looks jerky and disorienting, but for some reason, Corruption works great on the Advanced setting. It has something to do with the way the movement smoothly accelerates and decelerates, I think. Or maybe just the level of fine movement you can make with your whole arm as opposed to just your thumb.

Wow, got a little wordy there. Short version: Best first-person controls I've ever experienced on the Wii, and dramatically superior to Prime 1 and 2 GameCube pad controls.

Awesome, thanks heaps, much appreciated.

Just one thing though i'm a bit confused on, you said you could lock-on with Z, but then later on you said there is no lock-on targeting. Can you clear this up for me?

Takuhi said:
I think I hit that in my crazy-long post above (I'm passionate about this one, okay?) but yes and no—you can use the Z button to lock onto objects for the purpose of moving in relation to them and keeping them centered on the screen. But there is no auto-targeting for locked-on objects (although maybe that's an option in the grandma-friendly Basic control mode?).

Oh I see. So iit is somewhat similar to prime in that the focus is placed on the single target, and you move in relation to that target (so moving left or right will strafe around the target in a circle) BUT unlike Prime, you still have to aim you shots manually at the target.

Takuhi

DefectiveReject said:
I couldn't see them, so i'm asking for your overall impression of the game, graphics, audio, control, any little touches you noted, Anything.

I wonder what these WiiConnect24 features are going to be?
I'm very happy with the new screenshots though

No problem, I'm happy to elaborate.

Here's a bonus question from the interview.

Play: I was wondering if you could elaborate a little bit on the previously mentioned WiiConnect24 features?

Retro: No.

[laughter]

[awkward silence]

But they said later that they would probably be able to talk more about it at E3.

Lord Phol

Just got a quicky, do you have to finish the other games before atempting this one?
Story-wise that is (Prime, Prime 2, Hunters).

This games is actually turning out pretty darn groovy,
and I'm starting to get the Metroid vibes here. :3

Tristam

Lord Phol said:
Just got a quicky, do you have to finish the other games before atempting this one?
Story-wise that is (Prime, Prime 2, Hunters).

This games is actually turning out pretty darn groovy,
and I'm starting to get the Metroid vibes here. :3

Hunters has nothing to do with the Prime trilogy.

With Prime and Echoes, you can read the story on GameFAQs or something. But I'd recommend both anyways because they're incredible games.

JDSN

Banned
Hey Takuhi, any comments about the voice acting of the game?

Thanks for answering the questions btw.

Takuhi said:

Play: I was wondering if you could elaborate a little bit on the previously mentioned WiiConnect24 features?

[laughter]

[awkward silence]

But they said later that they would probably be able to talk more about it at E3.

Awesome.

Takuhi

Alkaliine said:
Oh I see. So iit is somewhat similar to prime in that the focus is placed on the single target, and you move in relation to that target (so moving left or right will strafe around the target in a circle) BUT unlike Prime, you still have to aim you shots manually at the target.

Yes, exactly. And that is also how you lock on with stuff like the grappling hook.

A few other things I noticed since y'all have made me dig out my Metroid notes:

• You can waggle the Wiimote to jump as a Morph Ball without planting a bomb. (Although you still need bombs to double-jump.)

• They implied that you can use the ship-control visor to order your ship (from the ground) to do strafing runs on foes.

Takuhi said:

[laughter]

[awkward silence]

Ha Ha
I wonder what it is then, if they can't talk about it, and all the WiiConnect24 use so far is sending screen captures, and scores.

GAF Speculation ....... Commence

Rezbit

Takuhi said:
• You can waggle the Wiimote to jump as a Morph Ball without planting a bomb. (Although you still need bombs to double-jump.)

:O Springball is back! At least in some form...

Takuhi

JDSN said:
Hey Takuhi, any comments about the voice acting of the game?

They sounded pretty good! Pretty professional for the main parts, kind of generic for the soldiers on the field (as you'd expect). I asked if there were any known voice actors and they said they were all recorded locally in Texas, so apparently not.

Also, they refused to comment on whether or not a voice actor was hired for Samus. Which surely means yes, right?

Takuhi said:
Yes, exactly. And that is also how you lock on with stuff like the grappling hook.

A few other things I noticed since y'all have made me dig out my Metroid notes:

• They implied that you can use the ship-control visor to order your ship (from the ground) to do strafing runs on foes.

Awesome. Thanks for those small tidbits, sounds really neat.

You mentioned you faced three bosses. Now, I could be wrong, but were those the Beserker Pirate, then Ridley, then the Defence Mechanoid? Did you face Mogenar?

119828-6-2.jpg

?

Top Bottom